✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay nominated for 3 Grammy Awards // Paradise to feature on 2012 Grammy Nominees Album (pg.5)

Loki0012

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Loved the Paradise performance. Princess of China was not awesome but ok , I think partly as chris and rihanna had very little chemistry and Rihanna doesn't have such amazing vocals live and chris also was a bit shaky . Overall, it wasn't that bad. Paradise made the Staples Centre look like a Stadium show which was great! I think Coldplay better not venture into duets much after MX. I guess they have figured out by now they are not good at sharing the limelight, especially Chris..

TIME[/color]

MUSIC

The Best and Worst of the 2012 Grammys

We rate all of the performances from this year's music awards. We'll be adding to the list as the night goes on.

Coldplay, “Paradise”

By CLAIRE SUDDATH | @clairesuddath | February 12, 2012 |

coldplay.jpg?w=576

+

KEVIN WINTER / GETTY IMAGES

After his duet with Rihanna, Martin joined the rest of his band for “Paradise” off Coldplay’s latest album, Mylo Xyloto. As expected, it was bombastic and over the top. But Coldplay’s strength is its live performance, and boy did the group deliver. Even the jaded Grammy audience got into it, waving multi-colored light-up wrist bands as if they were at an outdoor music festival. This felt like a real concert, not a one-song performance inside an auditorium.

Grade: A

Chris Martin and Rihanna, “Princess of China”

By CLAIRE SUDDATH | @clairesuddath | February 12, 2012 |

+

rihanna_martin.jpg?w=576

MATT SAYLES / AP

Coldplay often relies on an unnecessarily big sound, so it was refreshing to here Martin sing accompanied by only a guitar. He and Rihanna are a bit of a mismatched pair, though, and their duet could have been more polished. Instead of a unified performance, it felt as if two superstars were giving completely separate performances of the same song.

Grade: C-

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/02/12/the-best-and-worst-of-the-2012-grammys/#chris-martin-and-rihanna-princess-of-china#ixzz1mEhLyp21

This makes me feel a bit better.

2012 Grammys: Rihanna Performs With Coldplay, Fans React

Rihanna stormed the Grammys stage on Sunday night with her new blonde do, kicking off her performance with the hit "We Found Love." Ri Ri, started things off solo, with only a piano to accompany her, before she launched into a full out party with plenty of backup dancers around. Coldplay would later join her for their collaboration on "Princess of China."

The performance kicked off like a scene straight out of the thematically dark video for the track, with the Barbadian pop star leaning against a wall looking troubled under dark lighting with only a piano playing alongside her as she sang the track like a torch ballad. Looking gorgeous — and giving off a Tina Turner vibe — Rihanna rocked the blond locks she introduced recently, wearing a tight, belly-baring ensemble.

The laser lights, LED screens and synths kicked up soon enough, though, and Rihanna welcomed dancers to the stage and lit into a high-energy performance of the dance smash that kept with the feel of the song, devolving into a full-on rave, with the pop star front and center.

Like many other performers and presenters at the show, Rihanna took a moment to honor the late Whitney Houston, demanding the audience, "Make some noise for Whitney!"

Soon, the tempo backed down and the dancers departed, leaving Rihanna onstage with just Chris Martin strumming an acoustic guitar. The pair then started into the televised debut of their Mylo Xyloto collaboration "Princess of China."

"Her bit on our record is my favorite bit. When the song came out, it sort of asked for her to be on it," Chris Martin told MTV News of the pop princess' involvement last fall. "And I think at this point, we have nothing to lose, and so we've been trying some new things and trying to break down the perceived boundaries between different types of music."

Coldplay finished things up on an upbeat note with their song "Paradise" and fans took to Twitter to share their reactions.

chescaleigh can the beach boys teach rihanna how to stay on pitch? thx#grammys

Davisturbia Rihanna's performance is the best so far @ Grammys 2012

NewDorkCity I hate to admit it, but Rihanna/Coldplay's performance was pretty cool. I kinda like Coldplay. And their duet was nice. #GRAMMYs

BonnieMcKeee Dude @rihanna's voice sounds amazing!! Get it girl! #Grammys

abbydavenport Rihanna really bugs me but at least she sounds good this year... well at first #grammys #DVRdelay

GQswaGGG Rihanna and Coldplay What a random collaboration ,but they actually sound good together I actually like this song #Grammys

kevingschmidt Rihanna & Coldplay = Awesomeness. #Grammys #InLove

MissSuccess This Rihanna/Coldplay performance was very well produced. I'm sold. #Grammys

jianghomeshi So the much publicized Rihanna-Coldplay #Grammys joint performance was Rihanna performing...and then Coldplay performing. *cough*

louisvirtel Rihanna and Chris Martin apparently believe "singing" is the same thing as "competitive weeping." #Grammys

http://www.mtv.com

PoC was as awkward as I expected it to be. And transitioning from slow-to-fast was jarring in both cases.

Paradise was better but still weak compared to them live. They all need a break because they seem to be overdoing it massively.

Also: very glad Foo Fighters nabbed the awards in the category that Coldplay were in. Sorry but ETIAW (not rock) winning 'best rock song/performance' verses 'Walk' (actually rock) would've been atrocious.

I'm not surprised Coldplay didn't win, I don't think they really deserved it tbh

and Holy cow, do you have a lot of awards at the grammys :wreck:

A lot of people seem to just hate on poc because Rihanna is in it but I honestly think it's better than etiaw and paradise, it's not a great song, but it's one of the only songs on MX I cand stand.

I think you guys are giving Rihanna too much hate! I'm not a fan of her music, but she wasn't horrible. Anywho, PoC was alright but felt awkward to me. I was really hoping that Coldplay would perform Charlie Brown but as you all know, they went with Paradise. I don't like their live version of Paradise at all! To me it feels slow and dragged out. The album version is much better but I can respect Coldplay for wanting to actually play the music instead of using fake recordings. I just think that the string instruments really make Paradise what it is. I thought Chris' singing for Paradise was a bit sloppy but from what you guys were saying, he wasn't feeling well (hope he gets better!). Overall, I think Coldplay needs to take some time off to relax. They've been playing at a lot of shows.

Back with AROBTH and even X&Y, Coldplay was a nice fit for the United States. Now however, I feel as if Coldplay has really outgrown the United States. By that, I mean a lot of their hard core fan base lives outside of the United States. I just think of Coldplay as more of a global band now. And I don't think that Coldplay gets enough respect here in the States either.

Anyway, I'm SUPER PUMPED to see Coldplay for the 3rd time in July at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C!!! I hope they get plenty of rest before they come so they're totally relaxed and energized.

MX is not strong enough like the other coldplay stuff so I predicted they wouldn't win , But I think we can bet on the boys to pleasantly surprise us in the future with a crazy amazing album again like ViVa (Rock not pop like MX which they aren't that strong at )! Love the boys and they will always be awesome! Fuck the grammys!