✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Aug-2009: Esprit Arena, Düsseldorf, Ger - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicole, that's so awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!!! :dance:

How exactly did it happen? Did you already post the story, I couldn't find it when I went back a few pages... If you haven't, could you tell us EXACTLY what happened? every little detail, please?!?! :D

Coldplay concert in Düsseldorf on 27 August 2009

Comments to dasdull: Then Coldplay started playing. The sound was really good for an outdoor arena. :) But when Chris sang Violet Hill and Clocks, you could hear that he was a bit sick. :( Comment: Being a superhero he went through the concert anyway. :) Clocks sounded terrible, in fact. :( Chris' falsetto was great :), but he had problems hitting the "normal" notes, and sang everything a bit to high! :( They also had technical problems during the first songs, :( but the crowd was great, :) (comment: of course when so many coldplayers were there in the front row knowing the lyrics) :D and so we had a good time anyway. :) Even most people in the seats were standing, singing and clapping all the time. :)

The show got better and better. :) (comment: combined positive energy from the band and the coldplayers) During The hardest Part and the C-Stage songs Chris sounded great :), and Viva la Vida and the Encore songs were amazing, :)they put so much energy into their songs. :)

Chris was talking in German to us very often, and changed a lot of the lyrics. They

even played a short 30 second song about the gig and düsseldorf after Til

Kingdom come! (Comment: CM seems to be not only a musical genius, but a linguistic one as well). :)

Thank you, dasdull, for a very good and informative review. :)

I have now read the article (mentioned here with a link) published on RP ONLINE (ONLINE version of the newspaper Rheinische Post) with the title: Coldplay verzaubern Düsseldorf / Düsseldorf enchanted by Coldplay. In fact I am translating it now and I am also going to include a translation of some short comments made by fans leaving the Esprit Arena published on the same website. Will be posted between 20 and 21 this evening German time (it is now 19 o'clock in Denmark / Germany). :)

Haha, he spoke a lot more German in Düsseldorf than he did in Hannover. He often said "Hallo, wie geht's meine Freunde" (Hello, how's it going my friends) and he talked a lot in German when he tried to do the Mexican mobile phone wave. Sadly he didn't tell the audience from where the wave should have started. So everyone was a bit confused lol. But I really liked listening to his German, although he did some mistakes. But it's a difficult language. :D

Oh btw, shortly before the show, they removed the curtain which fell down onto the band in Hannover while they started to play Violet Hill on Tuesday. I guess they were afraid lol.

Hehe, am Gate hab ich dich noch gesehen. War leider erst ca. 15:30 Uhr in Düsseldorf, weil ich noch bei Oberhausen im Stau stand. Da war es dann schon etwas voller a den Eingängen. Hab ein paar mal sogar deinen Namen gerufen, aber du hast mich nicht gehört glaub ich. :P Im Stadion selbst habe ich dich dann leider nicht mehr gesehen. Ich war ganz vorne an der Bühne, etwas weiter links. Dann hätte man sich eigentlich sehen müssen. :lol: Naja schade! Aber hoffe du hattest auch so eine tolle Zeit wie ich. :)

du hast mich noch gerufen?Haha wie geil is das denn....?:P

Ich war wahrscheinlich zu genervt von dieser ganzen Warterei, dass ich das nicht gehört hab...hmmm also du hättest mich dann wohl eher gesehen, wenn du dich umgedreht hättest...ich stand ja nicht an der Seite, sondern frontal zum linken Steg...;)

so, I have to say the bass was really a bit too much, but it didn't annoy me...I haven't really een excited after the cocnert yesterday, but today I have been...I couldn't even eat much, because I feel somewhat strange...yesterday I said I can't listen to Coldplay for some weeks, but it is exactly the opposite today...:wacky:

yesterday I was a bit "pissed" that I have to share my love for this band with thousands of people who only know Viva La Vida....I don't know why that made me feel bad---:thinking:

yesterday I was a bit "pissed" that I have to share my love for this band with thousands of people who only know Viva La Vida....I don't know why that made me feel bad---:thinking:

That's the thing the pissed me off the most - I hate the german audience sorry but I'm only honest - it's my second concert on which people behave like zombies...

That's the thing the pissed me off the most - I hate the german audience sorry but I'm only honest - it's my second concert on which people behave like zombies...

That's very unfair! At many concerts I have found German audiences to be fantastic and at the London 02 in December I found myself surrounded by "zombies" at both concerts, and even spoke a guy next to me who didn't know who "Will" was.:stunned::shocked2::stunned:

well...I think Chris really meant it when he said at the end that Will, Jonny, Guy and him decided backstage that we have been one of the best crowds they have ever seen in the world...

Yeah! Really impressive :D

They've been playing Yellow far, far too fast for a while, annoys me slightly, like they just want to get it over with.

my sister calls them "U-Boot" fans...like people who only like football when there is a world championship...those people are the ones who wear the t-shirts and who scream the Viva La Vida "ooohooohoohh" the loudest....and who only have fun when they play their new songs, esp. Viva La Vida...I think in my area I was one of the few who really enjoyed everything...and ewwww there was this family standing next to my sister and they were rather talking about Chris' private life than about anything else...my sister was really pissed afterwards...I think they didn*t even know the other band members...

That's very unfair! At many concerts I have found German audiences to be fantastic and at the London 02 in December I found myself surrounded by "zombies" at both concerts, and even spoke a guy next to me who didn't know who "Will" was.;)

Maybe you've got a better impression of it because you were in the front row - I had my binoculars with me and saw that there was a lot of party over there -

Sadly not in the seating areas - I only say - let's go to the cinema - where's the popcorn? :D

Nicole, that's so awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!!! :dance:

How exactly did it happen? Did you already post the story, I couldn't find it when I went back a few pages... If you haven't, could you tell us EXACTLY what happened? every little detail, please?!?! :D

Okay, here is a short review how I got Chris' shirt. Months ago I joked with TickingClock about a banner for my concerts.We had stupid ideas like "Chocolate or bondage?" and such things ...

Finally, I ordered a banner on the Internet with "Chris, please let's make a deal - you give me your shirt and I give you some chocolate?!"

I didn't really believe that he would give me his shirt, but I found the text well and "If you never try you'll never know"

Yesterday I managed to exist in the first row and stood next to Chris Piano.

And as he sat down and began to play"Clocks", I held up my banner. He saw it, stopped short, read it again, looked at me and nodded briefly.

I thought "Okay, he has seen it and now?"

At the end of the concert, when all four guys came forward, I held it up again. Chris looked at me again and nodded again.

The guys then came back to play the encore and I saw Chris was wearing no shirt under his jacket (the jacket was buttoned).

Chris sat down at the piano and told about LRLRL and suddenly I saw Phil running at me. He held something in his hand, remained in front of me and said, "That's from Chris for you" and gave me the shirt.

I must have looked stunned at the moment. I said to Phil "OMG, thank you and that's for Chris," and quickly gave him the chocolate.

I held the shirt pressed close to me. The band began to play, and Chris looked at me again to see if I got the shirt. I beamed at him and screamed as loud as I could, "Thank You!" He grinned at me and sorry, at least since the moment I was definitely dead...

Maybe you've got a better impression of it because you were in the front row - I had my binoculars with me and saw that there was a lot of party over there -

Sadly not in the seating areas - I only say - let's go to the cinema - where's the popcorn? :D

All I'm saying is Coldplay have "bandwagon" fans like that all over the world - it's an inevitable downside of their massive popularity.

And seated areas suck everywhere, weather it's a rock concert or a football match.;)

my sister calls them "U-Boot" fans...like people who only like football when there is a world championship...those people are the ones who wear the t-shirts and who scream the Viva La Vida "ooohooohoohh" the loudest....and who only have fun when they play their new songs, esp. Viva La Vida...I think in my area I was one of the few who really enjoyed everything...and ewwww there was this family standing next to my sister and they were rather talking about Chris' private life than about anything else...my sister was really pissed afterwards...I think they didn*t even know the other band members...

I can totally understand you. I went to the concert in Hannover as well and I was really sad afterwards and disappointed. Not with the band but with the crowd. It felt like I was the only one who knew all the songs and not only Viva la Vida. Of course there must have been other "proper" fans, but they were nowhere near me. :cry: Düsseldorf was great, however. I guess I was just lucky because the people next to me were really into every song.

These types of gossipmongers are also very bad...you're so right. And I like the expression "U-Boot-Fans", good word to describe them - I was so sad after the gig that I did not find anyone that I could talk to but finally I found some nice girls on my way to the car. They were celebrating that there finally got a LRLRLR-CD from a nice man because it was not so easy to get them when you came from the groundfloor. We've been talking a lot about the gig and Coldplay and we exchanged e-mail adresses becauese they're not a member of coldplaying.com

I think next time Coldplay should give a concert only for us Coldplayers and real fans - that would be magnificient!

du hast mich noch gerufen?Haha wie geil is das denn....?:P

Ich war wahrscheinlich zu genervt von dieser ganzen Warterei, dass ich das nicht gehört hab...hmmm also du hättest mich dann wohl eher gesehen, wenn du dich umgedreht hättest...ich stand ja nicht an der Seite, sondern frontal zum linken Steg...;)

Ja schade Mensch! :( Bisschen blöd gelaufen! Konnte leider nicht zu dir rüberkommen, weil jeden Moment ja die Tore geöffnet wurden. Naja nächstes Mal! :P Aber freut mich, dass dir das Konzert auch gefallen hat.

Haha, that video below was definitely my highlight last night! Chris speaking German! He even knew that "Handy" is the German word for mobile phone. :D He sounds like someone from the fun rides on the Oktoberfest!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLooMHrpfF4]YouTube - Coldplay Dusseldorf 2009 - Death Will Never Conquer by Will Champion + LAOLA[/ame]

At 2:28...

"Danke! Heute machen wir mit euch eine Laola-Welle, aber mit euren Handys. Wir starten rechts hinten bei drei. Eins, zwei, drei, go..."

"Thanks! Today we're doing a Mexican wave, but with your mobile phones. We start from back right at three. One, two, three, go..."

:wacky:

Okay, here is a short review how I got Chris' shirt. Months ago I joked with TickingClock about a banner for my concerts.We had stupid ideas like "Chocolate or bondage?" and such things ...

Finally, I ordered a banner on the Internet with "Chris, please let's make a deal - you give me your shirt and I give you some chocolate?!"

I didn't really believe that he would give me his shirt, but I found the text well and "If you never try you'll never know"

Yesterday I managed to exist in the first row and stood next to Chris Piano.

And as he sat down and began to play"Clocks", I held up my banner. He saw it, stopped short, read it again, looked at me and nodded briefly.

I thought "Okay, he has seen it and now?"

At the end of the concert, when all four guys came forward, I held it up again. Chris looked at me again and nodded again.

The guys then came back to play the encore and I saw Chris was wearing no shirt under his jacket (the jacket was buttoned).

Chris sat down at the piano and told about LRLRL and suddenly I saw Phil running at me. He held something in his hand, remained in front of me and said, "That's from Chris for you" and gave me the shirt.

I must have looked stunned at the moment. I said to Phil "OMG, thank you and that's for Chris," and quickly gave him the chocolate.

I held the shirt pressed close to me. The band began to play, and Chris looked at me again to see if I got the shirt. I beamed at him and screamed as loud as I could, "Thank You!" He grinned at me and sorry, at least since the moment I was definitely dead...

God, you're lucky! That's so cool! :)