✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

It's clear: "Paradise" - made for new, not old fans

tauiwi

Moving to Mars > Paradise.

I strongly disagree. It's more something like this: Moving to Mars >>>>> all >>>>> Paradise.

I think the problem people are having is that they aren't remembering this is a concept album.

Theres 14! (or more!!!) songs that are telling a giant story, so it doesn't matter if each song doesn't have the worlds most thought out lyrics.

Of course, without listening to the whole album, we are missing the connection the songs are meant to have. But Paradise is a song by itself, which begins and ends. It's meant to be good by itself (it was released as a SINGLE, for Christ's sake), and it isn't a good song.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for Rihanna, I think people are over-reacting. She can sing (is she perfect? no), and have you heard Princess of China yet? Even though the live recordings have suckish quality, you can still hear most of the song. Its not like she will be raping about sex. She will probably share the lyrics with Chris.

I think it will be a great song. At least Coldplay and the Oracle seem to think so. And they are the only ones I will trust.

Oh dear.

I strongly disagree. It's more something like this: Moving to Mars >>>>> all >>>>> Paradise.

Of course, without listening to the whole album, we are missing the connection the songs are meant to have. But Paradise is a song by itself, which begins and ends. It's meant to be good by itself (it was released as a SINGLE, for Christ's sake), and it isn't a good song.

I LOVE your sig! (I'm a huge Genesis fan.)

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand the appeal of Moving to Mars. How can you say that Major Minus and Paradise are overproduced and embrace Moving to Mars as a "classic" Coldplay track? Is it just because of the piano solo in the beginning?

As for that guitar solo...it just makes me shudder. I guess Chris was just too lazy to sing the first part of the chorus, so he had Jonny play it. That tone...ugh.

Also, Paradise may not be one of their better songs...but I think there's no denying that the production is fantastic. Kudos, Eno. :clap:

Absolute :heart: :awesome:

And it's not like I don't like "poppy" songs.

Maroon 5's Moves like Jagger is stuck in my mind for days already for example. :lol: It's just that those new CP songs do nothing to me and the fact that I like the band so much makes it so much worse.

That's Maroon 5?

...I must hear the rest of their new material.

And that, fellow Coldplay fans, is what a change in sound ideally should be the reaction to if it's good, interesting and new.

It hit me after hearing the reviews on the radio.

THIS IS WHY CHARLIE BROWN WASN'T RELEASED FIRST.

Coldplay have deliberately created this single and marketed it first in an undoubtedly deliberate attempt to capture new audiences, as traditional fans would have already heard the new songs via live shows and webcasts (and hence would buy the album regardless).

Brilliant idea.

So to have established colplay fans being a little surprised by it and feeling a little underwhelmed was all part of the risk :)

The universe makes sense.

Great thought. You're probably right.

On one hand with that I'm like, oh great I'm going to have to listen to more crap about Coldplay being bland and mainstream and blah blah... And then on the other hand I'm thinking that anyone who cares what a bunch of hipsters think missed the whole point of music in the first place.

Also, Chris loves Timbaland. It's documented. He likes Justin Timberlake and Beyonce and so on. Sometimes being really true to your creative muse means going for what you really love and want to do even if it is pop. Maybe bottling that instinct up would result in the rock part of things sucking because they were putting limits on themselves.

On 5th listen, it's still not my thing, but that's fine. I don't think it's bad and I still have Charley Brown to listen to.

I LOVE your sig! (I'm a huge Genesis fan.)
Tracie! *waves* :D Hello.

I normally don't post but I've been reading a lot of hate. So coldplay released two pop singles, isnt that what radio singles are supposed to be? Moving to mars is gorgeous but is not meant for the radio at all. I like the melody in paradise and like that there's a strong piano part but I'm also a fan of hip hop (like chris) and think heavy synths and drums are awesome when done right. Every teardrop is a waterfall sounds like a coldplay song to me even though the beginning melody is rough. The only thing I'm not happy with is the lyrics of the two songs but nonetheless it's still good music.

I strongly disagree with the belief that coldplay is selling out. If the band likes hip hop, they're obviously going to have an influence of it on their own music. As a musician myself, its a lot of fun to play songs like paradise that have awesome beats, I completely see where coldplay came from in writing it. And sure the chord progression is basic but its got a heavy minor feel thats different. The melodys catchy but I still respect it as a well written melody. It's a cool song that will gain coldplay more fans and yet true coldplay fans still have the gems of moving to mars and hurts like heaven that arent standard pop at all.

Music in general has taken a new direction and though years ago I never thought I would say this, I really do enjoy hip hop and electronic music and where music is headed. Even though I'm not a huge fan of rihanna mainly because of her messages like S&M, she still has a great voice, though I would have preferred a beyonce coldplay colaboration instead (damn can beyonce sing).

Coldplays not selling out, theyre still making great music for their fans. And we havent even heard the freaking album yet. The new songs were amazing live and made such a great show. I don't want to sound rude but some people do sound like they're overreacting. Just try not to be like some older people who are so close minded and stuck on their classic rock music (I'm also not anti classic rock/older music, I love the genre and have even written a 30 page thesis paper on the beatles music progression) that they won't accept any song considered the genre of hip hop or rap. Good music is good music, not just a genre. Gosh it almost feels like I'm preaching to republicans about being close minded (sorry if that offended anyone).

I've been a coldplay for a long time and my favorite album is normally a rush of blood to the head so don't think my opinion is from the perspective of a "new fan."

Also, did anyone think that maybe coldplay made this song because they themselves liked it? Sorry for my rant.

I normally don't post but I've been reading a lot of hate. So coldplay released two pop singles, isnt that what radio singles are supposed to be?

But why? Why does Coldplay feel the need to have radio singles + attract a bigger audience? Why can't they just let their music speak for itself? Take a band like Arcade Fire for example - they don't exactly have the most radio friendly songs and yet their albums receive critical acclaim + still manage to sell out every show.

I really don't understand why people are hating on this wonderful just because it sounds too poppy. To me this a well written and crafted song that tells a great and powerful story. It gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. After listening to the 30 sec clip of the song the other day I knew it would be a GREAT song. It reminds me of Lost! and it definitely is one of my favorites already, and I've been a Coldplay fan for a long time.

I also don't understand why people are so angry because Rhianna is featured on Princess of China. Chris Martin and co. know what they're doing. I know they don't usually do this unless it's just Chris M being featured, but I'm sure it fits what the album is trying to convey. I don't think they would do it otherwise.

I would hate this song if i didnt hear any other songs off the album,

but ive heard like 7 and i love them all and they want to make a more popish song for radio i dont care. Theres 14 songs even if 3-5 songs are aweful and the rest are coldplay-great then itll be a fantastic album. People have taken coldplay albums for granted because were so use to them making every song great or at least listenable and unique, at least in my opinion. Coldplay is my favorite (I actually have different fav but that band is not for this discussion) is because, literally, i like every single song on every album and then some. Paradise is the first SINGLE (not song, difference IMO) that hasnt really grown on me.

I wait very impatiently for Mylo Xyloto

http://music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Chris-Martin-in-awe-of-Rihanna&nItemID=43983

Despite selling over 50 million albums worldwide, Chris refuses to take the group's success for granted. He realises that while Coldplay have plenty of fans, they also have their detractors.

"We're getting to the age where you've got to deliver or quit. Just because we were popular then, doesn't mean we are now,' he added.

"The thing you have to accept in return for having very loyal fans is you have a lot of other fans that want to kill you. And that's OK. It's hard to accept at first but after a while you have to be comfortable with it."