✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Wish list for next era tour

Kingzilla

I think MX era is pretty much over so I've been thinking about what I want in a few years (or sooner I hope). I've made a top 5 list:

5. X&Y: More songs from X&Y. Twisted Logic would be a great addition. White shadows before Fix You would be amazing and all those songs.

4. Three MX songs only: I am going to get roasted for this, I know. But I want more X&Y songs a less MX songs. Take out Major Minus, Up in Flames, Princess of china. Keep Hurts like heaven, ETDIAWF and Charlie brown/Paradise (maybe you switch around those two halfway through the tour). I want more Parachutes, Viva la Vida. What happen to strawberry swing? I'd take that song over POC any day.

3. Bring back the Fix You lamp: For some reason, I think it is the best prop I have ever seen used in a concert. It symbolizes hope and the way he swings the light around the stadium is just epic.

2. Amsterdam as a regular: it's probably my favorite Coldplay song and I REALLY want to hear Amsterdam when they come to Vancouver. Even if it is the acoustic version, I don't mind, but I'd prefer the rocking version.

1. Bigger setlist: I am hoping for at least 25 30 songs next tour. They have enough hits to do a three hour, 40 song concert if they wanted so a two hour one would be easy enough with hits to spare. I don't know why they haven't increased it, but with six albums with probably around 90-100 songs that they will have, it isn't too much to ask for a bigger set list.

What changes or additions do you want?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that only 3 or 4 MX songs would survive, like you say, I'd keep ETIAW, Charlie Brown and Paradise, love Hurts Like Heaven but I'm not sure where it would fit in concert wise, assuming they'll start their new tour concerts with a new opener.

Genuinely can't see them dropping MX songs in favour of X&Y. They're just going to continue their normal trend of playing their hits, and adding five/six from LP6.

So you'll see a very similar setlist with Princess of China, MX/Hurts Like Heaven, Up in Flames, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Us Against the World and Major Minus dropped. There's no way they will drop Charlie Brown, Paradise and Every Teardrop, they're far too popular.

Would definitely love to have Strawberry Swing back in the setlist- one of the best songs from Viva La Vida in my opinion.

But I agree with more X&Y and less of Mylo, the older stuff always goes down better anyway!

They should keep Warning Sign in their set too- my favourite.

I would like them to be less predictable. Not a greatest hits-setlist with a focus on the latest record,

and not the same setlist every evening (bit longer could also do, but for me the first two would be more important).

And, oh yes. Tell me you hate me for it, but I want them to drop their playback thing.

There are lots of bands who add supporting musicians for keyboards or rythmguitar (Muse did that, Killers do that, even Radiohead got a second drummer).

I just want it to be more 'live' than playing along to a precorded backing track.

I see that for example VLV would be difficult, but they are like using on nearly every song which is too much in my opinion.

Ain't gonna happen, just wishing for it.

Longer shows, yes, but there's no way they'd ever do a 30-40 song setlist. Have you seen how tired and sweaty Chris looks after 20 songs with all the jumping about he does? He'd probably be dead before they reached 30 songs :laugh3:

22-24 songs sounds more reasonable for the next tour.

I think next tour will include BIGGEST SETLIST!!! My favourite songs to play are:

Parachutes: Shiver, trouble or Everything´s not lost .....It´s one of my favourite songs and I think it´s incredible when Chris plays the piano and Will sings at the end of the song! I love it! :)

A rush of blood to my head: CLOCKS obviously. I think that Green eyes, Warning sign and Amsterdan must be played too. They are really good!!

X&Y: In spite of they not include many songs of it, I´d add Low or X&Y

Viva la vida: I ask for they play STRAWBERRY SWING!!!!!!!!!!! It´s a perfect song!!!!!!

Mylo Xyloto: I think they will only play the most famous songs: Paradise, ETIAW and Charlie Brown

Anyway, I hope they not take too much time to return to the stage and we can enjoy new shows sooner!!! :)

I agree Stawberry Swing needs to come back

Paradise might remain though as it was really famous in MX they should bring back more of x and y and AROBTTH like Daylight, The Hardest Part, studio version of Speed of Sound I guess it wouldn't hurt to squeeze in a little Life in Technicolour :D

Kingzilla (OP), I cometely agree with your suggestions.

I would also love a more varied setlist - don't JUST play all the singles, let's hear some album tracks and leeser known material. 'See you soon', 'X&Y' (song), LiTii, Strawberry Swing... even 'Such a Rush' (not bloody likely).

Cut out the use of backing tracks entirely. Perhaps it's permissable to have some strings on a backing track... perhaps.

Longer setlists. Chris also shouldn't feel the need to exhaust himself so much every show... I think a more relaxed, possibly more serious attitude wuldn't hurt. The atmosphere they managed to create suring their previous tours was very special, and there was a distinct lack of running aroung and rolling on the ground. Not that I'm saying a bit of dancing around isn't great, it's just that it doesn't have to be constant. That way they'd have more energy for a longer setlist. It really should be 2hrs next time around.

Chris also shouldn't feel the need to exhaust himself so much every show... I think a more relaxed, possibly more serious attitude wuldn't hurt. The atmosphere they managed to create suring their previous tours was very special, and there was a distinct lack of running aroung and rolling on the ground. Not that I'm saying a bit of dancing around isn't great, it's just that it doesn't have to be constant. That way they'd have more energy for a longer setlist.
I think that comes from the fact that they play in huge venues and Chris really wants to make as many people as possible feel acknowledged and a part of the show. The bigger the venue, the more Chris runs :lol:

I think that comes from the fact that they play in huge venues and Chris really wants to make as many people as possible feel acknowledged and a part of the show. The bigger the venue, the more Chris runs :lol:

I do love the way the band try to make everyone feel included :)

As Coldplay makes more albums, and more hits, they think they'll have to at least increase the setlist a little. Each album makes about 4 hits people wil recogonize, so 4x6=24. 24 is the minimum, plus a few more from their latest album, plus a few fan favorites makes about 27-30 songs. In comparison, Michael Jackson was doing two hour concerts dancing the entire time. Without any ballads. Put in more ballads and have more resting points in between heavy movers.

They don't play 4 songs from every album though. For example on the MX tour they mostly only played 1 song from Parachutes (Yellow), 2 from X&Y (Fix You and Speed of Sound) and 3 from Viva (VLV, Violet Hill and LIJ).

And by your logic, U2 have 12 albums so they should play at least 48 songs minimum which is obviously ridiculous.

1. LP6 opener

2. Politik

3. Violet Hill

4. GPASUYF

5. The Scientist

6. Trouble

7. Paradise

8. Shiver

9. A Rush of Blood to the Head

10 LP 6 2

11. What If

12. Lp 6 3

13. Viva La Vida

14. Yes

15. LP 6 4

16. Charlie Brown

17. Amsterdam

18. White Shadows

19. Fix You

20. ETDIAWF

Encore 1

21. Life in Technicolor ii

22. LP 6 5 (Biggest hit)

23. Strawberry Swing

24. Warning Sign

25. Spies

26. In My Place

27. Everything's not lost

Encore 2

28. Don't Panic

29. Us Against The World

30. Sparks

31. Yellow

32. Clocks

33. LP6 closer

That is my dream setlist. I don't think Chris would be much more tired off this set then in this years. There are about 13-17 songs in this set that don't require him tiring himself out, varying by what the next album is going to be like. Remember this tour had a bunch of high tempo pop numbers with Chris not having an instrument. When you put in the ones he does, suddenly he doesn't have to move around so much. This gives a nice balance between rockers and ballads.

They don't play 4 songs from every album though. For example on the MX tour they mostly only played 1 song from Parachutes (Yellow), 2 from X&Y (Fix You and Speed of Sound) and 3 from Viva (VLV, Violet Hill and LIJ).

And by your logic, U2 have 12 albums so they should play at least 48 songs minimum which is obviously ridiculous.

I don't expect them to play 4 songs from every album. That would be tiring. Imagine Paul McCartney with all the beatle and solo albums. It would be like six hours long lol. I simply think that with more hits mean you need to increase the setlist so you can still play a good number of hits from each album. I understand if Parachutes is ignored a bit. But, 22 songs is something Maroon 5 plays. I understand if they don't play 30+ songs, even though they could, but 25+ is perfectly reasonable for a band with five (hopefully six soon) acclaimed albums.

Genuinely can't see them dropping MX songs in favour of X&Y. They're just going to continue their normal trend of playing their hits, and adding five/six from LP6.

So you'll see a very similar setlist with Princess of China, MX/Hurts Like Heaven, Up in Flames, Don't Let It Break Your Heart, Us Against the World and Major Minus dropped. There's no way they will drop Charlie Brown, Paradise and Every Teardrop, they're far too popular.

I disagree. I think it's quite obvious only a few MX songs will stay. Yes, the album has a handful of hits, but so did Viva, X&Y, etc. They will only keep a few, and continue to move around their older material, to have it 50/50 for all the people attending.

My guesses for what stays: UATW, ETIAW, Charlie Brown and Paradise.

I'd still love for Coldplay to switch it up each night. I suppose that's harder to do with Xylobands, but still.

Les over-produced shows and less rushing between the songs, there's no hurry!;)

Paradise and Charlie Brown will definitely stay but the others, I'm not that sure.

Why? I'd rather Chris run around and have a good time, than sit in one spot and look half-interested.