✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

30-Jul-09: Rogers Centre, Toronto, ON - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/Videos

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay Don't Need Experimenting

3.5.gif

It's been over a year since Coldplay released Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends. They've toured it endlessly and tirelessly since, and returned to Toronto for the second time in a year (they played Toronto's Air Canada Centre on the same day last year) on Thursday night to play one more time before they take a break and begin thinking about their next record.

First, the crowd were treated to the sounds of Kitty, Daisy & Lewis, an R&B trio of '50s sensibilities. Their skiffle and early rock 'n' roll sounds were a bit out of place on a bill that featured bands that play atmospheric pop rock, but it was refreshing nonetheless, especially their covers of Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" and Canned Heat's "Goin' Up The Country."

Elbow's Coldplay soundalike mopey pop was a jarring contrast. On record, Elbow are positively snoozeworthy, but live they're more explosive. Their set was entirely comprised of songs from last year's Mercury Music Prize-winning The Seldom Seen Kid. Then again, anything can sound explosive in a stadium with a sound system that's designed for 50,000 people. Oh, Manchester, so much to answer for…

When Coldplay took the stage, it seemed as if the audience was in for a repeat of last year's gig at the Air Canada Centre. The band began their set behind the same translucent black screen and played the exact same four songs they began with at that gig. An "uh-oh" moment was had when Chris Martin seemed to be having trouble hitting the notes on "Violet Hill" and had to sing much lower than he does on record.

Calling Coldplay competent performers is a moot point — it's a tired cliché, but they're the world's biggest band now, so performing has become pretty effortless for them. The songs from Viva La Vida sounded much better than last time they were here, and they've clearly have become accustomed to performing them.

But there's often the danger of becoming a little too comfortable. Martin at times seemed a caricature of himself, and even flew through the air behind guitarist Jonny Buckland on one of the stage's wings during "In My Place" — just as he had last time. Fortunately, Martin and company are so damn earnest that it will never come across as completely disingenuous or rehearsed, even if it kind of looks that way.

Thankfully, the setlist became different when the first chords of "Yellow" rang out. "Glass Of Water" from the Prospekt's March EP also helped change things up.

By "42" it became very clear that Coldplay's attempts at "experimentation" on Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends don't exactly translate the best live. Martin attempted three times to get the crowd to sing along to the chorus, and they weren't having it. Hilariously, the roof nearly came off the Rogers Centre when Coldplay launched into "Fix You" next.

Luckily, Coldplay knew enough to leave "Yes," the dreadful, seven-minute Velvet Underground and My Bloody Valentine soundalike (half of it is a hidden track dubbed "Chinese Sleep Chant") out of the mix this time. Unfortunately, they once again ruined "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" by changing the key and adding horrible electronic drums and distorted, tremoloed guitar onto it, just as they did last year. The crowd's response wasn't all that enthusiastic.

From there, it was onto "Viva La Vida." It's also probably telling that this track, Coldplay's biggest hit to date, and their most straightforward song on the album, got the loudest singalong of the night.

This handily demonstrated that Coldplay are at their best when they don't try to play at being something they're not and stick to what they're known for: writing anthemic pop songs and arena rock with great hooks. The Joe Satriani business aside, "Viva La Vida" is a truly great song because it keeps things simple: the hook is one word — "Waaaa-ohhhh" — and it doesn't try and sound like a poor version of Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine or anything else the guys drool over in their record collections.

Martin went on record last year as saying Coldplay purposely attempted to write songs that sounded like the aforementioned bands. Experimentation is all well and good, but it should come naturally. When you attempt to sound like someone else, it comes across as stilted. Maybe that's why "Viva La Vida" will always get a bigger singalong than "42."

Martin repeatedly stated throughout the rest of the set this would be Coldplay's last show in Toronto for "a few years." Presumably, they'll take some time off and then begin working on their fifth album.

At this point, Coldplay are like the child in second grade that tries really hard to be like the cool kid and always falls short and gets mocked because they're a little bit different. Hopefully Martin and company will realize that their fans don't need — or want — them to be U2, Radiohead or anyone else.

http://www.chartattack.com

At this point, Coldplay are like the child in second grade that tries really hard to be like the cool kid and always falls short and gets mocked because they're a little bit different. Hopefully Martin and company will realize that their fans don't need — or want — them to be U2, Radiohead or anyone else.

http://www.chartattack.com

Amen to that :heart:

My first video and the only video I've uploaded so far - I just set up an account and it's four thirty in the morning so the rest to follow sometime soon :P

ALSO: 3 seconds in = CHRIS eye contact!! Enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbMEMs4PYo]YouTube - In My Place [HQ] Coldplay @Rogers Ctr, Toronto - July 30/09[/ame]

WOW, what an amazing experience!

I didn't get in the line up til around 4:00. But I was there when security tried to put the second line back into ours. I was about 5 people back from "the purple girls" and was part of the pack hollering to make sure they cut the line in the right spot.

I was luck enough to get a pretty good spot in front with only two people between me and the stage!!! I think I was in shock the whole time...I kept thinking "I can't believe Coldplay is right there in front of me!" LOL The music was superb and the pit atmosphere was great! I also liked how the pit sang happy birthday to Will and he acknowledged us before Chris had the whole arena sing.

The only bad part of my experience was that I got stupid and totally forgot about the LeftRightLeftRightLeft cd! DOH. It was taking forever to get out and my back and feet were sore from standing for soooo long that I ditched the line and went out a back door. It wasn't until I got back to my hotel that I remembered! Of course I downloaded the album from their website ages ago. But I was still looking forward to having the actual hard copy.

But other than that the whole experience was beyond words! I am now off to set up a you tube and photo bucket account so I can share!

Thanks everyone for all the pics and videos. It's great to see other points of view and angles of the show.

Last night was amazing

Took the night from Montreal to Toronto. The guy sitting next to me wouldn’t stop talking to me. It was like 3 in the morning on a crowded bus…shut up. I arrived in Toronto at 6:30, checked I, had a shower and went for lunch with a friend. I was arrived at the venue around 12:30.There were a few people there already so I waited in the line with them. I was on my own because my friends are going to the Montreal concert (which I originally couldn’t attend but now can). We waited for hours under the sun. I got I nice tan but still it was HOT.

Then there were problems with the gates because security decided to divide the line and let people in who hadn’t been waiting for long at the same at those who had been waiting for hours. After 2 hours of demands etc we were ultimately allowed in first. Guess we might have made a few people angry but we had been waiting for 5 hours :D I walked (really fast) to the pit and got first row, Guy’s side. Exactly what I wanted. The security guys were funny and talkative (except for one guy who looked a little lost)

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis were good. The boy is SUPER young, he looks 16 but he can play so many instruments

Elbow were BRILLIANT! Seriously great. I wish they had played longer. I’m seeing them tonight again, this time longer because it’s a festival.

They started setting up for Coldplay so I saw Vicky, Franksy, Miller and the rest of the crew. The Dancing Roadie was hilarious. Crazy moves on the ramp. The Security guys were laughing. They weren’t expecting it and I think they first thought that it was someone from the audience who had jumped on stage. The bad thing was that the camera man stood in front of me so I had perfect view on Guy and Will (Will most of the time) but couldn’t see much of Jonny. Thankfully Chris moves a lot so he was no problem but the cameraman was too tall.

When Coldplay came on, the stadium (50,000 people I think) went ballistic. Chris was impressed by the number of people. The crowd was fantastic! Really good sing-alongs. In my section, people knew all the words so that was great. We also tried to sing happy birthday to Will several times.

Guy was on high form. He smiled and laughed A LOT (on a Guy scale)!! During “Yellow” a lot of balloons came in stage and he couldn’t stop laughing. He looked happy throughout and seemed impressed by the venue cause he was looking at the roof. The roof is REALLY high so it did look great with the lasers and butterflies.

Glass of Water is brilliant life. Everybody knew the words in the pit. Will goes CRAZY on the drums.

42 and Fix You were amazing. Very good sing-along during Fix You.

Before the Hardest Part Chris went on about his hair and hairdressers being on strike in Toronto. He dedicated the song to someone named Seth. Some of us were trying to turn around to look at Will. I love his singing on that song. Guy was sitting next to him.

Viva La Vida was brilliant, of course. The “oooooh” chant went on for a while and sounded amazing. Will beat the hell out of the bell and drum.DOn't know how that thing resists his wrath.

"Lost!" was very energetic although when Chris threw the big drumstick in the air, it almost hit Guy.

Guy had some problems with his bass at one point but got it fixed quickly. Two songs later, can’t remember during which song, Chris came over to him and asked if he was okay. I guess he was referring to the bass.

The C stage was GREAT! The venue at the back and sides went mad when they realized what was happening. I loved Green Eyes and of course DWNC. Chris introduced Will as the scary yet lovely drummer. I love Jonny’s guitar on “Billie Jean.” Sounds fantastic. He played really well that night, even though the camera man was kind of hiding him from me. Oh well…

"Lovers in Japan" looked amazing with all the butterflies because the roof was so high do rained butterflies forever and Chris sand the last line several times

Before "The Scientist" Chris thanked the audience for being so great. He said something like “You’ll never know how much you’ve done for the band today” or something like that. I don’t know why. Maybe they had a tough day.

There was lots of backslapping during the bowing part. Chris slapped Guy in the back, I thought he was gonna knock him over :D (for those interested, Guy wearing bright blue undies). Guy is the skinny, you never know (actually when you see him he is not too skinny but he did have to straighten his jeans a few times)

We sang Happy Birthday to Will and Phil brought out a cake. Guy and Chris were singing on the top of their lungs. Again, I couldn’t really see Jonny. He was already having a beer anyway. Guy cracked up at Chris “It’s Will’s birthday...in England at least” joke (I tell, Guy was in a really good mood ;) I think he was already partying for Will’s birthday). It was great to see Phil. Will looked hilarious with his cake and balloons. Chris described Will as the rock and diamond of the band and gave him a hug, Will went in for another one and told him something (these two, you never know between them)Then he gave Jonny and Guy a hug. Cute moment :D

I’d never heard Lit ii live and I love it. It’s great song to show the show on.

Anyways, it was a mind-blowingly good show. I think even better than the one last year. Can’t wait see them again tonight in Montreal.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything

Now for some pics:

coldplay091b.jpg

coldplay098b.jpg

coldplay100-1.jpg

coldplay063.jpg

coldplay106.jpg

coldplay111b.jpg

coldplay115.jpg

coldplay119.jpg

coldplay125b.jpg

I couldn't get very many good pictures of Jonny 'cause I was too far away, and the one time I did get a good shot he moved last minute so all I got was his shoulder. :cry:

There's a reason Coldplay is in the big leagues

In many ways, the world of pop music is akin to the world of professional sports. One invariably starts at the bottom (the minors) and works one's way slowly to the Big Leagues (the exceptions jump the queue via shows such as American Idol ). Thursday night's triptych at the Rogers Centre offered a classic example of three bands at different levels on the ladder, bottom to top, writes The Globe and Mail.

I purposely arrived early to catch the relatively unknown rookies Kitty, Daisy & Lewis, a trio of young London, England, siblings whose influences include vintage 78 rpm records and classic fifties rock 'n' roll, rockabilly and blues. Integrating standup bass, barrelhouse piano and laptop guitar into the mix, the group (which is rounded out by Mum and Dad on guitar and bass) covers the likes of Johnny Horton ( Mean Son of a Gun ), Louis Jordan ( Ooo-Wee ) and Canned Heat ( Going Up the Country ), making them a kind of present-day version of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. It was good fun, but would have worked far better in an intimate club setting than in that cavernous, still-filling stadium. Quirky, but destined for anonymity in the minors.

Second-billed Elbow gives every indication of an act ready to break into the Big Leagues worldwide (in Britain the band's pretty much already there). This earnest and unpretentious quintet from Manchester is at the forefront of a movement to bring 1970s-style prog rock back to the mainstream.

Led by humble and appreciative lead singer Guy Garvey, echoes of Peter Gabriel-era Genesis reverberated throughout the short but intriguing performance. Layering later-period Gabriel, world-beat rhythms, classically inspired keyboards and skittish Robert Fripp-styled guitars behind Garvey's very British and understated vocals, Elbow picked up where Genesis apologists Marillion left off. An unlikely choice for Coldplay's lead-in, but intriguing.

Internet chatter would have it that London-based Coldplay has eclipsed U2 as the biggest band in the world right now. I don't really think so, but don't try and tell that to the 45,000 fans in attendance Thursday, who sung along joyously to nearly every song in the band's generous two-hour-plus set.

Comprising “three really shy people and one idiot” (the latter, presumably, being affable and charismatic lead singer Chris Martin), Coldplay gave a remarkable performance that illustrated that this Grammy-winning band has mastered the art of arena rock. The massive performance had everything, including every song a Coldplay fan could have wanted to hear and then some. Backed by five large screens, the performance was actually played out on a simple stage set that let the music (and Martin) do the talking.

