✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Vinyl Freaks and Geeks

MrMagpie

Technicolour: Thanks so much for your post. Are the portable turntables just as good as ordinary turntables? What I mean is : would I get a high quality sound to my earphones?

I don´t have space for speakers at all (I live in a small apartment) and as I like to hear music , I prefer to use earphones anyway not to disturb my neighbors. Also I prefer portable gear as I probably will be moving in a year or so. Any links in Amazon for the products you mentioned? I hope it´s not too much bother but I am an absolute amateur when it comes to turntables. Thanks again!

Also this would be the right place to ask. I read somewhere, not sure if it was here on the forum or somewhere else, that all albums nowadays have the same digital master, so the quality difference between vinyl and cd does not exist anymore as it did in the past. Can someone confirm/deny this?

It's been awhile since I've used a portable turntable, but in instances when I have and used headphones to listen, the sound was just fine. As long as there is a decent stylus / needle hitting the record, the sound should be fine for headphones, irregardless if turntable is portable, attached to large speakers, etc.

Now since you live in an apartment and don't want to disturb your neighbors, you could probably unplug the headphones on your portable record player and listen at a comfortable volume. Of course, the speakers that are attached to portable turntables are very small, so you may not get a full rich sound, but that can be said for any electronic device. Imagine playing a soaring tune like "Viva La Vida" on your PC, then listening to it full blast in a club or high end stereo. That's not to say a portable record player can't give good sound, but don't expect it to blow your socks off. But again, if you're in an apartment at the moment, that's probably a good thing. You don't want the neighbors banging against the wall complaining of the volume . :)

Depending on your budget, you can get good quality portable turntables on Ebay or Amazon. Amazon stocks a lot from the company Crosley, but I would avoid those as they tend to be built rather cheaply and I knew a few folks to had them. They looked nice in a living room, but the sound and construction weren't that good. However, it's possible that this brand might work for you and the people who I knew got some bad ones from the factory. I don't want to tarnish an entire line of turntables, just passing along what I have found out from people who owned them. I wish I could recommend a good portable turntable, but to be honest, I haven't had much experience with them. I purchased a brand new Rheem portable turntable from Ebay about 10 years ago and used it a lot. It was awesome, and made around 1970. It was an old player designed to be used in classrooms but was never commissioned from the school district. I got it brand new for a song, I think it was only $50. Used it like crazy. It had a big speaker built in and sounded great. But, older players sometimes have tonearms that are super heavy, and the needle can dig into the vinyl and really degrade records over time. Luckily mine had a very light arm, but keep that in mind if you buy one.

You can always get a portable turntable, then later on, get a standalone one you can attach to a stereo system / receiver. Whatever fits your budget, living area, environment, etc. If you have some stores in your area you can actually go into (as opposed to just online places), I'd go and have a look around. You can write down the model types, prices, etc, then research them on the internet through Amazon, Google, etc, to see what customers have to say about the quality. And of course, to see if you get a better price online too. :) Then return to the store to buy it if you research and find your store has the best price and so forth.

Feel free to continue the discussion here or shoot me a private message anytime.

Italian Plastic gave a great response to your other question.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's mine.

I don't have a record player because they're expensive and I can't afford it hahaha.... but I love buying vinyls. Everything about purchasing a vinyl, even if it's online is like an experience for me :P

tumblr_lrusziP9Lr1qb13amo1_500.jpg

Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lake State - Sufjan Stevens

Calgary (single) - Bon Iver

Bon Iver, Bon Iver - Bon Iver

For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver

Blood Bank - Bon Iver

Boxer - The National

Exile Vilify/Think You Can Wait (singles) - The National

Alligator - The National

ETDIAW (single) - Coldplay

Crazy For You - Best Coast

Marry Me - St. Vincent

Actor - St. Vincent

Actor Out of Work - St. Vincent

Contra - Vampire Weekend

Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes

Also,

Strange Mercy - St. Vincent (sitting at home in the box it arrived in because i haven’t been home since it arrived ;___;)

Seven Swans - Sufjan Stevens [reissued, with a 7 inch including 2 songs from the SS sessions](recently ordered hope to get it soon ;___;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I have been a Coldplay fan since I saw them at Glastonbury in 1999 I have this record myself, but thought I'd share this link if anyone is interested? Seems cheaper than the others I've seen on there so far anyways, hope this helps someone out. Later potaters ^_^

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-Coldplay-Brothers-Sisters-7-Vinyl-/160665275948?pt=UK_Records&hash=item2568658e2c

• 3 months later...

bumpp.....

