✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

25-Jul-09: Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlist

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East Troy — A rock show in an arena setting can be a depersonalizing experience only a few levels below that of taking off one's shoes before passing through an airport security checkpoint.

The beer costs too much in both cases.

Saturday night at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, Coldplay tried to re-personalize the experience.

The quartet drew more than 30,000 people, and its music had the grandeur-embracing sincerity of early U2.

Lead singer and pianist Chris Martin exhibited the characteristics of an intelligent frontman: a voice to make the heart swoon, energy to burn and self-deprecating charisma.

Guitarist Jon Buckland owed some of his serrated clarity to The Edge (U2's axman, natch), but he took it toward English countrysides ("Strawberry Swing") and funereal bleakness ("Cemeteries of London").

Drummer Will Champion provided a strong backing voice plus some extra charisma. With bassist Guy Berryman - who was, typically for that position, a nearly silent type - he nailed rhythms ranging from the modern syncopation of "Lost!" to the orchestral majesty of "Viva La Vida."

Those two songs, from the 2008 album also called "Viva La Vida," demonstrated Coldplay's expansion of its musical ambitions.

If an earlier song like "Clocks" was accessible for sheer drive and tunefulness, then a more recent number like "42" spread its accessibility across a massive shift from ruminative, fragile ballad to a rocker that brandished riffs like buzz-saws sparking off silver.

The show had plenty of big visual sparks to match the electricity of the music: Screens displayed kinetic, stylized transmissions of the performance, while during "Lovers in Japan," confetti actually shot out from the sides of the stage as if KISS had been consulted.

But even there, Coldplay paid attention to the fine details: Those pieces of confetti were shaped like leaves, and for a brisk version of the sweet hit "Yellow," assistants floated large yellow balloons into the crowd until the reserved section was a happy chaos of "follow the bouncing ball(s)."

Best of all, though, were those moments when Coldplay hiked to a pair of mini-stages - and they really were tiny - closer to the middle of the crowd.

Huddled together on those platforms like an indie-rock band in a dive bar, the members of Coldplay personalized not just the arena experience but also themselves.

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/51743407.html

Shaped like LEAVES?

Well, here is a link to my photos from my flickr album: Coldplay in Alpine Valley (072509) Viva La Vida Tour

We were on the lawn, right up against the rails on the left side in front of this fenced-off area that one of the Live Nation "crowd control" people told us would be the stage © that the band would come out and play on. I was counting down to Viva La Vida, I see Will running down the pathway, but they keep going the other way. Well, the Live Nation girl was obviously wrong, because the C stage ended up being in the middle of the lawn. The whole crowd on the lawn moved toward them as soon as they started to play Green Eyes. It was the closest I got to Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy - still cool.

A lot of my pictures are shots taken of the screen, but there are a few good ones. I have a few shots which show the entire stage, as well.

As you've read on earlier posts, the crowd was totally into it - everyone was singing along, dancing ... it really gave the boys the energy they needed. It was SO MUCH better than the United Center concert I attended last July. I can't wait to Paris!

It was nice to meet Angie and Lori earlier in the day, too.

Well, here is a link to my photos from my flickr album: Coldplay in Alpine Valley (072509) Viva La Vida Tour

We were on the lawn, right up against the rails on the left side in front of this fenced-off area that one of the Live Nation "crowd control" people told us would be the stage © that the band would come out and play on. I was counting down to Viva La Vida, I see Will running down the pathway, but they keep going the other way. Well, the Live Nation girl was obviously wrong, because the C stage ended up being in the middle of the lawn. The whole crowd on the lawn moved toward them as soon as they started to play Green Eyes. It was the closest I got to Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy - still cool.

A lot of my pictures are shots taken of the screen, but there are a few good ones. I have a few shots which show the entire stage, as well.

As you've read on earlier posts, the crowd was totally into it - everyone was singing along, dancing ... it really gave the boys the energy they needed. It was SO MUCH better than the United Center concert I attended last July. I can't wait to Paris!

It was nice to meet Angie and Lori earlier in the day, too.

I know it was weird. I couldn't even see where they were because the sound booth was blocking my view but we saw everyone go running. I'm guessing you all got soaked during the down pour.

I know it was weird. I couldn't even see where they were because the sound booth was blocking my view but we saw everyone go running. I'm guessing you all got soaked during the down pour.

Luckily, we had two blankets with us, so we just wrapped them over our backs and heads. At least it only rained a little while.