✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is Charlie Brown THE BEST Coldplay song...EVER??

LetsTalk212

Why does everyone keep calling it a "pop" song? Just because Coldplay is a popular band doesn't make it pop. No, not in my view anyway. Though it is JUST mine and everyone has theirs. :P

When I think of pop I think of Katy Perry, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, the Black Eyed Peas, Ke$ha, artists like that. Artists who have that 'signature' sound that is commercial garbage and are all sellouts for the most part. Coldplay is nothing like that.

Even ETIAW isn't like that, despite what people say. Most pop songs today don't feature acoustic guitars, insane riffs, and "face-melting" (I don't know who came up with that but I still love it!) bass, plus it hardly even has a chorus. Charlie Brown is no more than a great alternative rock song as far as I'm concerned. I mean there's less sonic landscapes, less violins, less synthesizer sounds on these new songs than Viva at any rate.

And Coldplay write songs with raw and deep, heartfelt meaning to them. Hardly any (if any at all) pop artists do that. Coldplay's not out for the money or the #1 singles. They're out to make the best damn music they can and go places they're never gone before to fulfill their talents to the fullest extent. Even the vocal part on Major Minus isn't really pop- it serves an intrinsic purpose, creating the alienation and creepy, "somebody's watching me" vibe to the song.

Well written, but I'm actually gonna disagree. Yes, a lot of radio pop these days is devoid of actual vocals or instruments, but that doesn't mean that anything with a real instrument isn't pop. Synths have taken a huge rise in recent years but pop has been around for a very long time, long before auto-tuning and all that. And a song being "deep" (for the record, I love Coldplay but I hardly think their songs have any deep meaning) doesn't make it a rocker.

Ignoring the fact that I'm failing to think of a single "insane riff" or "face melting bassline" that Coldplay has, the majority of their singles have a pop vibe to them (with some exceptions like GPASUYF). Note that being pop doesn't make you a commercial sell-out. Lots of great pop artists emerged decades ago with legitimate talent. Unfortunately with ETIAW and Major Minus, I think Coldplay has taken a nod from some of the bad pop habits of the past decade rather than the good ones that made previous pop hits like Yellow and Clocks such a success.

I like Charlie Brown, for the record.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone keep calling it a "pop" song? Just because Coldplay is a popular band doesn't make it pop. No, not in my view anyway. Though it is JUST mine and everyone has theirs. :P

When I think of pop I think of Katy Perry, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, the Black Eyed Peas, Ke$ha, artists like that. Artists who have that 'signature' sound that is commercial garbage and are all sellouts for the most part. Coldplay is nothing like that.

Even ETIAW isn't like that, despite what people say. Most pop songs today don't feature acoustic guitars, insane riffs, and "face-melting" (I don't know who came up with that but I still love it!) bass, plus it hardly even has a chorus. Charlie Brown is no more than a great alternative rock song as far as I'm concerned. I mean there's less sonic landscapes, less violins, less synthesizer sounds on these new songs than Viva at any rate.

And Coldplay write songs with raw and deep, heartfelt meaning to them. Hardly any (if any at all) pop artists do that. Coldplay's not out for the money or the #1 singles. They're out to make the best damn music they can and go places they're never gone before to fulfill their talents to the fullest extent. Even the vocal part on Major Minus isn't really pop- it serves an intrinsic purpose, creating the alienation and creepy, "somebody's watching me" vibe to the song.

Stop reading my mind!!! :P

Great post, Coldplay rock, if they weren't so successful not a single person would label them as 'pop', not in the 'popular' term.

Why does everyone keep calling it a "pop" song? Just because Coldplay is a popular band doesn't make it pop. No, not in my view anyway. Though it is JUST mine and everyone has theirs.

let's see...

Alternative rock? is that a joke?. The song is great but it's catchy and upbeat and it is a pop song just like Viva or Lovers. Even the Backstreet boys have songs with electric guitars so that doesn't mean anything. Coldplay can't be called an alternative rock band since they released X&Y probably. Probably pop/rock would be a better term.

If pop for you is "commercial garbage" then you should listen to more music maybe. Pet Sounds is probably the best pop album ever and one of the best albums of all time and no, it's not "comercial garbage" as you'd call it. The Beatles also started their career by releasing pop albums. Pop is wide genre and just because you only know the music you listen on the radio doesn't mean the entire genre is like that.

and well, "And Coldplay write songs with raw and deep, heartfelt meaning to them. Hardly any (if any at all) pop artists do that"

seriously?

I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on

Maybe the streets alight, maybe the trees are gone

I feel my heart start beating to my favourite song

This could be an Nsync song.

Oh and I hate when people talk about some musicians or band being "sellouts" Coldplay makes millions, lots of money, just like all those acts you mentioned. Is that bad? of course no! it's their job and they deserve to get money for that. They're all selling their art and that's not bad per se.

Note that being pop doesn't make you a commercial sell-out. Lots of great pop artists emerged decades ago with legitimate talent.

This is the key phrase. I should've made a point to say how I basically meant pop artists since the early 90's and especially recently. But notice how I only mentioned those of today. I thought that kind of gave it away as to what I was referring to. Then again I suppose we all don't have crystal balls.

"I'm not gonna take it back. I'm not gonna say I don't mean that." Some agree and some don't with what I've said. And that's fine. You have a right to disagree. But I don't regret anything I've said here and I won't apologize for it.

let's see...

Alternative rock? is that a joke?. The song is great but it's catchy and upbeat and it is a pop song just like Viva or Lovers. Even the Backstreet boys have songs with electric guitars so that doesn't mean anything. Coldplay can't be called an alternative rock band since they released X&Y probably. Probably pop/rock would be a better term.

If pop for you is "commercial garbage" then you should listen to more music maybe. Pet Sounds is probably the best pop album ever and one of the best albums of all time and no, it's not "comercial garbage" as you'd call it. The Beatles also started their career by releasing pop albums. Pop is wide genre and just because you only know the music you listen on the radio doesn't mean the entire genre is like that.

and well, "And Coldplay write songs with raw and deep, heartfelt meaning to them. Hardly any (if any at all) pop artists do that"

seriously?

I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on

Maybe the streets alight, maybe the trees are gone

I feel my heart start beating to my favourite song

This could be an Nsync song.

Oh and I hate when people talk about some musicians or band being "sellouts" Coldplay makes millions, lots of money, just like all those acts you mentioned. Is that bad? of course no! it's their job and they deserve to get money for that. They're all selling their art and that's not bad per se.

No. :angry: It's not. What would you consider alternative rock? Do all alternative rock songs have to be miserable and brooding and sad? That's what you make it seem like. Because that's what Coldplay did before and now that they turned happy and joyous everyone makes it out to be a felony. As if alt. rock songs can't be happy or optimistic. How isn't it? It's no less alternative than Muse. And yes, I consider Muse to be as well. Just because you have electronic elements in your music doesn't mean you can't be alternative.

Again. I meant pop songs from the past two decades, this one especially.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've never been so offended in my life!! Even Satriani claiming Coldplay ripped him off wasn't this offensive! First off most of their songs are deep and heartfelt like I said. You're taking the whole band down with one piece of lyrics from ONE SONG. That's very fair of you. I didn't say every single song was, just IN GENERAL. They're not perfect you know. And no, it couldn't be an nsync song. It's not written for young girls to get 'excited' over. I'm pretty sure you're forgetting that part. It's not even close. Chris was never the greatest lyricist ever. But their music isn't 95% about trying to get adolescent girls turned on like nysnc's is. Which is completely disgusting on their part by the way. And I can't believe anyone has the audacity to compare the two. And nsync don't even WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS.. So how you can even write something like that is beyond me. :veryangry2:

Second. This " Even the Backstreet boys have songs with electric guitars so that doesn't mean anything" I really hope no one in Coldplay ever sees this. Especially Jonny. Because I imagine he'd be just as distraught to see such a mediocre comparison as I am. And how any fan of them could say something like that. This is worse than The New York Times tearing apart Chris' lyrics. This is worse than any Coldplay criticism I've ever heard in my life. I'd rather be called gay (from the retarded 40 YOV joke) than have people compare them to Backstreet Boys or nysync for that matter! If you're trying to say their about as alt. rock as BB then that is completely ridiculous. There's a better word for it but I'm so in shock right now I can't even think of it...It should be illegal to make this kind of allusion!!!

If people don't agree with me that's fine. Not everyone loves the band as much as I do and I am very aware of that from the past two months I've been on this site. But this isn't even a matter of agreement. The COMPARISONS. These are just the most unbelievable, unrealistic, uncouth comparisons I've ever heard of anything in my entire life. :bomb:

Maybe not. But their whole reason, like I said before, isn't to get people to like it like so many pop artists do today. They're partially worried about whether THEIR FANS will like it!! As is natural. But! Not how many #1 hit's their going to get and how many weeks they're on the Billboard charts and all of that garbage. Not how many 12 year old girls and 13 year old boys will absolutely beg their Mom's and Dad's to get this for them. Because that's what nysnc and the Backstreet Boys do. Their whole reason for making music certainly isn't to make the best sounding music they can like Coldplay's is. I can tell you that right now. That's completely preposterous!

:facepalm:

No. :angry: It's not. What would you consider alternative rock? Do all alternative rock songs have to be miserable and brooding and sad?

You're putting words on my mouth. There are happy, uplifting rock songs... awesome ones. It just happens that Charlie Brown and viva are pop songs... why is that so bad in your opinion? Both songs work great live and Charlie Brown is beautiful. I seriously don't get why you're so upset.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've never been so offended in my life!!

Well it seems your life is very easy then if this is the most offending thing ever for you... Congrats! you live in a bubble! why are you so offended, it wasn't something about you, it was an opinion about the band, nothing else.

And about coldplay lyrics, I could quote more lyrics but what's the point. Some of their lyrics aren't deep at all. I don't care really, I still like them but I hate when people claim they're OMG SO SO PERFECT AND THEIR LYRICS ARE SO PERFECT AND AMAZING

I just said the electric guitars thing because you used that as a reason why Coldplay is an alternative rock band. Again, I don't get why you're so offended.

It should be illegal to make this kind of allusion!!!

Are you a nazi or what? You have your opinions, I have mine. Even you said it was just your opinion but right before that you're claiming it's illegal to say some things... :facepalm:

And the rest of the post is as stupid, blind and fangirly as the things I quoted so there's no point in keep replying to this.

Anyway.

Musicologists often identify the following characteristics as typical of the pop music genre:

an aim of appealing to a general audience, rather than to a particular sub-culture or ideology --> check

an emphasis on craftsmanship rather than formal "artistic" qualities--> maybe

an emphasis on recording, production, and technology, over live performance--> can't say that yet we haven't heard the studio version

a tendency to reflect existing trends rather than progressive developments--> yes, nothing is so original in this song.

much pop music is intended to encourage dancing, or it uses dance-oriented beats or rhythms--> check

congrats we have a pop song here :cheesy:

Well it seems your life is very easy then if this is the most offending thing ever for you... Congrats! you live in a bubble! why are you so offended, it wasn't something about you, it was an opinion about the band, nothing else.

It's not- assumption. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who takes things negative about their favorite band worse than negative things about themselves.

And about coldplay lyrics, I could quote more lyrics but what's the point. Some of their lyrics aren't deep and all. I don't care really, I still like them but I hate when people claim they're OMG SO SO PERFECT.

Never said that- assumption. AGAIN. I praise them because they are my favorite band and all I ever hear where I live is people railing on them and how much they absolutely suck. How gay they are, how talent-less they are. How they could never compare to Lil Wayne, Drake or Eminem, Taylor Swift, the Zac Brown Band, or Sugarland. ALL. DAY. LONG. And no human being or whatever else you want to say is perfect.

I just said the electric guitars thing because you used that as a reason why Coldplay is an alternative rock band. Again, I don't get why you're so offended..

No...? Did you read what I said? I said acoustic. There is a difference.

Are you a nazi or what? You have your opinions, I have mine. Even you said it was just your opinion but right before that you're claiming it's illegal to say some things... :facepalm:

AGAIN. No. Seriously. Did you read my comment at ALL? I never said it IS. I said it SHOULD BE. And I was kidding. God.

And the rest of the post is as stupid, blind and fangirly as the things I quoted so there's no point in keep replying to this.

Fine. All you did the whole time was assume things and misquote me so. That works.

congrats we have a pop song here :cheesy:

Agreed. By that definition it certainly is... as is almost every other song ever made according to that. Good to know.

Siggy material.

Umm. Alright? I don't know what that means but I'm guessing you're suggesting it's something I should put in my signature? :confused: I have absolutely no idea.

And I'm really not out to be a butthead or make you feel bad/upset in anyway. I just really disagree with what you said and if there's anything that gets me fired up, it's when people say something about Coldplay that I take to have a negative connotation. Even as sad as that might sound.

It means I seriously think that was stupid, sorry but I do.

I can get people getting offended if someone insults their religion, political thoughts, etc. But Coldplay is just a music band, getting so offended because of some negative opinions about them isn't good at all, especially because they seem to get lots of bad comments from the press and even here. I really like them, they were my favorite band during my teenage years but they are not perfect and this wasn't even the point here really.

It means I seriously think that was stupid, sorry but I do.

:phu: :socks:

I can get people getting offended if someone insults their religion, political thoughts, etc. But Coldplay is just a music band, getting so offended because of some negative opinions about them isn't good at all, especially because they seem to get lots of bad comments from the press and even here. I really like them, they were my favorite band during my teenage years but they are not perfect and this wasn't even the point here really.

I probably do that too much. :P In fact I know I do. lol Just ask violetsparks, she'll probably tell you I'm pretty ridic. about it. Which is true. But I can't help it. I just feel its bad enough to hear constant criticism about them no matter where the hell it is I am. It seems literally impossible to get away from. And to hear it on a Coldplay fan site just makes it x10 worse, because I thought this would be the one place I could escape all the negativity surround them. Apparently not... and I wouldn't have freaked out as bad and said it was the worst thing ever like I did except you coincidentally compared them to the 2 artists I dislike more than any others ever.

Their best song? I'd have to say not. It's really great but I'd have to hear a studio version before I could say that. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost impossible to beat the melody of "Clocks" so. That's another part of it. I have a personal bias towards pianos a little bit over guitars.

I don't think it makes any more sense for people to get offended over religion or politics than music, as at the end of the day, it all comes down to different opinions.

For some people, music is their "religion", and it should be regarded as no more, or less important.

Some people really do worship "Christ" Martin, and they shouldn't be ridiculed any more than someone who worships the real Christ, if that's what they want to do.:D

Of course, I very much doubt there are Christian message boards which tolerate people ridiculing Christ. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.:P

There's a difference between being a fan and being a worshiper, though. And if you worship a band in a religious manner, you're blind to their flaws.

Exactly. And considering they're humans, that's just dumb.

I probably do that too much. In fact I know I do. lol Just ask violetsparks, she'll probably tell you I'm pretty ridic. about it. Which is true. But I can't help it. I just feel its bad enough to hear constant criticism about them no matter where the hell it is I am. It seems literally impossible to get away from. And to hear it on a Coldplay fan site just makes it x10 worse, because I thought this would be the one place I could escape all the negativity surround them. Apparently not... and I wouldn't have freaked out as bad and said it was the worst thing ever like I did except you coincidentally compared them to the 2 artists I dislike more than any others ever.

