✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2-Jul-2009: Main Square Festival, France - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

426.jpg

Roadie #42 - Blog #89

July 3, 2009 11:59 pm

#42 finds festivals a bit of a pain in the Arras

So then, festival season is upon us once again. Roadies tend to look forward to festivals like school-kids look forward to exams. A tour like this is a very long-term experience where all of the challenges and snags get worked out and smoothed over with time. Festivals mean taking that huge intricate show that requires a full day to construct normally and trying to bang it together at high speed (good name for a song that...).

Nobody likes a whiner, so I won't give you a shopping list of complaint. Suffice to say though, that I'm sure the crowds are having the better time here...

Arras is a beautiful setting for a show. A grand old town square in Northern France. The sun slowly disappears behind the rooftops and the windows around the square flicker into light, silhouetting those on the balconies with the best seats in the house.

It's a very warm night indeed and the French crowd are going utterly berserk well before Coldplay take the stage. The Ting Tings get a riotous reception and as our showtime approaches, they're Mexican waving, cheering and singing Viva the whole time.

As I'm writing this in Belgium the following day, The Killers are finishing up their set on the stage behind me. This means I should be busy in my other role, fretting over cables and buttons. I'll have to leave you here and just say it was a top night and hopefully we have another to follow tonight. Here's a wee clip of Chris dropping a little Michael Jackson tribute into the end of The Hardest Part.

<object width="400" height="270"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5442574&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5442574&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="270"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/5442574">Arras</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/coldplayyalpdloc">Coldplay</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

R#42

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=433

Awww Anna it was so great to meet you too ! :hug:

And... yes I'd prefer a "see you soon" better than a "goodbye" :P

Rofl at your screams girls ! And Chris gave Mounira a high-five too !

I promise you, I'll write my review and post my pics/vids tomorrow !

Edit : Aww nice video ! It was very moving when Chris sang Billie Jean during the Hardest Part...

Uh uh ... Camille is definitely asking for divorce my dear Miller :P

Guest LiquidSky
Part 4c:

Ok, so after Lost! they all went to the C-stage!!!!

They were far away apparently but the atmosphere was indescribable... beyond description.

That big place, all the colourful lights, people in the windows, the heat...

I can't find words to describe it. Probably "romantic" and "perfect" comes close.

Chris tried to sing in French and had to laugh at the same time, it was adorable!

Carla took a video, from what I could see in her display it must be awesome.

All songs were perfect for the C-stage, Green Eyes made me melt... SIGH!

I'm sure others will find better words to describe, I can't translate the emotions to written words, if you could see my eyes and my smile you'd come closer to it I think...

So shortly before they finished we already saw the torch in the gap between us and the stage, I thought "Ok, so they'll go backstage now... maybe to the right? Means past us. As the man came from our side.

AND SO IT WAS!!!

I touched Chris and Jonny gave me a high-five!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Camille touched Jonny as well, Chavi Chris and Jonny like me, the others have to tell themselves as I don't know.

When they came back they started with Politik, that stroboscope light was immense!

I'm not a big fan of "Politik" but seeing and hearing it live is another thing.

Chris was humping like a madman :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3: :heart:

When it started to rain at the beginning some roadies came running and covered the butterfly bombs with plastic bags...

Now guess who came to check himself if everything is alright with the bombs before LIJ??

PHIL!!!

3685142550_7c23129f67_o.jpg

3684331711_c623c6bddb_o.jpg

(I didn't want to use the flash there, sorry for the blurriness again)

For the Chris lovers I can promise a great close-up video of the Scientist and LIT II (with turns to Jonny, Guy and Will).

3685149060_3771eac2e3_o.jpg

The end came too sudden, as always.

Why do all good things come to an end?? :)

We got something to drink and eat at the bar, had a quick chat and then Carla and Chavi went with me to the hotel to make themselves fresh for the journey to Rock Werchter Festival straight afterwards.

I took a shower (SOOOOOOO GREAT!!!) and went back to the Grand'Place.

I wanted to buy a shirt from the festival but they had just closed it and I could just take a look at the sizes.

Camille (you're the best) bought one for me today but I'll tell about today later in that post.

While I was there I went back to the side of the stage where the roadies were loading the trucks.

They are sooooo nice!!

I was getting so melancholic seeing them removing the stuff.

Same trucks than we saw after War Child... :bigcry: and :) at the same time!

I repeat - it's all a blur as it was so fantastic, so this is how the conversation was more or less:

I talked to them and they said "Why don't you go to bed?" and I replied "It was so amazing, I can't go to sleep straight away after that day!"

Roadie: "So you're a big Coldplay fan?"

Me: "Of course!" :D

He then asked me where I'm from, he didn't know so I said "You've probably been to Strasbourg at the concert last September? It's close to there"

He said he was and I said I was too :lol:

He asked if I've been to other concerts before and when I said War Child he yelled to another Roadie "Hey, she's been at the War Child Gig!!"

So then there were two roadies talking to me haha!!

I got a guitar pick!!!

They said there were only 1000 made and they have about 200 of them left, so they would be special :)

Then we talked about Düsseldorf in August and Wembley - I mentioned the coldplaying meet-up :P

So now I have some roadies to look out for in Düsseldorf, see if they can remember the conversation then!

They can barely sleep this weekend... poor guys.

Wished them a nice trip and said we love them and appreciate their hard work to make it all happen.

Then I was strolling around the place, I texted Camille before and she said she left already so I didn't expect to meet the others!!

But I did!

We spent some time at the place and walked another round, this is me (the exhausted version) and Guillaume:

3684339257_b4a8578f4d_o.jpg

On the way back to my hotel / their bus to the camping area:

3685151016_881de5b37c_o.jpg

To cut a long story short I forgot my hay fever tablet and woke up at 7am, took a walk through town, had a coffee, went to an internet cafe and met Perrine at 11am we met the others who were still in town again.

Cha and Camille were already queuing again so we sat down with them.

Nothing compared to the day before: Only one queue instead of two, about 20-30 people at 1pm!!

AND:

I asked in about 5 shops I think if I can have a poster - finally this kebap place gave me one!!! :dance:

3684305055_67b7d13fca_o.jpg

The earrings are my lucky earrings since War Child, I'll wear them for every concert now :lol:

And the fan had such an important role yesterday that I thought it deserves to be in hte pic as well.

PS: That keyboard in the internet cafe made it impossible to type:

3685152658_2017ec50c5.jpg?v=0

Almost nothing at the usual place! Anybody seen such keyboards before??

Where you have to press shift to type a dot etc??

Perrine it was great finally meeting you and I'll be forever grateful that you took me with you to Arras. :hug: :kiss:

We'll talk later, love!!

And thanks to everybody as well of course, coldplaying members are the best and it wouldn't have been nearly close as amazing as it was without you...

I wouldn't have been there without the forum so a big thanks to Ian and Jen and every single member! Love you all :heart:

So far for my speech, I better stop before I start crying and exceed the letter limit :laugh3:

Now it's getting close to midnight and I have to make two presentations on Mon and Wed and I haven't checked the new posts yet :P

Oh my priorities aren't the best uni-wise but I'll have a look at what you did since Wednesday now...

The videos I promised will have to wait until tomorrow.

IT WAS A PERFECT DAY.

wow! you guys had an awesome time! Chris does humps like a madman..almost every night haha:laugh3: Phil is such a cutie...so nice.

Your Jonny pictures came out awesome, thanks for sharing! Hugs to you too sweetie! :hug:

PS: sad smilie face keyboard.. It knows it's wrong! :laugh3::(

Brilliant reviews Anna and gorgeous photos, can't wait to look at all your videos too.

I'm so glad you all had a wonderful time and survived the heat etc intact.

:kiss:

Hi Carol!!! :kiss:

Oh, totally forgot today's newspaper:

(Clickies)

3685913476_3028f1e82b_m.jpg

3685914232_ae35642f7d_m.jpg

3685106267_cf8fddf46e_m.jpg

3685912544_35f2d6f0f7_m.jpg

Perrine and Camille's hand :)

3685933328_895698ffdd_m.jpg

3685932824_e996794926_m.jpg

Here my videos of the Coldplay show in Arras, some of them are already in the first page, but i've uploaded others recently :

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

That was so bloody UN-BELIEV-ABLE !!! i was with Tibujoli and we met some so nice people from Arras. We spent such an evening that we will remember for ever !

We managed to get THE perfect location accross the central line just before the stage. At the beginning we were afraid of being a little bit misplaced and then went the opportunity to stand almost on the first row just in front of every single thing that happened on the stage. And that was stupendous and i think we are not able to find the words to express what we experienced.

They moved a lot, and made everyone happy in the "Grand' Place" in being everywhere. And they so surprised us : first went a little impro on "the hardest part" with the melody of Billie Jean. Then with many funny parts where Chris wanted to show that his French had improved (indeed he even tried to sing in French, and that was lovely).

And then comes the "showing off" part :)

They moved between stages through the central line and we handed Chris a Tee-shirt. He kind of stopped at our position and took the Tee-shirt, touched our hands looking us in the eyes. Being less than 2 feet from them and especially from Chris, was quite astonishing.

Well despite the waiting and the rain (during the first part of the gig) that was really really good.

ps: i don't think that glass of water was played last nite ;)

Good review ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJODKTz7rA]YouTube - Coldplay Main Square Festival, Coming Back From The C-Stage[/ame]

I just came back from Arras and it feels like it was my first Coldplay show all over again... I came to the 'venue' at 11 am with my BFF and there was already lots of people but luckily we end up 2nd row, right behind some famous coldplayers like Khalplay, Chabuckland, Carla and Chavi (am I right ?), they made a beautiful banner I must say ^^

Anyway it was so hot in there, but I was worth the wait (and the sunburns!). We got to have a sneek peak at Miller and Phil, he smiled while he passed us by, he was so damn cute !!

Then we heard the Blue Danube and here came the band ! Chris was running up and down the stage as usual :)

Then came THE moment. It was maybe the 3rd or 4th song, the notes of Yellow were floating in the air with the big yellow balloons and the rain started pouring ! It was unexpexted, but yet so beautiful ! We just kept singing louder and louder, no matter what. There was such a strong and positive energy in the crowd, I understood at that moment what Chris said that we are the best fans in the world ;) The guys seemed happy to see that nothing would stop us, so they clapped their hands to thank us at the end of the song (Chris wasn't affraid to get all wet by the rain either! ). The rain kept coming while Fix you was being played, I have to say that it brought tears to my eyes, not because I was sad, but because this was SUCH A PERFECT DAY, I was with my loved ones, I met new cool coldplayers and we were all there for the same thing, I mean that's the real deal. I really loved as usual Politik and Clocks with the laser effects- it gets me every time ! Gotta love too when our Will was singing on the C-stage, I didnt even have to see him to hear the smile in his voice, *melt*. When they came back from the C-stage they came right in front of us, I was really shocked (still now!). I think it's the closer I will ever get to them so I was pretty happy with that ahah ! I have to say even closer, Guy is perfection :D

Chris spoke to us several times in French, made some jokes- they may have been tired with jetlag but they were upbeat and seemed glad to be here !

When Lovers in Japan began, we had our flying butterflies too (I was quite surprise because since it's a festival we thought that it would be different), it was still magical (and of course I kept my bag wide open so I could get tons of them !).

They end up with Life In Technicolor 2, and then left the stage. The rain had stopped and we just felt the bliss- Tonight we had been a part of it.

I'm uploading some of my pictures right now :)

here is all I could get:

th_DSC00354.jpg

th_DSC00397.jpg

th_DSC00405.jpg

th_DSC00414.jpg

th_DSC00353.jpg

th_DSC00356.jpg

They're AMAZING!!!

Thanks so much!! :kiss:

The French :heart:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc9qHg5h5z0]YouTube - Coldplay Main Square Festival d'Arras Death will never conquer[/ame]

I can't stop watching youtube videos!!!

So many great ones! :stunned:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loHbiHCTCmg]YouTube - Main Square - Coldplay[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyAJ_Ch5Ym0]YouTube - Main Square - Coldplay[/ame]

Yep...all the best ones are in the first post :)

You do a fabulous job collecting them, but I can't stop watching, clicking myself from related video to related video...

The Ting Tings were so great! I'll play "Great DJ" on repeat for the next days I think :)