✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I talk shit about Coldplay

The Reckoner 00

wow love the thesis (don't know how to write the plural thesises?)

everyone has been writing real thoughtful and interesting perspectives.

maybe they should change labels.

it would be really cool if they created their own label-many bands are doing it now to have total control...its difficult though. But i think they can't change until their contract is finished.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are so many more. Linkin Park are definitely more hated than Coldplay. So are Staind (mainly by the media, though). So was Creed before they broke up. So was Nirvana, which this messageboard incidentally has a passionate dislike for. And many other "overrated", "overplayed", "talentless" bands who just so happen to make great music ehich may not be to everyone's satisfaction. If you don't like a band, don't slam them unless people ask you if you like 'em or not.

i understand that there a lot of band that are criticized too, but never at the level that coldplay has been criticized. im a huge fan of linkin park, and i personally know how much the band is bashed by people saying how fake they are, that they are posers, or how ridiculos the mix of hip-hop with hard rock sounds....im also a huge fan of staind and creed. they have been critized(specially creed, mainly for being a "christian band")but you never heard quotes in movies saying how "bad" they are. most of their albums are rarely taken in account for anything. in fact, except for LP, i have never even read a review for their albums on recognized magazines. most criticizm comes from the community, the people that "listen to it"....

bands, and not just coldplay, work so hard to obtain that precious record contract, but then i think there is no way for them to foresee the baggage that comes along with it. when a band is with a big label, the decisions are not completely their own - i.e. time constraints, the publicity machine, etc., etc.

and please don't anyone blast me for the following... i feel like the reputation, expectations, hype (whatever you want to call it) has a direct proportionality to mr. martins's highly publicised romance and marriage. it was at that point that the celebs started coming on as being "huge coldplay fans" which then gave the band a cachet it didn't exactly possess before. and being the chosen band of the "vogue" set is not exactly what i like to see.

the backlash was pretty easy to foresee. a lot of people take issue with the lyrical melancholy given the drastic change in martin's lifestyle. for many, it doesn't ring true like it did it the earlier recordings.

well my ramble is done for now. ;)

wow love the thesis (don't know how to write the plural thesises?)

...it would be really cool if they created their own label-many bands are doing it now to have total control...its difficult though. But i think they can't change until their contract is finished.

Kekita, the plural is theses :P

Yeah, I do think they definitely have thought about having their own label... But some drawbacks: less publicity machinery in place, having to manage everything else (i.e. the business side of things). As for their contract, I'm not too sure... Do they have a 5-album deal (seem to remember reading something like that some time back)? But last I heard was that they were given an option to sign a further deal with Parlophone (EMI) after the release of Parachutes... If they still care about where they're heading, I'm sure they will use the leverage they have gained from the massive sales of X&Y to exert some pressure back on EMI, i.e. to take back some control of deadlines, type of sound, marketing/publicity etc. Btw, not to criticise but did anybody notice there are some similarities in sound/production between X&Y & Gorillaz's Demon Days? :P

i understand that there a lot of band that are criticized too, but never at the level that coldplay has been criticized.

I have to disagree Sienna. There have been other musicians who've been roundly criticised, even to a worse extent. E.g. the BSB, U2, etc. Basically, personal criticism of this magnitude is levelled when the artiste fulfills two basic requirements (apart from making music that's considered not good enough) : 1) massive sales/popularity; and for some reason 2) are membered by sincere people who care about the world (i.e. issues outside music) and dare to voice their stand.

bands, and not just coldplay, work so hard to obtain that precious record contract, but then i think there is no way for them to foresee the baggage that comes along with it. when a band is with a big label, the decisions are not completely their own - i.e. time constraints, the publicity machine, etc., etc.

and please don't anyone blast me for the following... i feel like the reputation, expectations, hype (whatever you want to call it) has a direct proportionality to mr. martins's highly publicised romance and marriage. it was at that point that the celebs started coming on as being "huge coldplay fans" which then gave the band a cachet it didn't exactly possess before. and being the chosen band of the "vogue" set is not exactly what i like to see.

the backlash was pretty easy to foresee. a lot of people take issue with the lyrical melancholy given the drastic change in martin's lifestyle. for many, it doesn't ring true like it did it the earlier recordings.

Agree on all three points:

1) they were raw, young talents... So I guess we have to grant them that they did not foresee so far into the future. The relevant question now is: What are they gonna do about it?

2) Yep, the publicity did go into hyperbole following Gwyn. They changed from being considered more-or-less alternative into something more pop-ish... which I think has something to do with -->

3) Chris having some trouble finding where he stands with regards to emotions on X&Y, which shows. Maybe that's something the band has to recognise and resolve (which they did try to on X&Y, but didn't succeed too well)... the fact that the rest of the band are still rooted to the melancholic feel in their lives more so than Chris. You just get the feeling that Chris is far too happy in his current environment to be able to feel the melancholy that he used exude previously. I think that's one explanation for the 'emotional emptiness' on X&Y. You can still hear emotion, but it's not in line with what the rest of the guys are projecting... It's probably more of an emotional dissonance than emptiness, and I think a lot of fans are hearing it and not taking it very well.

Maybe Coldplay do need to go into pop whole-heartedly (at least until Chris recovers some of his 'sadness'), and hopefully somehow fans & critics can accept that... or if the band does realise it and still wants to make melancholic songs then they will have to help Chris with it: Just the four of them holed up somewhere in the British countryside with strictly no visitors for a few months perhaps? :P It'd be unfair to their families though of course

I think "deadlines" have ruined many albums and even bands. I hate the music industry for what it does to good music.

here here! :)

Sounds like a good name for a band.............................THE DEADLINES!! :wink3:

hahaha

I have Death and Life of Rock n' Roll.

I checked out their second album a long time ago and found their sound went from goth-punk to glam-rock. Not cool.

hahaha

hahahaha

Coldplay has fallen from the graces of my CD carrying case. Partly because my girlfriend has my Parachutes CD and partly because I thought Stars Set Yourself on Fire was better than A Rush of Blunt Force Trauma to the Head for listening at work.

Yes, gentlep, I'm a solo artist like camille stated earlier. Why do you ask?