✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Aug-2009: Esprit Arena, Düsseldorf, Ger - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Well, that really sounds chaotic. Btw I can imagine the situation you describe here - and looking for / hoping for the red light to turn green, maybe your eyes were about to turn green - into GREEN EYES! :laugh3:

Yep you really got it right...:D

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that really sounds chaotic. Btw I can imagine the situation you describe here - and looking for / hoping for the red light to turn green, maybe your eyes were about to turn green - into GREEN EYES! :laugh3:

Well from what I saw there were definitely some that ended up suffering "a rush of blood to the head"!!:P

I think it is called "Ms Bell's song/Radio wars";)

oh thank you - searched for it but did not find it - here it is, it sounded better in Düsseldorf

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtsiGF7NZs]YouTube - Howling Bells, Radio Wars Theme[/ame]

Just got back from my little trip to Düsseldorf. I'm tired as hell, so I hope you don't expect me to write a proper review now. ;) Maybe it will follow next week, but I'm not quite sure yet... Most about the concert has been said already anyway... ;)

Well, to make it short: What a great night! :heart: :) The boys were just wonderful as always and did an amazing job! :)

I'm also glad I had such an awesome time with all the people I met (Thank you so much again, guys! :hug:). :)

Well, I should say that the organizing at the venue was catastrohpic and that I was rather gutted about it at first, but I decided not to let it ruin my whole concert experience and I tried my very best - and it worked (most of the time :lol:). ;)

So, now I'm just hoping that these "little" things will work out much better tomorrow in Munich and that the Coldplaying-Karma will be with me... ;)

Just got back from my little trip to Düsseldorf. I'm tired as hell, so I hope you don't expect me to write a proper review now. ;) Maybe it will follow next week, but I'm not quite sure yet... Most about the concert has been said already anyway... ;)

Well, to make it short: What a great night! :heart: :) The boys were just wonderful as always and did an amazing job! :)

I'm also glad I had such an awesome time with all the people I met (Thank you so much again, guys! :hug:). :)

Well, I should say that the organizing at the venue was catastrohpic and that I was rather gutted about it at first, but I decided not to let it ruin my whole concert experience and I tried my very best - and it worked (most of the time :lol:). ;)

So, now I'm just hoping that these "little" things will work out much better tomorrow in Munich and that the Coldplaying-Karma will be with me... ;)

You lucky one, at first Düsseldorf and now München...would love to go there as well..

I hope it will be as great as Düsseldorf, but nevertheless I think that Düsseldorf was a very special concert - don't know why I have this impression...

The concert in Düsseldorf yesterday was the BEST concert I've ever been to!! Coldplay totally ROCKED!!!!! I especially loved Viva la vida and Fix you, I had goosebumps when those two songs were played. Btw, thanks for the free copy of leftrightleftrightleft, AWESOME idea!! :)

phew, we're finally back at home as well...

God it was SO brilliant!! My friend and me had soooo much fun and although we were already exhausted before the concert, we just couldn't stop dancing and jumping.

Volunteering for Oxfam was great too, except for the people who said to us that the world is beyond help and it's a waste of time to do something against it and crap like that :dozey: The other volunteers were impressed though with all the email-addresses (for the Oxfam-newsletter) we've got, so I think we weren't that bad :P

We were standing in the front row, on Guy's side, we couldn't see a lot of the stage because we're so small and we were too far away for the butterflys, but we had such a great time there anyway.

After the concert, we had to wait 5 hours until our train came. We were sitting on the stairs of the arena until we were asked to leave :laugh3:, walked around the building and then went to the central station. And then suddenly I felt really sick. I don't know why, maybe I ate something wrong or it was just the combination of it all, having not enough sleep and food during the day, travelling 5 hours in 5 trains, the exhausting gig... so we had to sleep in a hotel instead of staying up all night, which kinda makes me sad. We met aniskywalker at McDonalds and I really would've liked to stay there listening to her storys about signs and t-shirts and chocolate :D

Also at McDonalds, a guy came to us and asked us how the concert was, so we told him how much fun we had. And then he said "Oh.. I've been to a Coldplay concert 6 years ago here in Düsseldorf and I wanted to see them again this time, but the tickets are so expensive... but it seems I missed out on something, right?" Oh yes he did! :P

I'm still overwhelmed by this totally fantastic concert. When Chris said we were one of the best audiences ever I was kind of annoyed, guessed it to be just a phrase. But after thinking about it and reading the latest comment on coldplay.com, I'm happy they really seemed to mean it. This concert really was one of the bests I've ever been to.

