✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Biggest Disappointment and Surprise of Mylo Xyloto

twitchy517

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointment: Up in Flames is a big disappointment for me. Repetitive, boring, and I don't really like Chris' voice in the song.

That leads to the second disappointment, Chris' voice in the album. Especially the songs where he sings with a lower/deeper voice.

Surprise: The rest of the album is really good.

Disappointments:

- Up In Flames - I listened to it on my H-Fi stereo system. Too much bass + sounds rushed and underproduced.

- Princess of China - As much as I love this song, I hope they release a "Rihanna-less" version.

Surprises:

- Hurts Like Heaven - The production on this track sounds amazing!

- Up With the Birds - I was not expecting such a well-formed track!

- Don't Let It Break Your Heart - Definitely single worthy material here!

Overall, I'd give the album an 8/10. It's better than Parachutes and X & Y but nowhere near as good as A Rush of Blood to the Head or Viva la Vida.

Disappointment

Overproduction, especially in Hurts Like Heaven. The live version is much better imo.

Surprises

Us Against the World

Up in Flames

Both these songs were much softer songs sung live so I reserved judgement for the studio versions and they didn't disappoint. I was worried that production would've hurt these two songs but they didn't.

As we all know, most of us heard the live versions before the studio versions on the majority of the songs (except ETIAW/Paradise/Major Minus). This made the expectations grow, and I can't remember being so excited about a album as I was/am about Mylo Xyloto.

Anyway, the only thing I'm a little bit disappointed about is PoC, where I think Rihanna was too much in it. The first verse with Chris is phenomenal, and after hearing the Rock am Ring-live-version I was so excited about it, but I guess it will grow on me...

Surprise - The whole album! People change, and so does Coldplay! Thank God for that! It has a very nice mix of everything in it, and I think it sounds like nothing we heard before! I am 100% sure that it will grow on us, just like Viva La Vida did on me.

Can't wait for the album to arrive next Monday! I give this album 10/10

Surprise: DLIBYH and UAtW--I really didn't like the live version of UAtW, but the studio version is heavenly :wacky:

PoC (and Rihanna's vocal part) is way better than I expected

ETiaW and Paradise sound much better in the context of the album

Disappointment: Chris' voice sounds . . . off, on some of the tracks. I can't really explain it, but there's a few songs where it seems like he doesn't quite hit the note. :thinking:

I could've done with a bit less production

I'm so sad with the production of this record.... :cry:

Disappointment: what do they did with chris' voicceeeeeeeee, bring his voice back!!! Hurts like heavem, could they change it just like the live versiiooonn!

surprise: princess of china maybe the best track (after some of underestimate going on), DLBYH sounds very brittish, and the half bit of UWTB i think sounded like Prospekt March era (glass of water)

i'll give 7/10 on second listen. still under VLV..

Surprise: Easily Don't Let it Break Your Heart. I mean, the lyrics are nothing special (though not TERRIBLE by Coldplay standards) and the title is still horrendous, but the music is beautiful. Loving the wall-of-sound production. Up in Flames is also far better than I was expecting based on the studio version.

Disappointment: U.F.O. is kind of...boring. The melody is completely forgettable. Doesn't stand up to other acoustic Coldplay tracks. Hurts Like Heaven's first guitar solo has far too much reverb as well (though I actually like the robot harmonies).

Disappointment- Up With The Birds and UFO- titles seemed amazing, songs don't reach that expectation

Surprise- DLIBYH is beautiful, and I love how the shorts tracks aren't random, but beautiful intros!

Read my mind, I guess when they say "don't judge a book by its cover" they mean it cuz i thought DLIBYH was gonna be the worse track when its arguably the best. While UFO, i don't get its purpose really why not build on what they had there it feels like they forgot to finish it.

Another surprise: the auto-tune backing vocals for HLH. Bad idea on paper. Awesome in execution. That makes a total of three songs in the history of man/that I've personally heard that make good use of auto-tune; the others being California English by Vampire Weekend and Lost in the World by Kanye.

Another surprise: the auto-tune backing vocals for HLH. Bad idea on paper. Awesome in execution. That makes a total of three songs in the history of man/that I've personally heard that make good use of auto-tune; the others being California English by Vampire Weekend and Lost in the World by Kanye.

I would add Bon Iver's Beth/Rest to that list. It's not autotuned all the way through, but there are these little robotic flourishes that are just beautiful.

Daft Punk can't be forgotten either. Just listen to Harder Better Faster Stronger and tell me it's not awesome.

I was dissapointed that it was only 11 songs and 3 interludes (though they are "cool" I would prefer full fledged songs).

14 full songs is too many for an (Coldplay) album, I think. It would drag on too long, that was X&Y's whole problem.

...on second thought, X&Y had way more problems than that. :laugh3:

Anyway, less is more, and I think Coldplay understands that pretty well.