✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

07-Aug-09: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setli

Penny,

You won't be able to miss us. My girlfriend and I will be wearing the Yellow London Butterfly shirts. You should come up and say hello. That goes for all other fellow coldplayers who will be lining up early for the PIT. :D

I'm hoping we can all get together in line, get to know each other a bit, and get spots front and center of the pit and maybe save each others spots for the visits to the bathroom and beverage cart :)

Hey PGuild! I dont think Ive ever chatted with you on the board, but sounds like a good idea to get in line before the show. Let me know what you think?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey PGuild! I dont think Ive ever chatted with you on the board, but sounds like a good idea to get in line before the show. Let me know what you think?

I'm definitely down for it. Also, what is this VIP fast lane ticket? I just got an email from Live Nation about it. $5 and no wait. I wonder if they get in earlier? Any ideas?

I may purchase a couple. After all, I can spare $10.

Also, that email said parking starts at 4. How will this effect us trying to get there at 2 or 2:30.....

I'm definitely down for it. Also, what is this VIP fast lane ticket? I just got an email from Live Nation about it. $5 and no wait. I wonder if they get in earlier? Any ideas?

Also, that email said parking starts at 4. How will this effect us trying to get there at 2 or 2:30.....

NO WAY? we can buy those? Last time I got upgraded to VIP just becuase I was a Best Buy Reward Zone Member. And I got FRONT ROW! We have to buy these. thats chump change for first in line? Where do you buy them?

NO WAY? we can buy those? Last time I got upgraded to VIP just becuase I was a Best Buy Reward Zone Member. And I got FRONT ROW! We have to buy these. thats chump change for first in line? Where do you buy them?

I received an email with the links. If you believe we should buy them, then I will. I can forward you (and anyone else) the email. Just PM your address.

The $5 only includes the entrance. It's more if you want access to the Club and VIP parking.

I have a pit ticket as well. I have a long drive and am going to try to get there around 3. It'd be nice if they alerted everyone that parking started then... no idea what we're going to do either. :confused:

I received an email with the links. If you believe we should buy them, then I will. I can forward you (and anyone else) the email. Just PM your address.

The $5 only includes the entrance. It's more if you want access to the Club and VIP parking.

NEvermind, I found the link. Thanks for finding out about this!

I am now attending this show! I'm driving from Atlanta...I'm probably going to get there really early, b/c I have a PIT ticket, and want to be in the front row... Will anybody be in line around 2:30-3pm?

Yay for people coming from Atlanta!!!

anyone here in section 6? or near it?

Hey guys!

I would be more than happy to join a group to hold down some spots at the stage if I can make it in time!

gmalool - thanks for the info about the pit. Sounds like you only need to be there by 4pm when the gates open if you can get a fast lane pass - is that right?? Also, I am in Florence, SC.

Thunder

Ok, I'm still a bit confused about the Fast Lane pass.

I don't know if I need to get one or not because the whole point of getting one is being able to go through the gates first, right?

Well, I plan to get there right @ 4pm when parking becomes available. So if I'm one of the first in line, doesn't it defeat the purpose? Unless they open another door earlier than 5:30...can someone give me some advice? I'd really like to be upfront :)

Also, is parking free? I read that the parking fee is included in the ticket, but I could have read wrong....thanks

I don't know if I need to get one or not because the whole point of getting one is being able to go through the gates first, right?

Well, I plan to get there right @ 4pm when parking becomes available. So if I'm one of the first in line, doesn't it defeat the purpose? Unless they open another door earlier than 5:30...can someone give me some advice? I'd really like to be upfront :)

Also, is parking free? I read that the parking fee is included in the ticket, but I could have read wrong....thanks

The fast line is a different line that is connected to the VIP Lounge thing. Theres 20X fewer entrants in that line so thats why I bought them. theyre only 5 bucks a piece. But if you plan on getting there early then you should have no problem! Im about to hop in the car to head to raleigh for tonights show. So I will see you guys tommorow night

I saw where the FAST LANE part was answered. I still have not decided what to do. As for parking, it is free. If you buy VIP parking you get to be in a closer lot to the venue. Also, if you carpool w/ 4 or more people, go to the VIP lot and they will let you park adjacent to it.

I don't know whether to fork out the the $10 or not.. so confusing :inquisitive:

I think if we get there at 4 we should be okay. If not, maybe all us Coldplayers can band together and takeover the pit... haha

I agree. We should take over the PIT :sneaky: I'm still uncertain about purchasing the fast lane pass and just waiting in line in that entrance....

No magic recipe for Coldplay

663-coldplay0806.ART_G6UMEKNB.1+coldplay.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland of Coldplay perform in Jersey City, N.J. The band will play at Verizon Amphitheatre on Friday.

Band's hard work lands what few others acts have these days: staying power.

There's a lot of gloomy, end-of-times talk in the record business these days about the death of the industry. Fewer and fewer new acts break through every year, and the ones that do never seem to have any staying power.

But that paradigm doesn't apply to Coldplay, which plays Charlotte's Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre on Friday. At a time when “gold is the new platinum,” this British quartet still moves tonnage that recalls the industry's glory days. Last year's “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends” (Capitol Records), Coldplay's fourth album, has sold more than 8 million copies worldwide – easily the top-selling album of 2008.

Somehow, Coldplay has emerged as The Last Big Band, combining mainstream popularity with industry respect and widespread (though not unanimous) critical acclaim. Similar to Fleetwood Mac in the '70s, U2 in the '80s or R.E.M. in the '90s, Coldplay has become one of those omnipresent consensus bands whose lyrics get scribbled in yearbooks.

As to why that is, Coldplay's members are just as puzzled as anyone else.

“I know what you mean, there just aren't many bands that tour at our level these days,” says bassist Guy Berryman, calling from a tour stop in Houston. “I don't think we're the last one, but who knows when the next will be? The key to us is that we just work really, really hard. We've constantly written and recorded and toured, visiting places over and over and over. We've just stuck at it and never really stopped the last 10 years. That's it.”

High notes, low ones

Coldplay's perch is so lofty nowadays that potshots are inevitable.

One of the less-welcome salvos to come the band's way was a plagiarism lawsuit filed last December, in which guitarist Joe Satriani claimed that Coldplay stole the riff of the “Viva La Vida” title track from his 2004 composition “If I Could Fly.” The case is still pending.

“Yes, that's something we could do without,” Berryman says of the lawsuit. “But I guess it happens. We just have to deal with it in whatever way it needs to be dealt with. But it's very distressing to us. It was very surprising when it happened.”

Of course, some of Coldplay's detractors might say that charges of plagiarism are only comeuppance. For all the pleasantness of Coldplay's music, it's hardly ground-breaking.

It does, however, fit right between two of Britain's leading contemporary bands as a synthesis of Radiohead and U2 – more accessible than the former, a bit less than the latter – creating a perfect commercial micro-niche in the field of anthemic, majestic arena-rock. Throw in a charismatic frontman in singer/keyboardist Chris Martin (husband of Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow) and the group's well-intentioned political activism, and it's small wonder that Coldplay has prospered.

To his credit, Martin has said of Radiohead, “We owe them a career, really.” And the band certainly tried to stretch a bit on “Viva La Vida” by enlisting producer Brian Eno, one of the primary architects of U2's cathedral-like sonics. While it's not a huge departure, “Viva La Vida” does sound more atmospheric than Coldplay's previous three albums.

“Every producer is slightly different,” Berryman says. “Some are more geared up to the engineering side, with microphone settings and equipment, while others are more into ideas and concepts. That's what Brian is about. He's less interested in fine-tuning sounds than the concept, the songs and rhythms and arrangements and how they all fit together. He was instrumental in making this album sound different from anything else we've done before. ”

Lyrics are all Chris

Another change on “Viva La Vida” is that Martin sings most of the songs in a lower register than his signature falsetto croon. And even though Coldplay has never been the cheeriest bunch, this album might be the group's bleakest yet. Multiple songs make references to death (“Bury me in honor/When I'm dead and hit the ground”), or falling short of a heavenly afterlife (“You didn't get to heaven but you made it close”).

But when asked whether or not Martin's lyrics indicate a growing melancholia, Berryman politely demurs.

“The lyrics are all Chris,” Berryman says. “The rest of us might flag something that doesn't seem quite right. But he's a great lyricist, so we usually just let him get on with it. And we don't analyze things, really. The best lyrics come out naturally without you having to think about them at all, and we'd rather leave interpretations open to others. So we don't get into heavy discussions about what they mean. There's a feeling from the lyrics, and we leave it to everyone else to decide what they might mean.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/story/872063.html

they come on a little after 9...I have no idea about the curfew thing though, but they're usually done by 11 or finishing up.

Man, that's a short show....I'm so used to DMB shows that are around 3 hours long. Been awhile since I've seen someone else (as a headliner). Definitely excited for the show! First "date" for my wife and me since our daughter was born last October!

I agree. We should take over the PIT :sneaky: I'm still uncertain about purchasing the fast lane pass and just waiting in line in that entrance....

We can make our own party outside in the regular one! Especially since we may be the only ones willing to wait so long before the gates open.