✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

It's clear: "Paradise" - made for new, not old fans

tauiwi

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew there was a reason when I first joined why I never posted a great deal. Far too many folk stuck in their narrow minded ways feeling like Coldplay owe them something rather than advancing their own creativity.

I must agree about a lot people feeling like Coldplay owe them to be a certain way, but I guess that´s the price to pay when you keep changing like Coldplay do: some people will get hurt

It hit me after hearing the reviews on the radio.

THIS IS WHY CHARLIE BROWN WASN'T RELEASED FIRST.

Coldplay have deliberately created this single and marketed it first in an undoubtedly deliberate attempt to capture new audiences, as traditional fans would have already heard the new songs via live shows and webcasts (and hence would buy the album regardless).

Brilliant idea.

So to have established colplay fans being a little surprised by it and feeling a little underwhelmed was all part of the risk :)

The universe makes sense.

That's a pretty astute observation. I never thought of it that way...it makes sense. Okay, well if this was their intention, then I can be happy with that. They did give us MTM and we are getting HLH and CB, so...I guess I can live with Paradise.

I knew there was a reason when I first joined why I never posted a great deal. Far too many folk stuck in their narrow minded ways feeling like Coldplay owe them something rather than advancing their own creativity.

I agree that people act like Coldplay owe them something. That being said, what they are releasing right now isn't 'creative' at all. It sounds like a great lot of commercial music that we've been hearing these past couple of years on the biggest mainstream radios.

I don't dislike Paradise, but knowing Coldplay, it is obvious to me that they could have done better or been more creative.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I heard Paradise. This song is for new fans and to get more mainstream (but why start to do that on the 5th album... I don't understand...)

And hopefully, the album won't reflect the first 2 singles. I still have a little hope with the songs we heard in festivals like charlie brown and hlh that there may be a couple of great songs on this album.

That being said, I am a fan since arobtth and loved everything they did, and this is the first time I don't like the first(s) single(s) of an album.

will we see another x&y? (too long and overproduced...) hope not... still hoping...

I don´t think there is such a thing as overproduction, just good or bad production :) No harm in using a lot of instruments, effects,etc as long as it benefits the song. I really start to think that people who don´t like MX songs might be preferring acoustic/slow music to anything else, which is fine, but it is a personal preference and not Coldplay´s fault for not meeting your personal expectations

I have to say I agree with the main idea of this thread, at least to an extent. This time around, they seem very keen on gathering up as many new fans as possible, at least at first, and Paradise is something that the average Top 40 radio listener will probably be drawn to. Not that songs that sounded more "Coldplay" to me in the past weren't something that radio listeners will latch onto, like Viva or Speed of Sound, but this really caters to what's popular now vs. what Coldplay are going to end up making popular later, and to me that's a shame. I think when you consciously start to target specific audiences when you're writing and recording music rather than just coming out with something that meets your standards, that's when you start to get into trouble. I don't know if that's what Coldplay actually did with this song, but it sounds like they really might have to me.

I have to say I agree with the main idea of this thread, at least to an extent. This time around, they seem very keen on gathering up as many new fans as possible, at least at first, and Paradise is something that the average Top 40 radio listener will probably be drawn to. Not that songs that sounded more "Coldplay" to me in the past weren't something that radio listeners will latch onto, like Viva or Speed of Sound, but this really caters to what's popular now vs. what Coldplay are going to end up making popular later, and to me that's a shame. I think when you consciously start to target specific audiences when you're writing and recording music rather than just coming out with something that meets your standards, that's when you start to get into trouble. I don't know if that's what Coldplay actually did with this song, but it sounds like they really might have to me.

Yeah ... some people here say we just have to let them do this, because they are doing it for themselves, but honestly, I don't think they are making their own kind of music.

It just seems so specifically aimed at a large mainstream audience, that it is hard to believe that this was really something that came from their hearts, that this is really the music they have in mind.

^Yeah, that's the thing--I may be being naive, but I don't fully believe they're doing this for themselves anymore, at least based on the few songs we've heard, as much as I like most of them. Unless they've all been struck by lightning, anyway :P

I really hope it's EMI's fault trying to release pop catchy songs to get as much money as they can, and they go back to normal for LP6 era. I wouldn't be surprised if they release coldplay bubblegum, lunch boxes or action figures soon.

Yeah ... some people here say we just have to let them do this, because they are doing it for themselves, but honestly, I don't think they are making their own kind of music.

It just seems so specifically aimed at a large mainstream audience, that it is hard to believe that this was really something that came from their hearts, that this is really the music they have in mind.

amen to that 100% correct

Music genres aside, all I can see is their music getting more layered, more happy with more percussions and more Jonny and violins. They will always still have their acoustic moments (see MTM and UATW), but I really don´t see the new direction as being anything more than evolution of sound.

Paradise is a good song. But I feel kinda disappointed because it's just the same thing over and over and Chris singing "Para para paradise". This is not the Coldplay I fell in love with. And what's that about Rihanna singing on PoC??? :o I mean, WTF?? Really??? Is it really necessary?? I can see this being a Chris's idea because I just can't imagine Will, Guy and Jonny in a song with her. They are trying too hard to be mainstream. I seriously hope the other songs on MX are AMAZING because now i'm really let down because of this news. It makes me miss the old Viva days...