But the show was cleverly structured so that attention never waned. On breakthrough hit Yellow , hundreds of large yellow balloons floated down from the rafters. Late-set number Lovers in Japan featured another storm, this of confetti. Lasers and video clips were inserted, but sparingly. A highlight came when the quartet ventured down to a smaller stage mid-arena to perform a short acoustic set which included a tribute to Michael Jackson ( Billie Jean ).

Martin himself has grown into an incredibly warm and vivacious front man who never stops smiling and totally connects with his audience. Inviting sing-alongs (“consider this your Canadian Idol audition”), Martin probably got more than he intended when the audience simply would not stop chanting the chorus to the massive hit Viva La Vida . Ultimately the band had to drown them out simply by starting its next number, Lost .

During the encore, Martin suggested that the band probably would not be back in Toronto “for a couple of years.” All good and well, then, that we got to see the quartet at what is probably the height of its fame and power, in an arena-rock spectacle that was just about as good as it gets.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

Concert Review: Elbow and Coldplay, July 30, Toronto

It was a rare alchemy that made last night's concert at the mammoth Rogers Centre a ticket to good to pass up as Elbow, the Mercury Prize-winning British critical darlings, and Coldplay, the Grammy-winning heir to the title of "world biggest band" joined forces in Toronto.

Before the big bands, the night was begun by the young British rockabilly trio Kitty Daisy & Lewis, who were hand selected by Coldplay's Chris Martin for the tour. Playing on the massive stage, the group - fronted by a trio of teenage siblings - did their best to warm up the slowly filing-in crowd. The reception was polite, if not quizzical.

As Elbow readied to take the stage, three massive video screen behind the stage turned on, and it was clear that the production level was about to go up a notch. Elbow is smart-rock: big, epic lullabies and devastatingly-orchestrated complex Mancunian rock set to Guy Garvey's biting lyrics. One could only wonder how all that would translate to the caverns of the Rogers Centre.

Starting off with Starling, the first track from their Mercury-winning album Seldom Seen Kid, singer Garvey lifted a trumpet and helped blast out the opening staccatos of the song before taking the mic. The band confidently whipped through a too-short set featuring songs such as Everything Has Changed (introduced by Garvey with: "This song is about the day after falling in love. Which I highly recommend if you've never tried it."), the chant-inducing Station Approach (a "song about our hometown, but you can borrow it whenever you like"), at full stride during Ground For Divorce and the lovely closer "One Day Like This".

The mix was perfect, allowing the stadium to swell with Garvey's warm voice. There were indeed only two things wrong with their set: a bit of audience indifference and the notion that it should have run a full hour longer. This was an opening act, but swap Toronto for anywhere in the UK, and Elbow could have filled the arena themselves.

But this arena was full for the main act. Coldplay has been functioning as the heir apparent to U2 ever since their first world tour, although, that seems to suit Chris Martin and company just fine. With each tour they hone their show, upping the spectacle and stage presence.

After hyping up the crowd with a combination of U2's Magnificent, Jay-Z's I Just Wanna Love You, and Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz (presumably a salute to Coldplay's friends and influences), the lights lowered, the trio of screens fired back up, and a large giant orb descended from the roof of the arena.

In darkness, the band – Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman – took the stage and opened with the instrumental "Life in Technicolour" and by the time they started the first verse of Violet Hill, the audience was singing along.

After asking for some lights, Martin surveyed the almost 50,000 strong and remarked "that's a lot of people" before launching into In My Place.

The band has clearly perfected the routine of the tour, now into its second year. With the opening chords of their first-ever hit, Yellow, a hundred or so giant yellow balloons were tossed and dropped into the crowd. As the song progressed, Martin encouraged some crowd interaction, asking everyone to sing along "even if you are here because of your girlfriend".

After a few songs from last year's Grammy-winning Viva La Vida, the quartet played the mesmerizing 49. And it was here where it was clear just how orchestrated the video team was. With the songs quiet piano opening, the screens displayed Martin singing in black and white with dramatic filters, and through a pin-hole camera effect. As the song exploded, the edits become chopping, then transitioned into full colour. The unsung video team acted from then on like an invisible band member - adding another layer to the show.

In the first stage shift of the night, all four members came to the stage-left extension for sped-up, self-remixed and slightly sinister versions of God Put a Smile Upon Your Face and Talk.

Martin then cued the "Michael Bolton" segment of the show, where he joked about his need for a haircut and thanked the audience for coming through the traffic and the garbage to see them play before launching into Hardest Part and then bringing the crowd to frenzy with the thundering Viva la Vida and Lost!.

As the song wrapped, a sudden tide of movement down the aisles and from security towards a wooden platform near the bottom of the field below my seat in section 130. Then it immediately made sense as the band sprinted off stage and ran through a secured field- level aisle and onto the platform.

From there, they played a few acoustic songs, pleasing the fans on one side of the stadium, whilst making several others envious. Drummer Will Champion took the mic from Martin for a version of Death Will Not Conquer. That was then followed by the band's oft-criticized recent addition: a cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.

After the interactive dalliance, the band returned to the main stage under cover of a Viva La Vida recorded remix and the lovely Lovers in Japan as confetti canons poured multicolored paper butterflies over the ground level crowd.

Ending with Death and All His Friends, Martin returned and thanked the crowd for "giving us our job" and followed that with the cryptic: "you guys will never know how important this day was for us as a band". The encore then featured The Scientist – and then a birthday interlude featuring cake and a massive sing-along for Will Champion's 31st birthday – before closing with The Escapist.

Overall, Coldplay was a pleasant surprise. Since the last time I saw them they've become darker, their live show more fluid: measured but with a sense of spontaneity. Martin, while still a self-effacing jokester, has become less of a sensitive singer/songwriter and more of showman, while avoiding becoming a barmy version of his old self. While Coldplay may not yet own U2's moniker of "biggest band in the world", they don't seem to be in a rush to grab it. And that's a good thing.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/07/31/concert-review-elbow-and-coldplay-july-30-toronto.aspx

Hi Marie,

so nice to see that you are safe and sound... few people were worried...lol... Anyway I see that you must have been really close to us the whole time. I was right behind the purple girls and my daughter was standing between them and the young boys. Aunie was to my left with her sister so were you the one with red hair with the girl with the green top? I didn't see anyone with the flags except for Aunie and myself and the purple girls.. (love that name...lol)

Yes it is nice to see that Marie is OK. Shame to have missed you. I was right up against the rail in the corner in front of Guy ... green hat white shirt. (right in front of the security guy who mostly sat for the whole show). cazmarttini ... you were right to my left then? We you the lady that gave me the flag? Thank you so much. I was beside the boys. There was a young girl there that had to be taken to the medic as she was looking like she was going to faint nearer the end?

I was concerned ...

Marie ... sorry I missed meeting you. Glad to hear everything went well. And thank you EVER so much for the ticket.

Jason

Quote:Originally Posted by
cazmartini;3296055

Hi Marie,

so nice to see that you are safe and sound... few people were worried...lol... Anyway I see that you must have been really close to us the whole time. I was right behind the purple girls and my daughter was standing between them and the young boys. Aunie was to my left with her sister so were you the one with red hair with the girl with the green top? I didn't see anyone with the flags except for Aunie and myself and the purple girls.. (love that name...lol)

Yes it is nice to see that Marie is OK. Shame to have missed you. I was right up against the rail in the corner in front of Guy ... green hat white shirt. (right in front of the security guy who mostly sat for the whole show). cazmarttini ... you were right to my left then? We you the lady that gave me the flag? Thank you so much. I was beside the boys. There was a young girl there that had to be taken to the medic as she was looking like she was going to faint nearer the end?

I was concerned ...

Marie ... sorry I missed meeting you. Glad to hear everything went well. And thank you EVER so much for the ticket.

Jason

Aaaaawww..I'm good guys.Alive.Sorry I missed you.Maybe I didn't....I was wearing a black dress :D the concert was awesome!!Best one yet I think

Hope you guys enjoyed the concert

The rest of my videos. :smug:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPh07pL-FU&feature=channel_page]Fix You[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuAFdKVhnE&feature=channel_page]Viva La Vida[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxWa22P2ZNE&feature=channel_page]The Cellphone Wave![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dHn5ynJqtw&feature=channel_page]Politik[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhL-mcF0GU&feature=channel_page]Lovers in Japan[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGCVDzx9pw&feature=channel_page]The Scientist[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QWCbE8WZw&feature=channel_page]Life in Technicolor II[/ame]