✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[19-Dec-2010] Crisis: Coldplay in Liverpool (ROYAL COURT THEATRE, 1 ROE ST, L1 1HL)

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay, Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool, review

The country's favourite flag-waving indie band managed to bungle up all their biggest hits but no one seemed to give a monkeys. Rating: * * *

It could have been the best Christmas pantomime on the planet: Gary Barlow singing Back For Good accompanied by Coldplay as Peter Kay threw bananas into the crowd. One narrowly missed Steven Gerrard, who was recording the whole thing on his mobile phone from the circle. But this was no extended run, rather a one-off from the country’s favourite flag-waving indie band, breaking out from the studio to play their only two UK gigs of 2010 for the homeless charity Crisis.

Under the palm-leaf props of Liverpool’s own Christmas panto, Chris Martin leapt around like a gangly chimp, apologising profusely for bungling up all his biggest hits. “We’re sorry. We’ve been in the studio for a very long time,” he grinned. “If anyone’s here to see 'Scouse Pacific’ you’re going to have a very bad night!”

But no one seemed to give a monkeys that this wasn’t the most polished of performances. The rowdy crowd sang all over the gaps in Trouble and roared through In My Place, the walls of Liverpool’s Royal Court Theatre rattling with enthusiasm.

Coldplay are famous for their charity work. This time last year they were auctioning their first guitars for Kids Company; with the quarter of a million raised from this gig, Crisis will be able to open a new homeless shelter in Liverpool. But, despite his worthy reputation, Martin seemed nervous, his hand awkwardly jammed in his crotch like his good friend Jay-Z, with whom he will play an invitation-only show on New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas.

In Liverpool, support came from The Choir With No Name, a 30-strong ensemble of homeless singers who performed to much encouragement from the audience. The choir’s cover of Coldplay’s Politik, with its gentle refrain “Open up your eyes”, was infinitely more moving than the band’s version, which went so wrong that Martin announced “We’re s---!” straight afterwards.

“Only joking, I don’t really think that,” he added. “I think we’re average-to-middling. And we’ve benefited greatly from Gary Barlow being on holiday for the last 10 years!”

Everyone laughed, but the laughs turned to screams in the encore when Barlow walked out on stage, Martin hailing him as the best songwriter in England today. They finished by joining together for a rendition of Coldplay’s festive single, Christmas Lights, the three Elvises from the music video serenading on violin.

Things are likely to get more serious for Coldplay in 2011 as they look forward to the release of their fifth album. But, for now, they seem more than happy to be playing at a pantomime for a good cause.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopreviews/8216197/Coldplay-Royal-Court-Theatre-Liverpool-review.html

A bit late to the party, but here's my long-winded review and how I got to be able to go all of a sudden!

http://bit.ly/eTKepQ

For those of you that haven't read my reviews before, it is SUPER long as usual :P

Videos tomorrow, perhaps :D

Hi Chelsea,

I have just read your review. It is so awesome and amazing. I am so glad that you succeeded in going to the Liverpool gig.

All the best - I hope that you succeed in coming home for Christmas. :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

Hi Chelsea,

I have just read your review. It is so awesome and amazing. I am so glad that you succeeded in going to the Liverpool gig.

All the best - I hope that you succeed in coming home for Christmas. :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

Thank you! :D

I'm supposed to fly at 5:05 PM GMT tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes :uhoh:

However, I'm currently sick and I blame the whole Coldplay adventure :lol:. If I didn't race up to Liverpool, wait in the cold, sing and dance my heart out, and lose sleep and food, I feel like I wouldn't feel like such crap now :P. Totally worth it, though.

These 2 gigs and these days were absolutely gorgeous for me. I'm at home in Italy Now. Everything was fucking great, from the soundcheck to' the Will's hug! crazy guys. Crazy. Fantastic experience. Maybe better than last year in exeter. I've to think About it .

DEFINITELY MASSIVE

I'll add details asap

Hi, everybody -- I made it home to western NY last night about 8:00. The travel to and from Liverpool was harrowing, both ways, but the middle part of the trip was perfection. I almost didn't make it since Amsterdam shut down - I actually was having the Delta ticket agent at JFK rebook me back home but, while on hold, she suggested I check for a Delta Mileage seat and I got the last seat on what turned out to be the last plane into Heathrow before it closed. Hopped a taxi to Euston Station and a train to Liverpool and there I was. In a hotel DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the Royal Court Theatre. I spent my Sunday breakfast in the hotel restaurant watching the crew unload and while that was happening, "Gravity" came on over the restaurant's music system. Sweet.

Mich and others have done a fab job of reviewing the show and some of the other goings on so all I'll say is that I feel extremely fortunate to have seen them in this small setting. To be so close (I was at the front of the Circle) that I could see the expressions on their faces while they were playing was a joy. They really seemed to be having a great time at this gig!

But what happened afterward was icing on the cake. I joined Carrie, Chelsea, Craig, Anna, and others for a wait at the stage door (in the freezing cold but hey, who cared?). After a while Security came out and had us form a little lane. First out were Chris's parents who seemed a little hesitant. But as they passed me I said "Mr. Martin! Mrs. Martin! Merry Christmas!" Chris's dad made a beeline over to me and grabbed both of my hands and asked "How did you like the show?" They chatted for a couple of minutes (sometimes my being the Oldest Fan is a good thing!) and then headed for the car.

And after another while Chris came out. Now let me tell you, my first glimpse of him, up close and live, took my breath away. Photos and videos do not do this man justice. He is stunning. He moved slowly along the crowd, stopping for photos and signing autographs. He said "I'll sign anything!" and when a man behind me had him sign his shirt, Chris said "Well, I've gone and ruined that for you!" When he reached me there was a clutch of people around him, so he sort of stopped and leaned against me while he was chatting and signing. He kept on leaning for a good five minutes - and my side and arm will never be the same. He signed my ticket envelope for me and then someone asked him "How's your baby?" Chelsea recounted the conversation he had about Apple, but after he mentioned that she was six I said "I have a grand-niece that age." He turned around and looked at me and said "What??" I repeated myself and said that was a cute age and he said "Yeah, that's cool!" And then he had the conversation about her name that Chelsea described!

I got to join Craig and the others while Phil signed the big poster that Craig had scored, and we all posed for a photo with it (I hope Craig posts it here soon). Phil was adorable and friendly but not dressed for the weather!

Had a 6 a.m. flight on Monday morning so I went back to the hotel for a couple of hours of sleep before the 21-hour trip back, and here I am back at work with a head full of memories. What a great Christmas present.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMXzaURf3Z4]YouTube - Coldplay Coldplay When I Ruled The World Liverpool Royal Court 19th December 2010 Crisis Hidden Gig[/ame]

is Chris waving to someone in the beginning? and in the end he's talking to someone at about 4:27. sorry I can't understand what he's saying.... does anyone know???

Hi, everybody -- I made it home to western NY last night about 8:00. The travel to and from Liverpool was harrowing, both ways, but the middle part of the trip was perfection. I almost didn't make it since Amsterdam shut down - I actually was having the Delta ticket agent at JFK rebook me back home but, while on hold, she suggested I check for a Delta Mileage seat and I got the last seat on what turned out to be the last plane into Heathrow before it closed. Hopped a taxi to Euston Station and a train to Liverpool and there I was. In a hotel DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the Royal Court Theatre. I spent my Sunday breakfast in the hotel restaurant watching the crew unload and while that was happening, "Gravity" came on over the restaurant's music system. Sweet.

Mich and others have done a fab job of reviewing the show and some of the other goings on so all I'll say is that I feel extremely fortunate to have seen them in this small setting. To be so close (I was at the front of the Circle) that I could see the expressions on their faces while they were playing was a joy. They really seemed to be having a great time at this gig!

But what happened afterward was icing on the cake. I joined Carrie, Chelsea, Craig, Anna, and others for a wait at the stage door (in the freezing cold but hey, who cared?). After a while Security came out and had us form a little lane. First out were Chris's parents who seemed a little hesitant. But as they passed me I said "Mr. Martin! Mrs. Martin! Merry Christmas!" Chris's dad made a beeline over to me and grabbed both of my hands and asked "How did you like the show?" They chatted for a couple of minutes (sometimes my being the Oldest Fan is a good thing!) and then headed for the car.

And after another while Chris came out. Now let me tell you, my first glimpse of him, up close and live, took my breath away. Photos and videos do not do this man justice. He is stunning. He moved slowly along the crowd, stopping for photos and signing autographs. He said "I'll sign anything!" and when a man behind me had him sign his shirt, Chris said "Well, I've gone and ruined that for you!" When he reached me there was a clutch of people around him, so he sort of stopped and leaned against me while he was chatting and signing. He kept on leaning for a good five minutes - and my side and arm will never be the same. He signed my ticket envelope for me and then someone asked him "How's your baby?" Chelsea recounted the conversation he had about Apple, but after he mentioned that she was six I said "I have a grand-niece that age." He turned around and looked at me and said "What??" I repeated myself and said that was a cute age and he said "Yeah, that's cool!" And then he had the conversation about her name that Chelsea described!

I got to join Craig and the others while Phil signed the big poster that Craig had scored, and we all posed for a photo with it (I hope Craig posts it here soon). Phil was adorable and friendly but not dressed for the weather!

Had a 6 a.m. flight on Monday morning so I went back to the hotel for a couple of hours of sleep before the 21-hour trip back, and here I am back at work with a head full of memories. What a great Christmas present.

:hug: im so happy for u

Hi everybody!

I arrived home today, I was concerned about the flight when it started to snow at night, but it was allright by morning and we were only two hours delayed.

How did everyone arrive home?

Here are some of my pictures on fb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2103360&id=1472230710&l=9265e7ff7a

(I´ll upload some more to photobucket, but I´m soooo tired now)

Hi everybody!

I arrived home today, I was concerned about the flight when it started to snow at night, but it was allright by morning and we were only two hours delayed.

How did everyone arrive home?

Here are some of my pictures on fb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2103360&id=1472230710&l=9265e7ff7a

(I´ll upload some more to photobucket, but I´m soooo tired now)

Hi Wisna,

Good to hear that you are home and safe, but naturally tired.

Nice pictures. Looking forward to hearing more later.

:stunned: I didn't even see Chris's parents come out! That's so awesome that you got to talk to them and that they were so kind. That whole family just warms my heart :wacky:

I got two pictures with both you and Chris in the frame, though!

72061_1582702922502_1083570023_31368582_7852724_n.jpg

157073_1582703162508_1083570023_31368584_6606941_n.jpg

They're not fabulous or anything, but let me know if you'd like the full-resolution versions :nice:.

YouTube - Coldplay Coldplay When I Ruled The World Liverpool Royal Court 19th December 2010 Crisis Hidden Gig[/url]

is Chris waving to someone in the beginning? and in the end he's talking to someone at about 4:27. sorry I can't understand what he's saying.... does anyone know???

I just found that vid and was wondering about that too! He definitely addresses someone in the crowd and says something to them.

The sound quality on that is better than the one uploaded by the roadies - the loudness of the Viva chant crescendo is just... amazing!! I have tingles :heart:

This was only my 2nd Coldplay gig, the first being the MEN two years ago. It was amazing, brilliant night from start to finish.

One question - The video of Christmas lights that Coldplay have put up is professionally recorded, was the whole gig recorded and is it going to be possible to purchase on DVD? I'd happily pay a good price for a proper video momentum of the evening.

The gig was amazing! I was sat on the front row of the circle seats so had a really good view.

You could tell all the Choir with No Name were really enjoying singing, they were so moving and I loved their version of Politik!

My favourites from the gig were Shiver, God put a Smile Upon Your Face (Jonny really thrashed the life out of that guitar) and Cemetaries of London. Chris was really on top form with the self-deprecating funnyness :lol:

Afterwards, I waited for the guys to come out until I had to go (I wasn't the one driving home, and therefore didn't have a say when we did so :rolleyes: ) Will came out but with his little daughter so no-one pestered him. I've heard since that Chris came out, about quarter of an hour after I left. Oh well, that's my luck :laugh3: