✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[6-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ Malieveld, The Hague, Netherlands

Mabru

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am at page 113 of this epic thread and halfway through writing a review, while two things are bothering me:

1. Why hasn't Phil tweeted anything about The Hague? Didn't the previous four, five shows get a shoutout? :sad:

2. My mum recalls Chris making some sort of gagging gesture, right before they took their bows. What was going on?

Did you seen this video?

Big Coldplay surprise at 3.40

Maybe someone can capture the Coldplay Malieveld Live video part

[ame=

]
[/ame]?

Kees

Update:

I have edited the video. So it is starting without advertising and i have added Dutch and English subtitles

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Have fun.

Kees

I am at page 113 of this epic thread and halfway through writing a review, while two things are bothering me:

1. Why hasn't Phil tweeted anything about The Hague? Didn't the previous four, five shows get a shoutout? :sad:

2. My mum recalls Chris making some sort of gagging gesture, right before they took their bows. What was going on?

THIS!

Copenhagen: Copenhagen, you were beautiful PH

Stockholm: Stockholm, you were a joy PH

Paris: paris - loudest sexiest crowd of the whole tour. you're going to look so beautiful in the film. PH

Cologne: Cologne, you were magnificent PH

:sad:

1st row, could almost catch Guy's sweat. Uploading my vids now. Don't know why turned off my camera right before they played Oh Oh Den Haag... stupid me. Me and my friend picked up much confetti after the concert, but we had no pink or green Charlie Brown and the MMIX symbol is also not anymore in the rain of symbols!!

On my way back home, the Hague - Emmen. Me and my friend stopped in Zwolle, where I found an Talk 7'' with Graviti :D

Oh no. you can hear my scream on the 3FM recording, right before Yellow, there's someone screaming AMSTERDAM. that's me haha

some pics of mine

Someone mentioned this? Chris said: see you soon holland!

waiting...

402345_412282388827787_2089189494_n.jpg

crowd

295139_412283625494330_563549786_n.jpg

Chris and Guy

223856_412272108828815_2044804011_n.jpg

Guy

581360_412284772160882_836004878_n.jpg

Will

545970_412285792160780_1067025164_n.jpg

Jonny

293028_412285365494156_590222058_n.jpg

Well, my review is done!

Be warned, it's really really really loooooooooong!

I didn't think I would remind so much, cause everything seemed a big blur afterwards. But thanks to pictures and the livestream, I was able to recall a lot a lot a lot! Btw, I hope all pictures in the review are in the right places...

So I'm giving you 2 options:

1st spoiler contains the full version, 2602 words according to Word. :D

2nd spoiler contains a summary

It’s September 6th, 5 am and I wake up to the sound of ‘Postcards From Far Away’ coming out of my phone. My alarm just went off.

Quite early, but today there’s no trouble at all to get out of bed. Because it’s the day I’ve been waiting for for almost 9 months! It’s the day that I’ll see Coldplay again!

I got out, put on my handmade Coldplay-shirt, prepared some bread to take with me, packed my bag, jumped into my car and drove to the trainstation.

There I took the train a bit before 6 am. I had some breakfast there and listened to Coldplay on my Ipod Shuffle. And the moment the train rolls into the city of The Hague, Viva La Vida cam on! How amazing is that, Viva at the moment you roll into the city where they shot a video for that song and where you’ll be seeing them in 14 hours! Great sensation.

A little after 7 am I was in The Hague Central station and I walked to the Malieveld, where soon I found Ellen, Row and Tash. It was really great meeting them. After all the fangirling online, I could now see them in person.

P9060075.jpg

We had to wait until 3 pm for the doors to open, which seems like a long time. But it really flew past so quickly! We met some other people, Imke, her mom and Jantine. It’s just lovely to be able to talk Coldplay for a whole day, really great!

We heard the crew doing soundchecks with recordings from Paradise in Denmark and Charlie Brown from Cologne (if I recall well). They repeated Paradise many many many times. Everytime it ends with Chris saying ‘I don’t wanna stop, I don’t wanna finish’, and they start the track again. After a while it’s getting quite annoying, but ok…

P9060088.jpg

In the afternoon a Merchandise-stand opened outside of the gates, so I went to take a look and bought a tour t-shirt and the tourbook.

It surprised me that it wasn’t really getting very busy as time passed by. But that’s ok, the less people the more chance there is to get frontrow!

A bit before 3 pm we stood up, the gates opened and security started preparing for letting everybody in. Then a bit after 3 we could get in, got our bags checked and went for the ticket scanners. And guess what, after queueing for so long, the ticket scanners didn’t work at our gate. You see people running from all other gates and we are stuck… I took some time till there were other scanners, but then finally we could get in. I grabbed a Xyloband (I got a green one) and started running. I tried to keep an eye on Ellen and Row who were already half way the field, but eventually I lost track of them. I couldn’t run all the way up front, cause I didn’t have enough breath. My lungs felt like they were in a cramp… But I made it into the Golden Circle and started looking for Ellen and Row, but couldn’t find them anywhere. After a few calls Ellen picked up, started waving with her banner and I found them. There were already quite some people there, who I tried to pass. And when I was almost there, there was one girl in between them and me. I asked if I could pass and she said NO! I told I had been waiting since 7.15 this morning, but she wouldn’t let me pass! I got a bit upset and angry, but after a while I decided to just let it and not let it ruin my experience. I even got to have a nice chat with the girl and some others around me.

And then the looooong waiting began. I sat a bit at the beginning, but after a while it got busier and busier so I had to stand up. 3,5 hours later it was time for the support acts, which were a lovely distraction from the pain in my feet and back from standing. Charli XCX was nice to watch, pretty much all the time you’re looking like ‘the girl is nuts’. Also Marina and the Diamonds were great, nice songs although it was hard to hear what she was singing.

After the support acts it was half an hour waiting and watching roadies prepare the stage, people climbing up to their spotlight-spots and Miller taking the panorama-shot. In the meanwhile I did some testshots with my camera to find out the best settings.

And before you know it, you hear 99 problems booming through those many speakers and you just start screaming and yelling. Back to the Future-tune hits in and you just go mad. Then the moment you’ve been waiting for so long, the boys come on stage. They are really there!!! The moment MX starts, the Xylobands light up, you jump in the air, tears stream down your face and it’s official. I’ve gone mental…

Hurts Like Heaven was just a waterfall of tears and joy for me, it kind of had to sink in that I was somewhat frontrow and that Coldplay was standing in front of me in the flesh! Of course at the end there was ‘Is there anybody out there, is there anybody out there?! I feel like we’re in Holland, I feel like we’re in The Netherlands. Is there anybody out there!’.

After that came In My Place, which was of course a fest with all the confetti and the Buckin going on. I’ve been dancing on my spot with my hands in the air as if I was standing in a torrential rain after months of drought. The confetti was also blown down the ramp to mainstage and a lot got stuck onto the huge screens behind the stage, that was funny to see.

Chris was hopping down the ramp and my heart just stopped functioning. Oh my, Chris is just a few meters away from me and and Oh my is he handsome and gorgeous! What a delight to see him and the others from up close, a party for the eyes I must say.

P9060125.jpg

P9060151.jpg

After IMP Chris said Hi to us with some Dutch words, really nice. And he promised us to play their ‘best fuckin’ concert in our lives’.

Then it was time for Major Minus, during which he requested us to give them our Dutch hand and he screamed out to the people at the back. Followed by ‘Now make some noise, make some proper fucking Netherland noise!’ and Jonny’s kickin’ guitar solo.

By this time you could already see from their faces that they were really up for making this a night to remember and really enjoying their jobs that moment.

P9060175.jpg

After that came Lovers In Japan and the grafittied-up balloons were bouncing around the audience. ‘Tonight maybe we’re gonna run, dreaming of the Holland sun’.

P9060190.jpg

After a random fill-up on the piano by Chris (new material???) it was The Scientist that started, during which last December I cried my heart out. But this time I didn’t, I was just to hyper and happy to cry or something. Just singing along, listening to Chris and the crowd sing along at the and was great. Chris agreed by saying ‘That sounds so fucking beautiful, you’re amazing. We have the best fans in the world and everybody know it!’

P9060194.jpg

P9060217.jpg

P9060235.jpg

After those sweet words it was time for Yellow with that wonderfull quite intro, after which (1,2,3, YO) it bursts into yellow-awesomeness. I totally forgot to scream coldplaying.com during the intro, I’m sorry Ellen. I was a bit distracted by everything going on both in- and outside of me… For a while I have just been looking up to the sky, why Chris sang ‘Look at the start, look how they shine for you’. Yellow was just wonderful as always.

P9060250.jpg

Then it took some time for Coldplay to get into the next song and the crowd started a short version of the Viva-chant, after which Violet Hill boomed in. Great headbounce-song :lol:.

And now its time for God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. ‘God gave me style, don’t ask for much. That my band play a concert in Den Haag, in front of 70.000 beautiful Dutch. God put a smile upon my face, God put a smile upon my face. Now let me see your hands in the whole place!’. And up all those hands go! Now you could really see Chris going hyper from the crowd and enjoying to the fullest. Jonny walked out on the ramp and they’d been hoppin together, lovely views and amazing guitar-solo again. I filmed the end of GPASUYF followed by the guitar-crash (Hoppy definetly has got a job to do…). Somewhere at the end of the vid you hear me yelling ‘Come on, throw the guitar! Smash it!’ Hihi.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tnt2Xe_IZM]End of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face by Coldplay - September 6th 2012 @Malieveld Den Haag - YouTube[/ame]

Then the boys moved to the X-stage where they performed Princes Of China and Up In Flames, not my favorites. But seeing it live really gives it something extra.

Last song on X-stage was Warning Signs, which I also filmed. When Warning Signs fades-out, Chris plays a little on his piano and all of a sudden the boy starts playing and singing a part of ‘Oh Oh Den Haag’, a Dutch song about the city The Hague. He sang the first lines in Dutch with a little laugh, which he pulled off pretty good, and then finished with ‘Oh Oh Den Haag, is really great for us to be here. Oh and we can’t wait till our band can come and play in Den Haag again’. My one and only reaction: ‘How about tomorrow!’.

P9060286.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPXocy8mOCM]Warning Sign & Oh Oh Den Haag by Coldplay - Malieveld Den Haag, 6 September 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Then back to main stage where, after some Olé Olé Olé Olé, Don’t Let It Break Your Heart got played.

And now: VIVA TIME! I absolutely love that song, so I filmed it all. After a intro from the crowd doing the Viva-chant, Coldplay gave us Viva the way it should be. Great lyrics, great music and Chris being all over the stage. As he is through the whole concert. Many times I found myself looking ‘where the world did the boy go?!?’ Also the Viva-chant at the end of the song was just amazeballs. Chris dropped himself down on X-stage, lying down, heavely breating and enjoying the sound of the crowd.

P9060319.jpg

P9060320.jpg

P9060321.jpg

At the end he said ‘Everybody put your hands in the air, hands in the air, put your ha-ha-ha,ha-ha-hands in the air’. Haha, Chris is having a great time with us!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOYtyO_1_M]Viva La Vida by Coldplay - September 6th 2012, Malieveld, The Hague - YouTube[/ame]

‘Now let’s go Will’ and Charlie Brown starts! Xylobands on and ‘Come everybody jump, jump, jump, jump, go!’ CB was just over 4 minutes of hands up, jumping, singing, glowing and pure delight.

After CB’s lovely outro it’s Paradise-time. The whole field starts clapping their hands. And when Paradise really kicks in (you know the moment, right?), you feel shivers down your whole body. Again you could really see them enjoying the gig, especially at the end when Chris says ‘I don’t wanna stop, I don’t wanna finish!’, he starts the Paradise-chant again and lets the crowd sing it acapella. I love the sound of that, as well did the boys I suppose. Well, if you ask me, This is Paradise! Chris ended with ‘You’ve been incredible, you’ve been incredible! Thank you so much!’.

P9060328.jpg

Then they all walk off stage and the crowd roars. People around me keep watching the stage and looking for the boys coming back on. I turn around and try to look over the crowd to find C-stage where they are heading to. People give me a crazy look and I tell them that they’re running through the crowd as we speak and they’ll play some songs at the back. ‘Really, seriously?’. Haha, lovely if people don’t know what’s gonna happen.

On C-stage they played Us Against The World, which was introduced by a crazy ‘Ah-ah-tshk-orrrrrrrrrrrrrraaa’ by Chris. Hihi, Chris is really hyped up by this amazing crowd. Let it all go boy!

I couldn’t really see C-stage, because it was right behind the sound-booth. So I watched them perfrom UATW and Speed Of Sound on the huge screens behind main stage, but it was still lovely.

Once they got back to the main stage it was time for the wonderful and glorious Clocks. I just love that song, it has such a beautiful melody line and it comes with a great lightshow. During the intro Chris shouted out ‘You people are fucking awesome, let’s go, let’s go!’. And after that you don’t have a chance, you need to dance, jump and sing along.

After a loooong first note of Fix You, Chris started the second note and stopped. ‘Sorry, I fucked it up! I’m sorry, let’s try it again. I’m so sorry. Nobody minds today. Ok, this is called Fix You, thank you so much’. He started again and made sure everybody would know ‘we’re gonna sing the end of this song so loud, they’re gonna hear us in Amsterdam’. Fix you was just lovely, it’s such a emotional and heartwarming song. I just stood there, sang along from the bottom of my heart, bounced my head and watched them play… The end did sound really nice.

P9060357.jpg

Unfortunatly, there’s always a last song… And as we know it’s always Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Which is a great energetic song to end with. I enjoyed to the fullest. I tried to do a little Chrissy-dancemove, but there was not enough space so I just jumped up and down. ‘I turn the music up, I’m on a roll this time, Holland is in sight!’ Chris was really all over the place and ‘hopped’ his heart out, lovely to see him having a good time. He ended with thanking the support acts and ‘Thanks to our incredible crew, thank you most of all to you!’. *Boom Boom Fireworks* Well Coldplay, you are more than welcome.

P9060385.jpg

P9060394.jpg

P9060418.jpg

P9060447.jpg

P9060457.jpg

And that’s it. They walked down the 2 arms of the stage, took a bow in the middle and Chris kissed the stage. Now it’s over. But no hard feelings, I had the time of my life and I feel so blessed to have been part of this great gig. A real privilege to have met those Coldplayers and to see my favorite band from up close.

P9060471.jpg

After asking a security guard to fill up a plastic bag with non-stepped-on confetti and giving Ellen, Row and Imke a big hug, I had to go, cause I had a little more than an hour to catch the last train. It sounds like easy, but with 68.000 people leaving the field that takes quite some time. Especially when just before the cental trainstation they put those crowd-control-barriers where they slowly let people pass.

But I managed to get in the last train, but as it left it turned out not to be the intercity-train. It would stop at pretty much every single station until Utrecht… So I arrive an hour later in Utrecht and there were no trains to Ede-Wageningen anymore. Together with about 60 other people we were stuck…

I found 2 other men who had to go to Ede-wageningen and 2 girls that had to go to Arnhem. Together we took a cab, but we had to pay 150 euro’s… But anyways, I was glad to be getting home, where I arrived at 2.30 am. I took a shower and got into bed with the laptop, read a bit of the live-thread and went into a well-needed sleep after being awake for 23 hours, hoping to dream of the Paradise I had been in that day.

It was great meeting some Coldplayers in real life and the show was just really, gah... How do you discribe this in a few words?

WOW, FUCKIN AWESOME, EPIC, AWESOME, AMAZEBALLS, OVERWHELMING, JOYFULL, SPECIAL, PURE PERFECTION, DREAMY (and steamy:sneaky:), LOVELY, CLOSE.... I just don't know. Just read the full review will you?

O

M

G

Jacolien what camera do you use because I am buying one! holy cow those are good shots!!

Oh my lord.. Sorry having to have a little sit down now....

It was lovely to meet you too honey, really lovely.. we had a great day really, and I hope your sunburn is better.. LOL..

I'm going to do my review today too..

A couple of my pics..

560502_4177518189698_1833930589_n.jpg

560497_4177513349577_1055246299_n.jpg

285505_4177509469480_578281670_n.jpg

304618_4177745915391_848226278_n.jpg

644360_4177743515331_103213021_n.jpg

310452_4177759955742_718561434_n.jpg

Short hair, glasses and she was wearing a short brown leather jacket.

Two dark haired women were standing next to her, they appeared to be a bit drunk and they kept screaming things to Chris. Maybe they were also standing next to you?

Short hair, glasses and she was wearing a short brown leather jacket.

Two dark haired women were standing next to her, they appeared to be a bit drunk and they kept screaming things to Chris. Maybe they were also standing next to you?

Ugh yes, those two drunk women were a few people down from me, they were horrible! They kept shouting to security to pick up everything they dropped as well, all woozy and everything.

The woman you have in the description there is the same as a woman two people down from me, she even helped hold my flag when Coldplay came to the C Stage! Did she have Brown hair? Because then I'm sure it was your mum :)

I told her about the flag but she she didn't see it : )

I think there were 5/6 people standing in between you and my mum because those women were standing to her right.

Oooh to the other side of the drunk women? Then I wouldn't have seen her, must have a different person in mind.

Mann , i just want to thank you other coldplayers again it was such a good night a real active positive and coldplay loving crowd just like in Ahoy and 10 times better than the gig in nijmegen 3 years ago :) It was great , * repeating the 3fm broadcast again