✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12-Sep-2008: Koln Arena ,Cologne - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not when they're doing 22 dates all over Europe in only 30 days. They'll burn themselves out.

The setlist is a decent size and has grown since the tour started.

I'd rather see a show where they give it their all, utilise the whole of the arena by using different stages, ramps etc. than an overly long show where they're getting bored.

true that.

Alright, here`s the first part of my (and my friend`s) review for yesterday, sorry for my bad English and for the (too) long text:

It all started as we arrived in Cologne. I bought the tickets on eBay, that`s why I got a ticket for the “vip-carpark”. My friend and me got out the car and had to walk over a kind of red carpet to get into the arena. Everywhere were young women in red uniforms who told us where to go, I didn`t expect this vip-treatment, but it was great (we´re both 15-years old, we were the youngest in this area. A friendly lady told us how to get to the “Backstage”-restaurant (we got the two tickets for the restaurant in eBay, too). It was quite fancy. We had both Coldplay-shirts on, the other people (all around thirty years old) wore more dressy stuff and we caught the attraction. J We even got Cola in vine-glasses!

After the dinner we went to our seats (Block 206, Row 10). We sat down and Albert Hammond Jr. started to play his second song, as two guys came and told us, we were sitting on their seats! He was right, we sat in Block 207 :P but now we had to find our seats in the dark and loud arena. (But now we had even better view!) There were two young women next to us, in Block 206 but they had also been in 207 before, they did the same mistake as we didJ.

Albert Hammond jr. was cool, I was at the concert in Mannheim, too, and that´s why I already knew some of his songs. The light show was nothing special, but the guys were good as supporting band.

When they were gone, we went out again to buy a t-shirt and some stickers and buttons. The lady at the merchandise-shop wasn`t very busy, she discussed for minutes with a woman and her son, because he wanted the shirt with the Album-cover on, but they thought it would be glorifying violence :/ anyway, we finally got the shirt and went back to our seats.

And then the concert began. I decided I should better record the audio and NOT take too many videos and photos as I did at Mannheim (it turned out to be a good decision, we´re listening to it right now J, ask me if you want me to upload).

The lights went down and the band entered the stage. The crowd went crazy when we could hear the first tones of Life in Technicolor. They were playing behind the huge curtain, as usual, and the album cover with the French Revolution was shown behind them. It was a great moment for me, everyone stood up at once and moved to the music.

Violet Hill was the second song (I know the correct setlist, because I recorded the concert, believe me :P ). The curtain was pulled up and the guys were jumping all over the stage. Everyone in the arena sang along (later we noticed that we had our seats between quite boring people, one women even complaint because I was jumping! If I`ll ever see her again, I`ll … rrrggghhhh:veryangry2::veryangry2::veryangry2:). Chris said “Guten Abend, meine Freunde” (= good evening, my friends) and…

Clocks started right away. They used the green lights and the crowed went crazy again. And the magic balls were used the first time :flutterby: I love them!

In my Place was the next song, Chris said something about his best friend Jonny, and they were laying over each other in the end on the b-stage :D Chrissy said “Dankeschön” (= thank you)…

…and Speed of Sound began. The crowed was still singing and the lucky guys in the middle of the arena were dancing (next time I`ll definitely buy tickets for “Stehplätze”, the people sitting are way too boring in my opinion). The magic balls shown in all colours and looked like they were turning J Chris said “Wir freuen uns, in Köln zu sein! Entschuldigung, dass mein Deutsch so schlecht ist.“ (= We´re happy to be in Cologne! Sorry for my bad German.)

Cemeteries of London was the next song, one of my favourite songs, btw.. They were showing the album cover and the light made everything look blue.

Chinese Sleep Chant followed, with red magic balls and yellow lights.

The next song was 42. Chris sat on his piano and his face was at first shown on the big screen behind the stage. He looked like in an old movie, all in black and white. When the song became more “exciting”, they used many lights and everything was bright.

I thought of this again-----and maybe he continued playing with one hand because he kept one hand at the piano....but that isn't really possible, because the tune didn't change and suddenly he was playing with 2 hands again ....:wacky:

dont try to find the man some lame excuses :laugh3:

HA!I found a video of it.....if you have a close look at the right side of the video you can see Guy standing up..:P

:laugh4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6StpUndyu98

edit; he does it at the time of 0:54...ahahahha and listen to Chris laughing after the first "lalalalalay"

great pics above....:stunned:

haha ! thanks :lol: he seems a bit lost.. like 'huuh what am i doing now, it's not over BIG OOPS!' :uhoh: :lol:

thanks everyone for your nice reviews, pics and all ! :D

Here´s the second part of my Monster-Review :) enjoy:

Surprisingly they played Fix you as next song. I expected it to be at the end of the gig, because it´s the perfect song for to say goodbye J I have to say that I nearly cried, but it´s so fricking touching :D And Chris said, our singing was fucking great J

Strawberry Swing followed, everyone clapped their hands, because so did Guy, I think ( I didn´t really see the guys on stage, mostly noticed Chris jumping and joking around through the whole concert, I didn`t even see my Jonny-Boy so often L )

Then the whole band went to the b-stage on Guy´s side and played this amazing techno version of GPASUYF . It was great and Ireally saw the band the first, cause I was standing on this side, too.

They were changing into Talk without a break, the crowd clapping their hands and Will playing on a strange kind of electric drums, I`ve never seen that before, but it sounded really awesome J

Will, Guy and Jonny left the stage, and Chris told us that he invented a new dance; he said he knew it would look stupid and he was right. He told us that he was going to play a song written before most of us were born and started to play Hardest Part alone on his piano. Really beautiful J

Then Chris started to play Postcards from far away, I haven`t even heard the full song, but I know it´s beautiful. Chris stopped, he didn`t say anything, just moved his arms to introduce

Viva la Vida. The crowd went totally crazy, even the boring people around us started to sing along and clap their hands. This was definitely the highlight of the evening. Everyone was singin “ohohohohohoho ohh, ohohohhohoh, oh”, many times in a row, the crowd didn´t want to stop J

Lost! Was the next song they played, really good, but nothing special.

Then they went to the small stage in the middle of the crowd and played The scientist acoustic. The crowd sang along and I could again see them better, they were standing opposite to us. J

The next song was Death will never conquer, sung by Will. The crowd was clapping again and Chris played harmonica.

They went off again, disappearing behind the little stage and we heard an awesome techno version of Viva la Vida, while the crowed still sang the VLV-Choirs.

They appeared on the main stage again and Politik started with Chris on piano. Chris changed “Don`t forget the rest of us“to”50 000 Germans watching us”

Reign of Love followed, it was quite calming but lovely.

Lovers in Japan was the next song, with this strange film in the background. I screamed as hell when the butterflies came down. Unluckily I didn´t reach them L , anyway, another highlight of the evening!

Then Chris said, that next song was probably the last one because they had to be in Hamburg the next day and in Berlin, but that quite sucked.I don`t know why but he shouldn´t have said that IMO. They played Death and all his friends, probably me favourite song of all time J They really rocked and when this “I don´t wanna battle…” part came … I don´t know how to describe it, so extremely touching… I guess I forgot everything around me….

And so they went away and I became really sad, because I didn´t want them to go… some guys started to sing VLV again, but suddenly the lights went down for a last time and the band entered the stage and began to play Yellow ! I was screaming like hell, I expected everything but not this song. The arena was shining in Yellow and the crowd began to sing and dance one more time J Chris was jumping around and they finally left. A great ending for a great evening!

We could hear the Escapist when the lights turned up and while everyone was clapping.

Me and my friend walked to the arena in the middle to get some butterflies, two girls in our age did that too, and someone filled their whole bag up with them, we were only allowed to take a few L and I had to look for them on our whole way to the car park. Some people were singing VLV, looking for merchandise or buying drinks. I reached the car park and I can truly say that these two hours were the best in my short life. Thanks, Coldplay! And thanks for readingJ

Thanks!!:D:rolleyes:

Next up R.E.M. on Wednesday!:D

I`ve been to rem, too! :)

r.e.m in würzburg, then coldplay in mannheim and yesterday coldplay in köln ;)

but it was my last concert, I have to wait until the next cp album to see them again! :bigcry: