✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official Gorillaz Thread

crackerjack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Interesting. It looked like it was just short of a sell out when I was there.

As for The Fall, I find it intriguing. It's definitely sounding like an album that fits somewhere pre-Demon Days in terms of the sound. I wonder if Damon's keen to go back to that in the future? And there is a lack of 'commercial' or radio-singles on this... interesting considering I read in a recent interview that he longs for radio play and recorded Doncamatic specifically for it...

Taking anything away from The Fall, it's very experimental. Some great tracks nonetheless and the best ipad-made album I've EVER HEARD. lol

for those of you who care here is how much damon made while he was in aus

Melbourne

Revenue - $793,722

Tickets Sold - 8,527 out of 8,653

still waiting on the rest of the shows.

also in the process of downloading The Fall!

^Ugh, I don't thikn I wan't to see the ticket sale numbers from my show, it was only about half capacity :(

Good numbers for Melbs though.

Tell us what you think when you've listened to it! :awesome:

they timed their tour very very poorly. they were competing with linkin park, muse, u2 and bon jovi and ended up second worst of (linkin park suffered the most, they did 2 nights in melb but only sold a little over half the tickets)

have they been playing songs from The Fall during their tour?

Well, i think my favourites from The Fall so far are Revolving Doors, Bobby, Amarillo and Little Plastic Bags. I do like the album, but in all honesty i can't help but feel slightly disappointed with it. A lot of the tracks sound like filler to me. On the other hand these are only my first impressions, it may well grow on me after a few more listens.

*braces herself for backlash*

^Just keep in mind he did it on an Ipad and the album was free. If you had to pay for it, I would tolerate people complaining, but here I just don't agree :nice:

Listening to it now for the first time.

FUCKING HELL THIS WAS MADE ON AN IPAD

Damon is a god.

This.

I think songs from The Fall would have maybe killed the vibe a bit at the shows.

Not sure how an iPad would sound played live :P

Haha right, but I'm sure he would work something out, like he plays the melodica, he could play the ipad :tongue:

It's a shame that the venue in Brisbane was just half-full! They had to do 2 nights in Paris and they could've done another one without any problem!

As far as the timing of their tour, I don't think they really cared to compete with other bands. This also seems the only time it would work for all of those involved in the band, so many people to accommodate and many busy schedules to work around.

No backlash! Just remember it's not a hmm how do I put it, it's not really an official album that they plan on promoting and the such, you know? They don't expect it to be the next Demon Days, that's why he didn't want to charge people for it, he knows it's not up to par with the other albums. It's Damon wanting to share his demos that he made on the road. I'm still utterly impressed considering these were all made in a few spare hours on the road, just on an Ipad. And it's free too, it's a nice gift on xmas, and it's just great him being experimental. He did the same thing during Blur's Think Tank tour through the US in' 03 with the Democrazy demos. That's just him, exploring what he can do on the road and with his new toy err ipad :D.

I'm with Liz; this isn't your common album that they would want to sell. If it was, they'd be selling it from the beginning. Then again, he didn't tamper with it after the songs have been recorder so you can't expect the album to have the same quality as those made in a studio have.

^Just keep in mind he did it on an Ipad and the album was free. If you had to pay for it, I would tolerate people complaining, but here I just don't agree :nice:

Haha right, but I'm sure he would work something out, like he plays the melodica, he could play the ipad :tongue:

It's a shame that the venue in Brisbane was just half-full! They had to do 2 nights in Paris and they could've done another one without any problem!

Agree!

Haha, the melodica is awesome, I'd love to learn how to play one of them :P

I think it's really a matter of how you approach the new album... If you expect it to be up to the standard of the albums you'll probably be disappointed because, well, Damon hasn't spent the time or effort or used the resources he would normally use to make an album. It's just an ipda with a couple of instruments sprinkled here and there and some vocals thrown on top :P (to put it simply)

I wasn't really sure what to expect from the album (and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I had no clue about the music-making abilities of an iPad) so was pleasantly surprised when I heard it!

they timed their tour very very poorly. they were competing with linkin park, muse, u2 and bon jovi and ended up second worst of (linkin park suffered the most, they did 2 nights in melb but only sold a little over half the tickets)

have they been playing songs from The Fall during their tour?

So basically, you're say there was only one good band touring? How is that bad timing? Anybody who wants to see Linkin Park and Bon Jovi over Gorillaz might as well request assisted suicide.

With regards to The Fall I was hoping it was going to be a cover album of Fall songs, since he had Mark E Smith on Plastic Beach, but oh well. It was OK and worth a listen. My favourite is Hillbilly Man.

It seems that i missed the listening party, such a shame. Merry Late Christmas to all...

I'm loving The Fall, it's reminiscence of Phase 1 material and the fact that we got more of Damon this time is superb. I have to say that i'm loving it a bit more than PB (strange, i know).

I should do a review later; for now i'll say Revolving Doors is one of my favourites at the moment.

