✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jun-08: New York - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's true. But you'd figure they'd want to test out more songs before the tour starts. It's been basically the same batch of songs. You know at some point they're gonna be doing more tracks than just this. Especially the new tracks. I highly doubt these are the ONLY ones they're gonna do from VLVODAAHF. As good as this set is, when I see them in Philly, I really hope there're more songs!

Dave

I am so mad!!!! I am one of the biggest Coldplay fans alive but what a disappointment. I have never seen a band not play an encore. They are one of the biggest bands in the world yet they play a setlist more predictable than The Wiggles. Let me at least say it was by far the best 80 minute show I've ever seen. Chris is great and I really think Will is the best part of the band. everything sounded amazing but the lack of an encore and a short setlist, which was totally unvaried from the previous shows, was a HUGE disappointment. Luckliy this was the last FREE show (which Chris never let us forget).

I'm seeing Pearl Jam the next 2 nights and they will embarrass Coldplay with the length of their amazing sets. I LOVE Coldplay but they just went down a few pegs. Grow up guys, you wanna be the biggest band in the world? ACT LIKE IT!!!!!

ya but its just a show .again not the real tour.........it costs alot more money to do more songs i guess......but the real tour will probably have alot more songs and a encore................. last tour they did which was twisted logic tour had a encore and i think it had 2 ....but for sure it had atleast one

Honestly, it was a small free show... What did you people (who are mad/disappointed) expect? You should be thankful that you were lucky enough to go. It's just a warm-up to practice the new songs... The actual tour will OF COURSE be very, very different... Think of it as a "sneak preview"... Entire movies aren't given away during commercials are they? No. This is essentially the same kind of deal.

Just my opinion of course...

Nah. Twisted Logic only had one encore. And the show was still short. Excellent, but short. But there's no excuse for a short show now. They're on their 4th album, and like I said earlier, they ARE the biggest band in the world. They have alot of well known songs (Yellow, IMP, The Scientist, Clocks, SOS, Fix You, Talk), a host of live favorites (Politik, anyone?), and...ehem...a new album (currently the biggest in the world) with two MASSIVE singles off it. They should be doing well over 20 songs a night. C'mon, guys. This better just be a warmup.

Dave

I actually prefer when a band doesn't do an encore. I would have preferred Coldplay have a longer set tonight, but that's a different story. To me, encores just seem like excuses for the band to get that added jolt of applause. I say, get out there, do the show, play the songs you want to play, the ones you want your fans to hear, and put on a kick ass show. Don't tease us with 3/4 of a show then make us beg for the rest :-P

That being said, the guys did put on a great show tonight. It was especially nice when they came up RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR SECTION (the gap between 101 and 133) to sing Yellow. The magic balls were VERY cool! As was the staging for the whole show...save for Violet Hill. The staging was WAY too dark and, save what you could see on the one ball, could barely see Chris or any of the guys.

My only other real objection was based more on wishful thinking than anything. With some of the musical leaps they've taken with this album, I was kinda hoping to see some of it come to life. I was really hoping to hear some live orchestration. Especially the violins in Viva. They seemed to rely too much on pre-recording back-up for some of the more impressive musical choices...but again, the band themselves are still the awesome music act we've all come to love.

Oh, and Jon Hopkins...errr...what the hell was that I saw? Just not my style. I didn't HATE it, but I know I didnt really care for it. Didn't feel like I wanted that half hour of my life back, but defiantly didn't take anything valuable away from it.

i always love free shows and when coldplay comes up with next album i expect them to do the free shows again!

i like it so much!

and what ever the short set list or no encore doesn't matter to me as far as they kept a brilliant show is important to me.

i feel happy with it.

Just got back from the show and here are my initial thoughts... Overall awesome show.. They were great at usual. I loved the little slip ups and the acoustic set in the middle of the crowd, that was awesome! The light show was amazing, really added to the whole show. To be nitpicky, I thought it lacked some energy. I was a little disappointed with "strawberry swing" Since thats probably my favorite song on the cd, i think i expected a little more. Probably the first song that didn't translate well live. (thats realllly nitpicky) I was also a little confused about how they were recreating the sounds on the cd with just the 4 band members...I'm not gonna lie, I haven't read anything about the other free shows but I really thought this cd would sound amazing with a live orchestra and thats what I was hoping for but all in all it was a great warm up show. I really hope they expand the set list for the tour (and add an orchestra haha)

Guys, imo you shouldn't be complaining at all!! You are extremely lucky to have the chance to see the band live, just after the album release, for free!! And you are in the USA where there are usually two legs of each tour, besides lots of TV and radio appearances of the band.

If I'd like to watch a longer set? Of course I would! But I wouldn't complain about it in a free show. If they decided to do it that way, it's ok. If you're going to buy tickets to see them live I believe the shows will be a bit longer (but not more than 1 and a half hour). If you'll be extremely disappointed for having only that, think about it before buying the tickets ;)

I live in South America and I'm not even sure if they're visiting us on this tour. They didn't during Twisted Logic Tour (and they visited USA and Europe twice) and I feel lucky enough for having had the chance to see them in the special Latin America tour that happened last year. Lots of fans in many countries have never had this chance.

Guys, imo you shouldn't be complaining at all!! You are extremely lucky to have the chance to see the band live, just after the album release, for free!! And you are in the USA where there are usually two legs of each tour, besides lots of TV and radio appearances of the band.

If I'd like to watch a longer set? Of course I would! But I wouldn't complain about it in a free show. If they decided to do it that way, it's ok. If you're going to buy tickets to see them live I believe the shows will be a bit longer (but not more than 1 and a half hour). If you'll be extremely disappointed for having only that, think about it before buying the tickets ;)

I live in South America and I'm not even sure if they're visiting us on this tour. They didn't during Twisted Logic Tour (and they visited USA and Europe twice) and I feel lucky enough for having had the chance to see them in the special Latin America tour that happened last year. Lots of fans in many countries have never had this chance.

I don't think anyone is complaining... I think everyone that would take the time to post here is a big fan, extremely grateful to have seen them tonight and had whatever expectations they had and are merely reporting how the show lived up to them... I don't think anyone (really ANYONE) could complain about that show!

Jesus. Christ.

My first Coldplay show (and a free one at that) was just simply beautiful.

In short (because I don't have time to write a coherent and otherwise non-brief review)

this show was truly amazing

and the magic balls were so cool and popped up out of nowhere.

and the lights, the crowd, the energy. there was nothing BUT energy.

it was a bit short, but it was after all free and the encore bit only made it seem shorter.

but, a beautiful show all in all.

Fix You was the highlight.

I can't wait to relive that sing along through YouTube videos.

Immensely beautiful.

and to the people that sat around Section 96, you got the surprise of the lifetime with Yellow.

you were essentially in Section 2 for two songs. haha. :)

anyway.. amazing show.

the 3rd in my top three.

more tomorrow.