✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Paradise Listening Party - 7:50 A.M UK Time (Real time CHATROOM embedded in first post!)

Mark

I can't get why people don't like them sounding similar to OneRepublic (which I don't even think, but I love both Coldplay and OneRepublic). It's a fantastic new sound and if you really like the band, why not try liking their new stuff? Maybe it's fortunate, but I love every single one of their songs, no matter what they do, they won't loose me quite yet. Also Paradise I love already.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it! I can't believe people don't like it.

Now, don't get me started on those BBC1 radio jerks. I've already posted my hatred of them three other places. That was just ridiculous. I'm sorry, but no one here would make rude comments about the song as they are debuting it.

I loved it! I can't believe people don't like it.

Now, don't get me started on those BBC1 radio jerks. I've already posted my hatred of them three other places. That was just ridiculous. I'm sorry, but no one here would make rude comments about the song as they are debuting it.

I have just heard PARADISE by Coldplay and I liked it very much (my first reaction). Female voices in the chorus - probably the Pierces. Just beautiful

I felt like HEAVEN when listening to that song. I liked the intro wondering whether that was the new one from Coldplay as the song started out of the blue without introduction and I was unsure of the time it would be played (at x.50 BST). But it was PARADISE and I really felt like HEAVEN. Truly beautiful.

But having had the chorus with the Pierces on my mind since I heard it, I have come to realize that I might get tired of it after listening to it for some hours in a row.

Erm . . . well, it's different from what I expected. I wish they would have stripped away some of the synths and just left Guy's bass and Chris' piano--because underneath everything they sound amazing. All of the synth stuff (especially during the chorus) just makes it seem rather . . . soulless. I honestly think that this song could have been so much better had they stripped away the synths completely. I have a friend who loves Owl City. He would love this song. And that's not what I've come to expect from Coldplay.

I honestly expected there to be more lyrics than this . . . what lyrics there are aren't terrible, but there's far too little of them. Repeating the same verse multiple times does not count. I don't agree with the 'para-para-paradise' bit either, I hope Paradise and ETiaW are the only songs that use that.

Chorus = missed opportunity. Enough said.

Also, Jonny's guitar is featured far too little. Bring him out there, man! You have one of the best guitarists in the world! Use him!

Now, on to the things I do like:

Chris sounds amazing in this song (except for the chorus; it's so wrapped and layered in synths and he's in such a high register that it's a bit annoying) I love that he's singing in a lower octave in the beginning. Will sounds amazing on the backing vocals (as usual), and the full-band 'oh oh oh ooh's' never fail to make me smile.

For some reason, I really, really love the 'lalala' bit :wacky:

And despite what some people have said about including the 'every tear's a waterfall' lyric, I actually think it's a nice touch. It ties the songs together. It's far from the best lyric Coldplay has ever done, but it's a nice touch. I also like the line 'so she ran away in her sleep/And dreamed of paradise'.

---

Overall I give it 6/10

I love that the guys are experimenting and trying new things with their fancy Eno-fiers and stuff, but I'm beginning to get worried that they've gone a little too far. It seems to me that they're focusing more on making what lyrics/instrument parts they have sound better by layering on synths instead of going back into the studio with just a microphone or acoustic guitar, or sitting down together and rewriting a stubborn lyric.

With the exception of Major Minus and Moving to Mars, I haven't been impressed with anything Coldplay has done in this new era. I'm sorry that I have to say that because I really am that fan that would stick with them if they decided to write opera or country or something, but I'm afraid that they're losing the beauty and power of their lyrics and instrumental parts in favor of something that will appeal to the masses (and draw in more fans).

I apologize for the long post. :)