✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

It's clear: "Paradise" - made for new, not old fans

tauiwi

It hit me after hearing the reviews on the radio.

THIS IS WHY CHARLIE BROWN WASN'T RELEASED FIRST.

Coldplay have deliberately created this single and marketed it first in an undoubtedly deliberate attempt to capture new audiences, as traditional fans would have already heard the new songs via live shows and webcasts (and hence would buy the album regardless).

Brilliant idea.

So to have established colplay fans being a little surprised by it and feeling a little underwhelmed was all part of the risk :)

The universe makes sense.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This song is for 15 year olds who listen to Timberlake, One Republic and other vacuous crap in that vein. I feel so disappointed to hear them put out this dross ahead of Charlie Brown or some of the other great tracks we've already heard : ( Especially as they are big enough to not have play these stupid music industry games.

This song is for 15 year olds who listen to Timberlake, One Republic and other vacuous crap in that vein. I feel so disappointed to hear them put out this dross ahead of Charlie Brown or some of the other great tracks we've already heard : ( Especially as they are big enough to not have play these stupid music industry games.

this.

Sorry, but in my opinion that's just such a close-minded view. I am 20 years old and I like OneRepublic a lot, been to two of their concerts. They just make good music. And if you don't like Paradise, I just don't get why you consider yourself a fan :P I love the song and think it sounds very different from OneRepublic or Timberlake. It's just a bit more modern sounding; and yet so great. (I also love ETIAW, btw...it's too bad, I'm a bad critics, because they can do whatever they want, I love it... :D)

Sorry, but in my opinion that's just such a close-minded view. I am 20 years old and I like OneRepublic a lot, been to two of their concerts. They just make good music. And if you don't like Paradise, I just don't get why you consider yourself a fan :P I love the song and think it sounds very different from OneRepublic or Timberlake. It's just a bit more modern sounding; and yet so great. (I also love ETIAW, btw...it's too bad, I'm a bad critics, because they can do whatever they want, I love it... :D)

exactly. why do people feel they need to insult a band to compliment another one?

I am an old fan - and yes I also think it is a catchy song. It is a bit too poppy for Coldplay - it does not really sound like them. It does really look like it is made for new fans - but hey this is important. There are brilliant songs on the album - but it is not Paradise. I agree with too much repetition in the song too. I am sure it works very well live. It is true - it is difficult to hate a Coldplay song.

I am an old fan - and yes I also think it is a catchy song but it is a bit too poppy for Coldplay - it does not really sound like them. It does really look like it is made for new fans - but hey this is important. There are brilliant songs on the album - but maybe it is not Paradise. I agree with too much repetition in the song too but am sure it works very well live.

I'm a Coldplay fan since Parachutes ... and I love the new era, and I LOVE Paradise.... I have 24 years old, and I actually like timberlake and one republic... so I think you shouldn't put a so sharp tittle to this thread because is a totally fake.

Sometimes I think the Coldplay fans are like.... no consistent with the band... like if some fans have a really different mind of the band... I mean, if you know the way Chris and the guys work their talents and the way to make music, I think their evolution is SO predictable... I mean the direccion... because they definitely know how to surprise.

I'm happy and proud of Coldplay.

It hit me after hearing the reviews on the radio.

THIS IS WHY CHARLIE BROWN WASN'T RELEASED FIRST.

Coldplay have deliberately created this single and marketed it first in an undoubtedly deliberate attempt to capture new audiences, as traditional fans would have already heard the new songs via live shows and webcasts (and hence would buy the album regardless).

Brilliant idea.

So to have established colplay fans being a little surprised by it and feeling a little underwhelmed was all part of the risk :)

The universe makes sense.

Sadly this doesn't make the song any less crappy...

Its a strange direction Coldplay are taking, they are release very poppy songs i believe to try and win fans in the pop market but they are also making great "old" style Coldplay songs like Major Minus/Charlie Brown/Moving to Mars.

I think these Paradise/ETIAW style songs are very deliberate to try and win new young fans and the pop side of the market.

I dont think Eno is helping the Coldplay sound,everything feels too watered down and if you compare the live version if MM to the studio, the live wins hands down and sounds much more rough and better.

All that said, i think the new album sounds great and i was someone who felt Coldplay had lost their spark with X&Y and VLV.

good point it does make sense. i just saw this comment on the youtube video

"Now this is a classic Coldplay song".........That really annoyed me :P but i guess it is working cause obviously this guy hasn't been a fan for a long time if he thinks that Paradise is a classic CP song......

Bloody hell, why dont you all stop moaning like little brats and actually wait a little for the song to make a greater impression on you instead of saying things that dont even make sense?

Yes, it does sound slightly more modern (not commercial, something that you can all too easily mistake today) than their other material, but thats a consequence of redeveloping their own sound.

What'd you expect them to do? regurgitate what they have already done over the last 12 years?? GET REAL.

Paradise in its own right is a masterpiece, and I think that the rest of the album will be even more of a true work of modern art. You go now and even listen to last few seconds of Paradise and try and i dare you to not feel as though you a being serenaded a lullaby by Chris Martin himself. Thats the beauty of this song, and (for those who say that they're changing in the wrong direction) moving people is what they have always been best at; something that they are evidently still doing now.

(and dont even come back and deny it, because then youll really look like idiots)