✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-Dec-2011] Coldplay @ MEN Arena, Manchester, UK

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short version:

Okay, so we went, and, it was like, really good, and they played that song that everyone likes, and then they played that song that no one cares for, but I liked it anyway because I don't know better, and also there were some cool lights. :D

Short version:

Okay, so we went, and, it was like, really good, and they played that song that everyone likes, and then they played that song that no one cares for, but I liked it anyway because I don't know better, and also there were some cool lights. :D

Best. Review. Ever. :D

I have loved Coldplay for years and managed to see them for the first time on Sunday night in Manchester and can i say just how amazing it was. Wow!!!!

Me and my girlfriend where lucky enough to get some standing tickets and we got pretty close to the front. The sound was amazing, the songs where awesome but i think the best part and the part which i probably will remember for a very long time is the flashing wristbands. I looked so good i was not expecting that it was a massive shock. I have just downloaded the Digital Tour pack and seen the video from the stage, the wristbands look amazing and probably does it justice more.

I wish i could get some more tickets for the o2, would love to see them again soon...

Looking back at the photo's from everyone makes pieces come flooding back.

Even after the gig we went into Manchester and the bar that we where in had an amazing atmosphere they where playing out some of the tracks and everyone was joining in, especially VLV (woohhooo bit).

From a very excited fan, cant wait to see you again

Peace out x

That could very well have been the best night of my life. Have followed Coldplay for years but never had the chance to see them live. Absolutely incredible, played all my favourite Coldplay songs and the flashing wristbands were just perfect.

Bring on June!!! :D

What an amazing show it was right up there if not better than any gig I've been to before, and for all the people moaning about the hour and a half running time and only 20 songs I'd much rather have quality over quantity any day,I've seen The Cure play for 3.5 hours and although they where very good it did drag on a bit they couldn't top what we all saw on Sunday.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the rear of stage seats where and didn't feel left out as the band all had a wander round the stage and acknowledged us throughout the show My daughter loved every minute of it and she can't wait to see them again .

From my previous experiences of seeing bands at the men that was loudest I've ever heard an audience and from the bands reaction I seem to think they felt that way to.

I just wish I was going to one of the summer shows but no can do.

If any of the band read this forum thank you for a truly amazing night !

best.coldply.gig.ever!

Hey guys, thanks so much for your pics and enthusiasm. Been a while since I came on the forums to relive gigs - you've all brightened me up again and made the memory of sunday even better! :D

I was so tired with work, having to get to Manchester and the ticket price, even while waiting for the roadies to finish setup! But from 99 Problems, knowing they'd be on soon...to Chris saying thank you and goodnight...it just flew! I could have sworn it had only started 5minutes earlier! That hasn't happened to me at a gig for a good few years.

5th and best Coldplay gig! I was (incredibly) lucky to be at the front for Coldplay at Glastonbury this year, where I cried - twice! But somehow, Manchester was better - I felt closer to the band (right by the B stage) and it was nice to have them play MX songs that I now know all the lyrics to and can sing along (mistakenly thought I'd try them fresh to my ears at Glasto, even though I always prefer knowing the songs of bands I go to see).

378631_537279623065_289400380_1191970_916909512_n.jpg

...and DAYLIGHT, and WHAT IF!!! Oh my God - it's like I'm absolved from missing their first 3 album tours! I was desparate to get an X&Y ticket back when I was 18, I'd got a bank account and went to the library (no pc at home!) to order a ticket...but the presale wouldn't take my visa electron D: and I didn't manage to get a ticket by phone!

Those two tracks...they've made up for the drama of that and a later Coldplay-phone-ticket debacle.

THANK YOU COLDPLAY, AND THANK YOU COLDPLAYERS!

Sorry this post ended up so long :/

Even after the gig we went into Manchester and the bar that we where in had an amazing atmosphere they where playing out some of the tracks and everyone was joining in, especially VLV (woohhooo bit).

Which bar did you go to?

What a night!

We were in the upper tier (214) and there was alot more people stood up for the whole concert than the last gig at the M.E.N

I loved the additions of Daylight and What If, If i had any complaints it would be the length of the set but im guessing by the time the stadium tour comes round the sets will be longer!

And as for those wristbands? How cool were they?!! We spent ages trying to figure out how to switch them on and then boom, the band come on and the whole place lights up!

Gutted we had to drive home after it though, we usually get a hotel when we go to concerts but never this time, its always good to enjoy the post concert drinks with other fans!

I have a feeling this was a special gig for Coldplay and they thought this was one of their best. Having seen Coldplay before, been to many gigs and been to the MEN a lot, that is the best I've ever seen.

wow! it's nice to hear that :)

I always thought i'd have to go to S.America to get such an electric crowd, as the band never seem as in-their-element from the shows I've seen in England...

I have a feeling this was a special gig for Coldplay and they thought this was one of their best. Having seen Coldplay before, been to many gigs and been to the MEN a lot, that is the best I've ever seen.

It certainly felt that way to me,the noise that the crowd made when the band took their end of gig bow made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end!

Which bar did you go to?

What a night!

We went into the Printworks not sure what the bar was called, first one we came too. I was to much on a high to notice.

The place was buzzing.

I have been talking about it to all my mates and probs will still be talking about it for weeks to come, it was so amazing.:D

Just updated my post below (and flickr) so that the images are a bit higher quality :-)

OK, it was a brilliant show - here are just a few shots:

6461948849_b67b6ff23c_z.jpg

PC043267 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461949935_883ebba2c4_z.jpg

PC043379 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461950551_7793695339_z.jpg

PC043493 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461897211_717ec4bb18_z.jpg

PC043578 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461950975_291015235e_z.jpg

PC043624 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461951621_f9cc0a185b_z.jpg

PC043704 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461954099_9cea6261ae_z.jpg

PC043955 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461953287_1363773c00_z.jpg

PC043850 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6461954099_9cea6261ae_z.jpg

PC043955 by PGMorris, on Flickr

6465687923_ddc7be0cbf_z.jpg

PC044017 by PGMorris, on Flickr

A great night and the best performance I've seen (out of 4)

I read a review that said they didn't do a great job in Glasgow, that they weren't really feeling it but if they read that same review then they sure made up for it in Manchester!

We were front row on the catwalk part of the stage, so close and it was superb. If I can figure out how I can do it I'll put my video of Viva on Youtube and post the link.

Review Part 2:

After about half an hour or so, the roadies had pretty much disappeared from the stage. Someone obviously cranked up the sound system as Jay-Z blasted out. The excitement really kicked in then! After Jay-Z, the main arena lights went out leaving a few small lights on the stage and the Back to the Future Theme started.

We were facing the stage entrance, and knew when the band emerged as the camera flashes erupted in that corner of the arena and the screams began. I don’t actually remember hearing MX, but as Hurts Like Heaven began the stage lights came up and the wristbands activated. Pic’s a bit blurry but you get the idea.

2011-12-04ColdplayMEN022.jpg

I’m not very good at remembering the order things happen, so the rest will almost certainly not be sequential!

I’m not sure when but at some point Chris made reference to the fact that the 2 Manchester’s two football teams are topping the Premiership.

Hurts Like Heaven was on my want to hear list and was amazing. It was the first of the tracks using the wristbands and it was like being surrounded by fairy lights.

Yellow was Yellow. I love the song, and the crowd were on good form.

I’m not particularly keen on Major Minus on the album, and the live version did nothing to dissuade me from that view.

Chris guitar wasn’t right at the end of Violet Hill, so we had to wait whilst he swapped, and then he let us finish off the singing at the end.

During The Scientist, Chris changed some words. I think it was “Come up to Lancashire”.

Til Kingdom Come was dedicated to The Stone Roses and towards the end Chris changed some words to mention Fools Gold.

Charlie Brown was another that was better than anticipated. I think I mentioned yesterday that I ended up jumping in my little seat bit. The atmosphere around the arena was buzzing so much by then that when Chris said he wanted people to jump refusal wasn’t an option!

It’s the second best Coldplay show I’ve been to, and the only reason War Child beats it is because it was front row with some amazing people and within touching distance of the stage. (oh and Gary was there too!) I don’t remember the arena having that vibe & energy before, there was something completely magical about it. I don’t know whether it was the fairy light effect of the wristbands on the new songs or the bright colours but something pushed it beyond.

I now have the coldplague so will sort out links to some of my fave pics another day as i'm heading to bed with a lemsip.

Thanks so much for the reviews and photos from everyone who was there - as ever they turned what would otherwise be 'just another Coldplay concert' into a shared personal experience that means a great deal :)

I didn't like the sounds of Daylight and What If being added to the set at all, seeing it as two wasted songs in an already too-short set, but after reading everyone's reaction I've changed my mind thanks to you all, and am thoroughly looking forward to hearing them both at the 02 gig on Friday (though I do still plan on making a bar/toilet run for Daylight :P)

Thanks a lot for the reports everyone - and what the Coldplay crew did for some of the early arrivers was simply amazing!

Really? I loved Daylight and What If in the set.

I think though that Coldplay need to stop pretending to be a pop band: IE they need to start playing two hour shows with less running around (Chris tires himself out!), more album tracks and more variety between shows.

For example, when I saw them in 2008 they played techno versions of GPASUYF and Talk, which were great.

Also, I think Don't Let It Break Your Heart, UFO, and Christmas Lights would have made it perfect for me. Why didn't they get played?

Never once have I heard them play Life In Technicolour 2, one of their best, or indeed Glasses of Water.

However, none of this takes away from the fact that it was a top notch show. I loved it.