✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

15-May-2009: Cruzan Amphitheatre, West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Holy stinking crap, it is 6 in the morning. I drove 2.5 hours to get home, was intially super tired, but now I'm in reflection mode...)

South Florida at the start of the summer is hot. And humid too. So there's no doubt that you're going to sweat, but even with the most uncomfortable of heats (hot, sunny and humid) tonight's Coldplay gig was amazing. The set seemed longer and there were songs Florida didn't get to hear live during last year's tour.

Maybe it's because it's the first date of a tour, and they're fresh and energized because the tour isn't a routine yet. Maybe it's because they love Florida. But they were all so giddy, especially Chris! The "Violet Hill" ending got a Florida twist from Chris, who actually sung: "...If you're attending the first night of the last leg of the VLV tour in Florida...and if you're prepared to have an extremely good night on that Friday evening in Florida...and if you wanna make a loud nooooise... won't you let me know."

That got the crowd going right away, although I did notice the front was a little inactive. This venue had some seats near the front (slightly before the pit) that were actually bar tables, complete with a wait staff. I thought this was a rock show, not a night at the jazz club? That crowd was kind of boring, and I wish they'd been more excited. Same with some people around me.

During "42" Chris was playing dead/pyscho eyes while on the piano, and I wondered if that was a shout-out to the posh crowd who were too cool to sing or move. He did it for a while though, and it was the most quirkiest I've ever seen him, doing those crazy eyes like he had just seen a ghost or something.

In section 6, a few of us were very excited, even if some people behind were sitting, talking or texting. Our singing just drowned it out ;) I did notice that the aisle near section 6 turned into a mini-nightclub during the "God Put a Smile.."/"Talk" mix from the second stage. People not only wanted to see the band, but lots of them just started breaking it down because the music was so good. Jonny's whammy bar action is the best thing about that mix. I could write a thesis about how awesome that effect is!

As he began "Postcards..," Chris messed up, and he didn't let it go. He said something along the lines of "Hold on, let's try that again. You can a get a 50 cent refund off your ticket." He started over and played it perfectly. His face looks so focused when he plays this, even with the sweat dripping off of it every few seconds.

During the show, Chris talked a lot. It's what he does. Some of what he said:

-He's not liking his hairstyle at the moment: "What looks good at your house on a Thursday, doesn't look so good on a Friday in West Palm Beach."

-He wanted the West Palm crowd to audition for next's year's American Idol, and maybe do a better job than Susan Boyle (whose name he actually couldn't remember, so just laughed out loud)

-Also, if you showed up hoping to see TheBeeGees, you're out of luck. "That's tomorrow, and you have the wrong night, and you're gonna be dissapointed. It's only my job to warn you. If you came to see Coldplay, you're in the right place." Then they kicked into "Yellow," with the big balloons and all.

For the third stage, the band made its way to the lawn, which was ten times better than the move to the high seats during last year's tour. It was just so much more grander here. They said no act has ever gone and played up there. Lots of people in section 6 stood up on their chairs to see the set, and a lady next to me was in tears when she saw the band go up there. It was like she couldn't believe such a big band would even bother going up there. I was like ,"Oh yes ma'am, they love EVERYONE."

While at the lawn, Chris started a "Mexican" cell-phone wave (I think that's what he called it). He told everyone in the venue to do the wave with their cell phones. He made us do it about three times ("Well that was shit, we gotta do that again"). Chris said the Mexican cell-phone wave had never been attempted before, unless Joe Satriani had already done it!! Sense of humor: intact and perfect. The lawn set had "Green Eyes," too, the first time I've heard it live!

The band also covered "I'm a Believer" during the lawn set, and Chris went on a super love-fest. Normally, after "am I in love," the lyric is "ooooh, I'm a believer," but Chris stopped it several times to ask "Are you in love:"

-Will, strange (?) looking, but nevertheless drummer of Coldplay?

-Guy, the one who sells all our posters?

-Johnny, who would never sing in front of anyone much less 16,000 people?

-Really good looking people in front of us? And all the way where the Viva ballon is?

Toward the end, "Politik" had a lyric change to get the crowd going crazy. "Give me heart and give me soul...Give me love give us a kiss, give me a great, big Floridian scream just like this...open up your eyes.." After the show officially ended, people made a dash for the new album. This probably got way more dangerous than it should have, bless those volunteers who had to endure crazy people fighting for CD's. If you want one, just be gentle, don't bumrush the person with the box full of CD's :)

This was my fourth time seeing Coldplay, and I've said this before about my other times- but it was my favorite. I don't know, though. I also volunteered for Oxfam tonight, and it was beyond fun to do that too. All I can think about is how great tonight was, and how August's closing show needs to be here right now. I loved it all. I hope all the fans who go this tour are just as amazed.

AWESOME review :D

FANTASTIC REVIEWS !!!!!

I´m a bit disappointed I thought they would wear other uniforms.

And they don´t changed their setlist so much.

But theiy all look great and it seems they had a lot of fun:)

Everyone has to understand WPB is the POLO PONIES, corporate stuffy bigwigs that were down front,heaven help them trying to look like they were having fun. Lots of Millionaires in WPB.

Great reviews, Gwyn looked so happy!!! I can't wait until August.

I think some different songs will be added as they go along as to be quite honest they didn't rehearsed anything for the last 6 weeks so I personally think until the show reaches the Uk different songs will be in the set list.

P.

I'm A Believer, video is a bit blurry but the audio is okay. I love Chris' vocals :wideeyed:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ykZRwIcAU]YouTube - Coldplay at the Cruzan Amphitheatre - May 15, 2009 [16][/ame]

Death Will Never Conquer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wi9lxV8Ss4]YouTube - Coldplay at the Cruzan Amphitheatre - May 15, 2009 [15][/ame]

Politik

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJuv3ETdiA]YouTube - Coldplay at the Cruzan Amphitheatre - May 15, 2009 [17][/ame]

Cemeteries Of London

thanks for posting this and the other videos!! :D

(Holy stinking crap, it is 6 in the morning. I drove 2.5 hours to get home, was intially super tired, but now I'm in reflection mode...)

South Florida at the start of the summer is hot. And humid too. So there's no doubt that you're going to sweat, but even with the most uncomfortable of heats (hot, sunny and humid) tonight's Coldplay gig was amazing. The set seemed longer and there were songs Florida didn't get to hear live during last year's tour.

Maybe it's because it's the first date of a tour, and they're fresh and energized because the tour isn't a routine yet. Maybe it's because they love Florida. But they were all so giddy, especially Chris! The "Violet Hill" ending got a Florida twist from Chris, who actually sung: "...If you're attending the first night of the last leg of the VLV tour in Florida...and if you're prepared to have an extremely good night on that Friday evening in Florida...and if you wanna make a loud nooooise... won't you let me know."

That got the crowd going right away, although I did notice the front was a little inactive. This venue had some seats near the front (slightly before the pit) that were actually bar tables, complete with a wait staff. I thought this was a rock show, not a night at the jazz club? That crowd was kind of boring, and I wish they'd been more excited. Same with some people around me.

During "42" Chris was playing dead/pyscho eyes while on the piano, and I wondered if that was a shout-out to the posh crowd who were too cool to sing or move. He did it for a while though, and it was the most quirkiest I've ever seen him, doing those crazy eyes like he had just seen a ghost or something.

In section 6, a few of us were very excited, even if some people behind were sitting, talking or texting. Our singing just drowned it out ;) I did notice that the aisle near section 6 turned into a mini-nightclub during the "God Put a Smile.."/"Talk" mix from the second stage. People not only wanted to see the band, but lots of them just started breaking it down because the music was so good. Jonny's whammy bar action is the best thing about that mix. I could write a thesis about how awesome that effect is!

As he began "Postcards..," Chris messed up, and he didn't let it go. He said something along the lines of "Hold on, let's try that again. You can a get a 50 cent refund off your ticket." He started over and played it perfectly. His face looks so focused when he plays this, even with the sweat dripping off of it every few seconds.

During the show, Chris talked a lot. It's what he does. Some of what he said:

-He's not liking his hairstyle at the moment: "What looks good at your house on a Thursday, doesn't look so good on a Friday in West Palm Beach."

-He wanted the West Palm crowd to audition for next's year's American Idol, and maybe do a better job than Susan Boyle (whose name he actually couldn't remember, so just laughed out loud)

-Also, if you showed up hoping to see TheBeeGees, you're out of luck. "That's tomorrow, and you have the wrong night, and you're gonna be dissapointed. It's only my job to warn you. If you came to see Coldplay, you're in the right place." Then they kicked into "Yellow," with the big balloons and all.

For the third stage, the band made its way to the lawn, which was ten times better than the move to the high seats during last year's tour. It was just so much more grander here. They said no act has ever gone and played up there. Lots of people in section 6 stood up on their chairs to see the set, and a lady next to me was in tears when she saw the band go up there. It was like she couldn't believe such a big band would even bother going up there. I was like ,"Oh yes ma'am, they love EVERYONE."

While at the lawn, Chris started a "Mexican" cell-phone wave (I think that's what he called it). He told everyone in the venue to do the wave with their cell phones. He made us do it about three times ("Well that was shit, we gotta do that again"). Chris said the Mexican cell-phone wave had never been attempted before, unless Joe Satriani had already done it!! Sense of humor: intact and perfect. The lawn set had "Green Eyes," too, the first time I've heard it live!

The band also covered "I'm a Believer" during the lawn set, and Chris went on a super love-fest. Normally, after "am I in love," the lyric is "ooooh, I'm a believer," but Chris stopped it several times to ask "Are you in love:"

-Will, strange (?) looking, but nevertheless drummer of Coldplay?

-Guy, the one who sells all our posters?

-Johnny, who would never sing in front of anyone much less 16,000 people?

-Really good looking people in front of us? And all the way where the Viva ballon is?

Toward the end, "Politik" had a lyric change to get the crowd going crazy. "Give me heart and give me soul...Give me love give us a kiss, give me a great, big Floridian scream just like this...open up your eyes.." After the show officially ended, people made a dash for the new album. This probably got way more dangerous than it should have, bless those volunteers who had to endure crazy people fighting for CD's. If you want one, just be gentle, don't bumrush the person with the box full of CD's :)

This was my fourth time seeing Coldplay, and I've said this before about my other times- but it was my favorite. I don't know, though. I also volunteered for Oxfam tonight, and it was beyond fun to do that too. All I can think about is how great tonight was, and how August's closing show needs to be here right now. I loved it all. I hope all the fans who go this tour are just as amazed.

GREAT review!!! :dance:

Coldplay sweetly sets off tour in West Palm Beach

Perhaps the most lovely thing about Coldplay’s gloriously cordial “Viva La Vida” tour opener at West Palm Beach’s Cruzan Amphitheatre — and there were many — is that the band knows exactly what they are, and aren’t.

Chris Martin and company seem to have accepted that they are not edgy or dangerous, but pretty much nicely square guys from London who love straight-ahead, pretty pop songs like “Yellow” and ”Viva La Vida” with a dash of unabashedly big, anthemic songs with sweeping choruses. Their cute lead singer is married to a movie star, who happened to be sitting calmly right in the middle of the arena, and rather than make Martin seem cooler than you, the result is to make him seem like the luckiest of the nice guys.

Coldplay don’t want to confuse or anger their fans, but hug them. And if they can’t do that personally, they’ll drop swirling currents of bright paper butterflies on them and set up a stage near the lawn so the hoi polloi in the cheap seats can have a nice time.

The result is a fully-realized, feel-good show where the band’s confidence in their sound and comfort in their goofily ordinary skin allows them to take that straight-ahead, sentimental pop and send it somewhere soaring.

“At this point in the show, I feel it’s only fair to ask — Is everyone doing OK? Is everyone having a good time?” Martin asked, well into the show, as Coldplay had taken the first of two trips to side stages located in the audience. And unlike a lot of singers whose “Is everyone having a good time?” patter seems scripted in along with song introductions and what city they’re in, Martin and his Synchronicity-meets-Sgt. Pepper outfit seems to really mean it.

The politely prompt show, which began right at its announced 7:30 start time with the vaguely ’60s swirl of Australian group Howling Bells, continued on its positive road with Pete Yorn, who spun gorgeously moody tunes like “Life On A Chain,” with the good will of the sweetly mopey. Highlight included an acoustic cover of New Order’s electronic masterpiece “Bizarre Love Triangle,” which Yorn made seem, effortlessly, like it was written for a quiet guitar.

Coldplay’s set, alternately, started anything but quietly, with a sheer black sheet of fabric hung over the bare stage suddenly backlit with four swirling lights, each held by a band member. The sheet dropped dramatically to the sound of ”Life In Technicolor,” and proof that Coldplay is pretty much all the special effect that Coldplay needs,

The show was a blend of the familiar (”This song is as old as some new hills,” Martin said of the sing-along favorite “Yellow” and its torrent of yellow balloons bouncing through the crowd), the new (”Violet Hill,” the quirky “Lovers In Japan” and “Death And All His Friends”) and the really, really familiar (a bouncy cover of The Monkees’ “I’m A Believer,” in which Martin had each member of the band respond to a musical question (”Will Champion, very scary looking but very gentle drummer of Coldplay — Are you in love?”).

The effect was just perfect, from Champion’s rat-a-blat Beatles/Wonders pounding to the unending good will from the crowd. They really did win them over by moving part of the show near the lawn patrons, who Martin started flirting with from the time he dedicated shameless weeper “Fix You” to them — “And high above or down below/Two miles from the band at the Coldplay show,” he sang.

The show wasn’t as grand as the band’s last appearance at Cruzan, but more comfortable. Coldplay isn’t trying to impress you with how smart they are - they just love music and the trippy, unimaginable ride it takes you on, and they want to take you, too. Game, set, lovely, lovely match.

http://www.pbpulse.com