Aww but those songs were amazing :D I do agree that it's not better than PB but I still like it alot! My favourite songs so far are Hillbilly Man and Bobby in Pheonix :)

I agree! Especially White Flag. It's a beautiful song. The message could easily be really cheesy, but it's just not.

Damon is a god.

I know!! I still can't believe it was made on ipad. He really is! So amazing.

As far as the timing of their tour, I don't think they really cared to compete with other bands. This also seems the only time it would work for all of those involved in the band, so many people to accommodate and many busy schedules to work around.

No backlash! Just remember it's not a hmm how do I put it, it's not really an official album that they plan on promoting and the such, you know? They don't expect it to be the next Demon Days, that's why he didn't want to charge people for it, he knows it's not up to par with the other albums. It's Damon wanting to share his demos that he made on the road. I'm still utterly impressed considering these were all made in a few spare hours on the road, just on an Ipad. And it's free too, it's a nice gift on xmas, and it's just great him being experimental. He did the same thing during Blur's Think Tank tour through the US in' 03 with the Democrazy demos. That's just him, exploring what he can do on the road and with his new toy err ipad :D.

^All of this.

I think the album is really just a kind of diary of his experiences or impressions as he was touring. I find that really interesting. It's amazing just how prolific he is. I don't know how he does it. But I think these songs are really song ideas or the bare bones of a song rather than fully finished, if you know what I mean. I think they are amazing as they are! It's kinda like how people were saying that PB was rushed by the record company. They wanted to get it out faster than Damon really wanted, and it kinda makes sense when you see how 'Broken' for example was expanded and improved with the hypnotic brass.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I really really like this album. I think revolving doors is still my favourite at the minute.

Aww but those songs were amazing :D I do agree that it's not better than PB but I still like it alot! My favourite songs so far are Hillbilly Man and Bobby in Pheonix :)

I agree! Especially White Flag. It's a beautiful song. The message could easily be really cheesy, but it's just not.

Damon is a god.

^All of this.

I think the album is really just a kind of diary of his experiences or impressions as he was touring. I find that really interesting. It's amazing just how prolific he is. I don't know how he does it. But I think these songs are really song ideas or the bare bones of a song rather than fully finished, if you know what I mean. I think they are amazing as they are! It's kinda like how people were saying that PB was rushed by the record company. They wanted to get it out faster than Damon really wanted, and it kinda makes sense when you see how 'Broken' for example was expanded and improved with the hypnotic brass.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I really really like this album. I think revolving doors is still my favourite at the minute.

So the Vector Arena date is the last Gorillaz concert ever, or is the las time Damon is going to play with the whole collective (Mick, Paul, Cass, Jeff, Gabriel, Mike, Jesse, etc)?

I do understand he needs to take a break for touring and be with his family... oh well, i'm sure i'll get another chance in the next few years.

Meh, I can't see him putting Gorillaz shows away forever, always says daft stuff like that. I think he meant with that specific crew of people. They all seemed to have a blast together and even all the get the same tattoos :P I bet it was a sad last night, so that's what I'm thinking he meant.

I'm (several days) late to the party (I hadn't had many chances to go online recently), but fhjdfhsdhfs The Fall!

Before hearing it, I was kind of using democrazy as a marker of what it might sound like, and was expecting it to be pretty minimal and sketchy, not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, but the songs definitely seem to have more depth than I was expecting. I'm liking it a lot. Also, despite the simplicity of the recording, there's so much creativity and resourcefulness there, I think. For example, I love the use of the telephone interference thing, the station annoucement, etc.

I'd probably be able to say more when I've heard it a couple more times, but I'd say my favourites at the moment are-

Little pink plastic bags

Amarillo

Aspen Forest

Revovling Doors

California+the slipping of the sun

^All of this.

I completely agree, I really like the whole experimention with different ways of producing and releasing music. It's so interesting to have a chance to listen to something quite spontaenously created- it's like looking at an artist's sketchbook, or as you said a diary. I like thinking of it as a diary actually, as it really seems to capture the on the road, travelling feel.

I also really like hearing the way songs evolve, and since you mentioned Broken, I love the way that song was expanded on in the hypnotic brass version! That is the epic ending that song deserves imo!

So basically, you're say there was only one good band touring? How is that bad timing? Anybody who wants to see Linkin Park and Bon Jovi over Gorillaz might as well request assisted suicide.

With regards to The Fall I was hoping it was going to be a cover album of Fall songs, since he had Mark E Smith on Plastic Beach, but oh well. It was OK and worth a listen. My favourite is Hillbilly Man.

Haha! Oh Greg <3

Maybe worth a few listens? :tongue:

Meh, I can't see him putting Gorillaz shows away forever, always says daft stuff like that. I think he meant with that specific crew of people. They all seemed to have a blast together and even all the get the same tattoos :P I bet it was a sad last night, so that's what I'm thinking he meant.

Crossing my fingers that you're right!

He should never get rid of his Clash sandwich though D: