✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

It's clear: "Paradise" - made for new, not old fans

tauiwi

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally did think the same about Viva, yeah, even though it was to a lesser extent than I think these things might happen with MX now.

Yeah, I thought the same about VLVODAAHF, not as much as about MX now though.

It's not about the genre of music, it's not about it being pop, it's about it being really simple.

I kind of see it as a movie with tons of special effects. Think about it ...

If you watch an action movie for example, you'll have tons of eye candy, there are just so many visual effects and you'll think "Wow! What nowaday's technology can do!". Most of those movies will leave you with a feeling of discontent though. Yeah, there were tons of awesome visual effects, but if you'd get rid of them, there'd be like 10 minutes of story left. And what about those characters? Couldn't they have been a bit "deeper"?

Now with ETIAW and Paradise I'm left with that exact feeling. It all seems to be blown up and like Coldplay discovered those means of creating songs electronically and just had to use them as much as possible. Instead of using it to support the uniqueness of Chris Martin's voice, his "character", it just completely overshadows it. Instead of letting Jonny tell a story with his guitar, like he did in, for example, In My Place (even if the riff was repetitive and easy), it's getting lost in all those synths and spectacular effects.

That is what I call overproduced and that is why I'm concerned about this new direction.

^I don't think every person that dislikes the change in direction just wants another Parachutes or AROBTTH, though. Not that that's necessarily what I think you're saying, I just feel like it needs to be said. As much as I love those two albums, I completely understand that there can't and shouldn't be a repeat of them. I just feel like most other bands I listened to that have had careers just as long as Coldplay's have retained an almost tangible common thread in their music, despite huge changes in style or direction. To me (and I know some people disagree), Coldplay hasn't retained a strong common thread so much, or only that common thread only turns up in a few songs these days, even as far back as the VLV era. To me, they also have seemingly changed some of their original goals and plans, for better or for worse, and I'm not as keen on the new ones out of personal preference.

This doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on them--they're always going to be extremely important to me, and I'll probably always go see them when I can and buy their albums, it's just that a lot of the reasons I originally became a fan aren't as prevalent anymore, both concerning the music and the way they run their band.

It's not about the genre of music, it's not about it being pop, it's about it being really simple.

If you watch an action movie for example, you'll have tons of eye candy, there are just so many visual effects and you'll think "Wow! What nowaday's technology can do!". Most of those movies will leave you with a feeling of discontent though. Yeah, there were tons of awesome visual effects, but if you'd get rid of them, there'd be like 10 minutes of story left. And what about those characters? Couldn't they have been a bit "deeper"?

Now with ETIAW and Paradise I'm left with that exact feeling. It all seems to be blown up and like Coldplay discovered those means of creating songs electronically and just had to use them as much as possible. Instead of using it to support the uniqueness of Chris Martin's voice, his "character", it just completely overshadows it. Instead of letting Jonny tell a story with his guitar, like he did in, for example, In My Place (even if the riff was repetitive and easy), it's getting lost in all those synths and spectacular effects.

That is what I call overproduced and that is why I'm concerned about this new direction.

I get your points, however :)

1- The visual effects on movie was a good example of what most people do and I will never understand it: judge a movie by how much or how little special effect it has in it. TO me this is pointless: I have seen wonderful emotional blockbuster eye-candy movies and shallow independent movies and vice-versa. It´s all about the story as you say: and a good story can be there, regardless of HOW the movie is made

2- I respect you feel this way about ET and Paradise and you feel them as shallow songs. To me they are very emotional, so I guess it´s all in the eye of the beholder (regardless of the production or lack thereof)

3- Chris´s voice stopped being the focal point since Viva as the band also said in interviews. They wanted to highlight the whole band and not just his voice anymore

4- Jonny´s riffs are alive and well in the new MX material. In my opinion he is more present than ever

I totally get you are not down with the new direction, but my point is that you don´t like the production, not that it´s overproduced. I for one appreciate the extra layers they are putting on the new songs.

Yes, yes, yes! Their music these days, and I think even since 2008, is designed to wow and impress with lots of flashy things happening. I just preferred less flashy things, both in music and live shows, and I think that was such a big part of their original brilliance--when they first came out, there wasn't anything like them that was popular, and their beauty existed in the fact that they could create these heartwrenchingly beautiful songs that sold themselves with four guys and (around) four instruments in a room.

I get your points, however :)

1- The visual effects on movie was a good example of what most people do and I will never understand it: judge a movie by how much or how little special effect it has in it. TO me this is pointless: I have seen wonderful emotional blockbuster eye-candy movies and shallow independent movies and vice-versa. It´s all about the story as you say: and a good story can be there, regardless of HOW the movie is made

2- I respect you feel this way about ET and Paradise and you feel them as shallow songs. To me they are very emotional, so I guess it´s all in the eye of the beholder (regardless of the production or lack thereof)

3- Chris´s voice stopped being the focal point since Viva as the band also said in interviews. They wanted to highlight the whole band and not just his voice anymore

4- Jonny´s riffs are alive and well in the new MX material. In my opinion he is more present than ever

I totally get you are not down with the new direction, but my point is that you don´t like the production, not that it´s overproduced. I for one appreciate the extra layers they are putting on the new songs.

1 - I didn't say tons of special effects make a bad movie. It is the case in many movies though. Take for example Transformers, it just overall has a bad story and lives from its special effects. That's how I feel about ETIAW and Paradise. They don't tell a story, they lack character, but they're being blown out of proportion with synths to make them look bigger than they actually are.

2 - I respect your opinion too and I'm not annoyed by you, because you are able to express your opinion respectfully. I'm however annoyed when people tell me to stfu and listen to the old albums them. I don't mean to spoil anyone's love for these songs, but as much as people have the right to express love continuously, I have the right to express my complete and utter disappointment. I am a true fan too, and that is the only reason I even bother to criticise.

3 - I didn't say that Chris' voice should be the main focus either. But if you check old recordings and compare them with live recordings, you'll see how much live and studio sound alike. That is in no way the case with the new songs. Chris' voice gets altered beyond normal sometimes and it just gets lost with all these synths and effects on his voice.

4 - Personally I think that Jonny's riff in ETIAW just seemed like something completely random and somewhat out of place. It seemed like they remembered in the last second that there was a guitarist and that they should probably give him a part in this song too.

Imke: It is nice to have civilized discussions for once. Something not seen often on the forum these days :)

As always , music is subjective: I love the new production and I think the new songs tell quite a story and speak to my heart. As for Jonny though, I really think he is very present in MX (see Major Minus) and personally I love his ETIAW riff. :)

Some people prefer simple things to flashy things. That´s just personal preference. I do not care either way: I actually like both as long as I can resonate with the music and preferably also lyrics

Imke: It is nice to have civilized discussions for once. Something not seen often on the forum these days :)

As always , music is subjective: I love the new production and I think the new songs tell quite a story and speak to my heart. As for Jonny though, I really think he is very present in MX (see Major Minus) and personally I love his ETIAW riff. :)

Some people prefer simple things to flashy things. That´s just personal preference. I do not care either way: I actually like both as long as I can resonate with the music and preferably also lyrics

That is good for you. (Not being sarcastic here, really.)

I cannot relate to this music at all though. I cannot relate to the lyrics, I cannot relate to this massive amount of effects.

I'm not coming here to spoil anyone's soup. I'm coming here to voice my utter disappointment to get some solace. And being told that that makes me less of a fan or just a hater, is annoying.

I cannot relate to this music at all though. I cannot relate to the lyrics, I cannot relate to this massive amount of effects.

I'm not coming here to spoil anyone's soup. I'm coming here to voice my utter disappointment to get some solace. And being told that that makes me less of a fan or just a hater, is annoying.

that makes two of us

In every album it have one song I like less than others...

But I love this band! I think we can't say that the album is not good because we don't heard it whole!

I think Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise and Us Against The World are very very very beautiful songs! :dance: And I'm sure I'll LOVE Hopeful Transmission, Up In Flames and U.F.O. :awesome:

I'm not fan of Princess Of China (not because of Rihanna, I think she's good but it's the style of song that I'm not fan...)... As I'm not fan of Fix You of X&Y album but in this, I certainly love Square One, White Shadow, Speed of Sound... :rolleyes3:

Don't like a song... Ok, but hate total album? Impossible! :)

It is also annoying to be labelled a sell-out or not a real fan for liking the new material. Trust me :(

I think that comments made without respect attract respect-less responses. As long as we all respect each other, there is room for any sentiment and who knows..we might even find a bit of common ground. Regardless, you get my sympathy. I can imagine I would be heartbroken if I could not relate to Coldplay´s new music but they are always changing, so we never know what´s coming next. And after all is said and then, if you still get MX, you might even like it enough to forget about the "bad" songs :)

And like I said before, if you miss Parachutes, just go listen to it. They don't need to make another Parachutes or AROBTTH. They've already done it.

Can you imagine doing the same thing over and over and over again? That would be a bore.

They performed pink pop song for girls:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcriZ9xzRvc]Coldplay (HD Live) - Can´t get you out of my head - YouTube[/ame]

THIS IS real COLDPLAY. Not EtiaW or Paradise.

I'm an 'old fan' from Parachutes who likes this song, but NEWS FLASH: It wasn't made for OLD fans, or for NEW fans. Much as they owe their fans a lot, it was made for THEM. Unlike real sell-outs, they make music that they believe in and music that makes them happy, and hope their fans believe in it too. Some will love it, others will hate it but Paradise was made for 4 guys who make up Coldplay.

I agree with everything you said, perfect comparison to movies!

I just wish that I could see a substance or deepness in the songs.

It's not there for me, there's no emotion when I hear the songs.

Other bands capture that better for me at the moment.

On top of it is Archive but I also want to put these two examples:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHNB-ktuOw]Band Of Skulls - Cold Fame (Album Version) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8OH8Uautpk]Fink - Sort Of Revolution - YouTube[/ame]

Absolute :heart: :awesome:

And it's not like I don't like "poppy" songs.

Maroon 5's Moves like Jagger is stuck in my mind for days already for example. :lol: It's just that those new CP songs do nothing to me and the fact that I like the band so much makes it so much worse.

I'm a Coldplay fan since Parachutes ... and I love the new era, and I LOVE Paradise.... I have 24 years old, and I actually like timberlake and one republic... so I think you shouldn't put a so sharp tittle to this thread because is a totally fake.

Sometimes I think the Coldplay fans are like.... no consistent with the band... like if some fans have a really different mind of the band... I mean, if you know the way Chris and the guys work their talents and the way to make music, I think their evolution is SO predictable... I mean the direccion... because they definitely know how to surprise.

I'm happy and proud of Coldplay.[/color]

CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH?!?!?!?!??!!!!

I think the problem people are having is that they aren't remembering this is a concept album.

Theres 14! (or more!!!) songs that are telling a giant story, so it doesn't matter if each song doesn't have the worlds most thought out lyrics.

I love Paradise, and from hearing all the songs they've released/played so far, this is Coldplay's true ROCK album. It will be amazing, and it will be played A LOT on the radio, which is the best thing that could happen. More exposure = More and better songs in the future. And they deserve it too.

And for Rihanna, I think people are over-reacting. She can sing (is she perfect? no), and have you heard Princess of China yet? Even though the live recordings have suckish quality, you can still hear most of the song. Its not like she will be raping about sex. She will probably share the lyrics with Chris.

I think it will be a great song. At least Coldplay and the Oracle seem to think so. And they are the only ones I will trust.

My name is Matthew, and Ive been a fan of Coldplay since I found out that the song on the radio was called Clocks, about 9 months before Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends came out. I bought X & Y and loved it. I got Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head and loved it. I got VLV and loved it.

And most importantly, I love the songs from Mylo Xyloto. Im 18 now and a freshman in college, and I can say that I am a true Coldplay fan. Ive listened to all their albums, know many of their lyrics, and appreciate them a lot.

So I thank them and say let haters hate!

I really liked "paradise". Of course it isn't a "parachutes" but still it is a good song. I'm and old coldplayer and knowing Chris I think it is just an strategy to gain new fans. It isn't that good but being a really fan you can understand and give every song a chance. I think that this album is going to be some kinda "too poppy for coldplay" but I'm sure that the next one is going to be like a "return to the roots" album. Trust your band! be happy! We are in this new era! every band has made at least one album that feels a way too different about the sound.

VIVA COLDPLAY!!!