That reminds me - that was another highlight for me. Although it was on "the other stage" and we couldn't see it, we had great fun singing the words using our best "high" voices! It was great fun!!

Definitely a stand-out moment which was unique to that particular concert for me!:D

"HEEEEEEHEEEEEE" that was sooooooo damn f*cking awesome!!!!!

Well again I have to say: I had so much fun with all of you! I've never had such a relaxed and fun queing. The whole day was just great, besides the organisation.

my sister calls them "U-Boot" fans...like people who only like football when there is a world championship...those people are the ones who wear the t-shirts and who scream the Viva La Vida "ooohooohoohh" the loudest....and who only have fun when they play their new songs, esp. Viva La Vida...I think in my area I was one of the few who really enjoyed everything...and ewwww there was this family standing next to my sister and they were rather talking about Chris' private life than about anything else...my sister was really pissed afterwards...I think they didn*t even know the other band members...

I kind of get what you mean but I'd not say it like that. I also have two official Coldplay t-shirts I like to wear and I'm a very loud "ooohooohoohh" shouter as well because I think this audience participation is very good for the atmosphere.

The only difference is that I'm dancing and singing along to EVERY song ;)

Once again: Coldplay, Coldplayers and everyone else I spent my time with: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Good evening everybody! :)

I just don’t know where to start and this live blog thread REALLY scares me!!!

You’ve certainly been busy posting here… :shocked2:

I didn’t read anything in this thread so far.

So please excuse if I repeat things that had been said before.

The adventures of Kris will get their own thread – he just experienced too much!! :lol:

3866170294_347fd1ac12_o.jpg

I have to start my review from Wednesday onwards however – I promise it’s worth reading it!

Wednesday

Carol and me arrived in Düsseldorf and went straight to the arena to check out the place.

I didn’t feel ashamed to ask basically ANYBODY we saw how many entrances there will be, where to go once inside etc.

So we walked around quite a bit and everybody we talked to gave us different information! :confused:

But the best info definitely came from the person at the reception of the arena.

I asked how far the works on the stage are done and he said: “I’ve just taken a couple of pics of it but I won’t show you… Look at it yourself!” :shocked2:

I didn’t get what he meant.

He then told us that the restaurant of the hotel next to the arena has a terrace that is INSIDE the arena and we should go there and have a coffee.

Of course we followed his instructions!

Best 3 Euros we spent that day.

We couldn’t believe we are really inside the arena and can watch the roadies working there.

Even funnier: Franksie was having a coke on a table there as well! :)

We ordered a coffee and I don’t know if it was the caffeine or the excitement that made me shake :lol:

They’ve just started building the “ramp of love” and testing the huge screens.

Here are some pics of what it looked like inside after a pic of my favourite trucks:

3866168900_2a631e8962_o.jpg

The view from the terrace:

3866169566_c8f6838639_o.jpg

Setting up the ramp of :love:

3865385835_d1f12c2726_o.jpg

The world turned upside down:

3865386539_2b99d0fee9_o.jpg

They started testing the screens:

3865387197_1c7b39e1cf_o.jpg

"Are you taking a picture of me??"

3866172674_7edd156463_o.jpg

LeftRightLeftRightLeft:

3866173134_dbdd209939_o.jpg

The VIVA test screen :dance:

3865388867_7e0f02f3a8_o.jpg

VIVA balloon, still touching ground:

3866174612_f7e2f0eb6c_o.jpg

Amazing to watch as well:

3865390353_f2d4808944_o.jpg

In the lift of the hotel the “Lauschangriff – Menü” was displayed.

