✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is Charlie Brown THE BEST Coldplay song...EVER??

LetsTalk212

I like charlie brown a lot but for some reason it's basically the same riff over and over again - don't get me wrong it's a catchy riff, but I feel it'll be a minor hit but not viva la vida level for sure. I really do hope they have at least 2 other grade A quality kind of songs that could become worldwide hits that they're saving for the album. Right now, I don't see that with Charlie Brown, and frankly having this recorded for the Jimmy Kimmel Show tells me that it might be their next single released from the album. Overall, not a strong single like Viva that's for sure. I hope that's not the case bc they need a strong single which I think ETIAW was but not strong enough apparently.

Viva has the same riff throughout the whole song...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Charlie on Jimmy Kimmel, I always thought that piano part was the intro to Life is for living, but it might actually be the outtro for Charlie Brown... :lol:

I can't post a vid, but it's here: http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78409

Yeah, I noticed that three. Maybe Chris was a bit confused, because Life Is For Living has been after Charlie Brown since Rock Am Ring. And because of the jetlag :lol:

On the topic title, no, but I do like it a lot.

^Their worldwide big hits were not their best songs at all, in my opinion.

^ Agreed.

Yeah, maybe it was just a jetlag. :lol: I would like it ending in that piano thing though... That trick always works for me.

And I don't really think we can judge this song yet because it's too new and we never even heard a studio version. But I love it so far :D

Yes those songs do have the same riff throughout but with Charlie Brown there's no real chorus or acceleration into a release like In my Place - where Chris sings "yeah, how long must you wait for this... and Jonny kicks into a chord progression. On viva - it's strings that have a lot of different riffs underlying the basic chord structure, plus there's an obvious chorus, and the interludes are much better with all of the atmospherics courtesy perhaps of Eno. I don't see that with Charlie Brown - it's nice, i like it, i don't think it's their greatest song, and based on my impression so far it won't be a massive worldwide hit, it will be a minor hit for sure, but I would not release this as the next single, perhaps near the third or the fourth one.

Well I think you're entitled to say that you don't personally think it's their best hit. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't think we should venture on to say how successful it'll be though, because we obviously don't know...

I think, though, it's pretty fair to say (after the amount of attention it's been getting from fans) that it's by far the favorite out of the new songs played and therefore might be a potential hit single. Using that logic, I think fans have justifiably surmised it's potential outcome, but when you project the single's success on your own opinion, it doesn't hold much water because 1) know one truly knows it's outcome and 2) if everyone already likes it A LOT, then why would you ignore that? A single's success is based on the majority of people liking it.

We'll just see how it goes. I'll somewhat agree though. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall doesn't have a chorus, and it lacks much progression in the song. It's not very catchy to boot... which is what Charlie Brown has. Charlie Brown has a super catchy guitar riff and the lyrical value of that song supremely pwns ETIAW.

It's a pretty good song, but it doesn't really compare to the likes of Clocks, Amsterdam, The Scientist, Fix You etc. And the studio version will probably be an over-produced mess like ETIAW and to some extent Major Minus.

I don't think it'll be "over-produced" but I do think that a good amount of fans will be disappointed in it (there's no pleasing some people!). Some songs don't always translate well to studio recordings, imagine how Spanish Rain would look. Personally though I think Cartoon Hearts will be brilliant.

In A Telescope Lens, I dont think die hard fans opinons of songs always translates into the rest of the public buying into it, plus I've seen many times where songs are just hated or not as lauded by the die hard fans but give it some time perhaps a year, and they reverse their initial assessment of it.

Case in point, w/ ETIAW - which I think is a much more uplifting and exhilirating song than CB (and I like CB, but don't think it will be as a big of a hit). CB has a catchy riff but there's no other musical ideas really explored in the song except for the riff playing yet once again (perhaps except for the middle 8, but it's not really that interesting of a musical idea either (around "all the boys, all the girls"). Then cue the riff again.

Now look at Viva - starts with an ostinato of strings in a repeated chord progression, but there are nuances added to the layering of the song as it progresses - specifically in the strings itself, there are different riffs underlying if you listen closely in the 1st interlude, then 2nd verse, the strings are playing another riff, then another - it's brilliant. Then launches into the world famous chorus. 2nd interlude, has atmospherics perhaps courtesy of Eno. 3rd vers - the strings again, are a different riff, then the piano comes in. I mean this is an intricate song more than the same riff being played over and over (a la CB). Great middle 8, then launches into the global ooah, ooahs. I mean wow!

In my place (which they've tried to emulate w CB, it's got the same structure)- catchy riff, but has a great chorus w/ a great chord launch by Jonny. in the 2nd verse, jonny adds a subtle guitar part that's so simple but just adds so much (he is ridiculously talented at that btw). But the lyrics in the outro - sing it please, please, please, come back and sing to me, to me to me - that elevates the song even further - don't see that w/ CB (again I like the song, but as a single, it will be a minor hit, but this is coldplay, and they can do better, i think CB would be better as a 3rd or 4th single frankly).

And to defend ETIAW lyrics - it is totally relevant to the album's themes (as inferred from interviews, the outfits, inspiration) of hope in a desperate/despotic world, music as an art form of liberation/revolution against tyranny, and that we need to wake up to the important issues all around us though are not told through traditional media (groupthink) but alternative ones like graffiti, underground music, poetry, modern art.

"I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on...

And all the kids they dance, all the kids all night

Until Monday morning feels another life...

From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song

Don't want to see another generation drop

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"

It's an amazing song, which begins with simple synth chords but then elevates itself into an exhilirating and uplifting catharsis - jonny's amazing guitar riff which then accelerates into a great rhythmic idea in both the acoustic and electric guitars, adds more layers with the bass and the drums and we've taken off. Even though it may not have a traditional chorus (more near the end) it has the lyrical melody that makes it a great song. The end is amazing, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and ends w/ a great drum solo. Beautiful.

CB - is a good song, but again musically (ideas) there's not much there. The lyrics I'm still trying to break down, but it sounds like a young guy being initiated into an underground movement (perhaps the protagonist of the album's concept/story) in a very Big Brother type of society. He decides to find out the truth for himself, and this group shows it to him. Then the lyrics reflect the passion to fight against tyranny, and to have hope in a desperate world. In the process, perhaps he falls in love with another member, and though the world is not great, they have hope, passion, and their love may be a beacon/light in the world of darkness (we'll be glowing in the dark).

All in all, I am super excited about this upcoming album, and want them to be successful, they truly are one of the great modern bands, and perhaps will be remembered like u2 and the beatles. I enjoy these discussion tremendously, but too often i see groupthink on here w/ regards to songs being crap and everyone piles on - in this case, ETIAW (which again is brililant,and musically there as well as lyrically). CB will be a good single, just not the 2nd one from the new album. it needs to be another song that we haven't heard yet - their 2nd ace in the hole. But i'm afraid it's going to be CB based on their recording for Jimmy Kimmel and essentially the introduction of the song to the American Media Market.

But regardless, here's to another wild ride on Coldplay's amazing talent.

^^ WOW DUDE!!! :D I'm sorry if I made you feel like you had to write a novel lol I hope I can someday write an analysis like that!!! You've certainly made me appreciate ETIAW a lot more.

I said this in another discussion, but I think it fits here to: During the last bit of touring for Parachutes, Coldplay played some unreleased material for their second album. The songs they played were Animals and In My Place, which are awesome songs, but they weren't as big as Clocks or The Scientist.

I think there's still some unreleased material from LP5 that is MUCH stronger than Charlie Brown (and ETIAW), so I think that's what is exciting... otherwise I can't really argue against you anymore.

Look, the studio version is not out, the live version may sound good (which it does), but the studio version could sound crappy, it's too soon, wait till the studio version, but still i'll doubt that it will b btter than ''Viva La vida'' or ''Violet Hill'' or ''Lost!''

In A Telescope Lens, I dont think die hard fans opinons of songs always translates into the rest of the public buying into it, plus I've seen many times where songs are just hated or not as lauded by the die hard fans but give it some time perhaps a year, and they reverse their initial assessment of it.

Case in point, w/ ETIAW - which I think is a much more uplifting and exhilirating song than CB (and I like CB, but don't think it will be as a big of a hit). CB has a catchy riff but there's no other musical ideas really explored in the song except for the riff playing yet once again (perhaps except for the middle 8, but it's not really that interesting of a musical idea either (around "all the boys, all the girls"). Then cue the riff again.

Now look at Viva - starts with an ostinato of strings in a repeated chord progression, but there are nuances added to the layering of the song as it progresses - specifically in the strings itself, there are different riffs underlying if you listen closely in the 1st interlude, then 2nd verse, the strings are playing another riff, then another - it's brilliant. Then launches into the world famous chorus. 2nd interlude, has atmospherics perhaps courtesy of Eno. 3rd vers - the strings again, are a different riff, then the piano comes in. I mean this is an intricate song more than the same riff being played over and over (a la CB). Great middle 8, then launches into the global ooah, ooahs. I mean wow!

In my place (which they've tried to emulate w CB, it's got the same structure)- catchy riff, but has a great chorus w/ a great chord launch by Jonny. in the 2nd verse, jonny adds a subtle guitar part that's so simple but just adds so much (he is ridiculously talented at that btw). But the lyrics in the outro - sing it please, please, please, come back and sing to me, to me to me - that elevates the song even further - don't see that w/ CB (again I like the song, but as a single, it will be a minor hit, but this is coldplay, and they can do better, i think CB would be better as a 3rd or 4th single frankly).

And to defend ETIAW lyrics - it is totally relevant to the album's themes (as inferred from interviews, the outfits, inspiration) of hope in a desperate/despotic world, music as an art form of liberation/revolution against tyranny, and that we need to wake up to the important issues all around us though are not told through traditional media (groupthink) but alternative ones like graffiti, underground music, poetry, modern art.

"I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on...

And all the kids they dance, all the kids all night

Until Monday morning feels another life...

From underneath the rubble sing a rebel song

Don't want to see another generation drop

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"

It's an amazing song, which begins with simple synth chords but then elevates itself into an exhilirating and uplifting catharsis - jonny's amazing guitar riff which then accelerates into a great rhythmic idea in both the acoustic and electric guitars, adds more layers with the bass and the drums and we've taken off. Even though it may not have a traditional chorus (more near the end) it has the lyrical melody that makes it a great song. The end is amazing, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and ends w/ a great drum solo. Beautiful.

CB - is a good song, but again musically (ideas) there's not much there. The lyrics I'm still trying to break down, but it sounds like a young guy being initiated into an underground movement (perhaps the protagonist of the album's concept/story) in a very Big Brother type of society. He decides to find out the truth for himself, and this group shows it to him. Then the lyrics reflect the passion to fight against tyranny, and to have hope in a desperate world. In the process, perhaps he falls in love with another member, and though the world is not great, they have hope, passion, and their love may be a beacon/light in the world of darkness (we'll be glowing in the dark).

All in all, I am super excited about this upcoming album, and want them to be successful, they truly are one of the great modern bands, and perhaps will be remembered like u2 and the beatles. I enjoy these discussion tremendously, but too often i see groupthink on here w/ regards to songs being crap and everyone piles on - in this case, ETIAW (which again is brililant,and musically there as well as lyrically). CB will be a good single, just not the 2nd one from the new album. it needs to be another song that we haven't heard yet - their 2nd ace in the hole. But i'm afraid it's going to be CB based on their recording for Jimmy Kimmel and essentially the introduction of the song to the American Media Market.

But regardless, here's to another wild ride on Coldplay's amazing talent.

Nice reviews! I totally agree with everything on ETIAW and the rest of the songs! But actually I belive Viva became a hit because it has its bells. And so CB will become a hit because it has a its very positiv catchy melody. It's that simple with the mass of immusical radio listeners out there! :D

I was listening to Charlie Brown yesterday and I almost wonder if it is not a finished product. Does anyone think they may add a chorus to go with the songs main theme? I think one could fit in pretty easily and while it may not be as extensive as Viva's, I think one could be in there when we hear the studio version.

If not, fine, I still love the song and I doubt that it isn't a finished product at this point, I just think it potentially could be there when it is released as a single before the album comes out.

I disagree. Partially because I hate In My Place (in the running for "worst lyrics in a Coldplay song" award). :sick:

More importantly though, it's because I think that Charlie Brown is a far better song than Every Teardrop, lyrically AND musically. I think that riff is as close to the sound of euphoria as I've ever heard, and a chorus would just spoil it. It's pure, unadultured joy, harnessed in the form of a vamp. It's nostalgic and hopeful simultaneously, invoking so many childhood memories at once and almost bringing me to tears (and I never cry). Every Teardrop is also euphoric in a sense, but if the lyrics spoil it. And to me, it just isn't as touching... :\

:cry:

What I said doesn't even adequately describe how I feel. I generally enjoy listening to complex, intricate music/arrangements more, but every once in awhile, something so simple and beautiful will come along that the way I listen to music is flipped upside down again. THAT is what music is supposed to be, I don't care who tells me otherwise.

...That's not to say the song is perfect. Heck, I'd would do away entirely with the lyrics in the "all the boys, all the girls" bridge if I could, but I don't think anything can improve the intro.

:cry:

What I said doesn't even adequately describe how I feel.

Probably, but I get a super sentimental sensation when I listen to it, I was just thinking you described that feeling perfectly. There's only a few songs that can make me feel like that, and they're equated to some of the most emotional moments I've had in life.

I'm gonna sound stupid, weepy and mawkish, but I want to say that song evokes the types of feelings I get that only really emotional dreams have accomplished. Just that ONE guitar riff with the synths attached to it. That's why I think it's the best song.

Probably, but I get a super sentimental sensation when I listen to it, I was just thinking you described that feeling perfectly. There's only a few songs that can make me feel like that, and they're equated to some of the most emotional moments I've had in life.

I'm gonna sound stupid, weepy and mawkish, but I want to say that song evokes the types of feelings I get that only really emotional dreams have accomplished. Just that ONE guitar riff with the synths attached to it. That's why I think it's the best song.

YES!

:bigcry:

Jeez...I feel like such a wimp. *sniffle*

I disagree. Partially because I hate In My Place (in the running for "worst lyrics in a Coldplay song" award). :sick:

More importantly though, it's because I think that Charlie Brown is a far better song than Every Teardrop, lyrically AND musically. I think that riff is as close to the sound of euphoria as I've ever heard, and a chorus would just spoil it. It's pure, unadultured joy, harnessed in the form of a vamp. It's nostalgic and hopeful simultaneously, invoking so many childhood memories at once and almost bringing me to tears (and I never cry). Every Teardrop is also euphoric in a sense, but if the lyrics spoil it. And to me, it just isn't as touching... :\

You don't like In My Place? :lol: Me neither.

Every note counts.

Coldplay, the best band ever, ever. This band makes every single note count. Every note, every strum of the guitar, every run on the piano, subtle. Will banging like never before. This band is pure perfection. So layered.

You don't like In My Place? :lol: Me neither.

Nope. Haha, maybe "hate" is too strong a word...I just consider it a lyrical atrocity. Plus the music is boring and extremely repetitive. If you're going to have a riff repeated so often throughout a song (even during the bloody solo) then at least make sure it's one that never gets old.

Like Charlie Brown. :smug: