✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The U songs

Nikola

Guest howyousawtheworld

I don't actually like the presence of the U songs on MX bar Up With The Birds. They are fine, lovely songs in their own right but for me they sound a bit strange alongside the electronic assault the rest of the songs give. The only reason I like Up With The Birds is that it concludes the album so well - it sits well as a sort of "open the curtains in the morning and set eyes on a sunny morning" ending to all the electronic mayhem/storm that went before it. It's near perfect.

I don't actually like the presence of the U songs on MX bar Up With The Birds. They are fine, lovely songs in their own right but for me they sound a bit strange alongside the electronic assault the rest of the songs give. The only reason I like Up With The Birds is that it concludes the album so well - it sits well as a sort of "open the curtains in the morning and set eyes on a sunny morning" ending to all the electronic mayhem/storm that went before it. It's near perfect.

:nod:

Chris called the album "schizophrenic". You know the story - they started with an acoustic album and ended up enoxificaded and poptastic but they kept some of the songs in their original arrangements. UATW is really needed between CB and ETIAW. I LOVE the live version. UIF sounds really good on quality speakers and it follows the story of POC. UWTB I find a bit overrated, but I do get lost in its epicness from time to time. UFO was definitely the biggest disappointment, and I think it's the weakest song on the album (it is nice though), because I expected a crazy experimental radioactive lasery LSD hallucination which pretty much ended up being the most conservative Coldplay song eva.

I've noticed they didn't have any songs starting with U until MX era. That's...random :lol:

:surprised:

Anyways, my ranking:

1. UATW
  2. UWTB
  3. UIF
  4. UFO

I chose U.F.O because it just took me completely by surprise. I listened to it in the context of the album, and at first I thought "meh". But I listened to it again on its own and it snuck up on me with how lovely and pensive it is. I love the lyrics, and the combination of strings and guitar is gorgeous. Sure, in the context of the album it's kinda out of place, and maybe dull in comparison to the other songs, but by itself it's a wonderful little song. Also the little sound at the end is cool :awesome:

:nod:

Chris called the album "schizophrenic". You know the story - they started with an acoustic album and ended up enoxificaded and poptastic but they kept some of the songs in their original arrangements. UATW is really needed between CB and ETIAW. I LOVE the live version. UIF sounds really good on quality speakers and it follows the story of POC. UWTB I find a bit overrated, but I do get lost in it's epicness from time to time. UFO was definitely the biggest disappointment, and I think it's the weakest song on the album (it is nice though), because I expected a crazy experimental radioactive lasery LSD hallucination which pretty much ended up being the most conservative Coldplay song eva.

:surprised:

Anyways, my ranking:

1. UATW
  2. UWTB
  3. UIF
  4. UFO

I was literally about to type this exact post. :lol:

Up With The Birds is theire weekest album closer for me, it lacks the epic feeling of Death And All His Friends/The Escapist or Amsterdam and the tenderness of Til Kingdom Come and Everything's Not Lost/Life is For Living, the rest of the U songs are great. UFO really fits on the album for me and the other 2 are great emotional pieces, so here's my rank:

Us Against The World

U.F.O.

Up In Flames

Up With The Birds

it sits well as a sort of "open the curtains in the morning and set eyes on a sunny morning" ending to all the electronic mayhem/storm that went before it. It's near perfect.

I agree completely. Up With the Birds :wacky:

Each song though sits well in its own right. Up With the Birds as a beautiful closer song. Us Against the World is the beautiful acoustic love/struggle song. U.F.O is the uplifting acoustic number leading to a break up (Princess of China). And Up in Flames is the perfect remorse song after POC.

I would have to say, based on their placing on the album:

1. Up With the Birds

2. Up in Flames

3. Us Against the World

4. U.F.O

But just on the songs I don't get tired of.

1. Us Against the World

2. Up With the Birds

3. Up in Flames/U.F.O.

I love them all - but my favourite is probably Up in Flames. I know- weird, right?

I still think Up with the Birds is way too short. It just gets going and then it ends. Plus they don't play it live which is incredibly confusing to me.

I was literally about to type this exact post. :lol:

:smug:

I chose U.F.O because it just took me completely by surprise. I listened to it in the context of the album, and at first I thought "meh". But I listened to it again on its own and it snuck up on me with how lovely and pensive it is. I love the lyrics, and the combination of strings and guitar is gorgeous. Sure, in the context of the album it's kinda out of place, and maybe dull in comparison to the other songs, but by itself it's a wonderful little song. Also the little sound at the end is cool :awesome:

Yeah, it's a nice little harp intro to POC. :nice:

Again, I do like UFO, it's just that it's the complete opposite of what I expected it to be.

And it's like a contrast to POC so it makes the album more interesting and diverse.

I wouldn't wanna change a thing on MX... :smug2: