✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official Gorillaz Thread

crackerjack

OK! Sorry for taking so long! I've had a really busy week and I've only just gotten home for christmas in the last couple of days

And yeah I've been on here a couple of times in the last couple of days but wanted to get the review right before sharing it with you guys!

We (for future reference, this refers to my brother and myself) arrived at the venue pretty early, and were the first ones there. In my boredom I started tweeting Rosie, who said she would try to come and say hello to us! (:D) Unfortunately this didn’t happen, but nevertheless it got us pretty damn excited for a bit. Eventually a few more people turned up, then a few more, and we decided to get out the deck of cards my bro had decided to bring to keep us entertained while we waited at the gates. In the end there were about 14 of us (in 4 different groups) playing cards (they were jumbo-size :P). Anyway, it was good fun.

(That wasn’t completely irrelevant, btw… you’ll see :p)

Thanks to our being so early, we got front row, just right of centre – perfect spot!

Little Dragon was cute, and De La Soul were brilliant at warming the crowd, their set was a LOT of fun.

And then, finally, GORILLAZ.

My setlist was the same as Alex’s, actually. They started with the Orchestral Intro - of course not much really happened during this song, but as soon as the bass for Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach started and Snoop Dogg appeared on the screen, the crowd went crazy! This song is probably my least favourite song on the new album, but it translated brilliantly live (that bass is deadly!), and The Hypnotic Brass ensemble were sensational!

Next up were Last Living Souls (which is always a great tune) and then 19-2000, which is one of my favourites from the first album, and it was fantastic! Stylo was next – my what a song! Bobby Womack just adds SO much to the song, and in a live setting it went off. Incredible.

On Melancholy Hill was next, and although I guess I agree with Alex that it sounded a little flat, it’s nevertheless one of my favourite tracks of the year so lapped it up and sang as loud as I could. Next were Rhinestone Eyes (another favourite of mine) and then Superfast Jellyfish, which were also received very well by the crowd – you could tell that Plastic Beach was more well-known among the crowd than their older material. Then the melodica came out for Tomorrow Comes Today, before Little Dragon joined them onstage for a brilliant rendition of Empire Ants.

Broken was played next, with Damon clearly really getting into it, which I though was an amazing feat after playing this song show after show after show on the world tour – this goes for the whole concert of course, you wouldn’t know they’d been on the road for more than a year now! Dirty Harry was played next (Bootie Brown = awesome!!), to a very enthusiastic crowd, followed by a slower El Mañana – for some reason I wasn’t expecting this song to be played so I was SO happy when they played it! After then introducing the Syrian National Orchestra, these guys played a little jam and then launched into White Flag, which I thought was brilliant. And of course, out came the infamous white flag and Damon looked like he was having a great time waving it around for a bit before he just started spinning on the spot – I swear he did that for about half the song, I couldn’t believe it when he was able to actually walk afterwards!

Little Dragon came back onstage for a touching performance of To Binge – those two are so cute onstage, you can really feel the passion they both have for the music! And of course, the performance itself was just… beautiful.

The energy in the room then changed dramatically as they started playing DARE – one of everyone’s favourites! The energy was wild and the crowd (including myself, of course) went nuts. And Rosie was great onstage! Next was Glitter Freeze, which I thought translated really well live, and the crowd was dancing away for the entirety of it. Then they played Punk, which was pretty much a couple of minutes of pure madness onstage, involving Damon playfully kicking down a roadie as he was adjusting his microphone lead. Plastic Beach ended the main set, with Damon running around the stage and hugging Mick Jones :P

Cloud of Unknowing – the first song of the encore. Bobby Womack is a legend, there’s no other word for it. Granted, I’d never really heard of him before Gorillaz introduced him to me, but WOW, that man can sing. And he was so humble about the whole thing, even asking the crowd in the middle of the song if he was “doing OK.” After a hearfelt farewell by Damon to Bobby, De La Soul came back onstage and introduced Feel Good Inc. with that manic laugh that immediately had the crowd screaming with joy for the band’s most popular song, over here at least.

Next was Clint Eastwood - this is where things really got interesting! Going back to my cards story at the start – before we entered the venue my brother and I had a conversation that pretty much went like this:

Him: what am I going to do with these cards?

Me: I dunno, throw them out..?

Him: No I don’t want to do that… *turns to person next to him* Here, have a card

Me: wait! How about this… when we get in there, we hand them out to everyone around us and get them to take it out during a song everyone knows… how about during Clint Eastwood?

I know that probably sounds a bit weird, but that’s what we did. We handed the cards out when we got our spots in the mosh and told people to wave them about during Clint Eastwood, and hoped that it would work out.

When those first four drumbeats of the song played I took my card out of my pocket and everyone who had a card followed suit (no pun intended…) so suddenly there were 50 or so people at the front and centre of the mosh waving these jumbo playing cards around. It took Damon a little bit to notice, but when he did, his reaction was priceless - probably the best part of my night – he was completely baffled! (well, why wouldn’t you be?) He made a few “wtf?” gestures at us, laughed a little during the first chorus, and then proceeded to go about the stage excitedly, pointing us out to all the different band members. Then my brother threw his card onto the stage and later Damon picked it up, pretended to be scared (?) of it, and pretend-fainted :laugh3:

I don’t know why I’m trying to explain it to you though, because I found a video someone posted on youtube of the song, see for yourself! He starts to notice us at about 35s in :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobbXm5SQ_g]Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (Brisbane Entertainment Centre, 19 Dec 2010)[/ame]

I don’t know how this seems to you guys, being outsiders to the gig, but it really made my night.

Tbh I didn’t really take much notice of anything else that happened during the song, I was too high over the response we got from Damon :P

They then started playing Don’t Get Lost in Heaven, and I immediately felt a tinge of sadness as I knew the end of the gig was approaching – but not enough to make any difference, and the song was so beautiful to hear live. Finally, they played Demon Days… like everyone else has said, these two songs really were the perfect way to end the show.

Another bit of background info now… I'd brought along a sign to the concert with me, not really sure why because I’d never brought a sign to a concert before and probably won’t ever again (they’re too annoying) but I did – just a simple one, black marker on white cardboard saying “Merry x-mas Gorillaz”

Anyway, I didn’t really bring it out during the concert because I was too busy dancing, clapping and taking photos, plus I didn’t want to block people’s views by holding it up – it just stayed between the barrier and myself. However, I took the sign out during the ‘Don’t Get Lost in Heaven’ and just held it at the level of the barrier, not particularly trying to make them see it or anything. After Damon sung his little part at the beginning of Demon Days (on the monitor/speaker directly in front of me), he stayed looking at the ground for a bit so I took the chance and gently tilted the sign, without lifting it up, so he could read it. As soon as he raised his eyes I saw him reading the sign, and then he looked me in the eyes, touched his hand to his heart and blew me a kiss, which I did in return. Pretty sure my knees nearly gave way :P

Again, a perfect way to end the gig and with much sadness (but at the same time filled with elation) I watched the band leave the stage for the last time.

After the gig, we went around the back to try and meet the band. We got there and a few minutes later we saw an airport bus with tinted windows leave… we can only assume it was them because we couldn’t actually see into the bus, but we waved anyway. No-one would have come out anyway because it was raining (somewhat heavily… we had to try really hard not to get our merch wet), but I didn’t really mind.

The most disappointing thing about the gig was the fact that the venue was only at half its capacity… shame on you, Brisbane :disappointed:. I must admit I was a little disappointed Jamie didn’t make an appearance, but now I understand why thanks to Alex’s review. I was also a little disappointed that we missed out on O Green World and Kids With Guns – but you can’t have them all, right? Our setlists were a little shorter than some of their overseas shows, but I really don’t care because what they played was more than enough to leave me feeling overwhelmed at… the whole thing! Damon sang with such passion and enthusiasm, and seeing as it was the second last night of the entire world tour this was no mean feat and everyone showed their appreciation.

So there you go.

Hands down my favourite gig of the year, and I’ve seen quite a few artists (not quite as many as Alex though) in this last 12 months.

Oh and Perrine, you were right – I forgot about Muse and U2 quickly enough! :P

Now catching up to what's been happening in this thread... LESS THAN 24 HOURS TIL THE NEW ALBUM! I'm not expecting too much seeing as it was made on an iPad, but it should still be amazing :wacky:

Unfortunately I'm 10 hours ahead of the UK it'll feel like ages :P

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures!

Unfortunately my camera took terrible photos, this one was probably the best:

68284_478803312372_679612372_6443965_4991914_n.jpg

Thankfully, I made friends with the people standing next to me and they took much better and clearer photos, so here are some:

16613917630290824541440.jpg

63389176302776242114409.jpg

16561747726087936978210.jpg

67160477260779369782109.jpg

74682176303344256314409.jpg

16386547726041936978210.jpg

16379247726089436978210.jpg

16405247726094436978210.jpg

AWWW that was a lovely review, Grace. Damon is just too sweet I swear. The cards idea was smart!

Found this on tumblr too, he pulls the cutest/goofiest faces in fan pics. And the ever hovering Smoggy back there :P I still crack up every time I look at my pic with him. YOUR FACE IS TOO MUCH, SIR.

tumblr_ldomrfIwcd1qz9wquo1_500.jpg

Thanks lizzybear for the vm. For some reason I can't message you back. Holy crap I can't believe The Fall is only hours away!! Very excited. Was great to read your review grace lol we are freakishly alike in our appreciation for music! Except I don't get there as early!! As for the card thing that is hilarious! I love Damon he is always in such a playful mood, like a hyper child. So many other artists would have ignored it!! And Perrine you were right as I said this gig trumped muse and u2!!

Grace this is a wonderful review! So happy you had a grat time. I can't watch the video now but I'm sure it was all of fun!!

AWWW that was a lovely review, Grace. Damon is just too sweet I swear. The cards idea was smart!

Found this on tumblr too, he pulls the cutest/goofiest faces in fan pics. And the ever hovering Smoggy back there :P I still crack up every time I look at my pic with him. YOUR FACE IS TOO MUCH, SIR.

Thanks guys :wacky:

Haha, Smoggy is great! I wanted to say hi at the gig but didn't want to bother him :P

Thanks lizzybear for the vm. For some reason I can't message you back. Holy crap I can't believe The Fall is only hours away!! Very excited. Was great to read your review grace lol we are freakishly alike in our appreciation for music! Except I don't get there as early!! As for the card thing that is hilarious! I love Damon he is always in such a playful mood, like a hyper child. So many other artists would have ignored it!! And Perrine you were right as I said this gig trumped muse and u2!!

Must be in the air..? You get why I get there so early though right? :P

Yeah, I knew if we did something completely random like that we would get a bit of attention from him, which, now that you mention it, is actually quite rare for an artist with so much international acclaim. He's just too damn amazing for his own good sometimes :awesome:

Only... what, 13 hours? 'til THE FALL! :awesome:

Awww guys, thanks for your reviews! Got goosebumps while reading them, I miss it so much :sad:

So glad you had a great time, and I think we'll all agree this was the best show of the year (told ya haha). I think that's amazing we all got to see the same show all around the world!

Oh Grace, the cards thing seemed so fun! And Damon blowing you a kiss fhiswfhsfkjh

Aren't his eyes just printed in your brain now? Cause it's still that for me :heart:

Alex, your review was so well written! I wish I could write like that :nice:

@Liz: Omg that face, just priceless hahaha

Awesome review, Grace :D The video is really great too, so funny when Damon picks up the card and faints! :lol: I'm going to try and write my review of one of the times I've seen Gorillaz but I'm not sure which to pick... plus I'm awful at that sort of thing but I'll give it a shot :rolleyes:

Also if anyones still interested... my band have a few live videos up here :D

Oh and another thing... I just got sent the Sub-Divisioners download link but I'm going to leave it until I wake up just to make tomorrow even better! Have a lovely Christmas everyone :santa: :santa3: :santa2: P.S If anyone happens to catch Coldplay on Top of the Pops tomorrow, look out for me in the front row wearing Christmas lights

Well I said I wasn't going to download it but it was too tempting. I tried to resist but I clicked the download button and we can't even get to it yet, that site is incredibly frustrating sometimes so I'm going to use the link here. Thank you guys! :P

EDIT: Oh actually I found the actual Sub-Division download, in such a crazy place on the page :D