✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jun-08: New York - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daylight was on the radio today and after it played they were talking about the show and someone who didn't get tickets but went to the garden anyway. she somehow not only got tix, but front row tix. just made me feel worse:(

Anyone who got to go to this FREE show, while so many of us fans did not win/get tickets, should NOT complain about the length of the set. Be happy you were there and got to enjoy a great show for FREE!! It certainly wasn't FREE for Coldplay who undoubtedly had to pay something for the venue to provide this show to you all!

If you scalped tickets, sorry, but that's your mistake. By paying for tickets, you've taken away from the purpose of the show to be FREE and keep the scalpers out. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like security was able to do much to monitor that the tickets matched the winner, which is what I hoped. I would have killed to be there, but I wasn't about to pay scalpers for tickets.

So instead of complaining, just smile, say thanks and provide a review rather than a complaint!

Well said. I just. can't. believe.... that anyone.... ANYONE would complain after being so lucky as to get tickets to this concert. For those of you lucky fans, congratulations. This is one of thousands of die hard Coldplay fans, that no matter what, never found a way to get a ticket to the show. Sure, I could have possibly paid an astronomical price for a concert that was supposed to be free as a fan appreciation concert but one, I couldn't afford to, and two, I wouldn't allow myself to stoop to paying someone that was willing to give up their ticket. I live in NY city's backyard. I was so close by, so close to my favorite band of all time, and I wasn't there. To have the nerve, the gall, to not just be thankful you got to hear a live note, let alone over an hour of music, is beyond me.

I hope I am speaking for so many of us that were shut out and left feeling completely disappointed that we couldn't participate. I was so disappointed last night, I just wanted the night to be over so I didn't have to be so sad that I wasn't there.

So please.... PLEASE don't complain about anything. Don't complain about shit.

You were there. Others weren't.

I can't believe some of the reviews coming out for this show. Calling the band anemic and clumsy, complaining about delays and forgotten lyrics. To be honest, I LOVE when that happens It lets you know these guys are humans, and makes you feel like you're just hanging with the guys of Coldplay. I thought the energy was through the roof. I had goosebumps at many points through the set, and Chris's voice sounded almost record quality for the first time in a long long while.

Gas to from Reading PA to Princeton NJ $30

Train Penn Station $20

Dinner in the city $13

Attending Coldplay's free show at MSG - Priceless

I was one of the lucky fans to win tickets via the website. Just like everyone else in the audience mine were F-R-E-E!

Let's not cry about what you personally wanted out of this show. If you wanted to hear a certain song they didn't play, put on your ipod and rock out to it at home.

I thought the show was amazing! Chris's improv lyrics in fix you were hilarious. Taking the band off the main stage twice in different areas of the arena definitely showed me Coldplay is about their fans.

I love the new cd my personal favorite Lost was spectacular last night.

For all the people who have the chance to see them this time around congrats your in for a great show.

If they played the same exact set again when I see them in Philly in a few weeks, I wouldn't care one bit. Tickets to philly show- $95:D

if the guys do happen to 'parooze' the boards... i am sure they'll be pleased that the "FANS" had a great time and thought the gig was spot on.... :cool:;)

even if they do hold the NY Times to a high regard... I think the fans matter the most. :)

Coldplay Overcome 'Ear Trouble' To Wow At Free New York Show

200coldplay-brixton7.jpg

Coldplay brought to an end their trio of free shows with a star-studded performance at Madison Square Garden in New York last night (June 23rd).

The concert, which followed free shows in London and Barcelona, saw the band perform songs from their number one album 'Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends'.

Despite a number of technical difficulties, which included Chris Martin stopping one song because his ear piece fell out, the band delivered a powerful set.

As with the band's previous shows, Martin was on jovial form throughout the concert, joking at one point about the bands chart success in America, where they currently hold the number one spot on the singles countdown with the album's title track.

“Somehow this made it to No. 1 in your country," Martin told the crowd.

"It just goes to show you what good marketing and a handsome bass player can do."

Coldplay's set was watched by a number of celebrities, including Molly Sims and Helana Christensen.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/44102/coldplay-overcome-ear-trouble-to-wow-at-free-new-york-show

daylight was on the radio today and after it played they were talking about the show and someone who didn't get tickets but went to the garden anyway. she somehow not only got tix, but front row tix. just made me feel worse:(

You obviously sent Ian a PM about the Today show right?

Guest Hyperfried

Well, I took the train in from Delaware yesterday to see the show. And oh my God, was it more than I had ever expected.

I don't care about what everyone's saying about all of these forgotten lyrics, clumsiness, shortness of the show... or anything else. Keep it to yourselves. The only complaint I had: Yes, the opening acts, for a total of an hour and a half, were a bit dull. The Blue Jackets aren't too great, and Jon Hopkins... while cool, it kinda dragged on. I also felt like I was on acid.

As for the show... pure. Brilliance. I was in simultaneous ecstasy and awe for most of the night. From the time the curtain rose on Life in Technicolor to the beautiful confetti- and video-infused closer of Lovers in Japan, it was pure brilliance by our favorite band. Admittedly, this was only my second concert - the first being the last on the American leg of the X&Y tour in Philadelphia. This topped it, by loads.

The energy was amazing. Viva la Vida is really their new anthem, and it shined when they played it, especially during the crowd-chorus. Lost! was surprisingly good, and had a ton of energy to it. Nice handclaps, definitely. 42 was really powerful, too. Johnny was awesome. As a closer, Lovers in Japan was fantastic, especially with the added video screen, confetti and lights. It was a wonderful send-off.

It was nice to hear a lot of good old stuff, too. Clocks bringing back the laser lights - made for a lot of oohs and ahs. GPASUYF is now one of my favorite songs. I had severely underestimated the power of it until now. It was also good to hear Square One and Fix You again. Great, energetic and beautiful songs, those.

And of course, lots of great surprises. First sighting of the magic balls! I loved those things - so cool, especially on Lost! The showing of the lyrics was so very cool. Then, the short set of CSC and GPASUYF in the middle of the stage was cool. Sure did confuse a lot of people. And the balcony-esque playing of Yellow was fantastic. I think I had a smile bigger than my face for the whole song. And Goldrush... loved it. Will has such a cool voice!

Plus, of course, the intangibles... Such great ad-libbing and everything! I think the thing that really sets Coldplay apart now is their ability to be so relaxed, and interact with the crowd. Always Chris was cracking jokes about the ticket price and such, made us happy. Plus, he rolled with the mistakes. When CSC's start got a bit messed up, he joked about sending us all home. "Fuck it, we'll cancel the gig." When the ending of Lost! got a little funky, he actually redid it as a singalong, which I thought was fantastic. Plus, of course, Fix You:

"When your high up above or down below/

When there's lyrics to old songs that you dont know/

When you embarass yourself at MSG/

Well it doesen't matter one bit, everyone got in for free!"

I came away with quite a few new quotes from this show, and a vivid memory of probably the best concert I've been to in a while, regardless of what anyone says about it. It was especially moving to me because I just broke up with my girlfriend, and I was in the middle of recuperating... and I found that a lot of these songs touched me in a way I didn't think possible.

Fantastic show.

IMGP0267.jpg

their setlist is long or not their encore is there or not.

I am also a huge fan of coldplay but never express it like others.

but never got a oppurtunity to see them for free like others.

but still i like to pay the price to see them live and feel happy you know.

Any way i am going to Today show that's what really matters to me.

They're lucky ok but they're trying to diss this band as they're finely using their oppurtunity that's what i hate that attitude in people who criticizes this band.

The bitching is so unnecessary, I considered this show a sneak peek of the full tour. I don't know what other people expected. Now I have to figure how to get through the rest of the week since Monday was already the highlight of the week. I can't wait til 8/2/2008 when I'll be covered with confetti and 4 rows off from the left runway.

So the two catwalk things coming out from each side of the stage, do they go out on them? Often? Occasionally?

yes, as a band and solo.

Did the confettis fall only on the Floor section or everywhere in the MSG?

yes. Floor section mainly...

Who knows.. half of them don't even know the set list

did you ask politely?? :P

Intro- Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva la Vida

Chinese Sleep Chant

GPASUYF

Square One

Trouble

Lost!

Strawberry Swing

Yellow

…Death Will Never Conquer (Will’s Solo)

Fix You

Lover’s in Japan

:cool:

Have we had this one? I don't think we have :uhoh:

Bless the melodic middleweights; Coldplay kickstarts tour in New York

New York -- Rock band or pop band?

Musical democracy or stardom conceit?

The personae of Coldplay were in stark relief in a packed Madison Square Garden Monday night, to pro- and con-effect.

For those on the pro side -- and there were thousands and thousands of them, cheering among the fallen confetti even after the band's New York dress rehearsal set ended after only 70 minutes -- the show fulfilled their cherished but middle-deep passions. With rough edges showing in the staging but engaging energy throughout, singer Chris Martin led his band through their multi-million-selling catalogue and the new one, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

Melodies were plentiful. The new album's No. 1 status was confirmed.

However, this is clearly a band that aches to be major, to mean something beyond the soothingly melancholy ballad-anthems that are their stock in trade.

Those ambitions have drawn some dismissive comparisons to more epic bands (one blogger on an unrelated site called them "Radiohead for soccer moms").

And those ambitions were communicated in a few rocktastic staging pieces among the minor glitches of Monday's show.

Under six strange video-orbs suspended from the venue ceiling, the band followed the instrumental "Life In Technicolor" with uber-catchy "Violet Hill" and the classicist pop-rock of "Clocks." Two ramps led into the crowd from either end of the stage, the better for Martin to access his people.

He's a necessarily active frontman, with a goofily commanding swagger and abundant but sometimes flinty charm. Working an acoustic guitar while the band erected the inward yet expansive sound, he was into "In My Place" and the crowd was immediately onside.

Now, this was a work in progress. "Viva La Vida" was pleasing, but downsized a little early in the set, with Will Champion manning the stage-front kettledrums.

Shortly after, your critic was briefly detained from returning to his seat after a bathroom run. Part of the hallway had been cordoned off; as it turned out, so Martin could lead his band into "something completely different" -- a run through the crowd to the seats in the far corner of the arena.

Setting up a mic, he said, "If it backfires, please forgive us" and offered an acoustic version of "Yellow" before turning the mic over to drummer Champion for an Irish pub vocal.

Screams of stardom-proximity were screamed, and cellphone cameras were hoisted. A moment was rehearsed, and earned. A bravura, winning move. It almost made up for the wrong-headed gesture during the earlier mini-set when -- after rocking through "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face," with guitarist Johnny Buckland channeling Johnny Marr -- the band was dismissed back to the darkened mainstage while Martin opened the next song solo.

I tried to think of a precedent for that, when the putative "band" image was so severely undercut, and failed. Yes, it only lasted a minute. But would Townshend or Richards or Page or Edge ever have allowed the singer to suck up the limelight while he soldiered off-camera?

No, there's one star here. He was the guy in the skin-tight leggings and distressed marching-band jacket, commanding attention during "Square One" and "Trouble."

"It just goes to show when you've got a handsome bass player, you can achieve anything," he'd said, and while it was meant as self-deprecation, it only served to remind that the band gives off very little whiff of rock 'n' roll camaraderie.

Whether in service of the songs or the band model, there's little room for the kind of inter-band rivalry that ignites rock alchemy, turning the lead of good into the gold of great. When enough fluorescent confetti to fill a KISS show was fired from cannons during "Lovers In Japan/ Reign of Love," the crowd basked in the moment and departed in an orderly fashion after cheerily attempting to coax an encore.

So, pop and stardom, to answer the questions above. And fair enough.

Bless the melodic middleweights, for radio needs you, until the next rock Ali appears, throwing knockout anthems with both fists.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=9bc087dc-e9ab-46a0-aabf-d398cfc0853a