✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay nominated for 3 Grammy Awards // Paradise to feature on 2012 Grammy Nominees Album (pg.5)

Loki0012

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TIME[/color]

MUSIC

The Best and Worst of the 2012 Grammys

We rate all of the performances from this year's music awards. We'll be adding to the list as the night goes on.

Coldplay, “Paradise”

By CLAIRE SUDDATH | @clairesuddath | February 12, 2012 |

coldplay.jpg?w=576

+

KEVIN WINTER / GETTY IMAGES

After his duet with Rihanna, Martin joined the rest of his band for “Paradise” off Coldplay’s latest album, Mylo Xyloto. As expected, it was bombastic and over the top. But Coldplay’s strength is its live performance, and boy did the group deliver. Even the jaded Grammy audience got into it, waving multi-colored light-up wrist bands as if they were at an outdoor music festival. This felt like a real concert, not a one-song performance inside an auditorium.

Grade: A

Chris Martin and Rihanna, “Princess of China”

By CLAIRE SUDDATH | @clairesuddath | February 12, 2012 |

+

rihanna_martin.jpg?w=576

MATT SAYLES / AP

Coldplay often relies on an unnecessarily big sound, so it was refreshing to here Martin sing accompanied by only a guitar. He and Rihanna are a bit of a mismatched pair, though, and their duet could have been more polished. Instead of a unified performance, it felt as if two superstars were giving completely separate performances of the same song.

Grade: C-

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/02/12/the-best-and-worst-of-the-2012-grammys/#chris-martin-and-rihanna-princess-of-china#ixzz1mEhLyp21

Interesting how others thought the performance was "bombastic" and yet we criticize it to the wall. Granted it wasn't incredible like some other dozens of performances and shows we've seen the boys do, but it wasn't terrible (re: Nicki Minaj's onstage slaughter-exorcism, anyone?).

I would take our Chris' few flaws tonight over Chris Brown's auto-tune prerecording, any day of the week.

Coldplay needs to keep their heads up. This is why. Rihanna's performance of We Found Love, her singing and dancing. Then having to transition to PoC, a slower song. Having to get into a completing different style and tempo with Chris. An acoustic even. Was a lot to expect it to be perfect. Four performances in a span of four days. Can't expect each show to be flawless.

The bands transition into Paradise is nothing not to be proud of. Listened again to the television broadcast and nothing could be wrong about it and so they didn't win tonight. There will be other nights, I'm sure of that. : )

Interesting how others thought the performance was "bombastic" and yet we criticize it to the wall. Granted it wasn't incredible like some other dozens of performances and shows we've seen the boys do, but it wasn't terrible (re: Nicki Minaj's onstage slaughter-exorcism, anyone?).

I would take our Chris' few flaws tonight over Chris Brown's auto-tune prerecording, any day of the week.

UGH AND UGH @ Chris Brown and Nicky Minaj. Those were just pukesome, imo. Any yes, by comparison,Coldplay was much better.

Much as I love them though, this whole sequence of songs left me feeling off-balance and missing the band I know and love.

Hell, the camera crew only bothered with Jonny TWICE! Last I checked, he's a pretty integral part of Coldplay. Unless Chris just made that up...and he didn't. ;)

Can't agree with you more! Tonight wasn't perfect, but by far not the worst I've seen them do. Paradise was good. Princess of China was a bit awkward, but that didn't really surprise me. It's the first live performance of it they've done live together, so I'm willing to be forgiving.

I went back and watched the DVR, and I thought the boys did a good job. The whole Rihanna thing should have been scrapped. The boys do much better on their own. Chris held up his end of the bargain with POC in my opinion, but Rihanna didn't. Of course, ouor boys are truly LIVE and don't, thank God, rely on lip syncing and other tricks, so all in all, it was great.

Coldplay, you are the greatest!!

Chris wasn't playing live in PoC? At the very end of the performance you hear the guitar, but Chris isn't strumming..

I think he played live, but there was a second layer of acoustic guitar, either pre-recorded or played by someone else. i could tell during the song that there were two parts.

I think he played live, but there was a second layer of acoustic guitar, either pre-recorded or played by someone else. i could tell during the song that there were two parts.

Yeah, i think thats it. You can clearly hear a live guitar, if you know what i mean. After a few times of listening I also think there is a second layer.

Yeah, i think thats it. You can clearly hear a live guitar, if you know what i mean. After a few times of listening I also think there is a second layer.

I kept hoping it was Jonny playing it, but they would have shown him. I don't see why he couldn't have. It would have made more sense.

I personally think that the duet was crap. As much as I LOVE PoC, an acoustic version of this duet DEFINITELY does not work with Rihanna. It does with Jay-Z from the 52nd Grammys, but just not Rihanna. The acoustic version is 1000x better without her.

Also Chris looks good in black. :D

I have to say, I don't think Rihanna cut it live.. (no real surprise I guess) not singing PoC anyway, I FF through her song... Chris was light years ahead of her.. she was off key a couple of times, at least that's how it sounded to me and her voice didn't do the song justice.. IMHO..

I will watch it again now and see if I change my mind.. I wonder WHY they did it acoustic? It would have made sense, as the band was there... to do a full song, surely?