✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[19-Dec-2010] Crisis: Coldplay in Liverpool (ROYAL COURT THEATRE, 1 ROE ST, L1 1HL)

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mich picked up about 30 new followers and I got nearly 20. Think lndnsky was promoting us heavily :laugh3:

They'll lose interest soon enough when they see how boring my life normally is :rolleyes:

Haha! Well, A-man took so much time between updates that we were more than happy to wait wth your pics and videos instead of those from CP HQ!

You got yourself your own little fanclub! :P

what was the mega high light over the whole evening

Christmas Lights obviously based on the timing.

The Gary Barlow bit was also a big suprise and put a smile on faces.

Chris has often played that song so it was a shock when Barlow walked out, i just assumed Chris was just doing his usual 'i love TakeThat' routine.

Coldplay – review (Guardian)

Royal Court, Liverpool

"If anyone's here for the pantomime I'm afraid you're gonna have a shit evening," quips Chris Martin, kicking off the first of two gigs for homeless charity Crisis, in "intimate" venues. "Intimate", of course, is a relative concept, but a 1,000-capacity theatre is a small gig for a group who've shifted 50m albums and treat the venue like an arena. The drum sound alone seems to come via the Mersey tunnel.

Coldplay's last album, Vive le Vida, suggests they may now be the world's biggest-selling band, and while U2 and the Stones may still be ahead in tour receipts, Martin's troops are a formidable live act. The £50 tickets (unfortunately touted for 15 times as much) get you a set of greatest hits and songs they haven't played in years, and an evening somewhere between Echo & the Bunnymen, Elton John and Anfield. In My Place raises hands in the air within 30 seconds; the crowd bellow Yellow so loudly Martin can barely get a word in.

Wearing unfeasibly tight trousers and a carnation, the thirtysomething singer is part consummate frontman, part someone stumbling on stage at a wedding party. On record, he can be overearnest; live, he is a hoot, smashing mic stands, accidentally headbutting the microphone, claiming to be listening to Radio 4 through his headphones, and insisting the band are too embarrassed to play anything from their forthcoming fifth album because it is "atrocious". However, they can unleash considerable emotion, not least when the crowd form a hushed choir as Fix You unshowily but poignantly captures the point of the evening.

Martin may wish to come over like a hapless Mr Bean, but he clearly has powers beyond even the average rock god. "If only the pantomime genie could magic up the greatest songwriter in Britain," he sighs, and lo and behold on walks Take That's Gary Barlow for a version of Back for Good, which generates such hysteria you fear for the building. The surreal cast is then joined by Peter Kay, hurling sweets, and no fewer than three Elvises, playing violins.

But perhaps the most significant moment came earlier, when the Choir With No Name – singers of varying ability drawn from "the fringes of society" – brought cheers to the rafters with their heroic, moving renditions of Christmas classics. Meanwhile, the £250,000 raised by these gigs has already established a Crisis centre in Liverpool: while governments do nothing, or worse, it seems that extraordinary events such as this can make a real difference to struggling people's lives.

More information at http://www.crisis.org.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/20/coldplay-review

Thanks for the great review.I get butterflies reading it

I have a question..It always seems that Chris is the one to invite people inside,to soundchecks,or give tickets to people that dont have any.

.And when people go to the beehive he'sthe one giving gifts.The other guys dont seem to do that..Is it shyness on their part or what??Just curious

That was an amazing read!

Thank you Mich for typing all this, everyone would've understood if you've done it later.

Much appreciated! :kiss:

Those Will-parts really made me laugh and it's so good to hear that everyone was in a good mood!!!! :awesome:

Hope that Chris listens to your advice. :)

First gig in a while where you can't complain about the setlist! :dance: :P

Someone was asking for a highlight - I honestly couldn't pick one out. I was amazing to hear Shiver live again, to see them perform Back for Good with Gary was amazing, and they opened the show with my personal favourite, In My Place. It felt like my dream setlist.

I think the abiding memory I will take with me isn't a song, it's the mood. I have genuinely never seen them all so happy and at ease. They were just loving the fact they were playing for an audience - I've been critical of Liverpool crowds in the past but this audience was fantastic (maybe it's because there were so many people who travelled so far, through such hard circumstances - they were determined to have fun). The band really seemed to feed of the crowds energy.

Chris made a comment in the soundcheck about how they've been in "studio mode". I think they were alsmost relieved to be playing in front of other people again. He was back to his self-deprecating best "We're happy to close for Peter Kaye and the Choir With No Name"... "The new music's attrocious and I can't f***ing play it

Sorry, I'm rambling again... I'll go away now... I'm still just buzzed about the whole thing. The day after a concert I'm usually a bit down because the excitement is over, but over the course of the day little memories keep popping in to my head and I get goosbumps all over again!

Someone was asking for a highlight - I honestly couldn't pick one out. I was amazing to hear Shiver live again, to see them perform Back for Good with Gary was amazing, and they opened the show with my personal favourite, In My Place. It felt like my dream setlist.

I think the abiding memory I will take with me isn't a song, it's the mood. I have genuinely never seen them all so happy and at ease. They were just loving the fact they were playing for an audience - I've been critical of Liverpool crowds in the past but this audience was fantastic (maybe it's because there were so many people who travelled so far, through such hard circumstances - they were determined to have fun). The band really seemed to feed of the crowds energy.

Chris made a comment in the soundcheck about how they've been in "studio mode". I think they were alsmost relieved to be playing in front of other people again. He was back to his self-deprecating best "We're happy to close for Peter Kaye and the Choir With No Name"... "The new music's attrocious and I can't f***ing play it

Sorry, I'm rambling again... I'll go away now... I'm still just buzzed about the whole thing. The day after a concert I'm usually a bit down because the excitement is over, but over the course of the day little memories keep popping in to my head and I get goosbumps all over again!

:heart:

they could play anything (not really :P), the mood always makes it better!