✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Mar-2014] Coldplay @ Sony Pictures Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Tash

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I just received a reply from 1iota and they said there won't be a check in area for cell phones. How the heck am I supposed to tell my parents where to pick me up?

Yesterday they made multiple announcements to us in line to leave the phones in the car and that we'd be turned away if we had them. Then right before they walked us through the metal detectors they said if we still had phones we could check them before we go in. Obviously no guarantees that it'll work the same today. If I were you I'd just go to one of the 1iota employees and let them know the situation. I'm sure they have some way of handling something like that.

Coldplay Debut 'Ghost Stories' on a Soundstage at Intimate L.A. Show

Chris Martin and Co. preview May 16th album for crowd of 800

"Welcome to my standup comedy show," Coldplay's Chris Martin joked last night as he stood alone at the mic, thanking 800 invited guests to a live performance of the band's upcoming Ghost Stories album. The show was about to begin.

It was the first of two nights on a movie soundstage at Sony Studios in Culver City, California, where the quartet performed Ghost Stories on camera for a future DVD connected to the album's May 16th release. But for fans in the audience, it was more like an intimate concert experience than a typical TV taping, which can often mean many long pauses and set changes between songs. At Sony, the music flowed.

To warm up the room, Coldplay began with "Paradise," one of the band's most recognizable hits. The sound was crisp and bright, as a fog machine filled the room with atmosphere. It was followed by "Clocks," as laser streams of light and color streaked across the screens that circled the room.

After a brief exit, Coldplay returned to perform Ghost Stories in order, beginning with "Always in My Head." The song of devotion unfolded from a dreamy guitar pattern, as Martin swayed behind the mic. Then came "Magic," the album's first single, and already familiar to fans, who clapped a beat to the newest Coldplay song of tortured love: "If you were to ask me, after all that we've been through, I still believe in magic."

A few songs from Ghost Stories were performed two weeks earlier at South By Southwest in Austin, but this was the first time anyone had heard the full collection of songs. Martin noted the small setting, where the band could see "the whites of people's eyes."

The band then debuted the light, glancing guitar rhythm of "Ink," as Martin sang, "All I know is I am lost without your love . . . so much it hurts."

"True Love" was a song of bright musical colors anchored to a heartbreak beat and a slicing solo from guitarist Jonny Buckland. An understated "Midnight" was set to a brooding electronic rhythm, Martin's voice altered with synthetic but dramatic shadings.

Martin was back at the piano for "Another's Arms," a melancholy love song with chiming guitar as footage of women slowly tumbling underwater filled the screens. "Oceans" was understated but sweeping, with another aching vocal, shifting from tenor to falsetto: "I'm ready for it all."

"A Sky Full of Stars" began with a swell of pre-recorded sounds, as Martin looked up, bouncing on his heels, and sang with increasing excitement. The tune ended with geysers of star-shaped confetti shooting into the air, falling like snowflakes, as Martin sang the closing line, "Such a heavenly view."

Martin then introduced the rest of the band, calling Champion "the musical director — he's the boss." The singer added, "It's a very special night for us. It's a dream come true."

The final song from Ghost Stories was "O (Fly On)," a piano ballad that was energetic but vulnerable: "Maybe one day I'll fly next to you."

The band returned for a few closing hits, starting with "Viva La Vida," which had the crowd back to clapping a beat as Champion stood pounding a drum with a mallet. It was followed by a gospel-flavored "Fix You," and then a repeat of "Paradise" that Martin said was "for the cameras."

Fans were still on their feet as the band left the small stage, marking the end of an elegant night of love songs from Coldplay. A lot of them will be grateful that cameras were there to capture it.

link

I feel very overwhelmed in a positive way now, lucky lucky people who got to hear Ghost Stories live!

I think we have all sort of sussed out that lyrically, it doesn't seem to be a masterpiece but musically and emotionally, hits the right notes so far, Ghost Stories is going to be one of my favourite albums no doubt :D

These shows remind me a bit like a secretive live leak (2005) which was one of my favourite live shows and with possibility of a DVD, it's going to perfect!

Edit - 666th post - Spooky!!

It would be amazing if they did something similar for the main tour, playing the entire album in full for the first half, then mixture of other songs for a 2nd half of the show (something similar which Travis did a few years ago with Ode to J Smith album)

It would be amazing if they did something similar for the main tour, playing the entire album in full for the first half, then mixture of other songs for a 2nd half of the show (something similar which Travis did a few years ago with Ode to J Smith album)

That sounds pretty possible, given that apparently the album does not fit very well with the rest of the songs.