✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

Did they say Panic Station is a disco jazzy brass song?

that's what I heard :thinking:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__jKWoYH8]Muse - Survival - London 2012 Olympics Song - +Prelude - Full - YouTube[/ame]

the saving grace of this song might be 2:25

Pretty cool song, but I think it's a bit loud/aggressive to be an Olympic theme jaja. I kind of enjoyed the loud bombastic-ness of it, but it doesn't quiet speak to me like most Muse songs do. I kind of like it on first listen though. The prelude's amazing too.

Honestly, I feel like ETIAW would make the perfect Olympic song, is that weird of me? It's got a good rebellion/let's-kick-some-ass feel, esp in the second verse (although I guess ETIAW is predicated on things kind of sucking in certain ways).

So far I'm impartial to this song. The choir doesn't really annoy me that much, but there's to much going on. This could be helped if it had a really good mix, but I also think it's lacking in that aspect. I don't like the way Matt sings towards the end. Kind of sounds like he's goofing off or something. And I usually don't hate on lyrics but these are pretty cheesy.

The instrumentation is great though and the writing is alright. So yeah, maybe after a few listens, but upon first listen I'm impartial.

Call me stupid, but I'm enamored with "Survival."

Yes, you heard right. Enamored. It has so many things that I love in music. A common complaint is that there's too much going on. I've always loved stuff where you can dissect it and hear so many different things going on. It's why I like Baroque music so much; its use of polyphony and ornamentation makes you pay attention to what's going on instead of getting bored with it.

People have also complained that they don't like the choir. I, for one, am a huge fan of choral music (especially sacred choral music, which is weird in itself because I'm not religious, but that's another topic entirely), and I think it gives the song some depth. The amount of piano in there is pleasing to me as well, even though I felt like it could've been emphasized more in a few spots.

I'm not saying it's perfect, because it's not. When I heard it the first time (Thanks to Christina for the link, BTW), I wasn't sure it was Matt who was singing until it got to the first "I'M GONNA WIIIIIN." The first half doesn't sound like Matt at all. While I imagine a lot of that is because he doesn't sing in his lower register all that much, it was still kinda weird for me. Having said that, I agree with someone's previous comment (I think it was Sarah?) about the second half being much better than the first half.

So yeah. I'm a fan. I love it. Say what you want. Muse, welcome back. :heart:

This is epic :awesome: definitely beats the shit out of NSC and Guiding Light no matter what. That guitar solo :awesome: Only bit I'm not keen on is the backing vocals... at the "Race, it's a race" part I can't stop thinking of Bicycle Race by Queen...

Except it sounds like the choir is singing "Troll Ride, Troll Ride, Troll Ride..." :wtf:

Best Coast was a fun meme for a while. I even own the official Snacks the Cat plush.

Then she made a statement about how she wants to stop being known as the crazy indie cat lady who talks about weed, so then people completely stopped caring about her and realized how boring she is live.