✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

15-May-2009: Cruzan Amphitheatre, West Palm Beach, FL, USA

did anyone work with oxfam? how was it?

I did, and so did another Coldplayer, although I didn't talk to anyone about Coldplaying! We were all pretty busy as soon as we gathered.

Instead of t-shirts, the volunteers were rocking Oxfam umbrellas, bandanas and fanny packs!

We initially had set a goal of getting 50 signature for a petition urging world leaders to take action on the effects climate change has on third world countries. But the bar was set higher, and we aimed for 70 signatures each. The most one volunteer got was 100+. People were eager to hear about the petition and what it was for. Some people just weren't interested. They were either drunk, or thought this was a political thing (I got a few "we should help our country before we help others" and someone starting going off about how Chris is a Democrat.) I believed in the cause, and as a result probably talked too much when I approached someone, which is probably why I only got 67 people to sign the petition...

All the volunteers were super, super, super cool. We broke the ice asking each other what our favorite Coldplay song was. Lots of people love "Warning Sign" so Coldplay should take notice :) And Soha, who took over for Pete, is wonderful. She was once a volunteer at a Coldplay show, and now she works for Oxfam! She and Bob were awesome.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kels: MartinFan gives a more accurate description of what I wanted to say when explaining why the WBP crowd in the front was rather lame

And to be more specific, when I say "older," I mean the 30 year-olds.

40 and 50 year-olds who are Coldplay fans and go to the concerts tend to be committed, enthusiastic fans. I have meet a couple here on the Live concert threads in this forum.

Lola, Shhhhhh I am one of the committed, crazy, 40 something!! BRing on August, and I am glad you got what I ment about WPB folks.

:laugh3:EnglishSilk forgives you,then;):laugh3::P

And GREAT pics peeps!

Great Concert!

I must agree that the Pit crow was lame. Few people singing. Nobody around me was jumping or singing. I couldn't believe it. What a waste of good tickets.

There were like 5 girls in front of me (first row next to the fence). They were talking to each other and in the less popular songs they didn't even look at the show :confused::veryangry2:

There was a 50 year old man next to me dancing and singing more than the 20 years old girls. :laugh3: (True)

Anyway, I enjoyed being so close to Chris. His eyes are so beautiful. A light deep aqua blue or something like that. His hair was kind of long. I like him better with shorter hair. He did not pay too much attention to the Pit. He singed looking at the back. (maybe because the people there were so quiet, almost boring)

Also There was a lot of marihuana smoke, and I saw some people fighting (not very coldplaying)

The music was great. Good songs. However, when they were on stage B and C, I couldn't hear the songs very well.

Coldplay rocks!!. I love them. Chris was running around, swetting like crazy, you can see and feel he loves music.

Wow, what a night... LOVE IT.

It was full my friend and we were in the third row center! The energy of the entire crowd was insane! Although there were an older couple next to us.... after a couple songs they left for a while... a long while. I am older but crazy and my CPing friends also we screamed and danced and had yellow glowsticks and sang and they didn't like it. The old and I mean like 60's something changed places at first chance, then they both left. OH WELL!!! It was great to see band sooo happy and joking and smiling! Those balls on stage were more intense than the ones in last tour... they were set up to black background and were spinning fast! The graphics were new and more intense design! Hypnotic and mindblowing! I don't know which balls were spinning faster... the gigantic stage ones or Chris's!!!! Out of control spinning, dancing, a entertaining collage of facial expressions LOL. new dance moves too! It was one the best of all the shows I have seen. First night freshness of the band! Will see how they compare on the last night in Tampa! :)

Can't speak for the sound in the back, as I was up front, but was pumpin loud up front! The butterflies were flying everywhere, since there was an ocean breeze going on. They were all over the outside of venue! Butterflies!!!! Coldplay was here!!! LOL

did the place seem half full or was it practically full??

It was completely full, so many people! :o Even though the whole venue was not sold out :(

DFit, thank-You so very much for your review and multi pics!!! I know your still buzzing!!!

Where are you in Tampa? Can't wait for August!!!

You are welcome MartinFan ;) I will be posting more tomorrow, when I get back home. I am in Sec 8, Row B in Tampa; apparently that might fail for several reasons :sick:, if it does, I will be in Sec 14 Row K :smug: Can't wait also! :D

@Kels: MartinFan gives a more accurate description of what I wanted to say when explaining why the WBP crowd in the front was rather lame

And to be more specific, when I say "older," I mean the 30 year-olds.

40 and 50 year-olds who are Coldplay fans and go to the concerts tend to be committed, enthusiastic fans. I have meet a couple here on the Live concert threads in this forum.

You can fill out a pinata with that confetti :laugh3:

:bomb: I wish Guy would see me and smiled at me several times :dead:

Maybe you were the only boy on that side of the pit? :rolleyes:

Yeah both you Lola & MartinFan are correct. The spoiled kids and rich dudes were in the closer sections and some in the pit. They were so lame in everything, they just pay hundreds of dollars or even thousands for good seats to just look 'cool' with their 'imaginary' friends (The opposite of real is imaginary - not fake ;) ) and they didn't even know Clocks' lyrics. :shifty:

Yeah! I can fill not only one pinata, but threeeeeee pinatas with those confetti!!! :lol:

Aw, yeah... Guy was so shy during the concert, but friendly with the crowd. And yes I was the only boy under 20 in his side. Maybe he was appreciated that I was there. :curtain:

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the reviews, pictures and videos. :) Even though I won't be able to attend any of their North American/European concerts, reading about your experiences makes me feel like I'm a part of it as well.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the reviews, pictures and videos. :) Even though I won't be able to attend any of their North American/European concerts, reading about your experiences makes me feel like I'm a part of it as well.

I am sure Coldplay will visit Australia soon, did you have a chance to see them overthere in March?

This thread has made me so excited for July! Thank you for the amazing reviews and pictures/videos, everyone.

No problem, let's keep the rush of viva up!

Where were your seats?

I did, and so did another Coldplayer, although I didn't talk to anyone about Coldplaying! We were all pretty busy as soon as we gathered.

Instead of t-shirts, the volunteers were rocking Oxfam umbrellas, bandanas and fanny packs!

We initially had set a goal of getting 50 signature for a petition urging world leaders to take action on the effects climate change has on third world countries. But the bar was set higher, and we aimed for 70 signatures each. The most one volunteer got was 100+. People were eager to hear about the petition and what it was for. Some people just weren't interested. They were either drunk, or thought this was a political thing (I got a few "we should help our country before we help others" and someone starting going off about how Chris is a Democrat.) I believed in the cause, and as a result probably talked too much when I approached someone, which is probably why I only got 67 people to sign the petition...

All the volunteers were super, super, super cool. We broke the ice asking each other what our favorite Coldplay song was. Lots of people love "Warning Sign" so Coldplay should take notice :) And Soha, who took over for Pete, is wonderful. She was once a volunteer at a Coldplay show, and now she works for Oxfam! She and Bob were awesome.

Where were your seats?

I had a ticket, so I was in section 6. Volunteers without a ticket were allowed to sit anywhere on the lawn. So if you're volunteering and you've read this thread, you know where you should sit for maximum view ;)

They went up to the lawn, and then left the lawn through the same side.

You know how if you were sitting on the lawn and when looking at the stage, you would be on Jonny's side? That left side (I think its called stage right?), that's the side where Stage C was. I don't know if they'll always be there, or mix it up between the left and right throughout the tour though. I saw them twice last year, and both times it was the same setup, but the lawn is open, so perhaps it is easer to mix it up?

Coldplay concert in West Palm resembles a campaign rally

Bands, like politicians, need to get re-elected every so often.

Take Coldplay, who staged a campaign stop of sorts for 16,000 people on Friday night at Cruzan Amphitheatre, west of West Palm Beach. There were remarks, confetti, balloons and presents: The band sent attendees home with a free concert CD.

Likewise, the appearance of singer Chris Martin's wife, actress Gwyneth Paltrow, could have come from a political playbook. Paltrow made an entrance befitting a popular first lady, taking a seat up close to watch the concert alongside everyone else.

This was Coldplay's second South Florida stop in six months, and "the first night of the last leg of the 'Viva la Vida' tour," as Martin described the itinerary. The show and the set list haven't changed much between visits, but the tone on Friday was noticeably different -- more directed.

In November, while a rock star of politics was claiming the White House, Coldplay just came to entertain. This time, with the Grammy-winning British quartet starting the wind-down toward (presumably) a break, the concert felt like an effort to hang on to votes. Coldplay wants to remain in fans' hearts and minds until the next album and tour.

In this swing state, where Martin himself announced the attendance figure of 16,000, they've probably succeeded. The concert was an effective pitch for the crowd's favor, with occasionally stellar music.

Coldplay played anthemic rockers with easy-to-remember slogans: "Open up your eyes" (from "Politik," natch) and "If you never try you'll never know" (from the ballad "Fix You"). Repetition being a favorite tool of political message-shapers, Coldplay seemed determined to keep changes in tempo and mood to a pleasant minimum. Songs from the band's four studio albums ran together like paragraphs in a well-polished stump speech.

There were beautiful exceptions. Coldplay's best song, still, "Clocks" rose above the rest with its shifting triads, thrumming bass lines and Martin's plangent melody stretched across the chords.

"Viva la Vida," an orchestral tale of glory and ruin ("Sweep the streets I used to own"), got a rousing assist from the crowd. Martin sang it without a trace of rancor, considering all the recent claims on its authorship.

The band tossed in an oldie, the Monkees' I'm a Believer. It was a telling choice of covers. When Coldplay broke through in 2000, they made sense in the company of a couple of other U.K. bands -- Doves and Muse -- that occupied sonic space between U2's royal empathy and Radiohead's melancholy squall.

As they've gained in renown, they've gone backwards in time. Coldplay's songwriting has taken on the very British wistfulness one hears in stand-bys such as Paul McCartney's "Penny Lane" and Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill." It wouldn't be the first campaign based on appeals to a kinder, gentler past.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com

Aw, the WPB newspapers were very kind to the band, sometimes these papers in Florida, always add some negative shit!!!

I can't wait to meet up with other Coldplayers, hopefully we could all meet up somewhereby the gates before they let us in, I am gonna have a 100 yellow sticks to give out.

Hello. I was in the pit, front and center along with two other girls and a guy.. (girls! remember me?? where are you here? i was the tiny girl wearing the grey shirt ..we were talking before we got out wristbands! anyways..i think we were the only people jumping and singing..i took videos of the pit to my left and right and you see everyone just standing there. i will be posting some videos and pics soon...uploading right now :) as for the girls, reply back! i can't find you on this 97 page thread, lol!