✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do You Think Coldplay Is Done?

SonnyIanni

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one good thing that will come out of a breakup - a boxset of all the bsides, demos and outtakes. Apart from that, it would suck. But to answer the question, no, I don't think the band are done though I don't see them as being a band that will record and tour till death like The Rolling Stones or U2. Coldplay remind me more of Crowded House in the sense that Chris is almost obsessive compulsive over the identity, sound and reputation of the band just as Neil Finn was back in the day. Though Crowded House did recently reunite and have since released two albums.

coldplay seem to be the most relaxed, confident, and happy as they've ever been. which could mean one of two things:

1. They no longer care about what other people think and they are gonna churn out as many quality records as possible. They're meshing so well, why not take advantage of all this chemistry?

2. Or, they simply don't have a chip on their shoulder anymore, so they have less drive and hunger to get back in the studio and make another album. We've heard them say so many times: "We know we're finished when we feel like we're not hungry anymore."

and by the way, a solo album by chris would be aw-ful!

its the contributions from johnny, will, and guy that bring chris's ideas to life.

but do i think this is the end of coldplay? no. they still have so many types of albums yet to be approached...

coldplay seem to be the most relaxed, confident, and happy as they've ever been. which could mean one of two things:

1. They no longer care about what other people think and they are gonna churn out as many quality records as possible. They're meshing so well, why not take advantage of all this chemistry?

2. Or, they simply don't have a chip on their shoulder anymore, so they have less drive and hunger to get back in the studio and make another album. We've heard them say so many times: "We know we're finished when we feel like we're not hungry anymore."

and by the way, a solo album by chris would be aw-ful!

its the contributions from johnny, will, and guy that bring chris's ideas to life.

but do i think this is the end of coldplay? no. they still have so many types of albums yet to be approached...

Im curious...what approaches do you mean?

Im curious...what approaches do you mean?

like an album where the tracklisting is short but most songs are 5-7 minutes

a film like yellow submarine. (obviously, what mx was supposed to be)

an album like dark side of the moon where a large amount of it is imstrumental. and they have talking in the background.

an album like abbey road where there is a bunch of little stories and reoccuring riffs. (polothene pam, her majesty, mean mr mustard)

a christmas album ;) :laugh3:

an album with songs that are just jam packed with lyrics (Anti-Christ Television Blues, arcade fire)

mellow, singer-songwriter (jim croce)

so many things they can do. i'm not saying they should completely change to do an album like jim croce, but put a Coldplay spin on it. theres so many ways they can go still, after doing an electronica/pop, worldly/strings, acoustic/dream-pop, raw/rock n roll, synth/spacey

I don't think they're done, Chris Martin said himself, that he just can't get enough of writing, wherever and whenever. I can see them releasing a live album sometime next year, since the songs on MX sound so good live, then tour and maybe take a break. After that, they might end up doing that acoustic album they wanted to do. With this album, they tried to really make a bang and make sure that people knew they can make huge and exciting music, and I think they really succeeded. That's pretty much how I see things.

Chris once said he wanted to finish off the Viva trilogy. This may only be the second album to the trilogy, but maybe once they finish the third, it'll truely be over. I love Coldplay A LOT, I have practically grown up listening to them, but look at mainstream music now. It's all teen pop stars or people talking about sex or drugs, no bands. People have bad taste now. If Coldplay want to be mainstream, it'll get harder, their chance is lessening every year. I think thats the way Coldplay sees it tooo. But on the other hand, Coldplay is better than good enough to break that barrier, they did do it with Viva. Also they might think they have to drastically change (some people think they did for this album) in order to break it, but what if they change too much? Wouldn't you rather them make a few good albums and finish than become sellouts? I think if they continue or not is based on how badly they want it. Because we have to remember they have families too and its not like they have to work they are wealthy. So, yeah, I don't know if I made any sense at all. I hope I did! I just didn't know how to word it all. I hope I got my point across atleast :/

Chris once said he wanted to finish off the Viva trilogy. This may only be the second album to the trilogy, but maybe once they finish the third, it'll truely be over. I love Coldplay A LOT, I have practically grown up listening to them, but look at mainstream music now. It's all teen pop stars or people talking about sex or drugs, no bands. People have bad taste now. If Coldplay want to be mainstream, it'll get harder, their chance is lessening every year.

I remember Chris making those comments when Viva was released and frankly, since then, i've just learned to take the comments with a grain of salt. The discussion of MX being an acoustic album should be a reminder. I think the comments just stem from the fact that as they were back in 2000, they simply have no idea what to do next.

As for Coldplay in the mainstream, I couldn't care less. The last respectable decade for music (to me) was the 1990s as music sounded like it was being played in a studio, not scripted through a laptop. I'm disgusted with the state of modern rock and pop. The voices sounded live because not all of them were perfect. There was still an art to writing and performing your own music. Then there's the diversity. We had jangly pop rock, grunge, metal, RnB, rap, techno. I didn't like all those genres but at least at the time it felt less of a cookie-cut recipe and more as just a scene. That's totally unlike the industry now. Not that i'm claiming that didn't happen back then, but it's a heck of a lot more apparent in music now with auto-tune and Timberland-style backbeats. I'll stop here as that's another thread entirely.

But at the age of 26, I honestly believe i've found the artists that will define my music collection. I can't see my tastes being too much different in 40 years. If Coldplay stop charting simply because it doesn't fit the current model of what is considered popular, i'm fine with that. Though, judging from some of Chris' comments, I actually think it bothers him :(

proof: http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7662

What would happen if one of your albums underperformed? Would it be the end of Coldplay?

"Not at all! We're very happy with what we've done for this record. I've got no idea when it's going to be over and we don't seen an end to the band. I'm making the most it while I still can and working as hard as possible." - Will Champion