✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy Berryman is a bass player - what's his best Bass playing?

Fixed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My faves:

Don't Panic: Smooth all the way down.

Sparks: His most prominent bass role in virtually any song, it's a great centerpiece for the song, and it's very relaxing/mellow.

Trouble: The softness of the song causes the bass vibes to rise to the top, maybe not the example for guys talents, but I like it.

Everything's not lost: Love the accompanying melody in the chorus!

GPASUYF: I know Guy and Chris spent some time trying to work it out, although simple the bassline really does drive the song and keeps it interesting.

Clocks: One of my faves, big fan of that little descending bit after the chorus.

Daylight: Great.

A whisper: Not my fav, but since it's one of the bassiest coldplay songs out there it's worth a mention.

Square one: Cool.

White shadows: Cooler.

Things I don't Understand: Awesome, in my top three for guy's bass riffs.

Honorable mentions:

For you: Simple. yes. But the quietness of the song makes the bass that much more satisfying.

High speed: Jonny's grooves overshadow most of the bass throughout the song, but I do love that "do-do da-da-do..." in the outro.

Ladder to the sun, Pour me.: Because.

He does this little melodic bit up the neck for one bar on Talk during the last chorus that makes the whole song for me.

God Put A Smile for the reasons already mentioned

Shiver...it just drives. I'm not explaining it well, but rhythmically Guy and Will work so well together.

To many more for my lazy streak to type right now.

Tnspieler1012: Ahhh, I agree with all of those!

The bass in Sparks really makes the song. I love how it responds to Chris' voice when he says "And I saw sparks..." do do do dooooo. Ah love it.

Everything's Not Lost has a groovy one too, I find that it gives the song that extra bit of life it needs, and it contrasts all the mellow layers of instruments above it. Works really well.

Things I Don't Understand is, I agree, one of his best! It basically IS the song. Plus I love the lyrics in that one too, I dont understand how it got left off X&Y at all.

I could go on forever, but I would just be repeating what other people have already said :wink:

Sparks obviously

Speed of Sound and Clocks are 2 songs that have unappreciated bass parts, yet without them the songs would be empty.

I cant believe no one mentioned Low, as constant speedy bassline with up-down picking throughout. Ive played it and its tough.

• 3 months later...