✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

No, I'm not one of those persons, thanks Violet.

I still hate wawawa because it's just overall bad. Musically, lyrically, catastrophically.

And I don't feel like MX is cohesive at all, I wrote a rather large review about that somewhere here in the WoM. Therefore the whole "MX feels like an album because it's cohesive" doesn't work for me at all. Sorry.

All I'm saying is that I prefer The 2nd Law over MX every day. I think it does work as an album ... it still feels like Muse's worst album though, just like MX feels like Coldplay's worst.

Another reason for me is that I actually went on strike during three songs from MX during the concert. I just did nothing, no singing, no dancing, no screaming and definitely no applauding. And everyone who has seen me at concerts before knows that that is pretty unusual. I just couldn't bring myself to actually cheer for those songs.

Even though The 2nd Law is not really my favourite album, I can see me cheering during each song live. I can tolerate it, none of the songs make me want to cover my ears. Not really the best thing you could say about an album, but yeah...

That's cool, and I respect your opinion. I was merely asking if you were "one of those", as I mentioned in the other post. Sorry if this offended you, but you're an intelligent person, so I wondered whether you hated Every Teardrop on the basis of one line.

^Agreed.

We're all entitled to our own personal opinions. I've been a muse fan since 1999 when i first listened to sunburn and i've loved them over the years since then but i don't like the new album and their new sound. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy muse's music from previous albums or the band though.

^Agreed.

We're all entitled to our own personal opinions. I've been a muse fan since 1999 when i first listened to sunburn and i've loved them over the years since then but i don't like the new album and their new sound. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy muse's music from previous albums or the band though.

If we all go out and buy this heap of shit, pay to see it in concert, and pack a field when they headline our festivals, they'll think it's good, and do it again, and we can't have that.

Yeah, I haven't listened to T2L yet. I'm trying really really hard to hold off until the official release. It's tempting, though, to take a gander when I see so many opinions plastered on Facebook and in here.

I just gotta keep telling myself...one more week...just one more week...

...OK yeah, I caved. This thread was killing me. I was too curious. I've listened to T2L twice now, and it's time for me to share my first impressions. I'm going to use Michael's review as a reference point. (I hope you don't mind.) To be courteous to people who haven't listened to it yet, I'll spoiler it. If you don't want to know, DON'T LOOK.

Disclaimer: This is solely based on my opinion. It's not that big of a deal if you don't agree with what I'm saying. Also, this is subject to change, seeing as I haven't gotten a proper amount of listens in yet.

Supremacy - Best Muse song since MOTP. This song's existence alone prevents this from being "Muse's Mylo Xywhatever"

I'll be honest and say I don't quite understand the hype about this song. -cue people giving Violet weird looks and saying, "Grrrl, you be cray cray."- It's not that the song in itself is bad. There's some great stuff in it-the groove, the strings, the snare, the choir. My main problem, oddly enough, was Matt's vocals. The melody was a bit odd to me, especially during the guitar solo. I have no idea what the hell Matt was trying to do there. Harmonic minor shouldn't sound that complicated.

Madness - Wow, what a buzzkill after Supremacy. Was indecisive about this song before. After hearing the album, I'm pretty sure I hate it.

I slammed this song upon first hearing it. There's still things that I hate about it. Yes, I'm talking about the "mamamamamamamamamaaamaaamaaa" and the "wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwuuubwuuubwuuub" in the background that mirrors that. I don't like it. It's annoying. I can't say I hate it, though, if only for the reason that Matt sounds so damn good when he's singing in this song. My favorite part is definitely the high, long notes towards the end. :heart:

Panic Station - Super weird in a very good way. It's like a better SMBH to me (which I never liked even in the BH&R era).

Once again, I disagree with this. I was annoyed by this song. Fran said something about this sounding like RHCP (which I totally got, solely for the bass line). I think someone else compared this to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" (which, again, I totally got). It's not that I dislike either of those groups. (I really don't, especially not Queen.) It's just that this song sounds so much like the things listed above that I can't think of it as a Muse song. Also, once again, Matt's vocals were annoying. It's like he was trying to be Prince, and he failed horribly. When he went all "WOOOW!" I couldn't help but look dumbly at my laptop screen and go, "Really? REALLY?" Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Survival - Sorry, this is still a Bottom 5 Muse song for me. It's not any less shitty in the context of the full album. I really hope it doesn't remain as a set closer for the tour.

People, you can make fun of me all you want, but I still enjoy this song, prelude and all. I know some of the lyrics are, to put it mildly, not very good. I just like how it sounds. It's big and full, with plenty of guitar and backing choir.

Follow Me - It's okay, but I'm not feeling all the love for it. It's like "Resistance" gone electronica. Which was an average song too.

This was actually the turning point for me when I went through it the first time. I had heard the first three, realized how I felt about them, and started getting genuinely concerned about how the rest of the album would sound. This fixed it. The beginning would be perfect if it weren't for that weird pitch shift thing that comes up. (Annoying? Yes.) When it hits the first chorus, I was reminded of MOTP, for some reason. I think it was the synths in the background. There are bits when it goes into halftime, and I just love that. There's a similar thing that goes on in "Liquid State," which I'll get to soon enough.

Animals - Fucking great. 2nd best on the album behind "Supremacy". Showbiz/OoS vibe leading to an awesome outro.

"Fucking great" is pretty much my consensus of this song as well. It's arguably my favorite. I've only listened to the album twice, so I haven't really decided yet, but this is definitely in the running. It's rhythmic, but very chill (and not bombastic). I also dig the irregular meter. (I can't tell just by listening whether it's 5/4 or 5/8...probably 5/4, if I were to guess.) The only thing I could've done without was the last 20 seconds where it's just some random screaming.

Explorers - Trash. Monotonous trash that has no reason being more than 2 minutes, much less ALMOST 6 MINUTES.

I wouldn't be that harsh about it, but yeah, this song goes way too damn long. It's such a buzzkill after hearing "Animals," which is amazing. That's probably a huge part of the reason why I dislike this track. It just does nothing for me. I would simply like to add my thoughts on the use of percussion here. At some point, it sounds like there's some seemingly pointless use of wood block in there. Also...sleigh bells? Really? Given the depressing nature of the song, I don't understand why you'd use them. I also didn't understand why a key change was necessary. (Admittedly, having said that, the key change is my favorite part of the song.)

Big Freeze - I'm the Internet's biggest and possibly only fan of this song. 3rd or 4th favorite on the album. No joke. It's the awesome U2 tribute that "Madness" failed to be.

No, I like the song, too. It's a nice pickup from the laborious nature of "Explorers," and honestly, I can't help but feel happy when I listen to this. I like Dom's drumwork in the second verse, and Matt sounds great in the chorus.

Save Me - Meh. Chris's voice is good but never great. Some of those higher notes are wince-inducing. And after "Explorers", the last thing we needed was a tedious ballad. Though at least it's lyrically superior to Matt's fluff.

OK. I know I'm a Chris girl at heart, anyway, but I have to get this off my chest. OMG CHRIS SOUNDS SO CUUUUUUUTE. :dazzled: I could die from happiness just having heard his voice. While his upper register was slightly strained (slightly), I thought it sounded just fine. I like the general feel of the song, too. It's almost ambient in its softer portions. I think I read in here that someone compared this to Coldplay. For some reason, some of the guitar bits remind me of "High Speed." Is that weird?

Liquid State - Way better use of Chris. It's like an old Foo Fighters song. Which isn't Muse, but it's better than a lot of new Muse, heh.

One of the first reviews posted in here mentioned that Chris sounded a bit like Maynard James Keenan from Tool. I didn't get that in "Save Me," but I definitely got it here, as Chris has some growl in this song. (I believe this is what Michael meant by the Foo Fighters comparison.) I definitely dig the song. My only issue is that it's only 3 minutes long. I want more of this.

Unsustainable - Random experimentalism that just comes off as tacky. When combined with the following track, this certainly is no "Exogenesis".

Well, yeah, it's not "Exogenesis" by any means. I'll give you that much. I don't know, I just love the string part way too damn much to dismiss the song like that. I know the "dubstep" parts can never live up to that, but I've gotten to where I like it. (I was indecisive initially.) Matt's vocals are nice on this, too.

Isolated System - It's pretty, but it goes nowhere. And going nowhere isn't a good way to close an album. I think I even prefer "Hate This and I'll Love You" as a closer, for crying out loud.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. It's got some pretty stuff in there, but it doesn't make a very good closing track. (This is something I appreciated about OoS. "Megalomania" gives you pure, loud organ as your last impression of the record. I love it.) I expected more of a climax towards the end than what I got. I think I would have liked it slightly better if "Isolated System" and "Unsustainable" were switched around. Speaking of the two tracks, other than the use of the same audio clip (which, admittedly, was a bit annoying), I don't understand how the two are supposed to function as a pair. Maybe it's just me.

Overall consensus of the album: I can agree with the consensus that this is their worst album. There are too many things I dislike about it for it not to be that way. Having said that, there are too many things I like for me to say that I dislike the album as a whole. I think this is something that, with more listens, I can become accustomed to.

Also, like Imke, I'll take this over MX any day of the week. I'm not saying that because I'm a Muse fan. I'm saying it because that's how I honestly feel. I'm sorry if you don't like it or if that offends you (although I don't get why that would offend anyone).

So yeah. It's all there. Hopefully, someone reads this so I didn't type this up for nothing.

Violet, I agree with you about a lot of your review (minus Panic Station and Survival, I really like both of those).

I was having a long Muse conversation with my friend in gym yesterday (we were walking around in circles on the track for 50 minutes, so dull ;n; ) and we both agreed that it's their worst album. There's something about the style though that I really like. It's not the Muse that I think of when I hear their name, but I still really enjoyed listening to it. I think this is just part of them changing; as their lives change and their music influences change so will their music.

~

And while I agree that everyone's entitled to their opinions, I would very much appreciate it if in expressing your opinion you did not ruin the discussion for the rest of us. There's a difference between saying what you didn't like, and simply insulting it.

...OK yeah, I caved. This thread was killing me. I was too curious. I've listened to T2L twice now, and it's time for me to share my first impressions. I'm going to use Michael's review as a reference point. (I hope you don't mind.) To be courteous to people who haven't listened to it yet, I'll spoiler it. If you don't want to know, DON'T LOOK.

Disclaimer: This is solely based on my opinion. It's not that big of a deal if you don't agree with what I'm saying. Also, this is subject to change, seeing as I haven't gotten a proper amount of listens in yet.

I'll be honest and say I don't quite understand the hype about this song. -cue people giving Violet weird looks and saying, "Grrrl, you be cray cray."- It's not that the song in itself is bad. There's some great stuff in it-the groove, the strings, the snare, the choir. My main problem, oddly enough, was Matt's vocals. The melody was a bit odd to me, especially during the guitar solo. I have no idea what the hell Matt was trying to do there. Harmonic minor shouldn't sound that complicated.

I slammed this song upon first hearing it. There's still things that I hate about it. Yes, I'm talking about the "mamamamamamamamamaaamaaamaaa" and the "wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwuuubwuuubwuuub" in the background that mirrors that. I don't like it. It's annoying. I can't say I hate it, though, if only for the reason that Matt sounds so damn good when he's singing in this song. My favorite part is definitely the high, long notes towards the end. :heart:

Once again, I disagree with this. I was annoyed by this song. Fran said something about this sounding like RHCP (which I totally got, solely for the bass line). I think someone else compared this to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" (which, again, I totally got). It's not that I dislike either of those groups. (I really don't, especially not Queen.) It's just that this song sounds so much like the things listed above that I can't think of it as a Muse song. Also, once again, Matt's vocals were annoying. It's like he was trying to be Prince, and he failed horribly. When he went all "WOOOW!" I couldn't help but look dumbly at my laptop screen and go, "Really? REALLY?" Yeah, I'm not a fan.

People, you can make fun of me all you want, but I still enjoy this song, prelude and all. I know some of the lyrics are, to put it mildly, not very good. I just like how it sounds. It's big and full, with plenty of guitar and backing choir.

This was actually the turning point for me when I went through it the first time. I had heard the first three, realized how I felt about them, and started getting genuinely concerned about how the rest of the album would sound. This fixed it. The beginning would be perfect if it weren't for that weird pitch shift thing that comes up. (Annoying? Yes.) When it hits the first chorus, I was reminded of MOTP, for some reason. I think it was the synths in the background. There are bits when it goes into halftime, and I just love that. There's a similar thing that goes on in "Liquid State," which I'll get to soon enough.

"Fucking great" is pretty much my consensus of this song as well. It's arguably my favorite. I've only listened to the album twice, so I haven't really decided yet, but this is definitely in the running. It's rhythmic, but very chill (and not bombastic). I also dig the irregular meter. (I can't tell just by listening whether it's 5/4 or 5/8...probably 5/4, if I were to guess.) The only thing I could've done without was the last 20 seconds where it's just some random screaming.

I wouldn't be that harsh about it, but yeah, this song goes way too damn long. It's such a buzzkill after hearing "Animals," which is amazing. That's probably a huge part of the reason why I dislike this track. It just does nothing for me. I would simply like to add my thoughts on the use of percussion here. At some point, it sounds like there's some seemingly pointless use of wood block in there. Also...sleigh bells? Really? Given the depressing nature of the song, I don't understand why you'd use them. I also didn't understand why a key change was necessary. (Admittedly, having said that, the key change is my favorite part of the song.)

No, I like the song, too. It's a nice pickup from the laborious nature of "Explorers," and honestly, I can't help but feel happy when I listen to this. I like Dom's drumwork in the second verse, and Matt sounds great in the chorus.

OK. I know I'm a Chris girl at heart, anyway, but I have to get this off my chest. OMG CHRIS SOUNDS SO CUUUUUUUTE. :dazzled: I could die from happiness just having heard his voice. While his upper register was slightly strained (slightly), I thought it sounded just fine. I like the general feel of the song, too. It's almost ambient in its softer portions. I think I read in here that someone compared this to Coldplay. For some reason, some of the guitar bits remind me of "High Speed." Is that weird?

One of the first reviews posted in here mentioned that Chris sounded a bit like Maynard James Keenan from Tool. I didn't get that in "Save Me," but I definitely got it here, as Chris has some growl in this song. (I believe this is what Michael meant by the Foo Fighters comparison.) I definitely dig the song. My only issue is that it's only 3 minutes long. I want more of this.

Well, yeah, it's not "Exogenesis" by any means. I'll give you that much. I don't know, I just love the string part way too damn much to dismiss the song like that. I know the "dubstep" parts can never live up to that, but I've gotten to where I like it. (I was indecisive initially.) Matt's vocals are nice on this, too.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. It's got some pretty stuff in there, but it doesn't make a very good closing track. (This is something I appreciated about OoS. "Megalomania" gives you pure, loud organ as your last impression of the record. I love it.) I expected more of a climax towards the end than what I got. I think I would have liked it slightly better if "Isolated System" and "Unsustainable" were switched around. Speaking of the two tracks, other than the use of the same audio clip (which, admittedly, was a bit annoying), I don't understand how the two are supposed to function as a pair. Maybe it's just me.

Overall consensus of the album: I can agree with the consensus that this is their worst album. There are too many things I dislike about it for it not to be that way. Having said that, there are too many things I like for me to say that I dislike the album as a whole. I think this is something that, with more listens, I can become accustomed to.

Also, like Imke, I'll take this over MX any day of the week. I'm not saying that because I'm a Muse fan. I'm saying it because that's how I honestly feel. I'm sorry if you don't like it or if that offends you (although I don't get why that would offend anyone).

So yeah. It's all there. Hopefully, someone reads this so I didn't type this up for nothing.

Awesome review Violet! Pretty much the same review i'd give to the album. I'd add that matt's screams during the last min of "Follow me" reminded me a lot of Bono and Big freeze sounds very U2ish to me but that's just my personal opinion.

It's their worst album so far in my opinion but i'd choose it anyday over MX.

Thanks, Ren. :blush:

I did have in my notes that the end of "Follow Me" reminded me a bit of U2, but I didn't feel like I knew enough about U2 to actually say that. (Especially since I don't really like them all that much. Bono's voice bothers me.)

I am not taking away your opinions, but keep them away as long as they are offending bands work.

Don't worry about the bands. They'd take us haters over the crazy, stalker-ish, let's-take-pictures-in-front-of-their-private-houses-yay fans everyday. :nod:

I agree with a lot you said, Vi! Especially about Madness. I really enjoy the last minute of it when it doesn't sound so mamamamama ... the end kinda destroys it again though, haha.

I actually really love Panic Station though. :P I understand why people are comparing it to other songs but I still like it, haha.

I totally agree about Survival too. I know it's so over the top, but I still really enjoy it, especially the guitars. So I won't be the one making fun of you, I'll join you and take all the jokes with you. :P

And I like Explorers too. It is so cheesy though. I can totally see someone kneeling down in front of their love, putting on their best puppy-eyes-look and going all "Fwee me, fwee me, fwee fwom this ring?" and the woman goes "Sure thing, fwee me and I'll fwee you." Oh. my. the. adorableness. :blush:

Okay, that was random, sorry.

matt.gif

But to be honest, Save Me doesn't work at all for me. The song overall feels pretty bland to me and even the fact that Chris sings it can't save it for me.

I'm too lazy right now to type a proper review. I feel like my English is still asleep. :escaping:

And I don't feel like MX is cohesive at all, I wrote a rather large review about that somewhere here in the WoM. Therefore the whole "MX feels like an album because it's cohesive" doesn't work for me at all. Sorry.

All I'm saying is that I prefer The 2nd Law over MX every day. I think it does work as an album ... it still feels like Muse's worst album though, just like MX feels like Coldplay's worst.

As already seen I say that MX is cohesive. I think although there are a variety of different elements to the album it flows better than T2L does. The transitions certainly aren't as jarring or as noticeable. I do think Coldplay thought about album order whereas Muse seem to have just tacked them together in the order they were written.

But that's just me.

And I'd probably agree with you after listening to it a few times. The low points of MX are horrendously low; whereas for T2L, the lows are tolerable.

But yeah, I'd go with it being their worst too. I find the lows on T2L lower than TR-- which I thought at the beginning.

So I'm not eating any of my previous words. :P

I would ban people saying bands album is bad from listening to the band forever. Seriously.

What a wonderful, positive, freedom of speech world you must live in. Have fun with that.

All of their albums are at the same level. There is no reason to put one above another.

Um, really? You can honestly say The Resistance is on the same par with Abso and OoS? Seriously?

Well, apparently there is reason for some of us otherwise we wouldn't do it, eh? :thinking:

Preach it.

My list would have to go:

OoS > Showbiz & Abso > BHaR > TR > T2L

I can't make my opinion until I hear the songs in live.

Some songs can be better with Matt's riffs in live, hum I hope!

For the moment, my 1st impression is that I don't like the album especially Madness (mamamama...), Survival (too much choral), unsustainable, Animals (so boring, so repetitive: animals animals...) and Panic Station (what's was that Matt, seriously!). For me, there so much choral on this album.

I'm a fan since 1999. Showbiz is my favorite album, and after that, OOS and I can't recognize Muse on T2L (except Matt's voice).

I can't wait to see them tomorrow to make my opinion about their songs because it might be different between the studio version and live version.

Like Coldplay with MX: I don't like HLH and CB before hearing these songs in live so let's hope!

Damn, Violet, you should've just posted "my opinion is everything that isn't Michael's". :P Kidding, good write-up. I forgot to post here that "Isolated System" feels the middle of an epic track that's sorely lacking a Part 3.

Anyway, I've decided I'm ranking this below The Resistance. Higher highs but lower lows. The Resistance had about 2 tracks I loved, 2 tracks I hated, and lots of middle-of-the-road material otherwise. Whereas here, it's a lot of love and a lot of hatred with very little to compensate in the middle. (though the fact that it actually has songs I enjoy means this has no business being compared to MX. Not unless it was 12 tracks in the style of "Madness" would it be that awful.)

Abso > OoS > BH&R > Showbiz > Resistance > 2nd Law

And I'd probably agree with you after listening to it a few times. The low points of MX are horrendously low; whereas for T2L, the lows are tolerable.

But yeah, I'd go with it being their worst too. I find the lows on T2L lower than TR-- which I thought at the beginning.

Anyway, I've decided I'm ranking this below The Resistance. Higher highs but lower lows. The Resistance had about 2 tracks I loved, 2 tracks I hated, and lots of middle-of-the-road material otherwise. Whereas here, it's a lot of love and a lot of hatred with very little to compensate in the middle. (though the fact that it actually has songs I enjoy means this has no business being compared to MX. Not unless it was 12 tracks in the style of "Madness" would it be that awful.)

Oh I thought I had totally heard that answer before somewhere.