• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

single infos:

CD1 (Standard CD)

1. An End Has A Start

2. Open Up

CD2 (Maxi CD)

1. An End Has A Start

2. An End Has A Start (Jacknife Lee remix) (though this could be the same as track 1)

3. An End Has A Start (The Whip remix)

4 .An End Has A Start (Boom Bip remix)

7"

A. An End Has A Start

B. Open Up

So CD2 is the only one worth getting, with 3 new remixes of the track.

Shame there wasn't any more new songs :(

They should record more cover versions, like 'Orange Crush' and 'Road To Nowhere'. Those are friggin' brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Editors @ V Festival 2007

21012.jpg

Editors drummer, Ed Lay, chatted to VF backstage about Kraftwerk, touring America and dressing up as an ape with Basement Jaxx.

VF: How did you enjoy your set today?

Editors: “It’s great to be playing on a stage in a field absolutely full of people. It’s a little bit too early. We had a bit of a late one last night. I went on stage last night with Basement Jaxx dressed as a monkey and as you can imagine, I was a little bit lubricated beforehand but it was really great fun.”

VF: Where was that?

Editors: “At Lowlands Festival in Holland. It was awesome, it really was. They are such a great live band – it’s ridiculous. It was the first time I had seen them. I know their tour manager and I knew they had costumes - I’m always up for getting into a costume.”

VF: Were the rest of the band dressed up?

Editors: “No, just me. There was only one monkey suit.”

VF: So it was really just you in a monkey suit?

Editors: “Well they had a horn section dressed up as apes as well but I was the most active ape on stage at the time.”

VF: You guys have played a lot of festivals this year, how does V compare?

Editors: “See this is quite different; the crowd you get is slightly more pop based I guess and the atmosphere is too. I mean Pink played today so it’s more of a pop festival rather than a rock and roll festival. In a way it is really fantastic because we are playing to a bit of a wider audience and to see them reacting the way they did today is rather pleasing. Even though it is not one of the ones you expect to enjoy the most it actually turned out that way.”

VF: I think that a lot of people find that. They kind of write off V festival, then they get here and actually have a wicked time. That said do you feel a little out of place on the same bill as McFly and Pink?

Editors: “No because I dressed up as a monkey last night. No really though, not at all. It’s really not a problem; I think we mix just as well as everybody else?"

VF: Do you prefer playing the classic songs that everyone goes for or do you have a bigger rush from playing the new songs?

Editors: “We played one today called: ‘When Angus Shows’ and it has taken a while for us to work out how to play it. We worked on it for ages in the studio trying to figure out how to play it live because there is so much to it. But we played that today and it feels great. We had played it a couple of times in a little Australian tour a week and a half ago but this was the first time playing it properly and in the UK. So it was a bit of a debut tonight, it felt fantastic.”

VF: Is there anyone here today who you are especially looking out for?

Editors: “Absolutely definitely Kanye West, he is just such a wonderful writer - amazing. I love his new track with Daft Punk ‘Stronger’.”

VF: Do you think you guys would ever take that sort of direction?

Editors: “We use some electronics on the album, both actually. We play with a few zappy sounds but I don’t think we will do a Coldplay and get the riff from Kraftwerk. But we will always keep an open mind. We will keep writing music we find exciting and that probably involves doing something different every time.”

VF: In terms of tomorrow at Staffordshire, are you playing the same kind of set or are you going to take it as it comes?

Editors: “I think it won’t be too far off. It is difficult working out how long to play for. Sometimes we either over-estimate or underestimate how long it is going to take. But yeah, I think it is going to be very similar I would expect.”

VF: What tips have you got for people to enjoy V?

Editors: “Look out for each other and always wash you hands.”

VF: What’s next for you guys?

Editors: “Well, we’re playing with Razorlight next weekend which should be fun. Then we are going over to the States for a month. We’re spending the whole of September in the States and then we are coming back for a UK tour in October.”

VF: Have you played much in the States before?

Editors: “Yeah, we have actually. We spent quite a lot of time there last year. The problem is no one in America buys any music apart from middle of the road bands. Country artists are big, R n B is big but no one really buys indie. To go there you have to spend a lot of money and it’s really expensive, we mostly make a loss. We have a bit of a balance though, we want to go there as much as possible and play all the towns we can but you really have to get over there quite a bit to assert yourself. That said, it’s always a load of fun, we don’t really care how much it costs. It’s a really great place to tour.”

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/interviews/4005

• 4 weeks later...

Editors ‘do a Coldplay’

THE description had Editors guitarist Tom Urbanowicz baffled.

“What exactly does ‘doing a Coldplay’ mean?” he asked, annoyed.

“If it means selling billions of records then we haven’t done that yet.”

I tried to explain: “I think it’s more a question of musical development. Less obvious choruses, more depth, more ambition.”

Urbanowicz countered quickly: “It isn’t as immediate as the first album and it does take a few listens because it’s got depth but I still don’t know what that statement means.”

I had felt moved to defend a description that appeared in a review which I almost entirely disagreed with, apart from that specific sentiment.

I thought Urbanowicz would agree too, but clearly not.

The offending phrase formed part of a scathing review of the band’s second album, End Has A Start, that appeared in Q magazine prior to the CD’s release.

“The guy who wrote the review actually came out to Holland with us to write a piece on the first album,” he continued.

“We went out and got drunk together and he wrote a great piece about us.

“I don’t know what happened in between to make him change his mind but if you can have a review like that and still get a No.1 record then it just goes to show that reviews don’t matter.

“All that counts is what the people think.”

And the people voted with their wallets.

The band’s debut album The Back Room (2005) peaked at No.2 in the charts but shifted half a million copies after earning a Mercury Music Prize nomination in 2006.

The Back Room was a typical indie debut: some great songs with huge singalong choruses that inspired devotion regardless of their samey nature.

What marked Editors out was the classic combination of frontman and guitarist: Tom Smith’s joyless voice over Urbanowicz’s circular guitar lines.

However, the band became an easy target for music critics who accused them of ripping off Joy Division, of being a poor man’s Interpol.

“We don’t want to sound like anyone else but we are not afraid to reference other bands,” said the Nottingham-born 26-year-old, who worked in a shoe shop before signing a record deal.

“It’s easier to put on a record and say to someone ‘This is the sound I want’ than anything else. I remember us actually playing our producer the Twin Peaks theme to try and get a bassline sound we wanted on this album.

“A lot of people are still referencing the same bands as the they did when reviewing the first album but we’ve used everything from Kraftwerk to Kate Bush.

“Luckily our fans see us as ourselves rather than someone else.”

When those fans got hold of End Has A Start their opinion was clear – it sailed straight into the No.1 slot.

“You can never expect a No.1 but it was in the back of our minds that it might happen,” said Urbanowicz, who met his three bandmates while studying Music Technology at Staffordshire University.

“Top five would have been great, top three amazing, but to have it go straight in at the top like that, and by such a clear distance?

“Let’s just say we drank quite a few White Russians.”

If they needed a cherry on top of that cake it came a few weeks later when they played The Other Stage at Glastonbury.

In the squalling weather of the summer of mud they turned in one of the most talked-about sets of the festival.

“It was ... just ...,” he sighed as dreamily as a gloom-rocker could.

But it’s clear from listening to End Has A Start that frontman Tom Smith, boyfriend of Radio One’s Edith Bowman, did not have a dreamy time in writing it.

At times the despondency of his fatalistic lyrics wander close to sixth- form poetry but it’s elevated by the wider canvas of composition and Urbanowicz’s hypnotic guitar.

Marry the catchy nuggets of The Back Room to the ambitious and occasionally brilliant End Has A Start and Editors now present a live set of anthemic rock with scale and depth.

They are a band that has graduated to the next level, an album or two away from filling stadiums, from being the new Snow Patrol – or Coldplay.

I hate to agree with even one per cent of that Q review, Chris, but that’s what “Doing a Coldplay” means.

Editors play at Newport Centre on Thursday, October 4. Tickets cost £15 from 01633 656 757.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_headline=editors-8216-do-a-coldplay-8217&method=full&objectid=19826489&siteid=50082-name_page.html

• 3 weeks later...