LP’s:

The Album Leaf-Into the Blue Again

Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavillion

Beach House-Teen Dream

The Beatles-Abbey Road

Coldplay-Parachutes

Four Tet-There is Love in You

John Lennon-Milk & Honey

MGMT-Oracular Spectacular

Modeselektor-Monkeytown

The National-High Violet

Other Lives-Tamer Animals

Paul McCartney & Wings-Wings at the Speed of Sound

Radiohead-Pablo Honey

Radiohead-The Bends

Radiohead-OK Computer

Radiohead-Kid A

Radiohead-Amnesiac

Radiohead-Hail to the Thief

Radiohead-I Might Be Wrong (Live Album)

Radiohead-In Rainbows (Boxset)

Radiohead-The King of Limbs

Thom Yorke-The Eraser

12” Singles:

Radiohead-Supercollider/The Butcher

Radiohead-TKOL RMX1

Radiohead-TKOL RMX2

Radiohead-TKOL RMX3

Radiohead-TKOL RMX4

Radiohead-TKOL RMX5

Radiohead-TKOL RMX6

Radiohead-TKOL RMX7

Thom Yorke-Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses/The Hollow Earth

10” Single:

Running Blind-Philip Selway (signed)

7” Singles:

Coldplay-Violet Hill/A Spell A Rebel Yell

Modeselektor-Shipwreck/Dull Hull

Radiohead-Nude/4 Minute Warning

Thom Yorke-All for The Best

So we just list what we have cause we're so pimped and all?

Explosions In The Sky - Those Who tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven 3LP

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Still Corners - Creatures of an Hour

A shitload of classical picked up from garage sales and mckay's including:

Pavarotti compilation

Gershwin

Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff Concertos

Schumann Symphonies

6 LP Toscanini misc. series

Operas: La Traviata (Verdi), Die Flederman (Strauss)

My collection:

The Beatles - 1

Coldplay - Parachutes

Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Eagles - Hotel California

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

And singles:

Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Congrats on people´s first vinyls! I think my first vinyl was an italian children record I desperately wanted and got my mum to buy me when I was 3! hehe Several vinyls followed, with somewhat better music content :)

In fact my first vinyl was The Smurfs, but it's now on the garbage. :lol: I think it was on 1983 or 1984.

Recently I received all the vinyl singles from Noel Gallagher. I'm going to take a picture and upload it soon.

My collection has finally taken flight and I am in the process of getting more, but I have currently;

12"

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto [Deluxe Pop-up Edition]

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

The Horrors - Skying

Portishead - Third

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Radiohead - Supercollider / The Butcher

The Verve - Forth [deluxe box set]

7"

The Boxer Rebellion - Step Out of the Car

I also have access to all the original Beatles records my Dad has, so many 7" and 12" singles, every album almost doubled, keeping them for me! :)

- planning to soon get, The National, Interpol, more Radiohead, Florence + The Machine, and other records that would just sound better on record

I have also pre-ordered the Martin L Gore and Vince Clarke collaberation VCMG - Ssss, coming out in March! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a public donation booksale at the local church today and got:

Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits

Otis Redding sitting on the dock...

Sinatra boxset

LP of original Disney songs

German drinking songs

The Sound of Music

Gregorian Chants

A bunch of misc. Classical

A 12 LP Beethoven Anthology (including every piano sonata, though I just released that some douche had taken out the LP that had both no. 8 and no. 14 on it :( )

all for exactly $3.00. :smug: