✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Where does ETIAW fit among classic songs?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can't remember: is there a TOS for the coldplaying forums? And if so, can users be banned for trolling and flaming?

"Trolling" is very difficult to pinpoint, and especially here, as all I've done is made a topic comparing this song to other songs, the thread vs Friday was closer to trolling then this, but it was simply asking for opinions.

I'll admit it's more of an experiment to see if Coldplay fans will actually blindly pick the new track over songs that have been classics for years. I'm not sure if this will happen, but I think it would have been a possibility when it was actually released on Friday.

But you'd actually consider it bannable to make such a topic? If I did LOTS of them and had warnings etc. and continued despite it clearly not being in the best interest of the forum, then somewhere down the line yes, but no, that's an insane suggestion.

Ah, it wasn't a response merely to this thread. But it seems clear to me that a good amount of posts are being made simply to generate and then laugh at the (over)reactions of those who like ETIAW.

But, yeah, I'd say this topic fits the definition: "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I got the idea to make it from that guy who did the parody of the lyrics thread, he wanted to see if people would pick Bohemian Rhapsody over it, the main point is to see if people will just pick anything. Because to be honest, the vote that took place just doesn't seem right, the majority of votes seemed to be in the 8-10 range and a LOT of the votes were within 24 hours, so it seemed like people instantly voted it brilliant. The opinions don't seem to reflect the votes, so it seems like a lot of people picked a high number without really thinking about it or participating in this forum, so it's just to see if that vote actually means something, as in some debates people are simply saying "It HAS to be a great song! Look at the numbers!!!".

Ah, it wasn't a response merely to this thread. But it seems clear to me that a good amount of posts are being made simply to generate and then laugh at the (over)reactions of those who like ETIAW.

But, yeah, I'd say this topic fits the definition: "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Actually this topic isn't even for discussion, it's purely to see the voting pattern.

Technically a lot of posts on this forum can be considered Trolling, so if I play by your rules and get technical- look at your posts so far, have they focussed on the topic? No, they haven't, you are de-railing it, if you have a problem about forum rules you aren't officially supposed to post them in the thread as that is irrelevant, you're supposed to PM a mod.

So I don't really care that you've posted it, I'm all for certain freedoms on the forum, but if you want to be a stickler for rules, you've just broken them yourself.

Indeed, you're right! :P

I'm just starting to feel sorry for the members that are getting so upset about the obviously contrived discussions.

FWIW, this question is actually pretty tough once I omit ETDIAW and Wonderwall.

I agree that this is the reason, but I don't know if I would consider that trolling. What makes it worse than the unfunny humor, is that response by those defending the song. Arguing what the song means/sounds to yourself won't change anyone else's opinion. If people would just simply refrain from responding, logic would lead me to believe that the posters would stop (provided they don't have a very boring, repetitve job haha)

I know what you mean about the members, after initially being very vocal about the song I realised one member in particular seemed like they may actually be stressed behind the keyboard, so I've toned it down a bit, I think most of us have after the original shock at how disturbing the single is.

On the other hand, someone such as Briggs is continuing to be very outspoken, and at the end of the day it is the internet and if people are so vulnerable that they can't read about their band getting abuse then that's their dysfunction, and the 'tough love' side of me thinks there are a lot harder things to have to deal with in life, so they should at least get over this.

I know what you mean about the members, after initially being very vocal about the song I realised one member in particular seemed like they may actually be stressed behind the keyboard, so I've toned it down a bit, I think most of us have after the original shock at how disturbing the single is.

On the other hand, someone such as Briggs is continuing to be very outspoken, and at the end of the day it is the internet and if people are so vulnerable that they can't read about their band getting abuse then that's their dysfunction, and the 'tough love' side of me thinks there are a lot harder things to have to deal with in life, so they should at least get over this.

I understand what saying here, but from the other perspective: wouldn't there a be more important things in life that getting a reaction from posters on a message board?

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to single anyone out (even though I quoted your posy haha), I'm just trying to put an end to this banter & bickering, and get the focus of the forums back to the upcoming release of the long-anticipated LP5.

And for the record, I do enjoy ETiaW. It was not what I expected, but it's fun for what it is: and uptempo summer single. Do I want it on LP5? No, because that means we get one more Coldplay song!

i've said this for years. there are coldplay fans that will fall over anything the band puts out. chris martin could record himself taking a dump and fans would think its great.

i think this song is just flat, doesn't really do anything.

First of all, <3 for making the thread. Second, I don't know how these other so-called "musicians" can compete.

I've never heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" before, but I listened to the first minute on YouTube and the piano is terrible. It doesn't grab me like "Clocks" does and get instantly stuck in my head and therefore sucks.

"Stairway to Heaven" is too long. I can't listen to any song longer than 4:01. Psst...4:01 is the exact length of "Viva la Vida", idiot. Sheesh.

"Imagine" had potential to be an amazing song, but instead it sucks because "Imagine" is way too simple of a title. If it were more creative, like "Imagine That Flowers Were Trees", I might like it more.

"Wonderwall" is by that stupid idiot evil band Oasis, right? That stupid evil idiot band insulted Coldplay and called them girly gay unfashionable sissies. Well I think they're girlier and gayer and sissier.

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" is a failure because Bob Dylan's haircut is stupid. He should take some hairstyle tips from Chris Martin.

Don't get me started on "Paranoid Android". Radiohead is the spawn of Satan and Thom Yorke wants to rape each and every one of you. Their songs are all boring and weird and I have no idea why people compare Coldplay to them.

"Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" is stunning. Bold. Innovative. Evolutionary. THE FUTURE. In fact, the more I listen to it, the more I realize how shitty "Sparks" and "Amsterdam" and all their older fluff really was.