You will hardly hear criticism here without a reason. I think good and bad comments should have a reason. Someone who just says "bah! coldplay sucks" is as dumb as someone just posting "OMG COLDPLAY IS SO AWESOME". Hope you don't take this personal.

A little FYI to those who can't imagine that Coldplay would in any way be classified as pop.

If you have an iPod, go to Music --> More --> Genres --> Pop. Guess who shows up on the list.

It's never really bothered me how they're categorised. They're actually in a category all of their own, anyway, as they're unique.:P

A little FYI to those who can't imagine that Coldplay would in any way be classified as pop.

If you have an iPod, go to Music --> More --> Genres --> Pop. Guess who shows up on the list.

Itunes store says differently here.

Music > Alternative > Coldplay.

Just saying.. Also Boxes doesn't matter for me at all. I just know they aint the same as Britney Spears, Rihanna, etc etc. If you enjoy the music that you like, nothing else matters. Especially not what other people think of it. I have a little bro that keeps calling my music emo-music and calling me an emo, while I listen to such a broad range of artists. Then again, he listenens to rap/R&B/Hardcore.

Just enjoy the things you do, fitting music into boxes is timeconsuming and useless in the end.

There's a difference between being a fan and being a worshiper, though. And if you worship a band in a religious manner, you're blind to their flaws.

Replace fan with believer (or being convinced, with regards to politics) and you can easily convey this to religion, politics or anything else.

And what's important then is, whether you're open for other people's differing opinions/tastes/...

Uncritical worshipping is always connected with blindness. May it be love, religion, politics, being a fan or whatever. And that's not always a bad thing. One should try to be conscious of that and be tolerant.

I'd say Coldplay music is Alternative Rock, Rock and Pop to some extent respectively. I remember I bought my copy of A Rush Of Blood To The Head in the "Alternative" section. With the release of X&Y (=> increasing success as a band) Coldplay has been removed to "Pop/Rock" in that very store. And I think both of it is true because they have elements of both categories. And there's nothing bad about being pop. Nearly every successful Rock band is a little poppy.

cheap Pop: Boybands, Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars,...

Pop: The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Travis

(Pop-)Rock: Foo Fighters

Alternative Rock: dredg (pre- "Chuckles And Mr. Squeezy"...), ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Alternative Rock/Pop: Placebo, Muse, Coldplay

That's how I'd do it. But those things are arbitrary to a certain extent.

Replace fan with believer (or being convinced, with regards to politics) and you can easily convey this to religion, politics or anything else.

And what's important then is, whether you're open for other people's differing opinions/tastes/...

Uncritical worshipping is always connected with blindness. May it be love, religion, politics, being a fan or whatever. And that's not always a bad thing. One should try to be conscious of that and be tolerant.

Very well said indeed. As I said, there's no difference between them whatsoever. People who "follow" Take That or Coldplay and learn the words to all their songs and go to their concerts are no different from those who "follow" Christianity, go to church every Sunday, and can recite whole passages from the Bible.

It's just their choice at the end of the day.;)

You can't say that Travis is pop and Coldplay is not. Their music is too similar.

Did you read my post? I did say Coldplay is Pop, but not only.

There are some sligt differences between Travis and Coldplay.

Travis: Pop, with some singer/songwriter elements

Coldplay: Just what I said

I talk about Travis' "The Man Who", "The Invisible Band" and "The Boy With No Name" because otherwise it'll be mor complicated and it's just to illustrate what I mean.

And btw, I can say that ;) I'm not gonna feel offended and I think Fix42YellowClocks went a little over the top but I can easily see how people can feel offended by some of your posts.