✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Mar-2014] Coldplay @ Sony Pictures Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Tash

Just got back from the show and figured I might as well dust off this account. ;)

Quick note for those going tomorrow: get there early. We had a priority ticket from 1iota, which said the garage opens at 5:30. 1iota are a bunch of liars. We pulled through the gates at 5:29 and there were already over 100 people in the priority line. Not a big deal as the show held close to 1,000 and we still managed to be about 4 feet from the stage, but it kinda sucked since we had been killing time in that area since about 3:00. I'm not sure how early they starting letting people in, but if you get there early I would suggest trying to park before 5:30.

Not sure what's already been covered/gleaned from twitter, but setlist was as follows:

1. Paradise

2. Clocks

-5 min break-

Ghost Stories cover to cover

-5 min break-

Viva La Vida

Fix You

Paradise again (Chris mentioned them needing to film it again, so it sounds like they'll be releasing more than just Ghost Stories on film).

Speaking of the film, the show producer mentioned it would be TV and DVD. Chris said at the beginning it would be dropping close to when the album was released.

As far as the songs, I'm horrible at giving decent descriptions (especially for songs I've only heard once), so I'll give extremely scattered impressions and you guys can feel free to ask more about any specifics.

Nothing about the songs we've already heard has changed. Always In My Head still feels a bit truncated to me, and I was hoping that for some reason they didn't play the whole thing at the iTunes festival, but apparently that's the full song. Still love it though.

Magic stayed the same. Sounds great live.

Ink was one of the songs that really stood out to me. Classic Coldplay, very upbeat. Chris was on acoustic guitar for this one.

True Love I honestly don't remember that much about, other than it being slower than Ink.

Midnight... I was not a fan of Midnight when it came out. That said, it's probably one of their best songs live. Something I think they added (at least I don't remember it from iTunes) is that Chris also plays the laser harp for this one.

Another's Arms is still probably my least favorite off the album, but it's been smoothed out considerably since their iTunes performance. Still no fixing those lyrics though :P

Oceans is another calmer one. Will uses his drum kit to make some sort of ship's horn sound for 3 or 4 notes that builds the base for the melody. The atmosphere definitely live's up to the song's name

A Sky Full Of Stars is the other stand out for me. It starts pretty low key. Chris was muttering/whispering something unintelligible toward the beginning. Pretty sure it's part of the song, but I couldn't understand a word. :D Then it builds a little and stays mid-road for a bit before absolutely exploding (think the chorus of DLIBYH). This is also where the star confetti came in. Massive energy in the crowd for this one.

Lastly, O closes out the album nicely. It follows the characteristics of some of the other GS tracks in that it doesn't build to that massive conclusion that Coldplay is fond of, but it's still very impactful. Chris on piano; Will plays a bit of electric guitar on this one (I don't remember him touching his drums for this song at all).

Again, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer. The other super awesome thing was the way the set/stage was laid out and decorated. I don't want to spoil anything for those who get to go tomorrow, but let's just say there are no bad seats in the house, and even though there are close to 1000 people in the room, it feels way smaller...

Oh, and regarding the wristbands, they were handed out after the tickets were scanned. Nothing special about them.

Thank you so much for the details!

Do you (or anyone else) by any chance remember what the "O" lyrics are about? Do they mention a "missing piece"? Thanks!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does oceans/stars seem a central theme?

More just being outdoors at night, which includes stars, but oceans are a part of it with some of the projections they used. It's very much a multi media presentation, with visual projections for the Ghost Stories songs.

Do you think they will try to do this for the arena shows?

I could see them using these visual projections but not in the same way, as they are using the ceiling a lot in these performances. It's all in the round with the ceiling and the upper area of the walls being used as the "video screens".

I'm really happy that all of the songs from GS can be played live, unlike MX for exemple.

But I'm still a bit confused (just woke up). Was this concert taking place after a video shoot for one of the songs, or was the whole concert a video shoot (For the movie/DVD)? :-)

Wasn't there but from what i hear the hole thing was recorded.

Was this concert taking place after a video shoot for one of the songs, or was the whole concert a video shoot (For the movie/DVD)? :-)

The concert was recorded and the video shoot is taking place today.

Went to tonights concert (Friday). It is a DVD that will also be sold when Ghost Stories comes out. Chris came out specifically before they sung, on his own, gave us a warm welcome and explained that this is the first time they are doing this. It is and was a super intimate show. He said it is a first, for him and the band. Tonights show is mainly going to be on the DVD. Saturdays show is going to make up the parts that went "wrong" on todays show. I asked a couple of the members working there and they all said basically because it is the first night of them playing, tonights show was super LIVE and tomorrow shows (Saturdays show) is more constructed and more organized. One of the stage guys said it was going to basically be more of getting the audience to clap and yell and such (but the same songs or so as tonight). My seat was right in front of Chris and the band. There were no security or walls or basically anything from going up on the stage with him. Truly an intimate show. They played the entire album and no one had a cell phone. NO ONE. IT was super strict. Regardless of anything, Coldplay is Coldplay. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy! I am still in shock. It was incredibly heavenly. You can tell Chris does this for the music and the feel of it. Nothing having to do with money. His wife walked around and talked to the fans. No one went crazy or anything. Truly best show ever. Wish everyone would of gone!

And another thing, this album is entirely about "heart beats". He kept beating at his chest. A lot of the songs were heavily about love. His wife was behind me and he kept looking up to her and pointing to her and she was laughing and smiling right back at him. The album is sweet and to the point. Love and heart beats.

Went to tonights concert (Friday). It is a DVD that will also be sold when Ghost Stories comes out. Chris came out specifically before they sung, on his own, gave us a warm welcome and explained that this is the first time they are doing this. It is and was a super intimate show. He said it is a first, for him and the band. Tonights show is mainly going to be on the DVD. Saturdays show is going to make up the parts that went "wrong" on todays show. I asked a couple of the members working there and they all said basically because it is the first night of them playing, tonights show was super LIVE and tomorrow shows (Saturdays show) is more constructed and more organized. One of the stage guys said it was going to basically be more of getting the audience to clap and yell and such (but the same songs or so as tonight). My seat was right in front of Chris and the band. There were no security or walls or basically anything from going up on the stage with him. Truly an intimate show. They played the entire album and no one had a cell phone. NO ONE. IT was super strict. Regardless of anything, Coldplay is Coldplay. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy! I am still in shock. It was incredibly heavenly. You can tell Chris does this for the music and the feel of it. Nothing having to do with money. His wife walked around and talked to the fans. No one went crazy or anything. Truly best show ever. Wish everyone would of gone!

:thumbsup: Thanks. Sounds like the best experience one could have.