✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tired Pony

Black Rose

Mailer1_1_01.jpg

Mailer1_1_02.jpg

Mailer1_1_03.jpg

Even though Snow Patrol have been quiet the last few months ahead of their forthcoming European shows, front man Gary Lightbody has been anything but...

Tired Pony began life as a doodle in Gary's jotter. During idle moments on Snow Patrol's year-long tour cycle for their last album, A Hundred Million Suns, Gary began writing songs for this imaginary band. Forward to January 4th 2010, a cast of characters assembled at Portland's Type Foundry studio; from the extended Snow Patrol family there was Troy Stewart, Iain Archer, Belle & Sebastian's Richard Colburn and producer Garret 'Jacknife' Lee, who brought in Tired Pony's final two members, Peter Buck from R.E.M. and Scott McCaughey, the Seattle musical polymath who's been R.E.M.'s full-time auxiliary member since 1994.

The result is The Place We Ran From a record that begins quietly, and ends with a four-minute feedback storm, with any number of peak moments within.

Joined by a number of guest contributors including M. Ward and his She & Him partner Zooey Deschanel, as well as Tom Smith of Editors, the much rumoured album will finally see its release on 12th July.

To get an 8 minute preview inside the studio with Tired Pony as well as have a listen to some of the tracks included on the album, head to the newly launched TiredPony.com.

Yay, new supergroup :D

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait for the album...:(

The last song in that video is so amazing....

here it is on the youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CjCmA1mIk&playnext_from=TL&videos=mVLMzoEFe30&feature=sub]YouTube- Tired Pony - The Place We Ran From.flv[/ame]

Sounds so good

there were a couple of tunes that i liked, especially the last one. tho i'm still sitting on the fence about this supergroup's stuff...mainly cos country music has never really been my cup of tea & there were some really country sounding stuff in that vid.

Finally watched the video, and I'm loving the sound of it.

there were a couple of tunes that i liked, especially the last one. tho i'm still sitting on the fence about this supergroup's stuff...mainly cos country music has never really been my cup of tea & there were some really country sounding stuff in that vid.

I was worried about the "country" thing too, Kimmi, but I must admit I'm excited about the album now. If it's country at all, I think it's more traditional country, rather than the schlock that's played on country radio now. To me, it honestly sounded more folksy/bluegrass-y ;)

Tired Pony (Gary Lightbody side project)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CjCmA1mIk]YouTube- Tired Pony - The Place We Ran From.flv[/ame]

Tired Pony is a music group consisting of Gary Lightbody, Richard Colburn, Iain Archer, Jacknife Lee, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Troy Stewart. Lightbody formed the group out of his love for country music, and has described the group's music as "country-tinged". The group visited Portland, Oregon in January 2010 to record an album, which is being produced by member Lee. The resulting album is scheduled for release on 12 July 2010.

ired Pony was formed by Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol), who had a "long-term ambition" of making a country album. He revealed the project's existence in May 2009. In the interview, he expressed his love for country music, which he said he had loved for a long time: "I always thought I had a country album in me and it turns out I did."The rest of Snow Patrol expressed excitement for their band-mate, "delighted that [Lightbody was] getting to exorcise all his crazy ideas."In October 2009, Lightbody in his blog on Snow Patrol's website revealed the members of the group to be Richard Colburn (of Belle & Sebastian), Iain Archer, singer Miriam Kaufmann (Archer's wife), and Jacknife Lee. He talked about two more members whom he was very excited about, but didn't name them.He also stated that the album won't be country as was being reported,but would be "country-tinged". In January 2010, Hot Press reported Peter Buck (of R.E.M.) to be a member of the group. Lightbody described Buck as one of his "all-time heroes" and admired his talent for playing a variety of instruments.

Lightbody looks at the project as something he has "wanted to get out of [his] system", and said that "[he doesn't] know whether people will dig it or not."He has expressed doubts about the commercial viability of the group's work, mainly in the United States.

http://tiredpony.com/

There'll be a concert of Tired Pony on 14th July in London. Tickets go on sale this weekend (21st May). Further information on tiredpony.com

Gary Lightbody and Co will be performing tracks from their new album 'The Place We Ran From' on 14th July at a very intimate show at The Forum in London. The gig is set to be one of the most sought after tickets of the summer

This is from an e-mail mailing list members got, so there's no information on Tired Pony's website yet but I guess it will we up tomorrow though.

Finally watched the video, and I'm loving the sound of it.

I was worried about the "country" thing too, Kimmi, but I must admit I'm excited about the album now. If it's country at all, I think it's more traditional country, rather than the schlock that's played on country radio now. To me, it honestly sounded more folksy/bluegrass-y ;)

well if by "country tinged" he means it's closer in sound overall to SP's reworked tour's songs, i'm definitely fine with that. not a fan of country music like that one Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers or the general stereotypical country music type played at the senior citizens' line dancing classes they have in Singapore & Malaysia (yes, our elderly folk in Asia love doing them line dances in their spare time these days... :confused: )

but, as i have bitten the bullet & ended up with tix to their gig, i'll know for sure by then how their stuff sound live...

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

I'll fly home one day earlier.

awww...can you change your flight? delay it a day or 2? :(

(i have a very good reason for asking this of you... :P )

Alright, here I am with some news, in case some of you missed (some of) them. :)

First of all: There'll be a second Tired Pony concert! It'll be on the same day, 14th July, same location. The second gig is set to start at around 11 p.m., so right after the first has ended (there's probably a break of an hour for the first audience to leave and the second to get in).

I don't know if there are still tickets available since it's a quite small venue.

The tracklisting of The Place We Ran From (out 12th July 2010)

1. Northwestern Skies

2. Get On The Road

3. Point Me To Lost Lands

4. Dead American Writers

5. Held In The Arms Of Your Words

6. That Silver Necklace

7. I Am The Landslide

8. The Deepest Ocean There Is

9. The Good Book

10. Pieces

Source: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Place-We-Ran-Tired-Pony/dp/B003LY40OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274969413&sr=1-1]Amazon.co.uk[/ame]

According to Amazon.co.uk, the first single could be track no. 4, Dead American Writers.

Although Amazon says the 10'' vinyl of Dead American Writers is currently unavailable, so you can't pre-order it like the album, I can imagine it to be the first single.

From what I know the very first single is to be released on 14th July, same day like the album.

Here's the link to the 10'' vinyl of Dead American Writers by Tired Pony on [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-American-Writers-10-VINYL/dp/B003NVP09E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274969413&sr=1-3]Amazon.co.uk[/ame]

There's no official announcement of what the first single will be, yet.

But we already have one song from the album, I Am The Landslide. Here's the live version of it performed by Iain Archer and two non-Tired Pony members:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwQkIK4NxjE&feature=related]YouTube- Iain Archer at Club Monkey IV - Landslide by Tired Pony[/ame]

A private concert in one's living room, not bad, I'd say ...

Last winter, Gary already played a song he wrote for Tired Pony on the radio in Portland. I don't know why but someone on the internet came up with the titel I Finally Love This Town (Gary certainly didn't call it like that when he played it and I can't remember having heard that title from the official site).

From what I've heard in the preview video, the song didn't make it on the album. But maybe we haven't got an impression on every song.

If anyone's interested ...

That's the original recording. I recommend that, since Gary makes a proper introduction for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99yihLRpmNo&feature=related]YouTube- Tired Pony - I Finally Love This Town (Portland 2009)[/ame]

Here's the track only, though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqLYeSsQ9M&feature=related]YouTube- I Finally Love This Town - Tired Pony[/ame]

I love how you can acutually picture him bobbing to the guitar sound. :nice:

Alright, here I am with some news, in case some of you missed (some of) them. :)

Thank you!

Wow, a second concert!

If you'd have said it would be before the 14th I'd have been more happy though.

I am still sad that I'll leave London just the day before. :bomb: