✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

WTF? No it's not. The only Chopin bit in there is "Collateral Damage," which of course makes sense because "Collateral Damage" is just a Chopin nocturne with a backing string arrangement and some background noise. USoE being in the same key as CD doesn't make it an extended version of the Chopin nocturne. Also, you need to learn the definition of chord progression; this is the second time now that you've used it incorrectly.

The second time, I didn't say chord progression. I simply said progression. The progression of the Muse song aligns, in places, with the progression of the Chopin song.

I also didn't say that it was an extended version. I said it was an update. It follows the patterns of the Chopin piece. It utilises the same build techniques of the piece.

I don't want to get all high and mighty and bring out the "I'm a musician" card, because I can't read a note of music. I play keyboard however, I have the score for Eurasia + CD and I only ever play CD because I find it a better version. They're very similar.

If you don't hear it, that's cool, I'm not forcing you into my opinion. They sound similar to me, that's all. I'm not gonna get all aggressive on your ass.

(As for Survival. It starts with the first two chords of Bb and Ebm. Eurasia starts with Eb and G#m. This is the same pattern, unless I'm very much mistaken.)

I agree with pretty much all this comment. It could of come straight out of The Resistance era. Except it's slightly more flamboyant. Like they looked at The Resistance and went-- we can expand the horizon for flamboyance. Let's go one more step.

I feel The 2nd Law could be the Mylo Xyloto to The Resistance's Viva La Vida.

That's weird because I sort of see The Resistance as the MX to BHAR'S Viva la Vida. Not exactly musically, but in the way they were received by the fans.

If the 2nd Law is Muse's MX, that would mean I'll be disowning them, declaring them dead, and being ashamed of all the money I've spent on them over the years. (except more so because I've probably only spent a few hundred on Coldplay while I've spent a couple thousand on Muse tickets and travel expenses :P)

(As for Survival. It starts with the first two chords of Bb and Ebm. Eurasia starts with Eb and G#m. This is the same pattern, unless I'm very much mistaken.)

Actually, the E-flat minor doesn't kick in until after the song starts on B-flat, goes into E-flat major, and goes back between those two keys again. Also, after USoE starts on E-flat, it goes into an Fm7, then E-flat, then A-flat minor (which makes more sense than saying it's in G-sharp because E-flat doesn't have any sharps in its key. Yeah, they're enharmonic, but I'm choosing to be pedantic right now.). At any rate, even if you WERE right, it takes more than two chords to make a chord progression. (You can make a cadence with two chords, yes, but not a progression.)

Oh, and about that other stuff. Just because you have the same chord progression going on in two songs (OMG, because that NEVER happens. /sarcasm), that doesn't mean one's trying to imitate the other. Yeah, there's the same foundation, but it's not the same song. Matt's vocal melody isn't in Chopin's work, y'know. Neither are the string bits or anything else they added to it. They might have used the chord progression, but they didn't use the melody, so it can't be called an "update," or whatever the hell it is you're calling it.

On teh moneyz.

That's weird because I sort of see The Resistance as the MX to BHAR'S Viva la Vida. Not exactly musically, but in the way they were received by the fans.

That's because Muse fans (in particular the .mu boards) are a bunch of hyper cynical, moany, doubters. So unlike Coldplayers, they are more vocal about what they dislike. Hence their distaste so early on. :dozey:

If the 2nd Law is Muse's MX, that would mean I'll be disowning them, declaring them dead, and being ashamed of all the money I've spent on them over the years. (except more so because I've probably only spent a few hundred on Coldplay while I've spent a couple thousand on Muse tickets and travel expenses :P)

HIPSTER. :escaping:

But seriously, no Wemblayyyy then? :cry:

Actually, the E-flat minor doesn't kick in until after the song starts on B-flat, goes into E-flat major, and goes back between those two keys again. Also, after USoE starts on E-flat, it goes into an Fm7, then E-flat, then A-flat minor (which makes more sense than saying it's in G-sharp because E-flat doesn't have any sharps in its key. Yeah, they're enharmonic, but I'm choosing to be pedantic right now.). At any rate, even if you WERE right, it takes more than two chords to make a chord progression. (You can make a cadence with two chords, yes, but not a progression.)

I am right...

The chord progression begins in the same way as Eurasia

The verses begin the same. Sorry, I should've been more clear, I thought it was blatantly obvious to anyone that the Eurasia intro sounded nothing like the Survival intro.

Oh, and about that other stuff. Just because you have the same chord progression going on in two songs (OMG, because that NEVER happens. /sarcasm), that doesn't mean one's trying to imitate the other. Yeah, there's the same foundation, but it's not the same song. Matt's vocal melody isn't in Chopin's work, y'know. Neither are the string bits or anything else they added to it. They might have used the chord progression, but they didn't use the melody, so it can't be called an "update," or whatever the hell it is you're calling it.

I think I've said all along it's the same foundation, I've just not put that across very well. I think I've said it in a negative light though, and you've stuck up for the song. I expect better of them to do that. Disagree by all means, but please talk to me with a bit more respect and not the sharp anger I've detected in your tone.

(OMG, because that NEVER happens. /sarcasm)

even if you WERE right

whatever the hell it is you're calling it

WTF?

LOLno

Excuse you

I'll excuse myself, thank you very much.

Totally random and I'm not a Muse fan (well I like them, but I only know the hit singles and I've never been interested enough to look up more of their songs, anyway.. ) but yesterday I listened to Unintended for the first time in years and I think it's one of the most beautiful songs ever. :wacko:

Anyway, go on :nice::escaping2:

nothing can be worse then MX

Totally random and I'm not a Muse fan (well I like them, but I only know the hit singles and I've never been interested enough to look up more of their songs, anyway.. ) but yesterday I listened to Unintended for the first time in years and I think it's one of the most beautiful songs ever. :wacko:

Listen to Origin of Symmetry! DO IT! :lol: :D

I still have no idea if I like Survival or not. It will be so so so weird to hear this all throughout the Olympics.

I can already picture the recaps with Matt's "YES I'M GONNA WIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!" in the background. :freak:

But seriously, no Wemblayyyy then? :cry:

Wembley isn't gonna happen for me. Period. I could very well go to a dozen North American shows, but flying overseas for Muse just isn't gonna be practical for me yet again. Not to mention a dozen shows here wouldn't cost any more than flying to 2 shows at Wembley.

I still have no idea if I like Survival or not. It will be so so so weird to hear this all throughout the Olympics.

I can already picture the recaps with Matt's "YES I'M GONNA WIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!" in the background. :freak:

Yeah. It's going to be full of Union Jacks and I feel that is ironic considering Matt's so anti-establishment.

I'm going to get sick of it though.

Wembley isn't gonna happen for me. Period. I could very well go to a dozen North American shows, but flying overseas for Muse just isn't gonna be practical for me yet again. Not to mention a dozen shows here wouldn't cost any more than flying to 2 shows at Wembley.

Aw, that's a shame but I understand completely! I'll just have to tap you up when I come across there next summer (all going well) :dozey:

Unintended is indeed a beautiful song.

If you want to listen to a full album, I'd suggest Absolution (their 3rd album). It's friendlier than the first two, imo, though it encompasses elements from these two first albums and the following two as well, both in a lyrical sense and a musical one. All in all, it's a good way to be introduced to Muse, I'd say.

If you'd like to listen to individual songs, here are some (I'll list very few songs because I fear a very long list may put one off):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdghOvIZlL0]Muse Hysteria, V-Festival 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PN6egPgazA]Muse - Feeling Good [Live From Wembley Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughBjosWQak]Muse - Hoodoo [Live From Wembley Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

The only criteria I used was: these are some of their songs that sound really good live (which is a constant in Muse domain). The last two videos are from HAARP, their live dvd (one of them, at least). A lot of the songs from that dvd are up on their youtube channel.

I hope it was useful somehow and that you enjoy listening to Muse :nice:

I don't know if you joking or not, but, honestly, however disappointed you're with a band because of their newest material, it isn't reason enough to erase everything else that the band has meant to you.

Not joking, I did it with Coldplay. I doubt it'll happen with Muse, though, just because even if Muse goes in a negative direction with this album, they won't stoop to the crowd-pleasing lows that Coldplay did for the sake of popularity with VLV and especially MX. Changing to be "like Queen" is a whole different beast than changing to be "like whoever has the #1 hit at the moment regardless of genre". I mean, I don't really like much of what U2's put out since the mid-90's, but I still love them anyway. They changed, but not for popularity reasons.

I disagree about MX (and VLV) being what they are just for the sake of fame or popularity, but I won't linger on the subject.

What I meant is that you probably had very good reason to like Coldplay (or some other band) in the first place and that their recent moves, if you dislike them, wouldn't rub away this reason.

I don't know if you joking or not, but, honestly, however disappointed you're with a band because of their newest material, it isn't reason enough to erase everything else that the band has meant to you.

I do agree with you on this point.

But I do also see Michael's point. Coldplay has meant significantly less to me since MX-- to the point where I dismiss them a lot of the time. They disappointed me and what they did in the past is somewhat diminished because you know where they will go in the future.

I do agree with you on this point.

But I do also see Michael's point. Coldplay has meant significantly less to me since MX-- to the point where I dismiss them a lot of the time. They disappointed me and what they did in the past is somewhat diminished because you know where they will go in the future.

That sounds very reasonable and understandable. I just wouldn't agree that everything else Coldplay did should be completely ignored because of MX (which isn't your point, of course).

I just saw this for the first time: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4M6lOvjIW8]Matthew Bellamy, amazing laugh while playing Plug In Baby - YouTube[/ame] :lol:

Does anyone know what happened there?

^ I thought so ... judging by Matt's laugh he must've fallen pretty badly though. :lol:

With a song like this, the Olympics are bound to be full of drama. :freak:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBu14q1dNP0]Muse - Survival (BBC Official Video - Longer Version) - YouTube[/ame]

I especially like the part where Michael Phelps (I think?) screams like mad and they put Matt's WIIIIIIIIIN over it. xD

^ I thought so ... judging by Matt's laugh he must've fallen pretty badly though. :lol:

With a song like this, the Olympics are bound to be full of drama. :freak:

Muse - Survival (BBC Official Video - Longer Version) - YouTube

I especially like the part where Michael Phelps (I think?) screams like mad and they put Matt's WIIIIIIIIIN over it. xD

It is Michael Phelps you're right. It's well done; as I said when I first saw it-- I bet there is a video editor somewhere out there with his feet up on the desk and being like 'yeah, I did an awesome job' just for that clip :wink3:

I believe wasn't it a crowd surfer in a rubber dingy?