Entertainment Weekly Review C+

Mimixxx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me Sum up every thread about a review on this site:

Your views are (different than/the same as)mine and because of that I (like/do not like) this review. This review is (great/stupid) and MX is their (best/worst album) ever.

Followed by the response:

No this review is (true/false) you are (wrong/right) my views are (different/ similar) to yours and this review. Therefore I will (be your friend/ murder your family).

I can assure you, since I spend most of my time cleaning spam up on here, that I'm not spamming.

It states clearly that it's an Entertainment Weekly review, so it's not like anyone is going be lured into thinking they're opening a review from an esteemed musical magazine.

The forum is extremely busy at the moment, we're not in a position to start compartmentalising reviews. Eventually things will get cleaned up, but for now, in the midst of an album coming out it's easier to have things where they can be seen to avoid duplicates.

I know you weren't spamming, never suggested (or meant to suggest) you were! I understand each new review will get its own thread, and needs to right now, as the forum is set up as it's set up. It was a general moan about all these useless reviews, with a dry, and very tongue-in-cheek, suggestion about how to get round the problem - not meant to be taken seriously!!

After reflecting a bit on what I said in my last post; I think almost all of these reviews are rubbish. I haven't heard the album yet, only the five or so tracks, but it's clear that those five alone would make it a decent album in most peoples' books whatever the rest were like. I don't think there is a 'reputable' music press as such. There are decent journalists and bad ones. Unfortunately most decent music journalists don't spend long on their respective publications, because if they're any good as writers they'll go on to other things.

Personally I'm far more interested in detailed reviews here from fans. And if well-argued and written I'd accept anything from 0/10 to 10.

Tldr version; any review giving the album 5/10 or less in the national press, or reviewing it in the equivalent of one or two paragraphs, should be totally dismissed imho!

This review truly is shit. All three "best parts borrowed from other artists" are arguably the weakest parts of the record. I can take a bad review, but not a 2 paragraphed piece of garbage that stretched and skewed what the record really is to make a (bad) point.

And if well-argued and written I'd accept anything from 0/10 to 10.

any review giving the album 5/10 or less in the national press, or reviewing it in the equivalent of one or two paragraphs, should be totally dismissed imho!

both sentences contradict each other. Why would you accept anything from fans but then only accept good reviews from the press? there are some very crazy fans around here and I think that taking them seriously is way more risky than reading some journalists'.

both sentences contradict each other. Why would you accept anything from fans but then only accept good reviews from the press? there are some very crazy fans around here and I think that taking them seriously is way more risky than reading some journalists'.

I think what was meant by those sentences is that any well-argued score is fine, but a 5/10 supported by two paragraphs (with only ONE about the record itself) from a nationally published magazine/website is garbage.

I think what was meant by those sentences is that any well-argued score is fine, but a 5/10 supported by two paragraphs (with only ONE about the record itself) from a nationally published magazine/website is garbage.

Makes more sense then. But I think that it's just the same if we talk about fan reviews.

True because the old-fashioned, conservative Coldplay-Fans who think they are the die-hard core while listening to Such a Rush and Co. don't like something with move forward character? The same question...

Wrong for me because of the sentence that Mylo Xyloto missed innovation in comparism to Viva. Sorry, but against Mylo Viva looks like the kind and shy daughter in terms of experimentation and variety. With all the different colors, genres and details we can clearly state this. (That doesn't mean that you eventually prefer Viva).

I can't stand most of Coldplay's music anymore. Just saying.

And "experimentation and variety" doesn't always mean quality. . .

edit: /lrn2notdigupoldcommentspls

Cite: The King of Limbs.

Er, I think the reason why TKOL wasn't quite as well received as most Radiohead albums post-Kid A is that it was maybe a bit safe, or lacking in innovation and variety for the band. There was no uncharted territory on it for Radiohead.

To address the point before, innovation and variety do however equate to a product that warrants honest and serious critical thought, which this review rather obviously lacks. If you can put your own reservations aside, it is wonderfully apparent that this review is an example of piss-poor journalism. Also, I would argue that any review of less than 5/10 (or its semantic equivalent) comes from a place that is less than earnest. MX, for Coldplay, represents an altogether new sound and style which is commendable, regardless of whether or not its your cup of tea. Their aim of creating something that they enjoyed while maintaining a degree of commercial viability is without doubt reached. While its unfortunate that some listeners have had allergic reactions to some of its methodology, go read Pitchfork (I do sometimes, though I find it less fulfilling than most pop music).

BTW, for all the new Coldplay haters, check out Life in Film. They're a good new substitute for Parachutes era CP.

Er, I think the reason why TKOL wasn't quite as well received as most Radiohead albums post-Kid A is that it was maybe a bit safe, or lacking in innovation and variety for the band. There was no uncharted territory on it for Radiohead.

To address the point before, innovation and variety do however equate to a product that warrants honest and serious critical thought, which this review rather obviously lacks. If you can put your own reservations aside, it is wonderfully apparent that this review is an example of piss-poor journalism. Also, I would argue that any review of less than 5/10 (or its semantic equivalent) comes from a place that is less than earnest. MX, for Coldplay, represents an altogether new sound and style which is commendable, regardless of whether or not its your cup of tea. Their aim of creating something that they enjoyed while maintaining a degree of commercial viability is without doubt reached. While its unfortunate that some listeners have had allergic reactions to some of its methodology, go read Pitchfork (I do sometimes, though I find it less fulfilling than most pop music).

BTW, for all the new Coldplay haters, check out Life in Film. They're a good new substitute for Parachutes era CP.

I've said this like a million times, but probably not many of us are expecting another Parachutes, but seeing them taking the easy route is a bit frustating. MX has some pretty good moments in my opinion, so it's not like they're a shitty band now, they still are very talented, but considering the single choices it seems they're just taking the easy catchy pop songs route. Actually I thought it was gonna be worse :lol:

I think EMI probably had something to do with the single choices, and maybe even the production on them. I do consent to a degree that the singles are weak, ETIAW aside, but the message all along has been that the new material is album-oriented. It is something very different for Coldplay if you ask me, to have an album that isn't built around strong singles. While its easy for them to give in to label execs who literally need the band to have hit singles, I admire the band's credibility in trying to satisfy themselves artistically while in essence doing their employers a favor. Especially when they are in a position where they can tell EMI to fuck off and not think twice about it.

a bullshit review is not even a review is writing like an opinion at least pitchfork mentions each songs and put a bad score.

guys dont put ridiculous reviews i waste 4 minutes of my life because of this.

Please, just read the review for what it is, and respect each other's opinions.. there is no right, or wrong opinion!

The thing I have with these reviews are that they're generally so short and... shallow. If someone can write a concise, well-argued review, then kudos to that reviewer.

I think EMI probably had something to do with the single choices, and maybe even the production on them. I do consent to a degree that the singles are weak, ETIAW aside, but the message all along has been that the new material is album-oriented. It is something very different for Coldplay if you ask me, to have an album that isn't built around strong singles. While its easy for them to give in to label execs who literally need the band to have hit singles, I admire the band's credibility in trying to satisfy themselves artistically while in essence doing their employers a favor. Especially when they are in a position where they can tell EMI to fuck off and not think twice about it.

I don't. EMI is in shambles. They can't afford to piss off any artist, let alone one that has almost single-handedly kept them afloat over the last 5 years. Coldplay calls the shots.

Oh here's a statement for thought that's going to throw fans into deeper panic fuelled turmoil!

"The world doesn't seem sick of Coldplay, but maybe they're sick of themselves." Entertainment Weekly review of MX

They aren't going anywhere YET... they've still got to tour the album to make the money back :lol: