✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jun-08: New York - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was the security situation at the door for people who bought tickets for the MSG show? Were people being denied, did they actually check names, how did it all go down? thx.

I'm pretty sure they didnt check names at all.

Now, first let me be able to say i agree mostly with mooseaka. That being said, this was my first coldplay show and i had a blast. I pretty much knew all the words to every song. But I could tell from where i was sitting when they played most of their newer stuff hardly anyone any of the songs expect for VLV and VH. My favorite song was probably In My Place, which was my favorite song on the live album as well as Amsterdam. Viva La Vida, Lost!, and Lovers In Japan were quite good. Yes needed some work so did Violet Hill.

quick side note: wingwill that flippin blows, If you have a picture of the guy post it and next time i see him ill remember to dropkick him in the knees.

I was seating on the left side of the stage in the 200s I couldnt tell you the exact seat because my friend and I did our usual "seat hopping". we ended in a row really close to the aisle way next to an older couple. towards the end of the show chris says "We going to try something new with this show, and we don't normally do this but bear with us". next thing i know i see all the bandmates jump off the stage and im thinking "Crap what the hell are they doing???" I see them start climbing stairs in the aisle nearest to me and thats when i almost went into shock. when i gained composure Chris was litterally 2 feet from me. I see Will next grab his shoulder, he turns around and shakes my hand. It was a good hand shake too, not just one of those quick ones. I yell to him that they are fucking awesome and he continues going up the stairs to play an acoustic set of Yellow and some other song I didnt know where Will did lead vocals. I took a video of GPASOMF but i didnt get the hold song, i know someone was asking for one. I'll post soon. Overall i had a great night, well done Coldplay and I can't wait to see them again. I might try and go to the today show just for Sh!ts and giggles but im still debating. pics coming soon prolly after i get off work.

Gwyneth Paltrow, Chris Martin Celebrate Coldplay in NYC

gwyneth-ed-coldplay-msg.jpg

Released a week ago, the new Coldplay album Viva La Vida has already been receiving public and critical acclaim. And last night, Chris Martin and company rocked Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Martin’s wife Gwyneth Paltrow was spotted hanging out after the concert at a post-show party in the Big Apple’s West Village, along with guy pal Ed Burns.

And the “Shakespeare in Love” beauty looked understatedly stunning in a black dress with a black jacket overtop and some strappy brown peep-toe shoes.

Meanwhile, the “She’s the One” actor was looking chic in a black button-up shirt with dark distressed jeans and a pair of black leather shoes.

Enjoy the pictures of Gwyneth Paltrow and Ed Burns at the concert afterparty, along with shots of Chris Martin performing at MSG (June 23).

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-12.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-11.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-10.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-9.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-8.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-7.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-6.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-5.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-4.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-3.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-2.jpg

gwyneth-coldplay-show-6238-1.jpg

http://www.celebrity-gossip.net/celebrities/hollywood/gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-celebrate-coldplay-in-nyc-204691/

I recorded the entire concert on my cell phone but I'm not sure what the quality of the audio is but I'm going to try and figure out how to get it from my cell phone to a computer and upload it somewhere.

if anyone's tech savvy here, i have a palm treo phone for work that I used the voice memo feature to record the entire show so if someone knows how to transfer it to an audio file on my computer that would be helpful.

I thought the show was good, not bad for a free show but I wished it was a bit longer. No complaints since it was free and I never thought I'd win tickets but somehow I lucked out.

Thanks!

I am so mad!!!! I am one of the biggest Coldplay fans alive but what a disappointment. I have never seen a band not play an encore. They are one of the biggest bands in the world yet they play a setlist more predictable than The Wiggles. Let me at least say it was by far the best 80 minute show I've ever seen. Chris is great and I really think Will is the best part of the band. everything sounded amazing but the lack of an encore and a short setlist, which was totally unvaried from the previous shows, was a HUGE disappointment. Luckliy this was the last FREE show (which Chris never let us forget).

I'm seeing Pearl Jam the next 2 nights and they will embarrass Coldplay with the length of their amazing sets. I LOVE Coldplay but they just went down a few pegs. Grow up guys, you wanna be the biggest band in the world? ACT LIKE IT!!!!!

^ wow.. bitter are we??? Be grateful you got to go for FREE!!!!! Sure an encore would have been nice.... I admit I was looking forward to it.. but in case you didn't know, NYC has a concert regulation (actually MSG does)- all shows/events must end by 11pm. They guys didn't you a thing. Biggest band in the world? How many BIGGEST BANDS do you know offer a free gig before they launch a major world tour??? :rolleyes:

Honestly, it was a small free show... What did you people (who are mad/disappointed) expect? You should be thankful that you were lucky enough to go. It's just a warm-up to practice the new songs... The actual tour will OF COURSE be very, very different... Think of it as a "sneak preview"... Entire movies aren't given away during commercials are they? No. This is essentially the same kind of deal.

Just my opinion of course...

amen to that! ^:smug:;)

wow mrtypsu

talk about unappreciative.

i still have Fix You reeling in my head

can we all agree that was the highlight of the show? haha.

i've never witness such an incredibly heartfelt sing along ever

not even "A Shot In the Arm" by Wilco at Warsaw. that was great but not like this.

truly amazing. i wish it could have gone on longer, but for what it was i was full, visually and emotionally.

80 minutes of beauty.

Camu! :kiss:

Did you have an amazing time?!

amazing!!! I was in the 300 section which is pretty far back... but was thrilled to see them come into the crowd!!! :)

I was able to record some video of a few of the numbers in their entirety< I have to find the time to upload them all... but overall, it was a great night!

too bad I never found out what the red wristbands were for though.... :(

Last night's MSG show was agreeably enthralling. As a huge coldplay fan myself though, I was dissappointed in several things. First I don't understand how a megaband such as coldplay that hold 4 full albums worth of well-recieved material can only pick up their instruments for 70 minutes and think they served their audience. I understand it was a free concert but people came far and wide to hear them and I know many left feeling like there was something more. Most importantly, there was not enough clarity between the set and the encore. After rejoining on stage after YELLOW, they went on to play fix you & lovers in japan as their closer. This was not evident though due to Martin not saying anything other than goodnight and walking off stage. In all the shows i've been to I have never seen what I witnessed last night. 10,000 insane coldplay fans continuing to scream and clap in unison for 8-10 minutes after the band left the stage. We wanted one more song so bad and many didn't even realize the show was over until the set began to get stripped. I love coldplay but at such a monumentous show like msg, I don't know how they could go backstage, listen to the deafing begs for an encore, and call it a night. Anything would have done,spare the lightshow and play an acoutic anything. I think they really blew a big chance to connect with energy, intensity, and loyalty of their fans.

^ see this is where I disagree..... i think Chris and the boys were very receptive of the crowd all night!!! I've never seen him so 'enthralled' by the crowd, he was definitely feeding off the energy...

I think a lot of us got a bit greedy wanting more from them. This show was just a teaser of whats to come when they come back around.... so be happy and grateful... :)

and if you want an encore... go see them on Friday... for FREE again... and you can get 2 shows for the price of nothing. :)

the end. :cool::P

too bad I never found out what the red wristbands were for though.... :(

As I was entering last night, I overheard some guy say to his friend that he was getting in to the show just fine until security asked him if he had a wristband, and since he didn't have one they wouldn't let him any further. Maybe that was their form of "extra security" instead of checking every single ID?

Either way, I am never, ever taking mine off. I will wait for it to disintegrate, even if means I will get a weird tan line. :cool:

Oh man, that show was FABULOUS! Viva la Vida was the most epic thing I have ever heard in my life, and GPASUYF rocked way harder than I ever thought was possible. The people in my section were not nearly as into it as my friend and I were, and I think we shocked them a bit by being the most severely intense Coldplay fans in the area! Every time I've seen them they just are even better than the last time. Last night I kept thinking about how lucky I am that I live in a place where I have such easy access to great concerts in NYC and Long Island. Sometimes I think we take for granted that it's so easy for us to get to a famous venue like MSG. I am so lucky to have been able to see Coldplay in NYC, essentially the center of the universe, 3 times (and another time out on the island :)). We are all so lucky to have been there, especially for a free show I would have gladly paid large sums of money for.

However, what we should be most grateful for is that we were all there to experience the world premiere of the MAGIC BALLS! Take that away with you, if nothing else. :laugh3:

i think Chris and the boys were very receptive of the crowd all night!!! I've never seen him so 'enthralled' by the crowd, he was definitely feeding off the energy...

Couldn't agree more. He was defiantly having fun throughout the night. Even (or especially?) when things went less than perfect.

As for the length of show/setlist...

I wouldn't be surprised if what it's been so far is pretty close to what the general tour will see. VLV is selling better than any of their other albums...which means a lot of people that haven't bought Coldplay in the past are buying now. To appeal to the greatest common audience, they can't ignore these people that are, shall we say, late to the party. Politik is awesome, What If, well, the list goes on, we all have our favorites. But the new album and the big radio hits are going to appeal to those CURRENTLY being marketed towards. Putting a bubble around the long-time fans is not going to help the group grow their fan base.

After rejoining on stage after YELLOW, they went on to play fix you & lovers in japan as their closer. This was not evident though due to Martin not saying anything other than goodnight and walking off stage. In all the shows i've been to I have never seen what I witnessed last night. 10,000 insane coldplay fans continuing to scream and clap in unison for 8-10 minutes after the band left the stage. We wanted one more song so bad and many didn't even realize the show was over until the set began to get stripped.

As far as a negative review goes, I actually agree with that 100%

The one more song thing is the only thing that bugged my cousin and everyone that stayed clapping and chanting.

One more song "would have sealed the deal"

BUT it was free and I totally enjoyed myself.

I got over it quick, as did he.

But yeah, I agree completely.

Anyone who got to go to this FREE show, while so many of us fans did not win/get tickets, should NOT complain about the length of the set. Be happy you were there and got to enjoy a great show for FREE!! It certainly wasn't FREE for Coldplay who undoubtedly had to pay something for the venue to provide this show to you all!

If you scalped tickets, sorry, but that's your mistake. By paying for tickets, you've taken away from the purpose of the show to be FREE and keep the scalpers out. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like security was able to do much to monitor that the tickets matched the winner, which is what I hoped. I would have killed to be there, but I wasn't about to pay scalpers for tickets.

So instead of complaining, just smile, say thanks and provide a review rather than a complaint!