✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

***The official "Editors" thread***

badlydrawngirl

Hey, this forum is getting better and better. You even have an "official editors thread".

I only know their album. But they released a special edition and an ep ("Sparks") with some new songs. Does anybody know them and are they as good as the other songs?

My favourite songs are Fall and Munich, by the way!

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooooh excellent photos!! and wow, you had a pic with Tom! Legend!!!!! His voice is so so awesome! :dead:

Oh fuck!! I was just about to ask you if they were going to do a show in NY.....lol...then I saw.....you're from there!!!! lol!!! you dont think Editors will still be in NY over the next few days do you? hehe Im going to NY!

No editing required for Brit band

THE EDITORS came to the Fillmore in San Francisco carrying the weight of the world, aka a nomination for this year's Mercury Music Prize.

The Editors aren't the favorites to win the award, which ranks as the most prestigious trophy in the British music industry.

The heavyweights in the division are the Arctic Monkeys, Muse and Radiohead's Thom Yorke. The Editors, although they'd never admit it, are probably hoping that one of those other three names is called come September.

Who would blame them?

Many previous winners have hardly followed up receiving the prize by having distinguished careers. Past winners include Suede, M People, Talvin Singh and Badly Drawn Boy not exactly acts that went on to become household names. Past losers? Well, that group includes U2, Oasis, Radiohead, Coldplay and David Bowie.

The year that defines the Mercury Music Prize, at least in my book, is 1997, when Radiohead, nominated for the alltime great “OK Computer,” lost to Roni Size and the Reprazent's “New Forms.”

Oops.

So, given the award's history, it might not be a bad thing if the Editors don't win. Losing would allow them to mature at a more natural rate, without all the added hype that comes with a Mercury win, and perhaps develop into a firstrate rock band.

Based on the British group's performance on Monday night at the Fillmore, it seems that the Editors are well on their way to achieving that ranking.

Having started three years ago in Birmingham, England, the Editors have quickly become a very powerful live act.

Credit much of that to charismatic frontmanvocalistguitarist Tom Smith, who exudes so much stage presence that he often completely eclipses the other three players lead guitarist Chris Urbanowicz, drummer Ed Lay and bassist Russell Leetch.

Opening the show in convincing fashion with the hypnotic rocker “Someone Says,” the quartet evoked the dense, dark sounds of such alltime greats as Depeche Mode, Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen as it drove through the songs from the 2005 debut “The Back Room.” The Joy Division comparison was particularly valid during the first selection, as the band seemed to transport the crowd back to early '80s Manchester with its fiery, borderingonchaotic performance. It was the type of song that makes one want to grab two pints of lager — one to drink and one to pour over the head to cool off.

Smith's voice sounded both refreshingly new and eerily familiar as the band continued through "All Sparks" and "Fall" during this soldout show. His deep voice, falling somewhere near the border of tenor and baritone, haunts listeners in the same way that Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan does or Joy Division's Ian Curtis did.

There are few greater compliments that you can lay at the feet of a young vocalist operating in the neopostpunk genre than comparing him to Curtis — yet Smith earned that compliment on this night.

Further strengthening the lofty comparisons, especially to Gahan, is Smith's knack with theatrics. He doesn't just sing — he performs. He uses his movements to reenforce the lyrical messages. That doesn't mean he's a clown. He just does the little things, such as hugging himself while singing the sensitive lyrics to "Blood," which cumulatively add up to an engaging performance for the viewer.

For a group with only one album to its credit, the Editors deserve praise for not having to use unwanted filler or simply stall for time to fill up their set. In other words — and, please, pardon the pun — this was a show that didn't need editing.

The band closed its main set with great takes on "Blood," a tune that strongly recalled the Psychedelic Furs, and the powerful Coldplayesque anthem "Open Your Arms." The Editors then returned for an equally enjoyable encore, highlighted by a cover of the Talking Heads' "Road to Nowhere."

In all, the band proved at the Fillmore that — with or without a Mercury Music Prize victory — it certainly appears to be on the road to somewhere.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_4160920

We don't want to win the Mercury

Editors are poised to take over from Coldplay as the new masters of navel-gazing stadium rock. As they return to UK stages, they tell Paul Lester why success is going to be on their own terms

They may have been dubbed "Britain's gloomiest band" by the NME, attracting legions of grave young men and ageing devotees of '80s "raincoat rock" acts such as Joy Division, the Cure and the Chameleons, but, on a sweltering Saturday afternoon in San Diego in early August, Editors, the Mercury Prize-nominated Midlands four-piece, prove they are hardly allergic to fun.

