✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jun-08: New York - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone put up the setlist?

to get you started:

life in technicolor, violet hill, clocks, in my place, viva la vida, chinese sleep chant, 42?, uh (i kind of forgot the order here) gpasoyf? square one? trouble? ... lost, yellow, fix you, lovers in japan, walked off to the escapist

maybe someone can fix the middle for me, i can't remember it exactly.

Here are my photos: http://tinyurl.com/66mdbz

Once again to warn, not great. I can't give a good set list but they started with Life in Technicolor. Played(not in this order) Square One, In My Place, Strawberry Swing, Lost!, Viva La Vida, Lovers in Japan, Violet Hill, Yellow, Trouble, Clocks, Cemeteries of London, Fix You. I might have left some or added some in.

Not to be a downer, but I was not that impressed with the show as a whole. First a few caveats:

-I realize the show was free

-I realize how lucky I was to go, when lots of people reading this were unable to

-I realize how lucky I am to have been to five other shows through the years, when many people reading this have never seen them

-I realize how cool it is to be among a few thousand Americans to hear VLV songs for the first time live

-I once again realize the show was free

Ok, that all being said, from a pure Coldplay concert rating perspective, there were a number of problems I had with the show - most notably the length of the concert and the number of songs where there were phantom musicians.

The length and lack of encore, well, I'll give them a pass since "I realize the show was free". Plus I've been to enough shows to know that 90 minutes is the witching hour for them anyway, so I got over the short set list and abrupt ending pretty quick.

But the phantom musicians really started to bug me as the concert wore on. If I'm not mistaken, every song they attempted from VLV except for Chinese Sleep Chant had at least one instrument part that was either pre-recorded or played offstage. They walked out to Life in Technicolor, but didn't pick up their instruments until the music, including guitar parts were all ready playing full stream. Viva La Vida, well it was exactly like the MTV Awards - pre-recorded strings, and with Chris bizarrely playing only half the keyboard parts, while the rest just pumped through the speakers. Lovers in Japan opens with Chis hammering away on the keyboards, only for him to stop and pick up the microphone while they keyboard part continues to play in the background. See a pattern?

Perhaps the worst of all was Lost!, which 10 years from now should be their ultimate concert song - but now it is so heavily produced that they might as well pop in the CD and go to track 3. Chris doesn't go anywhere near the organ an instead prances around the stage singing. It's just a simple organ riff, brother. What gives? And Will, God bless him, is banging away on drums, but he clearly is not playing the full drum line for the song, yet the full percussion track can be heard.

I know it sounds like I am nitpicking, but I think this is part of a bigger problem. I wish Coldplay would just come out and play like a band instead of playing like a product. I would love to hear them play a stripped down Lost!, VLV or whatever, but for some reason they have to play every song to sound exactly like the album version (although after 8 years they are finally confident enough to play a lovely acoustic version of Yellow). This is not the same band I saw rip through nearly the entire AROBTH album at the tiny TLA in 2002. This is more like Circ du Coldplai.

Darn, that ended up sounding like more of a rant than I meant it to, but I'm truly concerned about how this bodes for this tour. If you want to go experience the boys in person and see a slick production - you will not be disappointed. But if you want to go see these guys flex their musical muscles, maybe scale your hopes back a little.

Not to be a downer, but I was not that impressed with the show as a whole. First a few caveats:

-I realize the show was free

-I realize how lucky I was to go, when lots of people reading this were unable to

-I realize how lucky I am to have been to five other shows through the years, when many people reading this have never seen them

-I realize how cool it is to be among a few thousand Americans to hear VLV songs for the first time live

-I once again realize the show was free

Ok, that all being said, from a pure Coldplay concert rating perspective, there were a number of problems I had with the show - most notably the length of the concert and the number of songs where there were phantom musicians.

The length and lack of encore, well, I'll give them a pass since "I realize the show was free". Plus I've been to enough shows to know that 90 minutes is the witching hour for them anyway, so I got over the short set list and abrupt ending pretty quick.

But the phantom musicians really started to bug me as the concert wore on. If I'm not mistaken, every song they attempted from VLV except for Chinese Sleep Chant had at least one instrument part that was either pre-recorded or played offstage. They walked out to Life in Technicolor, but didn't pick up their instruments until the music, including guitar parts were all ready playing full stream. Viva La Vida, well it was exactly like the MTV Awards - pre-recorded strings, and with Chris bizarrely playing only half the keyboard parts, while the rest just pumped through the speakers. Lovers in Japan opens with Chis hammering away on the keyboards, only for him to stop and pick up the microphone while they keyboard part continues to play in the background. See a pattern?

Perhaps the worst of all was Lost!, which 10 years from now should be their ultimate concert song - but now it is so heavily produced that they might as well pop in the CD and go to track 3. Chris doesn't go anywhere near the organ an instead prances around the stage singing. It's just a simple organ riff, brother. What gives? And Will, God bless him, is banging away on drums, but he clearly is not playing the full drum line for the song, yet the full percussion track can be heard.

I know it sounds like I am nitpicking, but I think this is part of a bigger problem. I wish Coldplay would just come out and play like a band instead of playing like a product. I would love to hear them play a stripped down Lost!, VLV or whatever, but for some reason they have to play every song to sound exactly like the album version (although after 8 years they are finally confident enough to play a lovely acoustic version of Yellow). This is not the same band I saw rip through nearly the entire AROBTH album at the tiny TLA in 2002. This is more like Circ du Coldplai.

Darn, that ended up sounding like more of a rant than I meant it to, but I'm truly concerned about how this bodes for this tour. If you want to go experience the boys in person and see a slick production - you will not be disappointed. But if you want to go see these guys flex their musical muscles, maybe scale your hopes back a little.

review

Quick summary:

Same setlist as previous shows (it is pretty amazing that they don't play longer unless it's for health issues, i can see chris' voice running out pretty quickly if they extended the concert, also jonny was actually getting steroid shots for his hands bc he was playing so much and dvlpd tendinitis)

Anyway, they have enough songs to play for 3 hrs straight.

All the songs were really good/amazing. One thing i can't understand about American audiences, they get all excited for the band, but they barely dance or move, they just sit there or stand motionless watching the band gyrate and play. U might as well sit at home and listen (or stand I guess). I went to Killers concert in MSG last year, and luckily i became friends w/ a group of Englanders, and man they know how to rock out. One of the best concerts I had been to in part bc of these people jumping and rocking like mad from the get go. Anywho, it was sad to watch some get great tickets and just sit there or stand motionless.

alright enough griping...

Opening was great, they should have Jon Hopkins start off the synth with them (since he opened for them), but LiT was great, i want to hear the words.

VH - not bad, great chorus everyone could sing

Clocks - the lasers are back, good Grammy winning classic, although he didn't do the speed up at the end

In My Place - oldie but goodie, no run back to the end of the stadium, must be getting old j/k

Viva - What an amazing song, everyone went up for it, and began clapping to the rhythm, the woah uh ohho or whatever is a great sing along (and very frequent in the newer songs)

Then they were attempting to go acoustic by moving closer to the crowd,

but they played Chinese Sleep Chant, which i like a lot w/in the genre, but a lot of the concert goers have no idea who My Bloody Valentine or Shoegazing rock is. It didn't go over well with crowd, that it doesn't have discernible or a catchy hook for the masses. But still a great song and you can see the love for the music they grew up with esp. Jonny

GPASUYF - was a good pick me up after chinese sleep chant, it's amazing how many people know the song so well ( i know it was a single, but i never felt it was as catchy as some other Rush of Blood favorites, although it's a great rock out song (lot of foot thumping, thanks Will's drumming and Guy's great bassline)

Then, they transitioned back to the big stage w/ Chris staying behind playing the opening to 42, people had no idea what was going on (i'm sure many have not heard the new album or the song for that matter). But it was amazing live, i'm glad they could pull it off (it would be like seeing the Beatles play A Day in the Life live). But people did not seem to appreciate as they were puzzled by the oblique song structure and change in keys/time signatures. but regardless it is amazing and will grow in time for the masses.

Now I know some people criticize their last album, but people let's be serious here and honest of course, that album was amazing and brilliant as well, every song on there was good if not great. So, it was a good surprise to hear Square One, what a great opener to last album's tour. Plus, many people recognized it and loved it, a lot of people got up from the chairs to rock out to it, they should play more x & y as well. Don't deny a great album and its tracks (SoS, Talk, SintheS, White Shadows, A message, what if). Anyway. moving on...

Trouble... what can I say it's one of the first songs i heard from the Coldplay catalog, and what got me hooked, classic and the audience participation was ultimate, esp. on the bridge. nuff said

What a transition into Lost, with rhythmic beat, handclaps, and Chris hopping around like he's in a tribal ritual. People really liked this song and seemed to know it (a lot of them, not including Coldplaying members, of course). it's a sure fire single and will be I'm sure, regardless if people think the lyrics are corny (big fish, small pond, etc.) these guys know how to write hit songs and catchy hooks. I liked it a lot, it really works: organ, guitar, handclaps, rhythmic (almost tribal) drum beats.

Now Strawberry Swing... amazing song, makes me want to just drive into the coutnry, or go onto a safari. people really got into it, w/ handclaps in unison, really caught the masses at MSG, i'm really glad, it could be another single in the making, but I'm sure coldplay will hold it back for the album buyers, much like for Swallowed in the Sea. A perfect song to a perfect day....

Yellow acoustic, (they moved back to the other side of the arena to play it, everyone went nuts of course), good rendition and a welcome change from the album version. they need to do an acoustic session on vh1. they're that big now of course, even after the third album.

Will sang well, not bad, underrated assist vocal for Chris that's coming to the fore, Good Goldrush song btw. If death will conquer me... or something like that

And the encore that people didn't realize was an encore,

Fix You - magical, and a great melody lines and riffs despite what the naysayers and critics say. it is their With or Without You. and will be a staple for years to come. Again X & Y is much better than people give it credit for

And the transcedent Lovers in Japan, very u2, but just love the opening chords, and the harpsichord sound. The piano/keyboard sound is perfect, and plus jonny's solo is a great topperfor the night.

And that was that. no encore, no nothing. 16 songs in 100 mins, could have been better or at least longer come one 4 albums and all u tho

Great concert, crowd could have been better as it was supposedly real band fans.. And they need to changeup the setlist, what's up w/ playing the same songs over and over again. I hope there up for their tour.

We need to hear Deaht And All HIs Friends, and Cemeteries.

The phantom musicians started in the VMA presentation and were part of every single performance til today (VLV era). I know they can't play all the instruments but I agree it's a bit exaggerated now. Since they did it everywhere else I just don't find any surprise that it happened in MSG. And I'm afraid it'll happen in the actual VLV tour :(

I feel the same way man. I thought all that crap would be slowly faded out like when X&Y was first being played. Its pretty disappointing that one of the biggest best bands in the world today has to do it like this. I have a feeling the magic balls are not the only ticks up Coldplays sleeve

For the record, I'm not 100% anti-pre-recorded tracks. I love their live version of Daylight, and yet I know they don't play the synth/strings part live, and parts of Square One are always pre-recorded too, but I felt like if they need to do it for every song off VLV, it almost detracts from the album and almost makes you wonder how much of the show is live at all. My favorite thing about seeing Coldplay live is coming away with a new appreciation for their songs. However, I can't honestly say I like any VLV song more having heard it live, because they basically did everything they could to make it sound as much like the album version as possible.

I'm sure this is party of the trial and error phase of the tour, but given how structured and choreographed their shows are, it seems that this is going to be how it is through most of this touring schedule.

I WAS THERE! It was amazing!!! Everything, music, lights, their energy, them singing in the back, so amazing. I'll upload pics and videos tomorrow.

mooseaka I don't know what were your expectation, but this show was out of this world!!!

I'm going to stop complaining and I'm glad I'm in the minority. Just thought I would offer a different perspective on the show.

Or maybe I just need to go to bed.

^^ WOWOWOWOW THAT LOOKS INCREDIBLE

people shouldn't forget that they are still in the middle of their promo tour so a 16 song show is still pretty decent. i am more than certain that once the proper world tour starts we will be getting full two hour shows with hopefully a fair bit of improvisation. and if that stage is just the incomplete set then i cant wait to see what they're gonna pull out in philly in mid july.

I'm going to stop complaining and I'm glad I'm in the minority. Just thought I would offer a different perspective on the show.

Or maybe I just need to go to bed.

yes, you should go to bed.

but no really, i know you're trying to show us how you saw it, but most of us is going to disagree with you, at least I am, because the show was truly amazing, and it was free for thousands of people! Don't be so picky!