✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

so um, whats up with coldplay blatantly ripping off Depeche Mode?

t8thgr8

Well, they are big fans of DM. The first time I heard LIT I thought the chord progression in the beginning sounded familiar but couldn't place it. But yeah, now that I think of it, it's quite similar to that big synth hook in Strangelove. Hmmm...:thinking:

Well, they are big fans of DM. The first time I heard LIT I thought the chord progression in the beginning sounded familiar but couldn't place it. But yeah, now that I think of it, it's quite similar to that big synth hook in Strangelove. Hmmm...:thinking:

id say its a little more than quite similar

im afraid im gonna have to say the nail is being driven in.

Life in technicolor = strangelove

Getting really sick of these comparisons. Everytime someone makes them I expect to hear a blantent rip off. What you have here is THREE notes at the end of a PHRASE that are the same for ONE measure. Obviously the people who make these comparisons do not play in bands or have ANY music theory what so ever so for those you who think is heres a little lesson for you:

In music there are TWELVE notes to choose from.

Depending on the key of the composition there is less than 12 to choose from

THREE notes in sequence together and a similar synth progression for 10 seconds does NOT constitute as a rip off

Take a look at clocks, you hear similar progressions EVERYWHERE. Why? because in a 4/4 time signature it is an easy/popular arrpegio to use.

Please, just stop

• 5 months later...
Getting really sick of these comparisons. Everytime someone makes them I expect to hear a blantent rip off. What you have here is THREE notes at the end of a PHRASE that are the same for ONE measure. Obviously the people who make these comparisons do not play in bands or have ANY music theory what so ever so for those you who think is heres a little lesson for you:

In music there are TWELVE notes to choose from.

Depending on the key of the composition there is less than 12 to choose from

THREE notes in sequence together and a similar synth progression for 10 seconds does NOT constitute as a rip off

Take a look at clocks, you hear similar progressions EVERYWHERE. Why? because in a 4/4 time signature it is an easy/popular arrpegio to use.

Please, just stop

:clap:

WHO CARES!!!!......coldplay didnt even do that song that guy hopkins did!!!!!

That's right

I have no musical ability or experience whatsoever, but would agree with Mich's statement that you can find similarities in lots of songs. Have a listen (and a laugh) to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fQ1P4Mwlc]YouTube - The Axis of Awesome : 4 Chords (Live)[/ame]