✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jun-08: New York - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Everyone,

Just got home. It was awesome as everyone said, throughly enjoyed the setlist, YES it was being recorded for FUSE network (expect to see that sometime), The magic balls were awesome and I think i may have the best video ever from when they moved into the crowd to play yellow, I was 10 ft from them and recorded Yellow and the song that Will sang- very very good. How do i post it? I'll post it as long as you all PROMISE not to make fun of my screaming, singing, shaking of the camera. I nearly had a heart attack when they came right to me!!!!!!!!!

Most amazing night ever. OH and I really loved the confetti!!!!!

Dreaming of the magic balls, ;)

Alex

Hey Everyone,

Just got home. It was awesome as everyone said, throughly enjoyed the setlist, YES it was being recorded for FUSE network (expect to see that sometime), The magic balls were awesome and I think i may have the best video ever from when they moved into the crowd to play yellow, I was 10 ft from them and recorded Yellow and the song that Will sang- very very good. How do i post it? I'll post it as long as you all PROMISE not to make fun of my screaming, singing, shaking of the camera. I nearly had a heart attack when they came right to me!!!!!!!!!

Most amazing night ever. OH and I really loved the confetti!!!!!

Dreaming of the magic balls, ;)

Alex

have you ever uploaded to youtube?

No but i imagine its pretty easy right? I def don't want like all of youtube watching this, just us coldplayers. Is that possible? PM me about it, I have to go to bed!!! :D

alex

haha just put it on youtube you won't regret it

MY MSG Experience

I get really pumped that i get these last minute seats and i blast the album in my room and then take the train into the city. The guy i'm meeting runs late so i end up sitting at the station for half an hour. then we spend another half an hour trying to find each other. Finally we meet up at like 7, an hour before the show starts. 2 minutes after we meet up the guy getting the tickets calls and bails on us. i get back on the train and go back home.

Coldplay’s Free Show @ Madison Square Garden

Thanks to http://www.themodernage.org/

Tonight I went to the free Coldplay show at MSG. There were not many “surprises”–the show was almost identical in set list as the free Brixton Academy show, but it was super fun nonetheless. You cannot beat FREE!

Here I am in my little bubble…

coldplay_msg_viva.jpg

Setlist: Life in technicolor (intro), Violet hill, clocks, in my place, viva la vida, Chinese Sleep Chant, god put a smile upon your face, 42, square one, trouble, lost!, strawberry swing,[yellow, Death Will Never Conquer (from gate 60, toward the back of MSG)], fix you, lovers in japan/ reign of love

From Gate 60:

coldplay_msg_viva02.jpg

coldplay_msg_viva03.jpg

Madison Square Garden, New York - June 23, 2008

c256.jpg

NEW YORK - Yes, there were mistakes and technical glitches.

But about 10,000 lucky contest winners from all over the world who attended Coldplay's only free concert in North America at Madison Square Garden on Monday night, which followed similar events in London and Barcelona last week, didn't seem to mind the-less-than perfect show one little bit.

In fact, as the hour-and-10-minute concert emptied out, fans could be heard singing the rousing chorus of the title track from Coldplay's week-old new album, Viva La Vida, which has become the group's first ever No. 1 single in both England and the U.S.

This overall acceptance of the British pop-rock act's percussive-heavy new music, tweaked by producers Brian Eno and Markus Dravs, is a good sign for Coldplay who appear on the verge of becoming the next U2 in terms of worldwide popularity and big arena shows despite critical drubbing in some quarters that their oh-so-sensitive songs appeal to females more than males.

That wasn't the case on Monday night in terms of an audience that was equally male-female and included such famous faces as Chris Rock, Charlize Theron, Stuart Townsend and Molly Sims (Vegas).

Performing in North America for the first time in two years, leading up to the official Viva La Vida tour launch on July 14 and 15 with a pair of shows at L.A.'s Forum, the band presented a united front jamming closely together on either their stripped down main stage, one of two catwalks or at the very back of the Garden amongst audience members.

Often it felt they were letting the crowd witness a production rehearsal whether it was instruments that weren't cooperating, lyrics that were forgotten by Martin or songs being started over.

As Martin, who handled both piano and guitar, pointed out early in the show: "There are no refunds."

Opening with Life In Technicolor, also the first track on Viva La Vida, the band were first obscured by a black curtain which eventually lifted to reveal Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion.

Their uber hits, Clocks and In My Place, were the first to really get the audience going and Martin was a wildly animated frontman with infectious energy to burn and a tendency to skip/dance around the stage.

As they've done on their new record, Coldplay have also decided to shake things up in concert and instead of having one big video backdrop, they've opted for six hanging oversized lightbulbs onto which images and closeups of them playing were projected.

The title track from Viva La Vida was certainly the new song highlight as the four musicians gathered in a line at the front of the stage with Champion banging away on a bell when he wasn't pounding two large drums.

The lowlight was trying to perform the new song, Chinese Sleep Chant, on one of the smaller catwalks but an uncooperative guitar led Martin, who is married to American actress Gwyneth Paltrow, to joke: "Oh, this is embarrassing - let's go home. We come over here, we steal your women and we can't even play one song."

They also wandered through the crowd to the back of the arena to do an acoustic version of their breakthrough single, Yellow, but personally I missed the sound of Buckland's great electric guitar on that tune. (Champion, who took over vocals on the next tune, Death Will Never Conquer Me, fared better.)

Otherwise, standouts in their 16-song set were oldies God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Square One and Fix You, and new songs Lost! - which saw Martin's earphones fall out just as he was gearing up for a crowd singalong - "Can we do that again? Make an old man happy?" - Strawberry Swing, and the final song, Lovers In Japan, the most U2-sounding anthem on the new album, which in a live setting included glow-in-the-dark confetti being blasted out of cannons onto the audience.

Coldplay head to Canada on July 27 with a date at the Pemberton Festival in B.C. before arriving in Montreal on July 29, Toronto on July 30-31 and Ottawa on Oct. 20.

Production delays led to the band's initial tour start to be pushed back two weeks and the disappearance of previously announced dates in western Canada including Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.

Coldplay will also perform on the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight (June 25), the Today show on Friday (June 27) and David Letterman on Monday (June 30).

What Coldplay played at Madison Square Garden:

Life in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Chinese Sleep Chant

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Square One

Trouble

Lost!

Strawberry Swing

Yellow

Death Will Never Conquer

Fix You

Lovers in Japan

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/C/Coldplay/ConcertReviews/2008/06/24/5966931-sun.html

First, let me just say this...winigwl that fucken sucks!!!! I'm so sorry for you. I don't know the whole story but I'm pissed off on your behalf! But you know what, that just means karma will pay you back big time some day...maybe you'll get front row seats or even meet the band or something to make up for it :-).

Now as for the show...I'm so happy. I have no complaints!!! Perfect experience. Amazed and thankful I got the chance to go. Free show, had a wonderful time hearing my favorite band LIVE, and also going with a friend who'd never been to a proper concert and is also a newbie Coldplay fan. She's now hooked! Looooved it. When LIT first started, I have to admit I actually had a case of watery eyes:embarassed:.

Energy was through the roof. Sang my lungs out. The guys were so ON and seemed to have a great time themselves. At one point even shy Johnny-boy did a little dance with Chris coming down the ramp. Will is amazing--drummer and now singer, too hehe. When they went into the crowd for Yellow, I saw them getting closer and closer to my section (201) and couldn't believe that the ONE time I didn't bring a camera they were so close to me!!! But it's burnt into my mind forever! (Guy truly is a beautiful man :wink3:)

That said, I do agree with some things people have said regarding short set list and also how the VLVODAAHF are not all played by the guys. I would love for it to feel a little more, stripped down and less produced, more a la Rush of Blood tour. I'm sure it's just for now since this was a pre-tour show, but I did like the more simple set. Makes me focus on just the guys and the playing. Though the "magic balls" are kinda cool and add some ambiance. My fave set designs were during Clocks w/ the multi colored lasers, and Lost! with the words on the diff colored balls. Oh and the confetti is pretty!

Ok, I think that's it. :) I think I got most of it out of my system. ..sorry I went on and on....

Ok And on some more.--I don't necessarily miss the big screens in back of stage from last tour, but I would like at least 1 to be able to see the guys faces better, trying to see on the magic balls wasn't too clear, and it's hard to see them yourself unlesss you're in 1st row floor seats. (But all this is just nitpicking, I'm sooo happy and it was such a great show, and free on top of it all...too much! Thanks Coldplay!!!!!)

Coldplay Treat Fans To A Free Concert In New York City

Before kicking off their North American tour, British rockers Coldplay treated fans to a free concert on Monday (June 23) at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

Most tickets for the show were distributed to fans via the band’s website. The Madison Square Garden event was the third in a series of free concerts. The band has already staged freebies in London and Barcelona.

Last Thursday (June 19), the four-piece band led by frontman Chris Martin scored their first U.S. number one single. They also topped the U.S. album chart.

The band also secured their first UK number one single with “Viva La Vida”, the title track from their new album, according to figures released on Sunday (June 22). The song topped the chart in its debut week, while the band’s fourth album spent a second week at number one, the official UK Charts Company said.

Although the band have had a string of top 10 hits such as “Yellow”, “Clocks” and “Fix You”, they had never before taken the top spot. Retailer HMV said the single’s success was based solely on downloads from the Internet because no hard copies are yet on sale.

Source: http://www.timesnow.tv

The Toronto Sun has posted an article entitled Coldplay and thousands of their friends, but I can't open it because the pop-up keeps crashing my explorer (works version of flash is too old for it). its on the top of this page http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&q=coldplay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn. please could some one copy & paste it into the thread for me? :)

Coldplay and thousands of their friends

Free New York show provides sample of what’s to come in T.O.

Coldplay landed in New York for a free show at Madison Square Garden last night, providing a first taste of what they have planned for their full-fledged tour, which begins next month.

Backlit in blinding yellow light, they kicked off the set with “Life in Technicolor,” the first track on their new album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. From the beginning, it was clear fans had done their homework and they sang along with the “Whoa oh oh” of an otherwise instrumental tune.

Coldplay wasted little time and launched immediately into “Violet Hill,” the first official single from the album. But it was old favourites, like “Clocks” and “In My Place” that really got the floor shaking.

Then it was on to “Viva La Vida,” the band’s current hit (and iTunes theme song). “Somehow it’s made it to No. 1 in your country,” said front man Chris Martin, always eager to downplay his rock star status. “It just goes to show that with good marketing and a handsome bass player you can achieve anything.”

What went unsaid is that the single is also No. 1 on U.K. charts this week. It’s the first time the band has earned the top slot in either country.

The New York event was the third of three free shows, after similar gigs in London and Barcelona. The band had given away 7,000 tickets through its website (although the crowd last night was much larger) and Martin repeated similar jokes he made in London, pointing out that there would be “no refunds.”

But not everyone got their tickets for free. Some fans who weren’t able to win them paid up to $800 a pair on eBay.

Despite the scale of the legendary arena, Coldplay did its best to make the venue feel at least somewhat intimate. At one point, they squeezed the whole band — drum kit and all — out onto the end of a narrow catwalk for a couple of songs.

But Martin had already promised entertainment that would rival a Broadway musical.

“We think about reinterpreting songs and how we can make the journey of a concert as exciting as possible,” he said on the band’s website. “Basically we try to make something that’s as entertaining as any other night out; we are trying to compete with Cats and Starlight Express.”

In that spirit, the band appeared onstage outfitted in tattered 19th-century military-style outfits seemingly pulled straight from the DelacroixÖ painting (Liberty Leading the People)Ö they used as cover art for the new album.

They had also done their research on lighting effects. A massive translucent globe lit from the inside with projected video hung over the centre of the arena at the beginning of the show.

By the time the band reached the middle of its set and started into “Square One,” there were six of the giant orbs encircling the stage, spinning with animations.

The whole show, perhaps with some last-minute tweaks, will make its way to Pemberton, B.C., on July 27; Montreal on July 29; and Toronto on July 30.

1pixel.gif

winigwl[/url] that fucken sucks!!!! I'm so sorry for you. I don't know the whole story but I'm pissed off on your behalf! But you know what, that just means karma will pay you back big time some day...maybe you'll get front row seats or even meet the band or something to make up for it :-).

Now as for the show...I'm so happy. I have no complaints!!! Perfect experience. Amazed and thankful I got the chance to go. Free show, had a wonderful time hearing my favorite band LIVE, and also going with a friend who'd never been to a proper concert and is also a newbie Coldplay fan. She's now hooked! Looooved it. When LIT first started, I have to admit I actually had a case of watery eyes:embarassed:.

Energy was through the roof. Sang my lungs out. The guys were so ON and seemed to have a great time themselves. At one point even shy Johnny-boy did a little dance with Chris coming down the ramp. Will is amazing--drummer and now singer, too hehe. When they went into the crowd for Yellow, I saw them getting closer and closer to my section (201) and couldn't believe that the ONE time I didn't bring a camera they were so close to me!!! But it's burnt into my mind forever! (Guy truly is a beautiful man :wink3:)

That said, I do agree with some things people have said regarding short set list and also how the VLVODAAHF are not all played by the guys. I would love for it to feel a little more, stripped down and less produced, more a la Rush of Blood tour. I'm sure it's just for now since this was a pre-tour show, but I did like the more simple set. Makes me focus on just the guys and the playing. Though the "magic balls" are kinda cool and add some ambiance. My fave set designs were during Clocks w/ the multi colored lasers, and Lost! with the words on the diff colored balls. Oh and the confetti is pretty!

Ok, I think that's it. :) I think I got most of it out of my system. ..sorry I went on and on....

Ok And on some more.--I don't necessarily miss the big screens in back of stage from last tour, but I would like at least 1 to be able to see the guys faces better, trying to see on the magic balls wasn't too clear, and it's hard to see them yourself unlesss you're in 1st row floor seats. (But all this is just nitpicking, I'm sooo happy and it was such a great show, and free on top of it all...too much! Thanks Coldplay!!!!!)

Please for the love of god tell me someone has this on video. And the magic balls, very cool:cool: