✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Vinyl Freaks and Geeks

MrMagpie

I used to buy vinyl because I liked the oversized artwork. It sounds crazy, but as recently as 5 years ago, I could buy the biggest titles for $4 or $5 in the used bin. The problem is I didn't care about the record, which I often would leave in a spot where it would get exposed to sunlight and it got ruined. Now that I care, I have to buy the same record for the 2nd time :cry:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a vinyl freak! :cheesy:

Just had to buy a new turntable recently. Spent some extra dough to get this one, from Urban Outfitters.

4899713268_309fe8a38c.jpg

Can't wait until it ships. :dance:

And when it comes to my vinyl collection I have everything from my dad's old 60's and 70's Beatles records to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. I'm too tired to list everything right now. :P

that is so freakin cute :nod: :)

I just bought a record player last week.

I've been building up a record collection slowly. Right now it is pretty tiny but I plan on gradually expanding it.

Do you buy records?

How big is your collection?

Are they mostly your parents records or yours too?

Post pictures of your album covers etc. if you want. I think one of my favourite parts about them is having big pieces of artwork.

how come there wasn't a vynil thread before?

my dad bought a new record player (numark) -one that can copy the sound in mp3 format with the record player noisy :wacko: - like 3 years ago.

he has yet the records from his youth, must be around 200 LP vynils and some singles.

he told me used to have a lot more, most are bands of the 70's and 80's, he have some rare ones.

i personally have no vynils yet.

Is vinyl released by new artists the same as vinyl released by old artists? With everything being digitally recorded these days, I was wondering if new vinyl albums have lost some of the "warmth" that people love about old vinyl. I don't know the answer.

well yeah, digital recording onto vinyl will lose a lot of the 'warmth' but the vinyl itself adds a whole lot.

for example, My EP was all digitally recorded. I put wav files onto a CD for them to press. But because the records are Lathe Cut, an old, lo fi way of pressing records, there is A LOT more warmth than there was in the wav files. It's all very compressed and bassy, but it sounds great.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the vinyl of the Soundtrack 'Skyscraber' but vibrashop got the order wrong and now they say I have to re-order it although it was only 200 copies. THANKS :veryangry2:

And Saturday I bought the Sleep Party People vinyl which sounds extra nice on a turnable, better than CD. That makes me happy.

I love the sound of Coldplay on vinyl. "Parachutes" and "X&Y" in particular are very strong on vinyl. The warmth of these two albums are amazing on LP compared to the CD versions. Chris' vocals sound very crisp, almost like you're in the room with him. IMO, the bass on these two LPs outshine the CD versions, as the bottoms are deeper and richer.

I'm thrilled that bands like Coldplay, The Killers and Marillion continue to put out vinyl versions of their work, sometimes on colored vinyl or picture discs too. From a collector's standpoint it's a lot of fun, and from an audiophile's standpoint it's practically necessary. If I'm in my car obviously a CD or MP3 will do, but if I'm at home relaxing and really want to experience the full, rich sound of the band, I'll put on the LP. Next best thing to having Will Champion sitting on your living room sofa playing the drums...

I was surprised that X&Y sounded so good on vinyl. Very rich sound and very full, as opposed to the "tinny" sound on the CD version, which I agree sounded very cold.

Unfortunately "Viva la Vida" did not sound very good on vinyl. It's a shame too, because Viva is my all-time favorite CP album, but the vinyl was very stagnant and it all seemed to be recorded at one level. No open highs, no full lows, no brightness or depth. Sounded very stale. The CD version of Viva, IMO, is the better format.

I just bought a record player last week.

I've been building up a record collection slowly. Right now it is pretty tiny but I plan on gradually expanding it.

Do you buy records?

How big is your collection?

Are they mostly your parents records or yours too?

Post pictures of your album covers etc. if you want. I think one of my favourite parts about them is having big pieces of artwork.

* I definitely buy vinyls, but only of my fav artists

* Probably 50-60 vinyls

* They are all my records :)

I love vinyls because they are big too! :) And it´s such a ritual to place the disc on the turntable and I love the buzzing sound they make in the background.

Thought of asking here. Anyone can recommend a good turntable with possibility for hooking earphones to it?

Hey valypan, I posted this earlier in another section for you, thought I'd bring it over here too with some extra info....

--------

You can always buy a portable turntable that has the speakers built right in (the "suitcase" models, if you will). You carry it around like a piece of luggage, and just plug it into an outlet to hear it. Most of these have plugs for your headphones too. There are lots of models to choose from, but I'd stay away from Crosley units. I hear there are always problems with those. Or, you can buy an actual turntable that you connect to a receiver as more of a standard home audio piece.

Speaking of which, in my opinion, Ion and Audio Technica both make decent turntables at good prices (usually under $80). I would suggest one of these as a good entry-level turntable. Usually Amazon stocks them. Not sure if you can plug an earphone in them though. Do you have a receiver? If so, you can plug the turntable into the receiver and simply use the out-jack of the receiver to plug your headphones into. As for speakers, they are relatively cheap nowadays. In fact, if you have any pawn shops, thrift shops or charity stores in your area, you can usually buy a good decent pair of used speakers for around $20 or $30. Later in time you could always get something new, again, through Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy, or whatever else is around your neck of the woods. Despite what people may say, you don't have to spend massive amounts of money to have a good quality sound system. And at the end of the day, it's whatever you want, what fits your own budget, and getting to hear the music you love. :-)

Technicolour: Thanks so much for your post. Are the portable turntables just as good as ordinary turntables? What I mean is : would I get a high quality sound to my earphones?

I don´t have space for speakers at all (I live in a small apartment) and as I like to hear music , I prefer to use earphones anyway not to disturb my neighbors. Also I prefer portable gear as I probably will be moving in a year or so. Any links in Amazon for the products you mentioned? I hope it´s not too much bother but I am an absolute amateur when it comes to turntables. Thanks again!

Also this would be the right place to ask. I read somewhere, not sure if it was here on the forum or somewhere else, that all albums nowadays have the same digital master, so the quality difference between vinyl and cd does not exist anymore as it did in the past. Can someone confirm/deny this?

Also this would be the right place to ask. I read somewhere, not sure if it was here on the forum or somewhere else, that all albums nowadays have the same digital master, so the quality difference between vinyl and cd does not exist anymore as it did in the past. Can someone confirm/deny this?

This is partly true. Most (but not all) albums have a digital master, which would make you think there's no point to listening to it on vinyl, but you'd be wrong. Records still sound incredible, even if they're the same as the mp3 files you would get on iTunes.

For example, I pressed some records of my own recently. I had 4 wav files, all digitally recorded/mastered. I put them on a cd, sent them down to the record company and they pressed them on vinyl. The results were outstanding. The songs sound 100000 times better on the record than they did on my laptop.

There's just a certain quality that records have and nothing else does.

This is partly true. Most (but not all) albums have a digital master, which would make you think there's no point to listening to it on vinyl, but you'd be wrong. Records still sound incredible, even if they're the same as the mp3 files you would get on iTunes.

For example, I pressed some records of my own recently. I had 4 wav files, all digitally recorded/mastered. I put them on a cd, sent them down to the record company and they pressed them on vinyl. The results were outstanding. The songs sound 100000 times better on the record than they did on my laptop.

There's just a certain quality that records have and nothing else does.

Thanks for replying. I am baffled but your explanation though..surely one would think something digital would sound better well on a CD? Any reason why it should sound better on vinyl? I do hope to soon get a turntable and find out for myself though:)

Thanks for replying. I am baffled but your explanation though..surely one would think something digital would sound better well on a CD? Any reason why it should sound better on vinyl? I do hope to soon get a turntable and find out for myself though:)

I dunno, I guess it's the fact that the music has been physically pressed onto the record, unlike CD which is just digital files...

yeah, you'll understand when you hear a record yourself :P