✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Review] NME Rates Mylo Xyloto 5/10 [Scan added Pg. 3]

maricircus

See this is where I disagree. I don't really find Mylo to be all that different or radical, musically. At all the songs core, these are pretty simplistic tracks (in terms of the writing).

The electronic elements are nice, but don't really do much other then to dress up the songs.

Coldplay are never going to build songs around sound, they're not that kind of band. All production can ever do for them is enhance the songs they've written.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay are never going to build songs around sound, they're not that kind of band. All production can ever do for them is enhance the songs they've written.

Of course. But the point I was making is, the individual was saying that people that don't like the album, are people that can't accept a major band radically changing their sound.

And I disagree with this. I don't think the sound of Mylo is all that radically different from what we have heard before. If you compare say, X&Y to Viva La Vida, then that was a time where you could really point and say, wow the Band really moved in a new direction musically. Their songwriting changed for this album, and I could see people feeling torn.

With Mylo, I feel like the songs are pretty much standard affair for Coldplay. Very simplistic. And the Electronic elements really don't add much to the music. Whereas I felt on Viva, the new sounds they went for, actually had depth and expanded on their songwriting. Here, they feel more like decorations, that are just dressing up what is a pretty standard Coldplay album in terms of the song structures.

whether you love it or hate it its your own personal opinion not everyone can love the same thing it will be some peoples heaven as well as some peoples hell. I agree with the sounds haven't changed that much it still has coldplays trademark written all over it.

I personally hated it to start with it wasn't doing anything for me , after a few listens im totally hooked i simply cannot turn it off , some songs are alot better than the others still i will listen to the full album track after track and it still makes me want to sing along , i love some of the songs are really upbeat and like wow and some make you sit there and listen to the beautiful sounds and the beautiful lyrics. For me i think they have done an amazing job i sincerely hope that this isn't going to be the last album as i would like another massive shock when the next one comes out

There always seems to be a magazine, or reviewer, who just misses the boat on each album.. I remember when X & Y came out (and I am not hating on that album) Billboard gave it like a 10/10 and called it their masterpiece, when every other review was lukewarm. Such is the case here. NME missed this one ... and, I must say, missed it pretty badly

regardless of my opinion of the album, that is one of the worst reviews i have ever read. First of all, they don't even talk about the album til the last few paragraphs!! and all of the bullshit before they do is nothing no one has already said fucking 100 times already. they also don't even mention charlie brown which is one of the best songs theyve ever done and then claim there's no standout like viva la vida... i could go on forever but i wont, i just cant even believed that was allowed to be published.

Of course. But the point I was making is, the individual was saying that people that don't like the album, are people that can't accept a major band radically changing their sound.

And I disagree with this. I don't think the sound of Mylo is all that radically different from what we have heard before. If you compare say, X&Y to Viva La Vida, then that was a time where you could really point and say, wow the Band really moved in a new direction musically. Their songwriting changed for this album, and I could see people feeling torn.

With Mylo, I feel like the songs are pretty much standard affair for Coldplay. Very simplistic. And the Electronic elements really don't add much to the music. Whereas I felt on Viva, the new sounds they went for, actually had depth and expanded on their songwriting. Here, they feel more like decorations, that are just dressing up what is a pretty standard Coldplay album in terms of the song structures.

I mostly agree on this. The songwriting is below average and a massive cut below Viva. MX is boringly average at its core (UWTB aside), and it's seasoned with a thick layer of sweet sugar syrup, but that doesn't make up for anything, quite the contrary. The "packaging" with electronic elements show that they are trying to do something different, but to me it doesn't work out.

Note: even Charlie Brown bores me after hearing it for months. Why is everyone but me praising this - good, but not a lot more than that - song into heaven?

Now, I'm not trying to defend EMI or anything, nonono. Their review and general reputation is close to worthless.

It feels like I'm missing the boat along with some other fans, because I seem to be one of the few that aren't impressed. Am I really that wrong?

I definitely don't get how they can give X&Y 9/10, Viva 8/10 and MX 5/10 !!!

Are they out of their minds??!!!! Although I love all Coldplay albums I must say that Viva is way better than X&Y and so is MX. And on top of it, they call the album average but still to fail to deliver an insightful review!

But still, it's the only "not so good" review so far. And coming from NME, I couldn't care less.

You make it seem like every "reputable" source is giving MX a 10 and NME is the only one to buck that trend.

Mylo Xyloto currently has a 6.7 out of 10 aggregate rating (http://anydecentmusic.com/review/3804/Coldplay-Mylo-Xyloto.aspx)

Hey bud, that doesn't include a few reviews. Or reviewers like MTV who don't give it a quantifiable rating. The more you know.

As I've said before, I'm going to agree with the rating that NME gives it because staggeringly... That's quite a good number for a very popular band that is not Kasabian/Noel/Liam/Damon Albarn related by NME standards.

However, my qualm still stands with NME who don't actually review anything. Almost 75% of the text there is reviewing/moaning about Coldplay (which they will always do and they don't really miss an opportunity like that) and even when they do 'review' the album what they say constitutes absolute tripe anyway.

Per normal NME proves how irrelevant they are in music. Because as per normal they have self important arseholes who are bitter and cynical of the music industry doing what they do best... That is trying to suck the joy out of it for everyone.

You make it seem like every "reputable" source is giving MX a 10 and NME is the only one to buck that trend.

Mylo Xyloto currently has a 6.7 out of 10 aggregate rating (http://anydecentmusic.com/review/3804/Coldplay-Mylo-Xyloto.aspx)

To be fair that doesn't include many reviews, that being said I doubt overall it'll go much higher than a 7, if at all.

To be fair that doesn't include many reviews, that being said I doubt overall it'll go much higher than a 7, if at all.

Yeah it seems like reviewers or people in general either love it or hate it, we're seeing a lot of 9's a 10 or two and a bunch of 5-6 so an average score of 7-8 seems feasible. Although a lot of the 5-5 seem to be of the "This isn't Coldplay" or "I hate Coldplay vein". Even a few reviews that don't seem that bad but end up giving them a 5/10 lol. I can't wait to see Pitchfork... oh boy they'll probably give it a 1 just to stay relevant haha.

Actually a few of the reviews on that site have been around for about a month now (Spin and Uncut) so its safe to say those reviews were a bit pre-emptive only talking about half the songs.

Has this guy even listened to the whole album?

Mid-paced conservatism? This is their least conservative album yet! It's got Rihanna on it for god sake.

No stand out singles like VLV? What about Charlie Brown? I'd like to see his reaction when it hopefully goes to number 1 and becomes a massive hit.

NME are just a stuck up joke now really. They're happy to take advantage of Coldplay's popularity by making 'exclusive' Top 10 and interview videos, and then they slag them off. Bring back NME of the early 2000s...

Oh no you're totally right. And Chris is right too. A good song is a good song regardless of genre.

As for the standard of songwriting... You can talk about lyrics, but really? Some of Coldplay's songs mean bugger all, these songs have a theme and a message. Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Princess of China, Major Minus, Paradise and Us Against The World all have some of the finest melodies ever sung by Chris.

Oh, and the way Johnny and the rhythm section have pulled their game up for MX is worthy of at least another star on any reviewer's chart.

^What do they mean with magnolia anyway? Isn't that a flower or a movie with Tom Cruise in which at some point it's raining frogs?

Now, I'm not trying to defend EMI or anything, nonono. Their review and general reputation is close to worthless.

It feels like I'm missing the boat along with some other fans, because I seem to be one of the few that aren't impressed. Am I really that wrong?

Of course you're not wrong, I get you completely, though I will probably like it more than you do. :P (Only heard it once, not that impressed. Getting my copy tomorrow.)

I'm surprised it's getting generally good/ok reviews from fans. I think a lot of people had prepared for worse so they're just relieved it's better than expected. Which still does not mean it's a great album at all, but at least there's some songs that are really good, compared to the singles.

Apart from that, I have seen some people who feel the same way you do. Maybe you should have a look in the World Of Music section. ;)

^What do they mean with magnolia anyway? Isn't that a flower or a movie with Tom Cruise in which at some point it's raining frogs?

Not sure if you're aware of the colour outside the UK but it's basically a pretentious way of saying "beige".