✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

I liked the song in the begining, really it's an olympic theme, if it didn't had all that choir, strings and things it would sound weird :p, but then the song started to sound just more and more weird, it's kind of cheassy in some parts, reminds a bit of Queen, not one of their bests, but not their worst either. I have mixed feelings....I will listen to it more times this week, I'm really not sure if I love it or hate it, it's just weird.

Hey, Michael, I was just thinking about you. You said the new Muse song was "Every Teardrop Is a Muserfall." Would you consider doing what you did for ETIAW and writing a parody?

Already did it. Like, 30 minutes after the song first aired on Zane Lowe.

This song is such a grower. I wasn't too sure what I thought about it the first time I heard it, but now I've had a few more listens I think I love it! It's completely OTT and bonkers, but that was one of the things that first made me fall in love with Muse. It's bombastic and not in the least bit subtle which is exactly what a song for the Olympics should be IMO. As someone else said (can't remember who, sorry) i'm completely over the backing vocals at the start of the song now. The guitar is great and while it makes me LMAO I think the high-pitched, "I'm gonna WIIIIIN!" actually makes it TBH. :D

Welcome back Muse!!!:D

It sounds very old school that. Or maybe it's just me.

I don't hear anything from Resistance in it. :laugh3:

Really?

• Piano style = I Belong To You
  • The idea of "+ Prelude" resonates with the "+" Codas/interludes, Collateral Damage and Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ton Voix
  • The chord progression begins in the same way as Eurasia
  • The delivery of the vocal is quite Uprising - aggressivish, low, like fighting talk, almost

That's just me, but I thought it was very Resistance... but at the same time... approached differently to different to anything before.

Bit of a lot in there though; Absolution strings, Origin build, Black Holes solo, Showbiz... Nah they'll never do anything like that again.

OK, i got what I don't like about it, Survival just tries to hard to be huge, awesome and amazing...it makes United States of Eurasia almost seems like a Bon Iver intimist song. It was build to be a huge hymn, something between We Are The Champions and a classical piece but at the same time is not good enough to sound that huge, get it? I mean, if you want to play that big you need a trully great tune like Viva La Vida, Bohemian Rhapsody or even USOE and Survival is just not that good. I do hope that's not how The 2nd Law will sound like.

i kind of am in love with the new song, it reminds me of listening to B&R for the first time and hating everything about it but some of my favourite songs are from that album:shrug:

i hate the prelude though and unlike everyone else i hear more Abba than queen in the song

The USoE comparisons are what give me a shred of hope, because after USoE was first released after that scavenger hunt, I HATED it. And yet it was 50,000x better live, and most certainly the most improved track from The Resistance in a live setting. (unlike Guiding Light, which still sucked :laugh3:)

The USoE comparisons are what give me a shred of hope, because after USoE was first released after that scavenger hunt, I HATED it. And yet it was 50,000x better live, and most certainly the most improved track from The Resistance in a live setting. (unlike Guiding Light, which still sucked :laugh3:)

Guiding Light sucked, yeah.

I just can't get over how much Eurasia ripped off it's own coda. And yet that was the most beautiful part.

Excuse you. The music they used for the coda is part of public domain. They can use it if they want. At any rate, they only used a portion of the piece, and they added a thing or two to it. It's not a complete ripoff. That's like saying hip-hop artists who use samples are ripping off the people who originally wrote their samples. It's ridiculous.

Really?

• Piano style = I Belong To You
  • The idea of "+ Prelude" resonates with the "+" Codas/interludes, Collateral Damage and Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ton Voix
  • The chord progression begins in the same way as Eurasia
  • The delivery of the vocal is quite Uprising - aggressivish, low, like fighting talk, almost

That's just me, but I thought it was very Resistance... but at the same time... approached differently to different to anything before.

Bit of a lot in there though; Absolution strings, Origin build, Black Holes solo, Showbiz... Nah they'll never do anything like that again.

I agree with pretty much all this comment. It could of come straight out of The Resistance era. Except it's slightly more flamboyant. Like they looked at The Resistance and went-- we can expand the horizon for flamboyance. Let's go one more step.

Excuse you. The music they used for the coda is part of public domain. They can use it if they want. At any rate, they only used a portion of the piece, and they added a thing or two to it. It's not a complete ripoff. That's like saying hip-hop artists who use samples are ripping off the people who originally wrote their samples. It's ridiculous.

They took progressions straight out of a piece that they ended up using anyway, and the song they built wasn't as good as the one they borrowed from (pardon the "rip-off").

Rappers take small segments, loops, and as you say, samples. Eurasia is, to put it crudely, a 21st Century rock version of a Chopin piece; whereas any good rap song that samples is not an update on its sample.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a clever piece of work, I just think it's not quite as ingenious as say, Butterflies and Hurricanes, as a concept, as a song, as a piece of music.

WTF? No it's not. The only Chopin bit in there is "Collateral Damage," which of course makes sense because "Collateral Damage" is just a Chopin nocturne with a backing string arrangement and some background noise. USoE being in the same key as CD doesn't make it an extended version of the Chopin nocturne. Also, you need to learn the definition of chord progression; this is the second time now that you've used it incorrectly.

I think this may be their worst song (counting singles only). Didn't they had enough wannabe Queen moments already? This sounds like trash from Resistance and bad copy of Queen. Such a disappointment.