3866168270_4fa10f2a50_o.jpg

It was really hard to leave there :)

We'Ve been told they started working on Sunday!

We then just quickly checked in at our hotel and went to town centre where we met Ilione and her friend to get dinner.

It was so lovely meeting you!!! :hug:

Thursday

I talked to a security guy on Wednesday and when we mentioned we wanted to start queuing at about 8am he said that would be too late!!

But we were determined to get to the front row so we went there at 6am.

Carol, Ilione. and K. – again: I apologise soooooo much for making you get up so early but this is what this guy told me!

Of course Carol and me were the first ones there and we sat down on my blanket that I actually didn’t intend to take back home… More about that later!

Soon after E. & K. arrived and joined our early picnick.

We saw the Dixie toilets arrive :) One of the many highlights at 6am in the morning :lol:

A lovely security guy became our new friend.

He was really helpful and gave us loads of information (he told us about the live blog and the 1LIVE interview etc) and time passed quickly (also because of this telephone conference with Ilione’s lovely and patient mother who bought her a ticket for SP in November!!! :dance: Can’t wait to see you there again! :kiss:).

Later in the morning we were joined by Philip, Mark and… oh sorry, I forgot her name – I said it before that I’m so bad at remembering names!!! :embarassed:

We should be the only ones queuing at this entrance for a long time!

Apparently people only saw the other entrance and didn’t walk further.

We had the better one however because we could use the toilets of the sports hall right next to the entrance.

Kris had an amazing time queuing with us as well, but more about this later – I’ll only write about the concert now…

In the afternoon we were joined by other coldplayers.

Only from 3pm onwards it started to became more crowded and at about 4pm the security people started standing at the about 25 locks.

They decided however to NOT open the locks we were standing at.

“We used to rule the queue…” :angry:

I started a little riot, complaining that I wouldn’t go to the back of the other queues because we were the first ones arriving and queuing the longest time.

We nearly had a heart attack!

After some discussions however we could go to the front of another lock.

The plan was as follows:

Ilione and me will run first, her friend K. and Carol will take the backpacks and run after us.

I only had Kris and my mobile in a see-through plastic bag so I wouldn’t need long to enter the arena.

The guy standing next to me said: “Oh, I’ve seen him already!” So I asked if he was a member as well and he said he wasn’t – he just checked the concert thread to get more information! :)

Kris was spotted after his first trip already!

Ok, so we were all excited and shuffling our feet to run inside. (Carol just said “No, I was shaking!")

This nice security lady kindly already checked my plastic bag before the locks were opened.

She was so nice and I think a bit afraid of the people standing in front of her :)

I was the first one to enter the inside area and started running like crazy…

I was expecting that other people behind me would be faster but they weren’t!!

It’s just unbelievable! Either I don’t realise how much I walk around at work or it was the adrenaline OR people behind us were as unathletic as I am :lol:

I really was the first one to arrive at the entrance of the arena.

There however my heart dropped: They had opened the other entrance before ours and there were loads of people inside already.

I ran past Jackie (who we’ve seen at 9am already) and saw that luckily there was still an empty space at the barriers on Jonny’s side.

This was the place to go then!

Quickly Ilione arrived and helped me reserve the space for K., Larry and Carol.

There we were – FRONT ROW!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I was so happy, if it wouldn’t have worked this review would have been completely different!

I asked a security guy if I can put my banner in front of the barrier (I copied that brilliant idea from you, Camille! I made holes on the edges and brought some strips of cloth to bind them).

He first said it wouldn’t be possible but then asked someone else and said it would be fine as long as the step is accessible. PERFECT.

The funniest coincidence was that the guy standing on my right was calling someone as soon as we got in and his accent sounded all too familiar! So after he finished his phone call I asked where he’s from and it turns out he was only living in the town next to me!!

He was really nice (and we had the same opinion about the Howling Bells…)

Soon afterwards Fraetes joined us and the waiting time began.

I can’t really say that it took long – there was so much happening!

Miller and “Breakdancing Roadie” working on stage for example!

3865391667_b180ac71ac_o.jpg

I really have to go to bed now!!

The rest will have to come tomorrow...

SueDeNimes, your posts are awesome! How lucky you were to be at this show! SOOO jealous. But so happy for those of you who experienced it and can relay that to the rest of us. :) By the way, Kris is such an absolutely hysterical idea! Like the Coldplay-shaped puppets! hahah Love it. :)

Okay, here is a short review how I got Chris' shirt. Months ago I joked with TickingClock about a banner for my concerts.We had stupid ideas like "Chocolate or bondage?" and such things ...

Finally, I ordered a banner on the Internet with "Chris, please let's make a deal - you give me your shirt and I give you some chocolate?!"

I didn't really believe that he would give me his shirt, but I found the text well and "If you never try you'll never know"

Yesterday I managed to exist in the first row and stood next to Chris Piano.

And as he sat down and began to play"Clocks", I held up my banner. He saw it, stopped short, read it again, looked at me and nodded briefly.

I thought "Okay, he has seen it and now?"

At the end of the concert, when all four guys came forward, I held it up again. Chris looked at me again and nodded again.

The guys then came back to play the encore and I saw Chris was wearing no shirt under his jacket (the jacket was buttoned).

Chris sat down at the piano and told about LRLRL and suddenly I saw Phil running at me. He held something in his hand, remained in front of me and said, "That's from Chris for you" and gave me the shirt.

I must have looked stunned at the moment. I said to Phil "OMG, thank you and that's for Chris," and quickly gave him the chocolate.

I held the shirt pressed close to me. The band began to play, and Chris looked at me again to see if I got the shirt. I beamed at him and screamed as loud as I could, "Thank You!" He grinned at me and sorry, at least since the moment I was definitely dead...

Thank you for the review!!!!!

That is the most incredible story I've ever heard!!!

It is truly UNBELIEVABLE!

Chris really is be the nicest guy of the world :)

Good morning!!! (YAWN)

The postman woke me some time ago and delivered my shirts from cafepress...

Don't know if I'm happy about that - I wouldn't have minded to sleep a little longer TBH.

Anyways, I can as well continue now!

Soon the Kilians came on stage. K. saw them before and said they were good.

How right she was!!!!

The singer told us that 6 years ago he went to his first concert – and that was Coldplay here in Düsseldorf!

How amazing must that be?

Opening for the band you once saw from the “other side”!

He even said that he knows that you actually don’t want to see the opening bands but that he hoped that we like them.

I surely did and it was the general opinion that they’re a good band.

Here are some pics:

3866177602_66062251bc_o.jpg

3866178022_223a6c5b78_o.jpg

3865392301_4b12285cd9_o.jpg

Next were the Howling Bells.

I won’t say much about them – I was glad when it was over.

The box standing in front of us said “ColdPlay”… who was writing that?? :lol:

3866178960_1ec2d59a00.jpg

3866178490_85883eb989.jpg

@ Sue de Nimes

I can't wait for your review of the concert...

Glad that there are so many Videos on YouTube available, my videos are crap.

That's just another reason why Politik is my favourite song - such an amazing Live-Song - I only hated the claps during the piano part in the middle...nobody knew the best song Coldplay ever made....

Listen to the amazing piano part at the end - I love Chris for that :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhysQQdRAk]YouTube - 26 Coldplay Live in Düsseldorf 27 08 09 Politik mit Übergang Wahnsinn!!![/ame]

Yeah, thanks for this report from Rheinische Post.

I have been to Dusseldorf. It was my first concert from Coldplay, even though I am a fan since A Rush of Blood to the Head. The concert really came up to my expectations. Live, they are even better!

But I have a question, and I hope someone has an answer for me.

During the time before Coldplay playing, there was some, I'd call it, chill out music.

Does someone know, what kind of music it was?

I would be really happy if someone could tell me.