At lunchtime in the lobby of the Double Tree hotel, before their performance at the area's annual Street Scene festival, drummer Ed Lay shows me a shiny, black Adidas top he's just blagged ("It's a bit chav," he apologises) before explaining that guitarist Chris Urbanowicz, following the band's performance in Chicago the evening before, has been up all night partying and, as a consequence, went to bed only an hour ago.

"He's been busy romancing," he says. "That's just the way he rolls."

If anyone is responsible for perpetuating Editors' reputation for dour sobriety, it's frontman Tom Smith. Live, he is capable of manic intensity; at the Cardiff Barfly one night in 2005, he threw first his guitar, then himself, violently against the wall, then stormed off, as though possessed.

With Radio 1 presenter Edith Bowman as his live-in girlfriend, he is one half of indie's premier power couple, and yet he is fiercely guarded about his private life.

Last year, he refused to discuss his relationship, and nine months later, it's no different. "It's still absolutely none of your business," he muttered earlier on in the bar of the hotel.

At least he grinned as he said it, something he might not have done before. Surprisingly, he doesn't even seem to mind when I point out that, in the current issue of Heat magazine, there is a feature on Bowman, detailing her apparent crimes against fashion.

In January this year, after a mesmerising performance on Top of the Pops, Editors enjoyed a top-10 hit with Munich, followed by a top-30 entry with Bullets, pushing their album The Back Room, released last summer, back up the charts to number 2.

Of the dozen Mercury Prize nominees, only Arctic Monkeys have outsold their debut, fast approaching the half-a-million mark in the UK alone.

The band's successes have given Smith more confidence and made him almost visibly brighter, even if one of two new songs in their set is titled The Weight of the World. "I feel more comfortable now," he admits. "Things are good in my life."

They were less rosy earlier this year as the band, enduring a relentless schedule to capitalise on global interest, travelled from an American tour to dates in Japan to a prestige slot at the Isle of Wight festival, all the while having to promote material they wrote and recorded long ago.

"I definitely had some difficult periods, especially in the last six months. I was in the worst headspace ever. What caused it? Fatigue, playing the same songs every night, being away from home for so long."

Did he and the band ever come to blows? And if so, who won? "You don't need to ask that - you've seen the size of Russell," he laughs., describing the bass guitarist Russell Leetch.

"No, it wasn't that we argued; it's just that you'd go on stage and feel sapped of all energy. I felt like I was going through the motions. I was thinking, 'What the hell am I doing here?' "

Editors are anything but weary on the festival site, even given the punishing heat. They gladly face glib questions from local radio DJs and website nerds, sit patiently while lines of chubby, goth teens queue up for autographs, play pool, drink beer, and watch intently as Futureheads and Bloc Party perform.

The former have just released their second album; the latter are still recording theirs. Editors, who have the potential to oust Coldplay as the world's leading purveyors of stadium miserablism, with their shimmering guitarscapes propelled by Lay's powerful machine-like rhythms, already know what their second album, due out next spring, won't be like.

"There'll be no songs about life on the road," says Smith. "We haven't burnt out. None of us are coke addicts with oversized egos."

The singer accepts that, like Kasabian and Hard-Fi, his band are less critics' darlings than People's Choice: "It feels like [our success] is a result of word of mouth. People are still discovering us."

He recently got accosted on the London underground by a group of rampaging indie-kids, who taunted him with his own song titles: "Where you getting off, mate? Munich?" and: "This train's going like a Bullet!"

Not that Smith, who recently turned down an offer from Marks & Spencer to be the face of urban alienation, is worried about over-exposure.

"We're pretty faceless," he decides, adding that he doesn't want to win the Mercury award because, "Apart from Franz, no one who's won it has gone on to make better or more successful records."

After numerous comparisons with Joy Division's legendary, tormented frontman Ian Curtis, he's enjoying the fact that new bands are now being compared to Editors.

And with an early-evening performance that leaves the San Diego audience, many of them stocky Mexicans, whooping for more, Editors once again emphatically establish themselves as a band to be reckoned with.

Editors perform on the Channel 4 stage at the V Festival at Hylands Park, Chelmsford, on Sat and Weston Park, Staffordshire, on Sun. Tickets: http://www.vfestival.com.

• 2 weeks later...

'You'd better write nice things, or I'll hunt you down'

editb.jpg

OF ALL THE ARTISTS NOMINATED FOR THIS year's Nationwide Mercury Prize, Midlands four-piece Editors, purveyors of a powerful, dark, brooding sound that echoes the early-1980s angst-rock of Joy Division, The Cure and The Chameleons, must surely be the luckiest. After all, the day their debut album, The Back Room, was released, July 25, 2005, was the very first date on which any of the nominations for the 2006 award could be based; 24 hours earlier and it would have been disallowed.

This hasn't been the band's only stroke of good fortune these past 12 months, however. They've seen The Back Room sell almost half a million copies, making it the second biggest-selling album of all the nominees on the Mercury shortlist bar The Arctic Monkeys' Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. They appeared on Top Of The Pops in January, after which compelling performance their single, Munich, went Top Ten and the album flew back up the charts to Number 2. And they've had that ultimate mark of success: the celebrity endorsement. "The tense and dark atmosphere of Editors' album simply cannot be ignored," Elton John said recently.

Singer/guitarist Tom Smith, whose intensity, manic movements onstage and deep, dark voice have drawn comparisons with Joy Division's Ian Curtis, is nervous about all the attention he and his band have been getting. "I don't want to be a vehicle for other people's misery," he told me last year, when I interviewed Editors backstage at Le Zenith, a stadium on the outskirts of Paris, where they were supporting Franz Ferdinand. He's more nervous still about gaining press coverage for the wrong reasons, particularly his relationship with Radio 1 presenter Edith Bowman.

When I meet the band again early this month in San Diego, where they are appearing at the city's annual Street Scene festival, Smith makes it clear that any discussion of his love-life is out. "It's still absolutely none of your business," he says in the bar of his hotel before we leave for the gig.

Nor is Smith overjoyed at the prospect of winning the Mercury - shortly after the nominations, Editors were second-favourites to win, after Sheffield's finest. "I don't want to win," he says. Last year's brutal skinhead has grown out now into softer brown curls, making Smith seem more boyish. He even smiles. But he's adamant. Why doesn't he want to win? "Because Franz Ferdinand aside, I don't think anyone who's ever won has gone on to make better or more successful records." Has he put money on his band at the bookies? "No." What would he do with the 20 grand, then? "It's funny, me and Ed [Lay, drums] did an interview with Radio 1 about this, and they asked the same question. I said there were a lot of deserving causes that could do with 20 grand. Ed, though, thought we could buy a boat. So we'll either give it to charity ... or buy a boat."

Editors are much better company than you might imagine, despite their forbidding music and intimidating, all-black image. "Britain's gloomiest band," NME called them on their emergence last year, but really, a couple of days on the road with them proves they are anything but. Lay, who is small and cute but capable of relentless machine-like rhythms, is the highly organised band member who the others call the ATM - Assistant Tour Manager. They also call him Gary, for no other reason than it amuses them.

Last year, Ed - or Gary - told me he went for "tortured dark-haired student girls whose emotional problems I can solve". One year on, he has a steady girlfriend whom he met in Birmingham and on whom he's spending a lot of time and money, phoning home on his mobile. "It can be absolutely incredible being on the road with no one to care about back home, but I started getting miffed that I had no one to tell all the amazing things that are happening to us," he says. "So, yes, I've been on the phone a lot."

Bassist Russell Leetch is the burly, no-nonsense type who likes a beer and a fag, and is only too happy to play pool with me before the band go onstage. Guitarist Chris Urbanowicz, who claims to have been a child model for toy guns and assorted plastic weaponry, is the band's resident husky-voiced Lothario. "You better write nice things about me or I'll hunt you down," he warns.

Actually, like Lay and Leetch, he is friendly and open. "It's still exactly the same as it was between us three or four years ago," Urbanowicz says of band relations after long periods in close proximity on tour. "We still try and have as much fun as we possibly can, and we still take the piss out of each other. I mean, I wouldn't go on holiday with them," he adds, telling me about Editors' recent unexpected sojourn in the party capital of Europe. "We had four or five days off in Ibiza, by the pool, and it was f***ing great."

When Editors first started getting written about in the music press, following their signing to Kitchenware in late 2004, they received numerous comparisons to their early 1980s grave-rock forebears. "Now, when I read the NME I can see bands starting to be compared to us," says a delighted Tom Smith. "Next there'll be the Tom Smith-alikes!" The frontman has even been approached by Marks & Spencer to be the fashion chain's Face of the Noughties. "They wanted me to front a clothing line," he says with a wry smile. "It was some rock/youth thing, from the '70s, '80s and '90s to now. I very quickly said 'no'." Smith is wearing black jeans, white T-shirt and white Converse trainers as we speak. Very scruffy-but-chic. Is he a style icon? He splutters. "No." The idea of being marketed for his appearance turns his stomach. Smith is determined to make it on purely musical merit. If and when they displace Snow Patrol, Keane, Coldplay and the rest as Britain's favourite stadium miserabilists, with their second album mooted for release next spring, it will happen without recourse to tabloid attention-grabbing tactics.

Any attempts, therefore, to present Smith and Bowman as the Pete'n'Kate who don't take drugs will not be greeted with enthusiasm. "I'm the one who looks like Pete Doherty," complains Urbanowicz. "Where's my Kate Moss?"

• The Back Room is out now on Kitchenware. The 2006 Mercury Music Prize winner is announced on Tuesday 5 September.

http://living.scotsman.com/music.cfm?id=1257182006

• 3 months later...

i haven't read the whole thread but i'm just really surprised about something...

this afternoon, while talking to my friends and listening to music on our iPods, they told me: listen to this song and tell us what u're thinking about and when i did it i felt..

OH my :surprised:

I heard Munich sung by Corinne Bailey! i didn't know she made a cover of it... and so fast! :S

• 1 month later...
i haven't read the whole thread but i'm just really surprised about something...

this afternoon, while talking to my friends and listening to music on our iPods, they told me: listen to this song and tell us what u're thinking about and when i did it i felt..

OH my :surprised:

I heard Munich sung by Corinne Bailey! i didn't know she made a cover of it... and so fast! :S

REALLY? :stunned:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Editors – Parr Hall

A BASSLINE sinks, a voice howls, a funked-up guitar chops!

All is well, it seems, in the dark music of Editors, with a new album - An End Has a Start - emerging in June and a hooky little single, Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors catching Radio One ears.

As with Arctic Monkeys and Travis, our lively Parr Hall proved the perfect try out' for the oncoming tour, where new songs could be seamlessly folded into the set, lapped up by appreciative fan base. One searched hard for darkness and edge. Even in the shadowy confines of a packed hall, these two qualities were noticeably absent.

Editors on-stage are a well-oiled machine; a static traction engine of sound, huffing and puffing to no discernable forward effect.

The music itself is not without passion or guile or dramatic intent and, on the day, one wondered why it seemed so difficult to glimpse that sense of movement. The ripples of applause that greeted even the newer numbers suggested a cosy stagnation, where the obvious lines of influence that flavoured their hugely successful debut album, The Back Room, continued to thread their way through each song.

Joy Division are engrained so deeply into this music that, at Parr Hall, all seemed so depressingly set in stone. Curious to note that the expertise of the musicality, the careful balance of the set, note perfect sound - all trademarks of Editors gigs - were never cornerstones of Joy Division, whose unpredictable nature encouraged intensity and the lovely notion that, at any given moment, all would crash helplessly to the floor. No such joy within the world of Editors, a depressingly predictable place to linger.

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1439341.mostviewed.editors_parr_hall.php

• 4 weeks later...

Out this week

photo-x-$7002850$180.jpg

Editors return with their new album An End Has a Start, the follow-up to their debut The Back Room.

It's a bolder effort from Editors, edging more towards the towering stadium and festival rock of U2 rather than the twitchy Radiohead songs on The Back Room.

Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors is a notable highlight, with the band referencing how the site of a smoker outside a hospital is the saddest site they have ever encountered.

Escape the Nest is another 'big' song, designed to enchant audiences used to hearing Coldplay belt out another sensitive rock tune to a stadium crowd.

It's not ground-breaking work and at times it fails to stimulate your mind in the way other music can, but An End Has a Start is a solid effort from Editors.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/infocus/entertainment/music/out-this-week-$1103672.htm

Banner.jpg

End300.jpg

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi

Editors second album An End Has A Start entered the UK album chart at #1. Thanks to everyone for all your support.

The band embark on a UK tour in October, dates follow.

Tickets go on general sale from 9am Thursday but will be available to you through a special presale from 9am tomorrow by clicking the links below:

October

1st Norwich UEA (buy tickets)

2nd Portsmouth Guildhall (buy tickets)

3rd Exeter University (buy tickets)

4th Newport Centre (buy tickets)

6th Oxford Academy (buy tickets)

8th London Brixton Academy (buy tickets)

9th London Brixton Academy (buy tickets)

11th Cambridge Corn Exchange (buy tickets)

13th Birmingham Academy (buy tickets)

14th Manchester Apollo (buy tickets)

15th Bristol Carling Academy (buy tickets)

17th Leeds University (buy tickets)

18th Newcastle Academy (buy tickets)

19th Aberdeen Music Hall (buy tickets)

21st Glasgow Academy (buy tickets)

22nd Sheffield Octagon (buy tickets)

23rd Liverpool University (buy tickets)

25th Nottingham Rock City (buy tickets)

EDITORS ON TV

Tune in to the following:

Channel 4 – 6th July

Album Chart Show – Live performance of The Racing Rats + Editors interview

OTHER PERFORMANCES

The band play Oxegen Festival in Ireland this Saturday (7th July) and T In The Park Festival in Scotland on Sunday (8th July).

The winners from the iTunes gig ticket giveway will be selected and notified soon. Support on the night comes from GoodBooks.

Thanks,Editorsofficial

------------------

Guess whose off to see Editors???